Official thread for the 2010 Princess 1/2 Marathon & 5k- REGSITRATION IS OPEN!

Still haven't signed up, I'm trying to get my times down a bit before I do so that I can move up in corrals... Two of my friends have committed to coming too, one from Florida and one from Wisconsin!! I'm sooo excited!:banana:

My mom and I are planning on doing it! It will be our first marathon-like event. We are complete beginners and are pretty out of shape, but there is nothing like Disney to motivate us to get in shape! :cool1:

Alice - Welcome!! I would suggest the coolrunning.com Couch to 5k plan as a start, that's what i used for training for my first 5k... Then, i would look into getting "Marathoning for Mortals" book.. I used that to train for the Princess 1/2 and will use it again for next years training !

Alice I think the C25K program is great! I have not run since high school and just to let you know that was a very long time ago! I finished the C25K program 2 weeks ago and I am now working my way to run farther distances. I'm up to 3.5 running with no walking breaks. I am seriously considering the Princess 1/2 in 2010 because I need something to motivate me to continue improving. I am stuck at the 3.5 mile runs and haven't pushed myself beyond that distance. I have the Marathoning for Mortals but haven't read it in a long time...I think I need to dust it off and read it again!

This would be my first marathon. I am planning to do a couple of 5k and maybe theh 5k at DL during the Half Marathon weekend over Labor Day.
Is there a time limit or a per mile minimum for the Princess 1/2?

"Disney's Princess Half Marathon
All athletes entering the Half Marathon must maintain a 16-minute per mile pace or faster throughout the entire race."

I know that this year they DID let people run a slower pace.....perhaps because it was the first?

I just received the mail-in form for the Princess by email.....I would think its on line, but if its not I can send it to anyone who wants it.

I just received the mail-in form for the Princess by email.....I would think its on line, but if its not I can send it to anyone who wants it.

Kirstie...I would LOVE to have it! Thanks!!

:stitch: 'Ohana Monday AND Tuesday Mixer :stitch:

Stop on by the 'Ohana team thread, where the mixer starts here!

I know this weekend is a vacation weekend for many of us, so we'll be running the mixer tomorrow (Monday) and Tuesday. This mixer question is a ringer, folks, but hopefully still fun:

What did you do for Memorial Day/Weekend?

Provide us with plenty of details & hopefully photos of your activities, gatherings, celebrations and how you observe the day (and spirit) of Memorial Day. :thumbsup2

Thats correct, it's a 16 min. mile pace - i wouldn't assume they will let you go much past that though, as to clear out the streets and open up parks - They have to shut down some major roads for the race, so they can't give you all day to finish.. LOL

I personally didn't see people get swept -- but i had about 1,000 people behind me, so i really wasn't worried about it either. We DID see the sweeper buses though - in a couple locations.
If you train now, and stay active, then seriously train for the 14 weeks or so before the race, you will be FINE!! I started training following the MfM book plan, and it's 14 weeks - (before that i was doing 2-3 days a week of say 2-3 mi.) and it worked great - my time was about 3:15 for the race - so we were under the time limit - this year i would be thrilled to do 3:00 hours - i am staying with my mom, so i am not going for a crazy fast time - as i don't want her over-doing it either.. It's honestly not about the time, but more about the fun for me..

It really is a blast -- as hard as it is, it is extremely fun at the same time! LOL

ok so i am signed up and scared lol

never done any type of race before and I am doing it alone as no one I know was interested or they have new babies and can't get away.

I am not a runner so I am really hoping I can mantain the 16 minute mile.

need to loose 60 more pounds (lotst 5o so far, almost halfway there)and thought this would help me get to goal.....and to wdw lol

ok so i am signed up and scared lol

never done any type of race before and I am doing it alone as no one I know was interested or they have new babies and can't get away.

I am not a runner so I am really hoping I can mantain the 16 minute mile.

need to loose 60 more pounds (lotst 5o so far, almost halfway there)and thought this would help me get to goal.....and to wdw lol

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! :woohoo::yay: I'm not a runner either and this is also my first race, but I've started training and I feel great!!! I hope you find it as rewarding as I have!

A lot of the people on the boards use marathoning for mortals, but there are lots of programs out there and many of websites. I've been tracking my runs on Running Ahead. They have a website Thankfully, my neighbor has trained several people for marathons and halfs so she is my resource! :)

Good luck and welcome to the group! :dance3:

i am way to excited lol. My oldest turns 5 this week and I have never had a night away so I am really looking forward to it. The last time I got this many hours to myself |I was delivering my second child :scared1:

I've been tracking my runs on Running Ahead.

Best. Training. Log. Ever.

If you haven't seen it and are a numbers geek like me, Running Ahead You have to register, but it's free.

BTW, treehugnmama...congrats on your weight loss! That's fabulous!

Looks like we're going to have an impressive WISH team contingent at the Princess again this year!!

I will be signing up for the 1/2 hopefully tomorrow, but I see that the resorts will not be posted until June (well that starts tomorrow, too) ;)

I was just wondering are there DVC resorts included that provide transportation? I would like to save money where I can.......:confused:

thanks

:stitch: 'Ohana Monday Mixer :stitch:

I know you're all ea-GEAR to share your knowledge about your favorite clothing, training aids and technical toys, so this week's prompt posted here on the 'Ohana thread is:

Beyond the basics, what's your favorite/most-useful/most loved gear?

Of course, feel free to talk about your favorite shoes, socks, tech shirts or sports bras or other necessities. But I think we'd all like to know about that special something(s) that you've added to your "must have" for training, racing days, or just plain pleasure. For some of you, maybe it's your Garmin. Other, a special brand of sunscreen or a specific brand of water belt? Still others, a strategy for taping your legs and feet or a a favorite tracking website?

Please share your special finds with the rest of us. :thumbsup2

SIGN me up :banana:

Its official, I just signed up and I have a regestration number :laughing:

I booked the WL, for two nights, atleast it is something for now. Once I get airfare I will worry about the rest!!

OMG, I am doing a 1/2!!! and my dh is super supportive and my children are excited:dance3:

Welcome Swim-Mom!!! Glad to have ya! I will update this thread this week.. i know i was neglecting it, but i will add names to it this week!

Sorry, I forgot to mention in my last post that there are NO DISCOUNTS offered for the Princess---- unless you paid online there is a code for repeat runners.

The hotel list will not be out until the 15th or later, per disney. Just an FYI :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter