Official Fantasyland Expansion Q & A (Mickey gets evicted)

I agree there needs to be a playground/ water play area..
In the FL heat.. Kids/parents NEED the water play areas.

in the winters they need and place to let the kids run..

Looks interesting. A couple comments:

* Someone asked about that big green space between the Coaster cottage and the teacups. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that area contained the "show building" for the coaster. If you look at the existing pictures we have of the construction and the path plans, they wouldn't have a lot of room for a show building going towards the back of the park from the cottage location, so the coaster show building would likely be done up as a forested mountain between Belle's Village/Little Mermaid, and Pooh.

*Now depending upon space/themeing, i could see them maybe doing a small little play area on the "hillside"... but honestly with the proximity to Pooh's interactive queue and all that space up by the circus, I'm going to guess it'd be more likely to have something by the circus.

* I'm kind of saddened by the close of SWSA, but at the same time, I have to admit that the placement of the Princess meet "within the castle walls" actually does make quite a bit of sense.

* The original talk was the Railroad would close at some point because of the obvious need to redo the station and the construction mess. Personally, i've always wondered if they might just close the one station and do the 1 train in shuttle mode again like they did back when Splash was being built.

*ultimately.... I gotta say that I think this "re-do" isn't that bad. The biggest complaint I had about the previous version was it was EXTREMELY M&G heavy. It didn't matter to me if it was mostly princesses, it was just that they were doing all that building, using all that space, and all we really seemed to gain out of it was 1 new ride, a much needed TS restaurant, an extra Dumbo....And some meet and greets. Girl or Boy, you have to admit that there comes a time when standing in line to meet a character starts to get old or "been there done that, and not worth the line this time."

* The new plans are different, but still give us many of the core items of the first while adding a new attraction to the mix. I feel like it even makes better use of the space... and is also potentially more flexible. Instead of having a seperate M&G for each of the princesses/fairies like in the original, You still get the interactive experience for Belle (which themes and fits nicely into the castle/village area), and you gain the nice Hall space for the other princesses. While making it easier to possible rotate the princesses in the Hall (new movie/princess? squeeze her into the castle's hall! easier to explain than why she is in Aurora's cottage...), It also would possibly allow for the multiple princesses at once situation some parents crave.

And my biggest :thumbsup2 ?? It just seems a more thematically cohesive plan than the original. We've already seen the pictures on how they tied the Teacups into Pooh via the amazing brickwork in the new queue. The Castle walls are supposed to go up on the other side of Pooh and route over to approximately where the bathrooms are. you then have the Dwarf's cottage and mine train across from Pooh in a very heavily forested/themed area (based off artwork.). Odds are, that theming and the show building will do a decent job cutting off the line of sight from Pooh to Belle's village and the Little Mermaid. Now go around the other way, and you have Belle's cottage and a village. It's obvious from the construction pictures and the artwork that Beast's castle is likely going to rely heavily on forced perspective to get it to fit... which will make it possible to have Belle's Village not be in Cinderella's backyard. I also noticed the artwork included a structure on what appeared to be cliff... which could be a great visual segway to the coast and The Little Mermaid's ride. And of course... you have the circus on the far side of the forest in the clearing.

It just makes it a lot easily to cohesively tie everything together, rather than have every princess live in Cinderella's backyard.

Anyone know if the Little Mermaid show at DHS will close or re-purpose once the ride-though attraction opens at the MK?

And according to the 1/18 press release, the new FL will have a "Gaston's Tavern". Sounds like it would have been a good idea if they had decided go serve pewter or ceramic mugs of ale! But in a "dry" MK, I'm not sure I see the point. Sounds like the new FL will be very "chick oriented". Disney Dads sure would have appreciated getting a nice cold one at Gaston's to take the edge off!

Chick oriented? They went out of their way to de-chick it! Cindy lost her carousel to her prince.... Snow White lost her ride to the Dwarfs' coaster.......... the Beast gets a castle...... Gaston gets a tavern........ Only Ariel came out a winner.....and I think she was always a big attraction for the men in Fantasyland!

I posted this in part 2, but figured I would post here as well. I just got this email...hope its ok to copy&paste....

Largest Expansion in Magic Kingdom Park History Will Nearly Double the Size of Fantasyland

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The largest expansion in Magic Kingdom® Park history is underway, a project that will nearly double the size of Fantasyland and deliver a new home for Ariel, new ways to interact with favorite Disney princesses, an exciting new family coaster, a double dose of Dumbo and more.

Scheduled to open in phases beginning in late 2012, the new Fantasyland will immerse your Clients in Disney stories as never before. Among the highlights planned:

•Under the Sea: Journey of The Little Mermaid, a major, all-new attraction during which guests will travel with Ariel and her friends through their exciting adventures above and below the waves – all against a musical backdrop of songs from the classic film.
•The castle of the Beast, standing majestically upon a hill just across an old stone bridge from Ariel’s new home. The Be Our Guest Restaurant will feature a lavish dining experience in the elegant ballroom, gallery, and mysterious “West Wing” of the castle. With seating for 550, this magnificent facility will offer “great food fast” service by day and full table service dining in the evening. Nearby in Belle's Village, guests will find the rousing Gaston's Tavern and Bonjour! Village Gifts.
•Just outside the village is Belle’s cottage and Enchanted Tales with Belle. The adventure begins in Maurice’s workshop, where a magical mirror is the doorway to a captivating new kind of storytelling experience: Guests are transported to the Beast’s library to meet Belle and Lumiere, and share in a lively, interactive, re-telling of the "tale as old as time.”
But that’s just the beginning of what your Clients will discover when the multi-phase project is completed. Here’s more of what’s in store:

•The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will take guests on a rollicking, musical ride into the mine “where a million diamonds shine.” The coaster will feature a first-of-its kind ride system with a train of ride vehicles that swing back and forth, responding to every twist and turn of the track. The journey will be accompanied by music from the classic Disney film and animated figures of Snow White and the Dwarfs.
•In Princess Fairytale Hall, Aurora, Cinderella and other Disney princesses, such as Tiana and Rapunzel, will greet guests in their new home, an elegant royal court on the site where Snow White’s Scary Adventures stands today.
• The sound of the calliope will lead guests to the brand new Storybook Circus and not one but two circling carousels of airborne pachyderms on Dumbo the Flying Elephant! Before taking to the skies on this Fantasyland favorite, guests can experience an array of fun-filled family games and interactive wonders for kids of all ages inside the Big Top.
•Next door in Storybook Circus, the classic Barnstormer gets a bright new look as well, featuring Goofy as The Great Goofini. It’s a twisting, turning roller coaster “flight” high above the circus fun.

Looks interesting. A couple comments:

* Someone asked about that big green space between the Coaster cottage and the teacups. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that area contained the "show building" for the coaster. If you look at the existing pictures we have of the construction and the path plans, they wouldn't have a lot of room for a show building going towards the back of the park from the cottage location, so the coaster show building would likely be done up as a forested mountain between Belle's Village/Little Mermaid, and Pooh.

*Now depending upon space/themeing, i could see them maybe doing a small little play area on the "hillside"... but honestly with the proximity to Pooh's interactive queue and all that space up by the circus, I'm going to guess it'd be more likely to have something by the circus.

* I'm kind of saddened by the close of SWSA, but at the same time, I have to admit that the placement of the Princess meet "within the castle walls" actually does make quite a bit of sense.

* The original talk was the Railroad would close at some point because of the obvious need to redo the station and the construction mess. Personally, i've always wondered if they might just close the one station and do the 1 train in shuttle mode again like they did back when Splash was being built.

*ultimately.... I gotta say that I think this "re-do" isn't that bad. The biggest complaint I had about the previous version was it was EXTREMELY M&G heavy. It didn't matter to me if it was mostly princesses, it was just that they were doing all that building, using all that space, and all we really seemed to gain out of it was 1 new ride, a much needed TS restaurant, an extra Dumbo....And some meet and greets. Girl or Boy, you have to admit that there comes a time when standing in line to meet a character starts to get old or "been there done that, and not worth the line this time."

* The new plans are different, but still give us many of the core items of the first while adding a new attraction to the mix. I feel like it even makes better use of the space... and is also potentially more flexible. Instead of having a seperate M&G for each of the princesses/fairies like in the original, You still get the interactive experience for Belle (which themes and fits nicely into the castle/village area), and you gain the nice Hall space for the other princesses. While making it easier to possible rotate the princesses in the Hall (new movie/princess? squeeze her into the castle's hall! easier to explain than why she is in Aurora's cottage...), It also would possibly allow for the multiple princesses at once situation some parents crave.

And my biggest :thumbsup2 ?? It just seems a more thematically cohesive plan than the original. We've already seen the pictures on how they tied the Teacups into Pooh via the amazing brickwork in the new queue. The Castle walls are supposed to go up on the other side of Pooh and route over to approximately where the bathrooms are. you then have the Dwarf's cottage and mine train across from Pooh in a very heavily forested/themed area (based off artwork.). Odds are, that theming and the show building will do a decent job cutting off the line of sight from Pooh to Belle's village and the Little Mermaid. Now go around the other way, and you have Belle's cottage and a village. It's obvious from the construction pictures and the artwork that Beast's castle is likely going to rely heavily on forced perspective to get it to fit... which will make it possible to have Belle's Village not be in Cinderella's backyard. I also noticed the artwork included a structure on what appeared to be cliff... which could be a great visual segway to the coast and The Little Mermaid's ride. And of course... you have the circus on the far side of the forest in the clearing.

It just makes it a lot easily to cohesively tie everything together, rather than have every princess live in Cinderella's backyard.

ITA with pretty much everything you wrote. You really can't take one piece of concept art as verbatim what it will ultimately look like. You have to figure show buildings, backstage areas for cast members, restrooms, stroller parking, placement of buildings/trees/walkways to make sure the theming blends well (cause like you said, we can't have the Beast's castle looking like it's in Cindy's backyard). I think that while we are loosing a classic ride like SWSA, we're going to have a really well themed and fun new area to enjoy.

Some how my subscription to this thread got kicked off & I've been missing all the updates:((

I read the latest press release & although it's been tweaked, it still sounds fabulous! Sooooo exciting!

Cam any one fill me in on the pixies? When will Tink & friends be heading to Epcot? Will that be a permanent home? I'm still cheering for a Pixie Hollow at Epcot or Animal Kingdom. I think Pixie Hollow would look amazing at AK year round, but the flower festival is hard to beat:)

I missed you all!

Chick oriented? They went out of their way to de-chick it! Cindy lost her carousel to her prince.... Snow White lost her ride to the Dwarfs' coaster.......... the Beast gets a castle...... Gaston gets a tavern........ Only Ariel came out a winner.....and I think she was always a big attraction for the men in Fantasyland!

The Beast castle and Gaston tavern were in the original plans, by the way.

And personally, I prefer Jasmine. And Esmerelda, but she isn't a princess.

The Beast castle and Gaston tavern were in the original plans, by the way.

And personally, I prefer Jasmine. And Esmerelda, but she isn't a princess.
Jasmine is tied for my favorite princess with Aurora. They are awesome. I prefer Alice overall, but she isn't a princess as well. You could do so much with Alice's Wonderland.

Give me an Alice in Wonderland theme park! :rotfl:

Where's Peter Pan, Small World, and Philharmagic positioned when compared to the big overview map? To the lower left? If so, are they going to be walled off from the rest of Fantasyland?

Yes, to the lower left. The wall represents the Castle Wall. The current Fantasyland is considered to live within the Castle Courtyard. The new Fantasyland is more earthy in the sense that it has been called the Fantasyland Forest. I wouldn't be surprised if the Circus area receives a different name, separating it from Fantasyland all together.

i see a HUGE open area where the Princesses could've had their meet and greet, without taking away SWSA. it looks like the coaster goes through part of it, but there still seems like space is available.

My guess - Winnie the Pooh and Tigger will have a small meet at greet there. That's where they met in the past (when it was their playground), and that's where they meet now (in front of the wall). It makes sense to keep them near their attraction.

Does anyone know what will be completed in phase one? We are planning a trip for Thanksgiving 2012. I am really excited about the 7 Dwarfs mine ride, but sad about the Scary Adventures of Snow White. It was not one of my favorite rides, but it feels like they are removing pieces of my childhood. I still have not fully gotten over the loss of Mr. Toad.

I'd guess the Belle and Ariel sections. The mine coaster and circus areas are probably targeted for 2013. Disney has not made any announcement regarding that however.

Cam any one fill me in on the pixies? When will Tink & friends be heading to Epcot? Will that be a permanent home? I'm still cheering for a Pixie Hollow at Epcot or Animal Kingdom. I think Pixie Hollow would look amazing at AK year round, but the flower festival is hard to beat:)

I missed you all!

Tink is off to the Studios for a couple months, starting Feb. 12th. Some of her fairy friends will be meeting at Epcot during F&G. Their permanent location is being worked on, they'll likely move there this summer. Disney has not made any announcements regarding the fairies since Dec, but I think it's safe to assume that pixie hollow will pop up in a different park, likely to be indoors because of the rain we experience in Florida.

Playgrounds are INVALUABLE for parents!! Yes, there is a park full of rides, but kids are stuck in the lines for said rides, then they're sitting for most of them. Playgrounds provide a place to expend some of that (neverending) energy. They can run around, climb and let loose a little. And I'm sure those without children (and most of those with) would rather have them doing that in a somewhat enclosed space than in the already crowded walkways, queues or restaurants.

As a mom who has taken 3 little ones over the years, I totally disagree. I HATE the playgrounds. I wish they didn't have them, because it is a waste of time in my book. I don't feel like I paid big bucks for a theme park to have my kids playing in a playground. WE have plenty of walking to do and that seems to tire them out plenty. In fact that is why we bring a stroller, because they get tired of walking.
I have never understood the basic playgrounds at the parks. Now if they wer more elaborate/family friendly, where the adults could have a go, then it might be ok.

Now if they wer more elaborate/family friendly, where the adults could have a go, then it might be ok.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

I can see it now..
mom:
honey, don't you dare go down that slide..

dad:
Aww leave me alone.. I may not be a spring chicken, but i still go down a slide

Mom: :rolleyes1 ( and me popcorn::)

dad : WEEEEEEE! OUCH!

:rotfl::lmao:

I'm just kidding.. i would be the 1st parent to test it out!

Sorry if I've missed this - but does anyone know WHEN Snow White will be closing?

Sorry, sandym718,

I do not see an official announcment coming from Disney yet.
But keep bumping up your post, until Disney says something and anyone else, or I find it.
- Dwight

Hello (Beautiful) mom2rtk,

Don`t forget Enchanted Tales with Belle inside of Belle's Cottage.
So Really, Ariel AND Belle came out the winner.
... and OH, while we are talking about winners,
Don`t forget the castle in the middle of the park called " Cinderella Castle ".
It's just that the Dancing with Cinderella, and Cinderella's Chateau Cottage
got cut. However, there is something else that they cut that would have been right up my alley if they did not cut it, It's the Making Birthday Cards for Princess Aurora, and then being presented to Princess Aurora at her cottage to celebrate Princess Aurora's 16th Birthday.
Why did they cut that activity? Dancing with a princess? Walt Disney World could do that if they wanted, if they would go back to the days of like the 1971s when fun with the characters and pop up shows were a part of The Walt Disney World Lifestyle.
There was NO Stagefright. Everywhere you were in the parks was Disney's Performing Stage, and they need to get back to that.
These videos that I see online of Children dancing with the Princesses? THAT IS MAGIC TO ME !!!!
Here is my question, what will happen to The Tangled Play and Greet?

- Dwight

As a mom who has taken 3 little ones over the years, I totally disagree. I HATE the playgrounds. I wish they didn't have them, because it is a waste of time in my book. I don't feel like I paid big bucks for a theme park to have my kids playing in a playground. WE have plenty of walking to do and that seems to tire them out plenty. In fact that is why we bring a stroller, because they get tired of walking.
I have never understood the basic playgrounds at the parks. Now if they wer more elaborate/family friendly, where the adults could have a go, then it might be ok.

OK, they're invaluable for some parents. As long as my kids are having a good time, I don't mind if it's at a water playground, plastic tree or a state of the art rollercoaster. We choose not to worry about money on vacation, so those thoughts never crossed my mind. I never want to be one of those "I spent $xxxxxx on this vacation, so you're gonna have (this certain kind of) fun, darnit!" I can't even tell you how many times I've heard that conversation at the World. We decided that wouldn't be us.

I'm not trying to tire out my kids but expend some of that extra energy so they're not trying to do it in a queue or anywhere else it might bother someone else. I will say I had a blast at the Playful Spot crawling in the tree, running through the water. The HISTK playground is super fun for me, too. Those are usually the only two playgrounds we spend(t) a considerable amount of time at during our trips. Now, the tiki water spot is another story. No playground whatsoever, and my little ones could spend an hour there. And that's just fine with me.

That's why I'm glad there are playspots. We all have different ages, touring styles and priorities. Those that don't want their kids to play can move along and those that do can stop. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter