Official SHADES OF GREEN Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOG has gone through many periods since they aquired the resort from disney of low attendance. Quite frankly, if enough people dont use it, it will go away, so I dont begrudge anyone whom serves our countries armed forces in any way the opportunity to use the resort. Your patronage means there will still be a DOD resort the next time we can use it!

I think LadyZolt summed it up pretty well! :goodvibes

We stayed at SOG for the first time last week and I have to say I loved it. I didn't miss any of the disney magic that some people comment isn't there nor did I miss the throngs of people you see at any of the more pricey resorts either! It was quiet, peaceful and everyone from the kids to adults to the staff was very friendly.

Interesting... we are not active duty, either (Marine Reserves), but sometimes I feel a little guilty, too. I'll be interested to see what people say.

I think anyone who has ever served, ever, should be able to take advantage of any discount offered to military. If you have served, you should benefit. I think all vets should be honored that way. I think it's appropriate for DOD employees to have SOG privileges, too. They serve, in their own way. They are very important.

My dh did 4 years active duty Air Force, 8 years Air Force Reserves, is currently in the Air National Guard (where he'll stay until he retires), and is a DOD civilian employee. I'd say we more than qualify for SOG :thumbsup2 You shouldn't feel a drop of guilt. Reservists are crucial members of our armed forces, they certainly deserve a nice room at a good price on Disney property :goodvibes

My DH and I are both DoD civilians and have stayed at SoG 3 times (before the expansion). We talk about whether we really deserve to be able to stay there - we are civilians. We feel we are taking away from the people who are fighting for our country and for our freedom. Those families deserve to stay there. How do the active duty families feel about this?

I have to say I wondered about this too. In fact I'm a non-DOD federal employee, but I'm stationed overseas which is how I apparently qualify. I too have felt a little guilty, but at the same time I REALLY, REALLY wanted to stay at SOG. When I was a very little boy, my family stayed at the same resort when it was the original Disney Golf Resort. I have no memory of what it looked like back then, and I don't expect to recognize anything. But I just wanted to go back there since it was my very first WDW experience. And now it will be the first for my three daughters, as well.

Edit: Oh, and I'm not sure exactly how it works, but if the SOG is full, don't other eligible people get special overflow rates at the other Disney resorts?

Actually, many DoD civilians end up having careers that are longer than active military careers! In the Navy, at least when I was in, we called our civilians "sand crabs" (LOL!), but we respected them because they were there all the time while most military folks transfer out every three years (some sooner, some later, but as an average). The DoD civilians are the ones who really provide continuity and in many cases, specific expertise. I doubt the DoD would function without them!

We're retired now and we stay at SOG, but we stayed there while on active duty, too, and I don't have any problem with anyone staying there who is authorized to stay there. I feel that everyone who qualifies has served in some way, military or civilian. My aunt just retired as a DoD civilian -- she's in her mid-60's now and always had some health issues that would have precluded her being active duty, but they certainly didn't affect her ability to use her brilliant mind for the benefit of the Department of Defense. Since the upgrades, SOG is much larger and you can reserve a room a year out, so I don't think anyone who qualifies is taking a spot away from anyone else who might also qualify. I'm sure they're not 100% full all the time, either, so I wouldn't worry about taking up a spot that might go to another qualified person. I say use it and enjoy! Civilians, reservists (my son is currently in the Navy reserves), retired, active duty, etc., -- all have served and all are able to enjoy SOG. I say go for it. :)

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

What she said!!!:grouphug:

We've been there many times, have also stayed at the Contemporary during remodeling and much prefer SOG.

We've been there many times, have also stayed at the Contemporary during remodeling and much prefer SOG.

We also stayed at the Contemporary during the remodel and decided that we would never pay to stay there. Just didn't like it overall.

I have a slightly odd question, but if anyone who's been at SoG recently can answer it for me I'd be grateful! Does the AAFES or the grab & go by the bus stop carry fresh fruit? We'll be doing breakfast in the room a few times on our upcoming April trip and DD won't be a happy camper w/out her banana in the morning (gotta love the toddler years)! I'm sure we could probably snag a couple from Captain Cook's on the way back from MK the first day, but it would be more convenient to get them at SoG. My mother has stayed a couple of times post-renovations but she's simply never had the need to go looking for anything like that. Oh, and as long as I'm asking odd, specific questions, anybody have any luck scoring coffee creamer? (Even a little thing of half & half?) We're planning on pack filters, ground coffee, and disposable to go cups from home to avoid Nescafe, but obviously creamer will have to be located on-site. I know there's Starbucks at SoG :cheer2: but Mom unfortunately isn't so keen on it. :headache:

TIA!!!

I know the little coffee stand outside the AAFES has fresh fruit in the morning.

Yes -- we were there last week and I believe I saw apples, bananas, and oranges at both Starbucks and the Grab and Go place on the way to the bus stop. They may have a small thing of creamer in AFFES -- they had milk in all varieties from skim to whole so they might possibly have even have the 1/2 & 1/2 too but I didn't notice that when I was buying my skim milk. Call the store, they should be able to tell you over the phone!

I'm not sure about the creamer but I seem to remember there being powder creamer (in packets) in the room along with the coffee supplies. If not, that might be something easy to pack along with your own coffee supplies.

...I just want to say GOD BLESS all those families whose members serve, or have served, for our country. Whether they are on 'enemy lines' or here, on our homeland, they deserve to be treated with respect and honor. Keep up the good work, fighting for our right [and others] to freedom!

soapbox.gif

[...I'll get off my soap box now...]

Thank you all for your replies! Dorothy, that was really nice! I am the only civilian in my department and I sometimes feel like I'm in the Navy! Also, since everyone turns over every 2 years, I am the constant in the department and help the continuity. I still don't go to war though, but many of my co-workers do, especially now with all the IAs.

Thanks so much!

funny, DH is feeling the exact opposite..he's surrounded by contractors! heheheh

I had a bagel with cream cheese and a banana every morning from the cafe downstairs at the bus stop. there was also oranges and apples to choose from.

Mrsjvb, we live in Pasadena also. You DH and my DH probably work at the same place. I work at the Naval Academy.

small universe. I was born at the Academy a lOOOOONG time ago.

we just bought a house here three weeks ago, so are still settling in. his commute is about 30 minutes or so..when he doesn't have to be at the other office in Suitland.

Janet Rose, thank you and all the others who have contributed to this thread and also your nice pictures!
Our family incl. DH, myself, our children, and grands are meeting at WDW Thanksgiving week. :goodvibes

We have 6 first floor rooms reserved at SoG nr Mickey pool and look forward to our stay with much excitement and anticipation. Our families being mostly 5 members, it was either 2 value rooms or a suite per family or 1 moderate room at POR Riverside, which was still very small. With SoG rooms being much larger allowing 5 people, 2 queen beds, a hide-a-bed couch, having first floor rooms available w/patio and a place for the grands to play, a fridge and best of all ~ no tax ~ it was an answer to our prayers. We consider it an honor and fortunate we qualified to stay at this nice resort at such a great bargain for military/DoD families. We can't wait and are going to do our best to make it a wonderful trip of a lifetime!! :goodvibes

Anyone bought the Stars & Stripes Tickets? I understand they are pretty much like "ultimate" tickets -- park hopper w/water fun & more option -- with the only "catch" being that they expire 1 day after the number of days the ticket is for (not a problem for us, we'll be long gone).

They are a good deal, and an adult would save $16 on a 4-day pass ($285 vs $301, I think). But is it really worth it? We have only 4 full days to spend -- I just don't know if we'd use the water parks, etc, and whether we'd be better off with just plain park hopper tickets ($252).

Just wondering what other SoG guests have done... Thanks.

price wise they are a good deal, but we don't do the water parks at all, and neither of us had any desire to Do Disney Quest or Paradise Pier, so it would have been wasted on us.

since you are only there 4 days.. don't bother.. that's barely enough time to enjoy each park, forget the other stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter