1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Official SHADES OF GREEN Information

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by JanetRose, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angelmav

angelmav DIS Veteran

SOG has gone through many periods since they aquired the resort from disney of low attendance. Quite frankly, if enough people dont use it, it will go away, so I dont begrudge anyone whom serves our countries armed forces in any way the opportunity to use the resort. Your patronage means there will still be a DOD resort the next time we can use it!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. GatorGirl

GatorGirl Mouseketeer

I think LadyZolt summed it up pretty well! :goodvibes

We stayed at SOG for the first time last week and I have to say I loved it. I didn't miss any of the disney magic that some people comment isn't there nor did I miss the throngs of people you see at any of the more pricey resorts either! It was quiet, peaceful and everyone from the kids to adults to the staff was very friendly.

4. Family Fun Mom

Family Fun Mom <font color=green>No longer tagless... my wit has

I think anyone who has ever served, ever, should be able to take advantage of any discount offered to military. If you have served, you should benefit. I think all vets should be honored that way. I think it's appropriate for DOD employees to have SOG privileges, too. They serve, in their own way. They are very important.

My dh did 4 years active duty Air Force, 8 years Air Force Reserves, is currently in the Air National Guard (where he'll stay until he retires), and is a DOD civilian employee. I'd say we more than qualify for SOG :thumbsup2 You shouldn't feel a drop of guilt. Reservists are crucial members of our armed forces, they certainly deserve a nice room at a good price on Disney property :goodvibes

5. bigAWL

bigAWL DIS Veteran

I have to say I wondered about this too. In fact I'm a non-DOD federal employee, but I'm stationed overseas which is how I apparently qualify. I too have felt a little guilty, but at the same time I REALLY, REALLY wanted to stay at SOG. When I was a very little boy, my family stayed at the same resort when it was the original Disney Golf Resort. I have no memory of what it looked like back then, and I don't expect to recognize anything. But I just wanted to go back there since it was my very first WDW experience. And now it will be the first for my three daughters, as well.

Edit: Oh, and I'm not sure exactly how it works, but if the SOG is full, don't other eligible people get special overflow rates at the other Disney resorts?

6. tinkerkel2u

tinkerkel2u Mouseketeer

Like the military, DoD employees do their own part in supporting this country. :thumbsup2

7. suevee

suevee <font color=red>I am in a frenzy!<br><font color=r

What she said!!!:grouphug:

8. kurtech

kurtech Earning My Ears

We've been there many times, have also stayed at the Contemporary during remodeling and much prefer SOG.

9. Maine-iac

Maine-iac DIS Veteran

We also stayed at the Contemporary during the remodel and decided that we would never pay to stay there. Just didn't like it overall.

10. PrincessPoohsMom

PrincessPoohsMom She's in charge, I'm just for show

I have a slightly odd question, but if anyone who's been at SoG recently can answer it for me I'd be grateful! Does the AAFES or the grab & go by the bus stop carry fresh fruit? We'll be doing breakfast in the room a few times on our upcoming April trip and DD won't be a happy camper w/out her banana in the morning (gotta love the toddler years)! I'm sure we could probably snag a couple from Captain Cook's on the way back from MK the first day, but it would be more convenient to get them at SoG. My mother has stayed a couple of times post-renovations but she's simply never had the need to go looking for anything like that. Oh, and as long as I'm asking odd, specific questions, anybody have any luck scoring coffee creamer? (Even a little thing of half & half?) We're planning on pack filters, ground coffee, and disposable to go cups from home to avoid Nescafe, but obviously creamer will have to be located on-site. I know there's Starbucks at SoG :cheer2: but Mom unfortunately isn't so keen on it. :headache:

TIA!!!

11. ntsammy5

ntsammy5 DIS Veteran

I know the little coffee stand outside the AAFES has fresh fruit in the morning.

12. GatorGirl

GatorGirl Mouseketeer

Yes -- we were there last week and I believe I saw apples, bananas, and oranges at both Starbucks and the Grab and Go place on the way to the bus stop. They may have a small thing of creamer in AFFES -- they had milk in all varieties from skim to whole so they might possibly have even have the 1/2 & 1/2 too but I didn't notice that when I was buying my skim milk. Call the store, they should be able to tell you over the phone!

13. BabyFu18

BabyFu18 DIS Veteran

I'm not sure about the creamer but I seem to remember there being powder creamer (in packets) in the room along with the coffee supplies. If not, that might be something easy to pack along with your own coffee supplies.

14. kimmar067

kimmar067 TAGS?? It's all about the 'likes' now!

...I just want to say GOD BLESS all those families whose members serve, or have served, for our country. Whether they are on 'enemy lines' or here, on our homeland, they deserve to be treated with respect and honor. Keep up the good work, fighting for our right [and others] to freedom!

[​IMG]
    [...I'll get off my soap box now...]

15. Lowillian

Lowillian Mouseketeer

Thank you all for your replies! Dorothy, that was really nice! I am the only civilian in my department and I sometimes feel like I'm in the Navy! Also, since everyone turns over every 2 years, I am the constant in the department and help the continuity. I still don't go to war though, but many of my co-workers do, especially now with all the IAs.

Thanks so much!

16. Mrsjvb

Mrsjvb DIS Veteran

funny, DH is feeling the exact opposite..he's surrounded by contractors! heheheh

I had a bagel with cream cheese and a banana every morning from the cafe downstairs at the bus stop. there was also oranges and apples to choose from.

17. Lowillian

Lowillian Mouseketeer

Mrsjvb, we live in Pasadena also. You DH and my DH probably work at the same place. I work at the Naval Academy.

18. Mrsjvb

Mrsjvb DIS Veteran

small universe. I was born at the Academy a lOOOOONG time ago.

we just bought a house here three weeks ago, so are still settling in. his commute is about 30 minutes or so..when he doesn't have to be at the other office in Suitland.

19. 4nana

4nana God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of th

Janet Rose, thank you and all the others who have contributed to this thread and also your nice pictures!
    Our family incl. DH, myself, our children, and grands are meeting at WDW Thanksgiving week. :goodvibes

We have 6 first floor rooms reserved at SoG nr Mickey pool and look forward to our stay with much excitement and anticipation. Our families being mostly 5 members, it was either 2 value rooms or a suite per family or 1 moderate room at POR Riverside, which was still very small. With SoG rooms being much larger allowing 5 people, 2 queen beds, a hide-a-bed couch, having first floor rooms available w/patio and a place for the grands to play, a fridge and best of all ~ no tax ~ it was an answer to our prayers. We consider it an honor and fortunate we qualified to stay at this nice resort at such a great bargain for military/DoD families. We can't wait and are going to do our best to make it a wonderful trip of a lifetime!! :goodvibes

20. love2driveinct

love2driveinct Mouseketeer

Anyone bought the Stars & Stripes Tickets? I understand they are pretty much like "ultimate" tickets -- park hopper w/water fun & more option -- with the only "catch" being that they expire 1 day after the number of days the ticket is for (not a problem for us, we'll be long gone).

They are a good deal, and an adult would save $16 on a 4-day pass ($285 vs $301, I think). But is it really worth it? We have only 4 full days to spend -- I just don't know if we'd use the water parks, etc, and whether we'd be better off with just plain park hopper tickets ($252).

Just wondering what other SoG guests have done... Thanks.

21. Mrsjvb

Mrsjvb DIS Veteran

price wise they are a good deal, but we don't do the water parks at all, and neither of us had any desire to Do Disney Quest or Paradise Pier, so it would have been wasted on us.

since you are only there 4 days.. don't bother.. that's barely enough time to enjoy each park, forget the other stuff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.