• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Miami Port Information Thread-5/1 update

When my plan was to fly into FLL, I was planning on taking SAS Transportation from our hotel/airport to the port. They seemed to have the best rates.

But, my plans have changed in that we are now flying into Miami as the airfare was cheaper thru American than thru Southwest to FLL. We'll just use DME for transport to/fro the airport.

Disney hasn't announced any concrete plans to have DME at FLL. Last I heard, they are making a "list" of people to gauge interest.

I was thinking of flying American myself, but lately I'm a little scared to fly them. Not so much the fact that their seats keep coming apart :rotfl2: but the fact that they might not be flying anymore by next May. What would happen if I got tickets on American and they went out of business before I left? I hate that fact that SW pulled Airtran out of Miami.

I was thinking of flying American myself, but lately I'm a little scared to fly them. Not so much the fact that their seats keep coming apart :rotfl2: but the fact that they might not be flying anymore by next May. What would happen if I got tickets on American and they went out of business before I left? I hate that fact that SW pulled Airtran out of Miami.

I don't understand Southwest. For the week we are going, they cut back on the number of flights AND raised the prices. I'm not surprised about the prices, as that is one of the main spring break weeks in the country. I was able to get great airfare on American that was way cheaper than Southwest even WITH the baggage fees each way.

There is a couple of places to stay in Miami when you going in a cruise. You can stay by the airport, where most hotels will have an airport shuttle to the hotel, or you can stay in downtown that is the area close to the port. From the airport to downtown, you can get a cab for about $30 with tip or get the Metrorail in the airport to downtown for $2 per person, if you are in a budget and you don’t have a lot of luggage that is a good option.
In the airport area, I stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites Miami Airport South Blue Lagoon (http://www.hamptoninnmiamiairport.com/). They have a cruise package with two one-way transportations to the port. A cab will be about $30 with tip.
If you stay in downtown, the Hampton Inn & Suites Miami Brickell Downtown (http://www.hamptoninnmiamibrickell.com/) is the place to stay. It is located a block from the Metrorail station, in case you choose that option, and also a block from Mary Brickell Village the best place in downtown to eat and have fun. A cab from this hotel to the port will be about $15.
Both hotels have breakfast included and free Wi-Fi.
Hope it can help you a little.

I was thinking of flying American myself, but lately I'm a little scared to fly them. Not so much the fact that their seats keep coming apart :rotfl2: but the fact that they might not be flying anymore by next May. What would happen if I got tickets on American and they went out of business before I left?
There is very little (almost zero) chance of that happening. The most likely scenarios are that they continue as an independent carrier and nothing changes, or they merge with USAirways or another carrier, but still continue to operate (either under the American name or a different name). In either case, you'll be fine. If the fares are good on AA, book them.

You need to try Versailles. It is not far from the Port. Best cuban food and sandwhich in all of Miami.

We just booked this cruise! Struggling with airports, hotels and transportation. Do you think we can make a 10AM flight out of Miami on April 4th? Thanks!

We just booked this cruise! Struggling with airports, hotels and transportation. Do you think we can make a 10AM flight out of Miami on April 4th? Thanks!
I think 10 am would be VERY tight. If there are any delays with customs clearing the ship you wouldn't get there. Even if you carried your bags off yourself I'd think it would be cutting it too close.

Disney's recommendation is to not have a flight leaving any earlier than 12pm.

There are too many variables involved (customs, transportation, etc) IMO to have that early of a flight.

We just got off this morning. We drove in from the Orlando area and spent the night before at La Quinta on Le Jeune near the airport. The rate was around $115.00, it included a free continental breakfast, free parking up to 7-nights, and one-way transportation to the port. We used their return passage of $10.00/person. The deal and transfers were a great value, the hotel was a bit low budget. Getting on board was easy, exiting not as smooth as Port Canaveral. We exited the ship by designated luggage tag. (I think they were assigned by dining time.) We collected our luggage off a moving platform like at an airport. We called the shuttle when we made it outside and were picked up about 20 minutes later.

@captjackandcrew: can you tell us more about getting off the ship. What time did they allow passengers to start to leave, How long did it take you to get off? What time was breakfast,etc. Thank you in advance. We leave on the 19th, and are worried about catching a 12noon flight out of fll!

@captjackandcrew: can you tell us more about getting off the ship. What time did they allow passengers to start to leave, How long did it take you to get off? What time was breakfast,etc. Thank you in advance. We leave on the 19th, and are worried about catching a 12noon flight out of fll!

We got off in Miami. We had early dining, and our breakfast time was 7:15am at Tritons (the breakfast restaurant will be whatever restaurant you dined at the night before). You will have your same serving team, they were fabulous as always. Our luggage tags were called at 8:05am. I think that would be cutting it very close, as Miami is a large airport, if anything goes wrong, you could miss your flight. We were not subject to any additional screenings.

DisneyMomJen said:

I think that would be cutting it REALLY close. I would recommend noon at the earliest.

Why didn't I find this thread earlier?
What is the easiest way of getting to the Hampton Inn Miami Brickell. We will be staying there before our cruise.

If you're referring to going from the airport to the hotel, you might want to see if they have a shuttle. We are staying at the Hampton Miami-Doral/Dolphin Mall and they have a shuttle to/fro the airport that we will be using to take back to the airport so we can catch the DME on Saturday morning. Unfortunately, their shuttle only runs until 1030p and we arrive in Miami at 1225a on the 15th, so we'll have to take a cab from the airport to the hotel.

What is the easiest way of getting to the Hampton Inn Miami Brickell. We will be staying there before our cruise.

I was trying to locate my disembarkation paperwork, but I couldn't find it. I would contact Disney directly to ask them about the 7:00 a.m. EXPRESS exit(?). I believe that you can get off the ship once the ship has passed through customs beginning at approximately 7:00. You will be responsible for your own luggage instead of putting it out the door the night before. This will allow you to exit before anyone else. We had breakfast at Beach Blanket Buffet around 7:15, then got in our tag line around 7:40, we waited about 15-20 minutes and then were able to get our luggage off of the airport like conveyor system, went through customs and were curbside waiting for our shuttle by around 8:25. I would definitely do the EXPRESS exit versus the tag exit. I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can answer any more questions

Go to Trip Advisor for Miami hotels.Hampton Inn Brickell is rated #1.If you read the reviews you will see alot of cruisers have stayed there.I think most take cab from airport.

We are leaving from Miami and I am looking to stay at a hotel near Miami or Ft. Lauderdale that has 2 bedrooms. I've only have seen that the Hyatt house has 2bedrooms and they have a location in both places. Has anyone ever stayed there before or have another idea?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter