Official Miami Port Information Thread-5/1 update

Has anyone sailed out of the Port of Miami? If so, can you give me any tips? I've only gone out of Port Canaveral. Is there a specific area (I imagine Disney doesn't have their own terminal) and what time can you get in to the port?
Thanks!!

We arrived at 11:15ish, parked right at the port in garage G. It was $20 a day. There are cheaper garages about a mile away, but my husband just wanted to be as close as possible.
We were a quick walk away from the terminal.
The terminal is much smaller than PC. We were in boarding group #3 and were getting our lunch at noon up in BBB.

It was easy, just crowded.
Once onboard no crowd issues.

We arrived at 11:15ish, parked right at the port in garage G. It was $20 a day. There are cheaper garages about a mile away, but my husband just wanted to be as close as possible.
We were a quick walk away from the terminal.
The terminal is much smaller than PC. We were in boarding group #3 and were getting our lunch at noon up in BBB.

It was easy, just crowded.
Once onboard no crowd issues.

We're renting a car and my husband is planning to return it after he drops us off. Do you know what time the terminal actually opens for Disney guests? I want to attempt an upgrade so I need to be there when they open. Thanks!

I have read on here 11am, but I am not 100% sure.

What I can tell you I saw yesterday was that there were cars driving into the garage we were parked in at 7:30am. They all appeared to be workers but I could be wrong.

You won't be able to get into the terminal that early, but there are areas outside you can sit at and wait.
The garage we were at was right next to the border patrol area. I would feel safe sitting there. I saw officers present both in the early morning and late morning.

Hope that helps.

We're renting a car and my husband is planning to return it after he drops us off. Do you know what time the terminal actually opens for Disney guests? I want to attempt an upgrade so I need to be there when they open. Thanks!

The rental cars all use a new rental terminal. We have found it easy to return the car, and all of us jump on the free shuttle to the port.

The rental cars all use a new rental terminal. We have found it easy to return the car, and all of us jump on the free shuttle to the port.

We are going to return the rental car the night before and get a taxi to the terminal. Now does anyone know the official time the terminal opens?
I know Port Canaveral is 10:30. Is it the same in Miami?

From what I heard, they may very well turn you away if you are not within your Port Arrival Time. So don't go earlier just cause...

Mine is 11..... but I've never head a problem standing outside and waiting in Cape. That's why I was wondering what time we can arrive and wait. I don't want to miss a possible upgrade chance because I showed up at 11 and the port opened at 10:30..

Does it work going the other way too? (i.e. shuttle to the rental terminal to pick up a car after the cruise) What car companies are at this terminal? Is there somewhere I can find more information?

Yes, I'd like to know about renting a car "after" our cruise too. We plan on driving to Disney World in Orlando after our 4/night cruise on the WONDER. Are the car rentals in the Miami Airport or do we go somewhere else in the area to rent a car?? Also- I was assigned an early boarding time too - 11am. I read that the Terminal will open at 11am . I don't think that DCL would assign times before you could actually get into the Terminal. It will be our first time at the Port of Miami also so I'd appreciate any advice or tips that anyone has who has taken a recent Disney Cruise from there. Thanks!

Based on the way they run it at PC and the fact that the earliest Port Arrival Time for Miami is 11:00, I think it is safe to assume that the terminal will open at 11:00. I am interested in other cruisers experiences when arriving earlier, like at 10:30. We are also planning to attempt an upgrade at the port so any info is greatly appreciated.

I don't think there are any car rental places AT the port. The city of Miami is across a bridge, about a mile. I think there are a few rental places in downtown. Otherwise you must go to the airport which is a $25 taxi ride or you could see if a rental place has a shuttle.

The Port of Miami is more like dropping people off at an airport. The terminal itself may not be open, but you could wait outside. It is not nice like at PC. In front there are buses and taxis and cars. The luggage guys weren't jumping to take the luggage and I practically had to beg someone to do it.

If your husband drops you off and you want to go inside to start checking in, make sure he has a copy of your itinerary as they do check it and ID at the door. I don't think they check it closely, but she did ask to see it. I think we were ahead of our PAT but they let us in right away (probably 11:15?).

Nancy

From what my husband said (he called car places), you have to take a taxi to a car rental company. The hotels/rental companies can not go in to the port. So, you take a taxi over to the terminal and back from the terminal. That is my understanding.

The exception is coming from the Miami airport, I believe. The rental companies can shuttle you to the port from the airport.

Can I ask if a party of 6 (4 adults ad 2 toddlers) can find a taxi VAN (one vehicle that would fit all of us) from the Miami airport to the Port?

Also we're have a full day to explore Miami (well 8 am to 4 pm) on our final day. I guess the only place to dump our luggage would be at the airport or would the Port have luggage storage where we can keep our bags for a few hours while we explore? We may be better off renting our own car that day for a few hours too I suppose... If so, can we rent at the Port and drop off at the airport?

thanks.

From what I've read, you will not get off the ship AT 8. That is when they expect to arrive, then they need to clear customs, etc. If you have time, I'd just enjoy your last breakfast on board, take it easy and get off as late as possible. Then drive to the airport.

I've read through the posts here and maybe I've missed the answer to this question so please forgive me.

I read that Disney has transportation from the airport to the port. Do they have a connection with any of the hotels at or near the airport where they will take your bags from the room that morning so we don't have to lug them to the bus?

Thank you in advance for any info you can share.

Just an FYI, be sure to make a ressie for a rental car SOMEWHERe! We had a ressie but questioned our decision, so my DH hopped a shuttle to one rental agency....no cars! Took a taxi to another, the rate for one day with drop off at MCO, $179, plus a two hour wait minimum! He called me, I said no way! He taxied to the agency that we had the ressie with, got the SUV for an extra two days, with MCO drop off for $212! Few!
Point: make a reservation, don't just wing it!
(we were getting off the Wonder January 19th when this happened)

beachbratt said:
Does anyone have any recommendations for off site parking we will be driving down the morning of the cruise and wondered if there were any good optional site to park other then the Port for $20/day. We have found a great one for Port Canaveral but this will be our first time out of Miami

I am thinking about www.portofmiamicruiseparking.com It says that it is $4.50/day. They are 2-3 blocks from the port. They recommend a shuttle for $5 each way. I would think DH could drop off myself, DD & the luggage, go park & then just walk over (or shuttle). I think this is a great way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Silverfox97 said:
They are 2-3 blocks from the port. They recommend a shuttle for $5 each way. I would think DH could drop off myself, DD & the luggage, go park & then just walk over (or shuttle). I think this is a great way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I am from Miami. This seems like a great deal. I'm going to look into it myself for our upcoming Disney cruise. Your husband will need to take the shuttle though. 2-3 blocks in that area is over a mile long. And there's no sidewalk on the bridge to get to the port.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter