OFFICIAL Disney Cake Chatter Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the bakeries use the same recipes and ingredients, so all the cakes taste the same. The only variations you hear about are when a cake occasionally turns out to be stale, or the "how sweet is too sweet?" debate. We had another podium cake back in February and it tasted the same as they have since we began ordering them in 2008. The custom red velvet cake we got on the same trip from the Contemporary was delicious but tasted no different from the red velvet cake we got at the BoardWalk the previous year or our wedding cake made by the Grand Floridian in 2008.

:thumbsup2

Thanks! Any noticeable rate of "staleness" among the bakeries or are the complaints about being stale evenly distributed between all the bakeries?

Also, I know you used to say that Epcot cakes were not good taste-wise - still the case or now just the same as the rest?

I'm happy to report that Epcot now has a pastry chef and is turning out fancy fondant cakes (and frosting their standard cakes in buttercream instead of whipped cream, which was my main taste objection in the past). I haven't seen a report of staleness for a while. My hunch is that the more elaborate the cake, the greater the chance that it will be made ahead of time/in stages and have an opportunity to get stale. But I'm sure there are other factors in play.... I wouldn't worry about it too much, though.

I'm happy to report that Epcot now has a pastry chef and is turning out fancy fondant cakes (and frosting their standard cakes in buttercream instead of whipped cream, which was my main taste objection in the past). I haven't seen a report of staleness for a while. My hunch is that the more elaborate the cake, the greater the chance that it will be made ahead of time/in stages and have an opportunity to get stale. But I'm sure there are other factors in play.... I wouldn't worry about it too much, though.

Thanks lurkloo - I really appreciate it!:goodvibes

Luckyloo, if I could pick your brain again - is there still a lot of difference on cake pricing from one resort or park to another?

I am coming up with a design for my 30th bday cake and would like a hand painted white chocolate statue on top it looks like yacht and beach charges $100+ just for the hand painted figurine not to mention the cake. If instead I ordered through Epcot or CR, do you think the pricing would be any different or has the pricing pretty much evened out between the bakeries?

Would it be ok to call both YC/BC AND Epcot, describe what I want and ask for a quote before actually placing an order and committing to buying it or do they frown on that because of the time required to make a quote?

Lurkyloo or any other knowledgable cake people out there, I just came up with another question in addition to those I asked in the previous post. I am sorry if these were already answered someplace else, but I have gone through 200+ pages of cake thread and my brain is starting to fry! Seriously a university could grant a PhD in ordering a custom cake from Disney!!!

Who is making custom fondant-covered cakes at the MK - another resort like CR (I hope - fingers crossed!!) or GF or does MK now has its own pastry chef on staff?

Thanks again - I really appreciate the help!

Luckyloo, if I could pick your brain again - is there still a lot of difference on cake pricing from one resort or park to another?

I am coming up with a design for my 30th bday cake and would like a hand painted white chocolate statue on top it looks like yacht and beach charges $100+ just for the hand painted figurine not to mention the cake. If instead I ordered through Epcot or CR, do you think the pricing would be any different or has the pricing pretty much evened out between the bakeries?

At the resorts, the white chocolate figures start at around $55 without painting, so the price is not going to be cheap elsewhere, but I will say that, in general, Yacht & Beach Club seems to charge the most and the Contemporary seems to charge the least. There is not a HUGE variance in price, though—maybe $10–$20 in either direction.

Epcot may charge the least for a handpainted figure, though, since they supposedly only charge $25 for plain white chocolate figures.

At any rate, I don't think it would be too much of a hassle for any of these places to just give you a quote.

Who is making custom fondant-covered cakes at the MK - another resort like CR (I hope - fingers crossed!!) or GF or does MK now has its own pastry chef on staff?

The Contemporary is still making the custom cakes served at the MK, they just don't let you place orders for MK cakes directly through the Contemporary anymore. You have to call the Cake Hotline or use the MK's special email—both of which are in Post #2. :thumbsup2

At the resorts, the white chocolate figures start at around $55 without painting, so the price is not going to be cheap elsewhere, but I will say that, in general, Yacht & Beach Club seems to charge the most and the Contemporary seems to charge the least. There is not a HUGE variance in price, though—maybe $10–$20 in either direction.

Epcot may charge the least for a handpainted figure, though, since they supposedly only charge $25 for plain white chocolate figures.

At any rate, I don't think it would be too much of a hassle for any of these places to just give you a quote.

The Contemporary is still making the custom cakes served at the MK, they just don't let you place orders for MK cakes directly through the Contemporary anymore. You have to call the Cake Hotline or use the MK's special email—both of which are in Post #2. :thumbsup2

Hi I'm getting ready to order my daughter's birthday cake for over at GF. I think things have changed since the last time I ordered one in 2011.

Is the choices for cake chocolate or vanilla only.
Is the filling choices buttercream, moose ( chocolate or vanilla), or strawberry only. I swore there were for for birthday cakes.

Also I was told all clip art has to go through legal now so there might not be as many choices. We wanted Ariel in her pink gown. I have seen it used before. We also wanted Sebastian and flounder on it as clip art to spruce it up a bit.

Finally they were telling me there is pretty much a standard Ariel water themed fondant cake they do with waves and seashells and such. Can't seem to find a pic of it. I went through the 165 pages.

Any help would be cool. Seems like there isn't a lot of choices anymore? Or is it me?

Any help would be cool. Seems like there isn't a lot of choices anymore? Or is it me?

It's not you, it's them. Some people call the GF and are told they can only choose from a small selection of flavors. Others call and get pretty much whatever they ask for. Some are told they absolutely can't have X,Y and Z on a cake, and then the day the cake arrives, it has X, Y and Z on it. You have to figure out how to push on the flavor thing without ticking them off. Sometimes more flavors are available when they're already being used in a wedding cake the GF is making. But sometimes the cake you want is too small to accommodate a specialty flavor (carrot cake and fresh fruit fillings can't be used in mini cakes, for example).

As to the standard Ariel cake, if it's true that they do it a lot, then they should have a photo they can send you. And if they don't, maybe you could order it and post a photo here for us! :teeth:

It's not you, it's them. Some people call the GF and are told they can only choose from a small selection of flavors. Others call and get pretty much whatever they ask for. Some are told they absolutely can't have X,Y and Z on a cake, and then the day the cake arrives, it has X, Y and Z on it. You have to figure out how to push on the flavor thing without ticking them off. Sometimes more flavors are available when they're already being used in a wedding cake the GF is making. But sometimes the cake you want is too small to accommodate a specialty flavor (carrot cake and fresh fruit fillings can't be used in mini cakes, for example).

As to the standard Ariel cake, if it's true that they do it a lot, then they should have a photo they can send you. And if they don't, maybe you could order it and post a photo here for us! :teeth:

Regarding the flavors that is what I was told IF they were doing a wedding cake then other flavors would be available but the standard is what I mentioned.

I just don't like shots in the dark. Especially over 100 dollar shots! I trust Pat so I would assume it will be great but I also just don't want a "ya we need another one of those Ariel cakes for a party of 8". When Brian did our last I knew exactly what I was getting and when I got it it was even better.

I guess I'm going to just go with the standard and tell her what characters we want and not commit to it until she hears back from legal and take it from there if they can't do the characters we want.

What is so crazy is they are Disney and they work for Disney so shouldn't they have full creative control since its Disney. Not like its a bakery down the street. That I could see. And it just goes to show u that lawyers know about everything. Even baking I guess. Lol

We are taking a trip in late-ish August, and will be celebrating our 19th anniversary several weeks late, because we couldn't get away near the real date. :(

I just remembered that I made reservations at Chef Mickey's for dinner on a night we will be going straight back to our hotel, so I won't have to schlep anything--and I'm wondering--is it possible to get a Mickey & Minnie that look like they're "anniversary-ing"?? Would it be a screen print, or chocolate figures, or--something else? (I'm not very bakery literate, sorry!) If so, what would I order? A 6 inch? 8 inch? There are 6 of us.

I've read thru about a hundred pages of this thread, from most recent backwards, but not found this question. So sorry if I missed it.

Would also welcome suggestions for colors/decor! I just want to surprise the hubs & kids! :0)

We are taking a trip in late-ish August, and will be celebrating our 19th anniversary several weeks late, because we couldn't get away near the real date. :(

I just remembered that I made reservations at Chef Mickey's for dinner on a night we will be going straight back to our hotel, so I won't have to schlep anything--and I'm wondering--is it possible to get a Mickey & Minnie that look like they're "anniversary-ing"?? Would it be a screen print, or chocolate figures, or--something else? (I'm not very bakery literate, sorry!) If so, what would I order? A 6 inch? 8 inch? There are 6 of us.

I've read thru about a hundred pages of this thread, from most recent backwards, but not found this question. So sorry if I missed it.

Would also welcome suggestions for colors/decor! I just want to surprise the hubs & kids! :0)

I posted pictures a few days back of the white chocolate figurines from GF we got for my in-laws 50th. The figures were $15 there I believe. It was on an 8" cake.

I posted pictures a few days back of the white chocolate figurines from GF we got for my in-laws 50th. The figures were $15 there I believe. It was on an 8" cake.

thank you! I did a search and found what you posted--that anniversary cake was GORGEOUS!! Hope I can get one a little less pricey! ;)

Thanks again!!

Does anybody know the height of the mini wedding cake? I'm wanting to order one for my hubby as a surprise for our 10th anniversary and am wanting to have a filigree white chocolate heart created to have standing next to the cake but want the heart to be a little taller than the cake... just wondering about measurements. Thanks!!

Hi! I am interested in the princess package at CRT (listed on Page 2 I think). Does anyone know if the princess on top of the cake is edible? Or is it some sort of keepsake? It doesn't really matter - just curious and it's hard to tell from the pics. Also, are there still just the five options or have other princesses (such as Rapunzel or Merida) been added? Thanks for the info!

Hi I'm getting ready to order my daughter's birthday cake for over at GF. I think things have changed since the last time I ordered one in 2011.

Is the choices for cake chocolate or vanilla only.
Is the filling choices buttercream, moose ( chocolate or vanilla), or strawberry only. I swore there were for for birthday cakes.

Also I was told all clip art has to go through legal now so there might not be as many choices. We wanted Ariel in her pink gown. I have seen it used before. We also wanted Sebastian and flounder on it as clip art to spruce it up a bit.

Finally they were telling me there is pretty much a standard Ariel water themed fondant cake they do with waves and seashells and such. Can't seem to find a pic of it. I went through the 165 pages.

I just ordered an Ariel/Prince Eric cake for our vow renewal. We're having it delivered to the Garden View Tea Room, so I dealt with Pat at the Grand Floridian. I was given the choice between 2 clipart pictures for the top. I used this picture as my inspiration and sent it to Pat so she knew what I was thinking. She wasn't sure if they could still get the seahorses, but for an 8 inch fondant covered cake decorated with shells and coral and seahorses with a clip art of Eric and Ariel, I was quoted $125.

I just ordered an Ariel/Prince Eric cake for our vow renewal. We're having it delivered to the Garden View Tea Room, so I dealt with Pat at the Grand Floridian. I was given the choice between 2 clipart pictures for the top. I used this picture as my inspiration and sent it to Pat so she knew what I was thinking. She wasn't sure if they could still get the seahorses, but for an 8 inch fondant covered cake decorated with shells and coral and seahorses with a clip art of Eric and Ariel, I was quoted $125.

I was going to send her a pic of her in the pink dress at the end. I saw it on another cake before. It was really nice. When u guys going? Would love to see a pic of it. We leave for mid October. What were ur 2 choices. We also asked about flounder and Sebastian and she said she had to ask legal.

We are going over Labor Day. My two choices of clipart were of Eric and Ariel dancing or Eric and Ariel about to kiss. (I specificially asked for a picture of both Eric and Ariel.) I will certainly post a picture of the cake when we return.

I think I know the picture of Ariel that you are talking about. That cake was beautiful. I found that sending pictures helped Pat picture what I was imagining in my head.

I originally was thinking about a Toy Story cake, but we ran into a problem with legal- I was expecting it though as I was pretty sure Disney did not hold the copyright to the Potato Heads (which I wanted on the cake.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter