OFFICIAL Disney Cake Chatter Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never used them, so you'd have to call and find out, but it seems like most bakeries deliver. :thumbsup2 I don't think I'd pay $85 for a plain 6-inch cake with a white chocolate cutout on top.

It doesn't seem that anyone at Disney can do a shaped cake. I called Sprinkle cakes and they gave me a price of $262 for the cake I wanted. I guess I will just go with another cake.

Omg, just ordered V's Pink Cinderella cake from Grand Floridian and I think that was the most stressfull thing about planning this entire trip lol. Trying to explain/get what I wanted to the very nice girl on the phone. We started at $51 then she said oh well for what you are asking we should go fondant that brought it to $66. Then when she realized it was for a 5 year old, we went down to $51, when I said i was bringing my own cinderella for the top it brought the order down to $21. Ahhhhhhh. Well, i said, I don't want the podium cake. I'm bringing the topper just because I like it better than the 2 dimensional stand up ones and I don't want screen print image. but I do want it decorated as a Cinderella cake, I'll just bring the cinderella for the top. I saw a picture of a cake you did and it had drapping or swags on the top with bows.... Back up to $51

I think this poor girl couldn't wait to get me off the phone. I was trying to be nice, but wasn't getting much to go on. When I call to confirm the cake a few days before we leave, I'll try and go over the whole order and add/clarify what we want.

I am seriously considering just calling and changing it to fondant, I feel like we may get a nicer cake that way. :confused3

It doesn't seem that anyone at Disney can do a shaped cake. I called Sprinkle cakes and they gave me a price of $262 for the cake I wanted. I guess I will just go with another cake.

Unfortunately, most bakeries charge a premium for anything beyond a round or square (some even charge more for a square)...and sculpting or really unique things have base prices starting above that. It's this mark up that got me into doing cakes as a hobby. In any event...

I don't know if you'd be able to drive off site to pick up a cake, but my mother (who lives in FL) informed me that their Publix does some more unique shaped cakes. While we don't have Publix here TX, my fave grocery store (Kroger) does some more unique things without the mark up. I think I paid under $30 for a dragon shaped cake a couple of years ago. So...If you can get offsite to pick it up, it might be worth a call to the Publix closest to WDW to see if they offer any kind of shark cakes...that are shark shaped. It would definitely be more economical and it would probably taste great too. :goodvibes

You know after giving it some thought, I think it was Pat that I talked to. She said her name and I thought she said Pat but I wasn't 100% sure. Does Pat have a young sounding voice?

She also said she would recommend the chocolate mousse over the butter cream and the 2D printed stand up images are really nice and i am second guessing myself completely wondering if I should go Mousse and 2D images.

Also she Did not take my credit card number, just said that the cake would be on my bill that day. :confused3:confused3:confused3

Ahhh don't know what to do.

Unfortunately, most bakeries charge a premium for anything beyond a round or square (some even charge more for a square)...and sculpting or really unique things have base prices starting above that. It's this mark up that got me into doing cakes as a hobby. In any event...

I don't know if you'd be able to drive off site to pick up a cake, but my mother (who lives in FL) informed me that their Publix does some more unique shaped cakes. While we don't have Publix here TX, my fave grocery store (Kroger) does some more unique things without the mark up. I think I paid under $30 for a dragon shaped cake a couple of years ago. So...If you can get offsite to pick it up, it might be worth a call to the Publix closest to WDW to see if they offer any kind of shark cakes...that are shark shaped. It would definitely be more economical and it would probably taste great too. :goodvibes
Thanks for that info! Unfortunately I called them this morning and they said they do not carve cakes. They said that they do have cakes that are 3d like Princess and Harry Potter, but no shark cake. Thought it might be helpful for some others on here to know. I'm trying to get in touch with Brian to see if he would rather do the 2d shark image on cake or if he thinks a pirate themed or haunted mansion would be better. I'm getting nervous because we leave tomorrow. The cake order process has been long!

You know after giving it some thought, I think it was Pat that I talked to. She said her name and I thought she said Pat but I wasn't 100% sure. Does Pat have a young sounding voice?

She also said she would recommend the chocolate mousse over the butter cream and the 2D printed stand up images are really nice and i am second guessing myself completely wondering if I should go Mousse and 2D images.

Also she Did not take my credit card number, just said that the cake would be on my bill that day. :confused3:confused3:confused3

I didn't go backwards to find what exactly you were looking for in a cake but if I remember correctly it was Cinderella and you were wondering about the 2D images. Here is the one I had made some years back for my daughter.

543185_3904380096031_1475104963_3315065_1343044763_n.jpg

Oh and the white chocolate mousse has always been amazing in the past however just recently I had the buttercream and it was sweet.

I have never before had the problems I did this time, I think it stems from having a themed request but wanting them to make minor changes to the theme like the marbled ganache which isn't normally on the pirate theme cake. We had never done one of these themed cakes before normally it was like pictured above the cake we like with a little added extra on top.

It was also the first time we had to give our credit card info before hand so it might have had to do with the more expensive cake.

Just ordered my cake! Whew! I went with the haunted mansion one with Disney villians on top. I'll get it Thursday at Chef Mickey's. I hope he likes it. Wish me luck:) I'll try and post pictures when I get back.

IMHO, a figurine will almost always look better than a 2D image. I just don't think most 2D images are that nice. FLChell's was nicer than normal, because of the base. You could get a 3D, white chocolate Cinderella, if you don't mind the added expense. For the price of adding fondant & buying a figurine, you may be able to get the 3D Cinderella. If it were me & it was in the budget, I'd go that route. Just a though. :)

Just ordered my cake! Whew! I went with the haunted mansion one with Disney villians on top. I'll get it Thursday at Chef Mickey's. I hope he likes it. Wish me luck:) I'll try and post pictures when I get back.

I'm glad you finally got it straightened out. I hope it's beautiful & delicious. Enjoy your trip.

SOOO EXCITED!! :yay: Ordered a "Stitch" themed surprise birthday cake today for my sons, and already can't wait to see the end results. I sent a sketch out to CakeMan Brian earlier in the week and received a reply first thing thismorning. We are going with an 8" chocolate cake with bavarian cream with fresh strawberries filling. YUM!!! He is going to put the painted white chocolate "Stitch" with grass skirt on top with some other beach/luau themed items (palm tree, surfboards). Going to be a LOOONG wait :laughing:

The HM cakes I've seen look AMAZING! I'm sure he'll LOVE it! I'm actually kind of jealous- I'd love to do a HM cake, but my kids are terrified of the ride. Definitely post pics when you get back! :goodvibes

IMHO, a figurine will almost always look better than a 2D image. I just don't think most 2D images are that nice. FLChell's was nicer than normal, because of the base. You could get a 3D, white chocolate Cinderella, if you don't mind the added expense. For the price of adding fondant & buying a figurine, you may be able to get the 3D Cinderella. If it were me & it was in the budget, I'd go that route. Just a though. :)

I'm glad you finally got it straightened out. I hope it's beautiful & delicious. Enjoy your trip.

Thanks I think I am going to call and add the fondant. I'm actually not much of a fan of the white chocolate cincerella 3D either. No idea why. lol Not sure about the filling, but for the $15 for fondant It might give me more piece of mind. Of course something could happen to that cake too. Just with the horror stories I've heard. nervous!!!

Anyone know how much pirate decorations are? Like the treasure chest, doubloons, etc...
I was thinking of getting a mini 2 tier cake (if they'd do it) or 6" with some of those pirate decorations.

Anyone know how much pirate decorations are? Like the treasure chest, doubloons, etc...
I was thinking of getting a mini 2 tier cake (if they'd do it) or 6" with some of those pirate decorations.

I got a 10 inch pirate theme from GF bakery cost me nearly 191 and change. It is pictured a page back I think. Had white choco. skull with a gummy worm coming out, a couple choco palm trees, a chest filled with lil coins all choco, a large pirate coin of white choco , a huge gum paste flower (that too me threw out of whack the rest of the theme flower and pirate don't go together in my mind), and a small treasure map of gum paste with the birthday banner as well in gum paste. Oh yes and there was small green leaves of fondant on it too.

The HM cakes I've seen look AMAZING! I'm sure he'll LOVE it! I'm actually kind of jealous- I'd love to do a HM cake, but my kids are terrified of the ride. Definitely post pics when you get back! :goodvibes

Thanks! I hope so! We will be there this Thursday. I will let you know how it goes. This replaces his party I had to cancel when my grandmother passed away so I really want him to be "wowed" by this cake. ;)

Here is what I posted a few weeks ago:
Just called and ordered a cake for my sons birthday in 3 weeks. Spoke with a very nice CM named Pat. Ordered a 6" vanilla cake with white chocolate mousse filling, vanilla buttercream frosting. It will be covered in blue fondant with white clouds (Toy Story, Andy's Room wallpaper). I also asked for Toy Story characters on top. Cost $66 plus tax/gratuity. To be delivered to Kona at Poly. She also asked me to let her know how I liked it. I was very impressed with the service and what I was able to get for the price. I will post a pic when I return.

And as promised, here is the picture of the cake. It was gorgeous!!!! Not only that, but it tasted good too!
260.jpg

261.jpg

Yep they were only going to refund half... but really my daughter just wants her cake the way she wanted it and will enjoy it.

They charged my card 4 days in advance which was another thing that upset us because when my husband gave the card number to Pat he was told Friday the 8th the charge would be applied it went thru Thursday the 7th.

Oh and here is a picture of the cake we got.. it's a beautiful cake and the decorations were almost what we wanted except the big flower my daughter HATES flowery stuff. The ganache was suppose to be marbled with white choco flakes instead of that thick dark chocolate that had my daughter totally grossed out to be honest I didn't even care for the flavor of the dark choco. ganache on it. Also the inside of the cake wasn't correct either, and it was gritty. Had the inside and the ganache been right the big flower wouldn't have been something we complained about I would of just told my daughter to suck it up.

2012-06-11_13-59-10_557.jpg

I'm sorry you weren't happy with the cake. At least, the decorations were impressive.

Here is what I posted a few weeks ago:
Just called and ordered a cake for my sons birthday in 3 weeks. Spoke with a very nice CM named Pat. Ordered a 6" vanilla cake with white chocolate mousse filling, vanilla buttercream frosting. It will be covered in blue fondant with white clouds (Toy Story, Andy's Room wallpaper). I also asked for Toy Story characters on top. Cost $66 plus tax/gratuity. To be delivered to Kona at Poly. She also asked me to let her know how I liked it. I was very impressed with the service and what I was able to get for the price. I will post a pic when I return.

And as promised, here is the picture of the cake. It was gorgeous!!!! Not only that, but it tasted good too!
260.jpg

261.jpg

That's an awesome cake for the price. What is Buzz standing on? Was it an iced cupcake or a cloud of icing?

Hi all! well Im second guessing my idea for my sister 15th birthday cake. After finally deciding to do a 6 inch mickeys delight with bright tropial looking flowers, Im kind of thinking I want to do something else. But I have no idea what. I was trying to think of any Disney sisters, but Ill I could came up with were the evil stepsisters. (I dont think my sister has even seen Cinderella lol) Any suggestions?!? Or even a different take on the mickey delight I havent thought of? Im having it delivered during lunch at GFC. I just hit my 45 day mark today (YAY!!!), so I havent ordered yet. Thanks!!!

ok so I called for a cake for WL at the number 407-824-2955. Was that the right number to call. I talked to a girl but I didnt write down her name. I never was given an email nor have I received an email. They did call the next day to ask a question about red dye. I just am wondering if I did it correctly. Also should i call back to confirm everything. It is for this Sunday.

Hi all! well Im second guessing my idea for my sister 15th birthday cake. After finally deciding to do a 6 inch mickeys delight with bright tropial looking flowers, Im kind of thinking I want to do something else. But I have no idea what. I was trying to think of any Disney sisters, but Ill I could came up with were the evil stepsisters. (I dont think my sister has even seen Cinderella lol) Any suggestions?!? Or even a different take on the mickey delight I havent thought of? Im having it delivered during lunch at GFC. I just hit my 45 day mark today (YAY!!!), so I havent ordered yet. Thanks!!!

Hmmm... well one way I know of to customize Mickey's Delight is to get Donald stamps instead of Mickeys... Also, Ariel has a bunch of sisters, and Lilo has a big sister. There's probably a cute shot of her snuggling Lilo somewhere that you could use. You could also skip the Disney theme and have the cake themed to something else your sister enjoys, or even just her favorite colors. :thumbsup2

ok so I called for a cake for WL at the number 407-824-2955. Was that the right number to call. I talked to a girl but I didnt write down her name. I never was given an email nor have I received an email. They did call the next day to ask a question about red dye. I just am wondering if I did it correctly. Also should i call back to confirm everything. It is for this Sunday.

That's the number to call all right. Did you want to email the pastry chef? Because you have to ask for his address; I think most people just order basic cakes and don't need to contact him about it. And it never hurts to call back and confirm. :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter