• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend 2016 Thread (Jan. 14-17, 2016)

Chugging along with the official training plan for the 10K. I can and have run them without any official training, but I sure didn't feel GOOD about those. So I'm trying hard to work with the schedule. Today (not Saturday), while my son had Lesson #2 on his bike in a big empty parking lot, I ran around in big circles to hit 2.5 miles. Not very scenic, but it got the job done!

Survived 7 miles on the treadmill. It wasn't fun but I thought of the medals and pushed through. I walked a half mile in the middle somewhere though. It was a little warm in the house (heater was on) and I needed to cool down a bit.

Trying to shift my focus here after my wine and dine weekend and I'm super excited about the x-wing medal. I'm running the 10k only because DS told me he wants me to have more fun on vacation instead of saving my legs. Although last time I ran a half in Cali I spent the previous day by the pool catching up with my sis so it WAS fun but I suppose not to a 7 year old!

Does anyone remember the character stops on the 10k course last year? I really need to start planning my race and could use some motivation too!

My training is on hold now as I sprained my ankle on Friday. At least it was 2 months out instead of a month like last year.

Trying to shift my focus here after my wine and dine weekend and I'm super excited about the x-wing medal. I'm running the 10k only because DS told me he wants me to have more fun on vacation instead of saving my legs. Although last time I ran a half in Cali I spent the previous day by the pool catching up with my sis so it WAS fun but I suppose not to a 7 year old!

Does anyone remember the character stops on the 10k course last year? I really need to start planning my race and could use some motivation too!

I have a full report in my trip report in my signature but I remember there being Chewbacca, Darth Vader, Stormtroopers, Star Wars Rebel Characters, Boba Fett, Random Jedis

Definitely think the 10k is the coolest medal :) I didn't stop for characters during either race last year so my memories of the character stops are blurry. I can't remember which ones were actually the half and which were the 10k. Sorry!

My training is on hold now as I sprained my ankle on Friday. At least it was 2 months out instead of a month like last year.

OH NO!!! I hope its not too serious! Take good care of it and rest up! Like you said, at least we're 2 months out!

getting excited -- just started making a couple of dining reservations!!

Thanks for the reminder! I need to figure out if we're gonna do any ressies this trip!

Oh! thanks for mentioning ressies. Does anyone have a favorite character meal? We've done Goofy's once a few years ago but that's it. DS would probably like to go to one this time.

We love Breakfast with Minnie and Friends at the Plaza Inn. Even my sons (9 and 11) love it. I have not done any of the others. I do always get first/earliest seating and have always seen tons of characters.

In September my BFFs and I did the PCH Grille breakfast in Paradise Pier Hotel. It was a lot of fun! Great character interaction. :) We had Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Stitch and Daisy (dressed in swimming/lifeguard gear).

I agree with dec2009mama...Minnie and Friends breakfast is my fave with PCH Grill in PPH being a very very close 2nd! My whole family loves both of them.

ETA at Minnie and Friends we've done one of the later seatings and if you are still there when they are done with the Character meal, all the characters go to the front of the restaurant and you can get a great pic of your kid with all the characters at once!

In September my BFFs and I did the PCH Grille breakfast in Paradise Pier Hotel.

Did you (or anyone else reading) happen to notice if they still have the chefs who will make REAL eggs for you? In the past they were sort of facing the entrance. For those who wanted an omelet they would make one for you, and they also would make real huevos rancheros. Did you happen to notice if they were still there?

You guys all just reminded me of the need for food while we are there, and those egg chefs are literally the only reason I would go there (DS eats like a horse, but he's still only 11 and it makes me crazy to pay the adult rate times 3).

We just changed hotels to Desert Palms, and they have a decent breakfast that's included, so we could just bypass PCH Grill post-run to get to that, but I do love my $60 huevos rancheros LOL. (I know S55 has them. They aren't good compared to what PCH Grill has made for me in the past)

i don't eat eggs so fresh eggs or made to order eggs don't appeal to me at all :crazy2: so sorry but I don't pay any attention to that station.

I think we are going to do Naples for pre sunday run dinner and Wine Country Trattoria for post sunday run dinner

we just changed hotels to Desert Palms, and they have a decent breakfast that's included
How serendipitous for you to post this as I was looking for places for us to stay. Had been holding out to stay at Stovalls Inn but was waiting for a large charge to clear my account before was to book through GET Travel and it had just sold out. Desert Palms had one room left at a decent price, rooms looks nice, has a hot tub and free breakfast. I'll only catch heck because the in-laws are all staying at the Marriott by the convention center and I really don't like that hotel.

Well, DP isn't that far from the convention center area at all! They can "drop you off" as you all walk back to hotels together down Harbor. :)

Breakfast includes make-your-own malted waffles. The line will be long. The line will also be worth it. Wait in the line. (if such a thing appeals to you)

Well, DP isn't that far from the convention center area at all! They can "drop you off" as you all walk back to hotels together down Harbor.
My thoughts exactly and it went over better than expected all in all. I was debating a VRBO since there are some really nice ones close by, but being a challenge weekend for me and races for DW and DS I truly wanted my own space.

Got a massage and pedicure today so my recovery from Avengers weekend and the Infinity Gauntlet Challenge is complete...time to get back to work for the Rebel Challenge!! Only 8 weeks!!

As to the breakfast question, we usually do Goofy's because it serves breakfast the latest. Until this past weekend we've always had an amazing experience so hopefully that was a fluke.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter