OFFICIAL Disney Cake Chatter Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I quoted this from the email that I was sent as a response to a email I sent. It's from Disneyland if that makes a difference
It might make a difference that it's Disneyland, I'm really not sure. The only Disney World character images I have seen were figurines that are either placed on top of a custom cake or just sitting on a plate, and the 2D stand-up screen printed on white chocolate, again, on top of a custom cake generally.

That's great if you can get a figurine on top of a standard cake! I'm all for more options! :wizard:

Thank you so much! One more question I promise. That link has a picture that says "add a character image". Is that the "figurine" option? I was picturing an actual 3D figure. What is the quality of that?

As jcemom said, what they mean is a screen print of a character image. However, Disneyland and Walt Disney World have TOTALLY different cake options and processes. While WDW may have standard character art on file, they can also do pretty much any Disney character (minus Pooh & Friends) as long as they can find an image. See the FAQ in Post #1 of this thread for complete details on characters.

At locations serviced by Deluxe resort bakeries, you can get screen printed characters on standing pieces of white chocolate and full 3-D white chocolate figurines (at $55 and up, only certain characters are available - see Post #1). But, also as jcemom said, you'd have to make a custom order to get these.

At locations serviced by Deluxe resort bakeries, you can get screen printed characters on standing pieces of white chocolate and full 3-D white chocolate figurines (at $55 and up, only certain characters are available - see Post #1). But, also as jcemom said, you'd have to make a custom order to get these.

So I guess at Disneyland these figurines are included in a standard cake?? I just want to know if they were like cheap plastic or edible. I guess that are the standing pieces of white chocolate, because the 3D sounds expensive!

So I guess at Disneyland these figurines are included in a standard cake?? I just want to know if they were like cheap plastic or edible. I guess that are the standing pieces of white chocolate, because the 3D sounds expensive!

I haven't been to Disneyland -- YET! -- so I don't know. Have you already been communicating with them via email? If yes, then I'd ask. Let us know what you come up with and please post pictures afterwards! :goodvibes

I spoke with Pat at the Grand Floridian today to finalize my cake order for the end of August. I had a few things priced out and thought it might be helpful to post them here to give people ideas of current cost.

A 6-inch round chocolate cake filled with chocolate butter cream filling,
and dark chocolate ganache with dark chocolate curls around the cake and topped with clipart of Ariel and Prince Eric, and a red rose and a
hidden anchor. To be delivered to the Garden View Tea Room. Cost is $58.

An 8 inch round chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream filling covered in white fondant decorated with coral, shells, and seahorses, topped with a clipart of Ariel and Prince Eric and an anchor. To be delivered to the Garden View Tea Room. Cost is $125. (If unable to get the seahorses, cost would drop to $90-$100.) Inspiration photo I sent to Pat is here.

A one tier mad hatter cake in a similar theme would start at $250.

Also, FYI, I originally inquired about a Toy Story cake with the Potato Heads on it, and Pat said she would have to talk to legal about copyright issues. After talking to them, Pat informed me that they do not have the copyright permission to use the Potato Heads on cakes and are no longer able to do so.

I spoke with Pat at the Grand Floridian today to finalize my cake order for the end of August. I had a few things priced out and thought it might be helpful to post them here to give people ideas of current cost.

A 6-inch round chocolate cake filled with chocolate butter cream filling,
and dark chocolate ganache with dark chocolate curls around the cake and topped with clipart of Ariel and Prince Eric, and a red rose and a
hidden anchor. To be delivered to the Garden View Tea Room. Cost is $58.

An 8 inch round chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream filling covered in white fondant decorated with coral, shells, and seahorses, topped with a clipart of Ariel and Prince Eric and an anchor. To be delivered to the Garden View Tea Room. Cost is $125. (If unable to get the seahorses, cost would drop to $90-$100.) Inspiration photo I sent to Pat is here.

A one tier mad hatter cake in a similar theme would start at $250.

Also, FYI, I originally inquired about a Toy Story cake with the Potato Heads on it, and Pat said she would have to talk to legal about copyright issues. After talking to them, Pat informed me that they do not have the copyright permission to use the Potato Heads on cakes and are no longer able to do so.

Thank you so much! I see you were able to have a six inch cake customized. That's terrific. It will be just DD and I on our upcoming trip and while I'd like to get more than a mini cake, we just aren't going to be able to eat an eight inch cake. I will have to call and see what they can do for me, working with a six inch.

What other favors could the 1st cake come in

I *think* you can only get six inch cakes in chocolate/chocolate and vanilla/vanilla. It's nice to know they will put decorations on them though.

jac1976 -- did they offer any other flavors to you, do you recall?

Very helpful—thanks! :thumbsup2

Do they offer cakes to be made/delivered at Mama Melrose?

Yes, but only very basic ones. See Post #2 for options and ordering info at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

I am trying to finalize a mini wedding cake order, but have had a bear of a time locating photos of them. The current thread is long and I am having trouble accessing photos. Any shortcuts?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I am trying to finalize a mini wedding cake order, but have had a bear of a time locating photos of them. The current thread is long and I am having trouble accessing photos. Any shortcuts?

Ours is on page 142. HTH!

Here are the posts with all the minicakes from 2013's Disney Weddings showcase:

http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=47508357&postcount=1518

http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=47508375&postcount=1519

Here's the post with 2011's showcase mini cakes:

http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=44811304&postcount=121

Note that none of these are standard designs with names you can ask for, but they are great inspiration. If you send in a photo, the bakery may be able to re-create them.

We will be at Disneyworld for my dd's sweet 16 in November. She wants to eat at Via Napoli on her actual birthday but doesn't care much for cake and icing so I thought she might like the strawberry shortcake. I would like to see what it looks like but can't find a photo of their shortcake. Does anyone have one they can post.
Also, if we can't get that, I have read that we might be able to get a rice krispie "cake" at some other locations. Has anyone had any experience with this recently? Any info would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

We will be at Disneyworld for my dd's sweet 16 in November. She wants to eat at Via Napoli on her actual birthday but doesn't care much for cake and icing so I thought she might like the strawberry shortcake. I would like to see what it looks like but can't find a photo of their shortcake. Does anyone have one they can post.
Also, if we can't get that, I have read that we might be able to get a rice krispie "cake" at some other locations. Has anyone had any experience with this recently? Any info would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

I gotta say, I have never seen anyone post a cake from Via Napoli in this thread and any of the previous ones. Maybe if you did a general search of the DIS for it it'd turn up in someone's trip report?

The rice crispie cake I'm thinking of is a giant Mickey/Minnie head, and I've seen it for sale at the candy shop on Main Street, U.S.A. Is that the one you're thinking of?

Mickey-and-Minnie-Rice-Krispie-Treat-heads.jpg

So I have been doing a lot of research - got through 157 pages of the Official Cake Chatter Thread from around 2009. Then looked through all the photos on Part II of any cakes that sounded interesting (probably looked at about at least 1/2 of the photos).

Plan to keep going through this latest thread too, but overall what is the thought on how the cakes taste lately? Also, if has the taste of the podium cakes gotten any better?

I am planning to get a custom cake for my 30th bday (we will be there about three weeks after the actual date of my bday, but since this is one ending in a zero I will be celebrating the whole trip).

I may also surprise my husband with an anniversary or some other just for fun cake (our anniversary is two and a half weeks after we leave).

I have a pretty good idea now of who makes the best looking cakes (GF, CR and YC/BC seems to be the consensus), but who makes the best tasting cake?

So I have been doing a lot of research - got through 157 pages of the Official Cake Chatter Thread from around 2009. Then looked through all the photos on Part II of any cakes that sounded interesting (probably looked at about at least 1/2 of the photos).

Plan to keep going through this latest thread too, but overall what is the thought on how the cakes taste lately? Also, if has the taste of the podium cakes gotten any better?

I am planning to get a custom cake for my 30th bday (we will be there about three weeks after the actual date of my bday, but since this is one ending in a zero I will be celebrating the whole trip).

I may also surprise my husband with an anniversary or some other just for fun cake (our anniversary is two and a half weeks after we leave).

I have a pretty good idea now of who makes the best looking cakes (GF, CR and YC/BC seems to be the consensus), but who makes the best tasting cake?

I've had a cake from each and my favorite was from GF. But they were all delicious.

All the bakeries use the same recipes and ingredients, so all the cakes taste the same. The only variations you hear about are when a cake occasionally turns out to be stale, or the "how sweet is too sweet?" debate. We had another podium cake back in February and it tasted the same as they have since we began ordering them in 2008. The custom red velvet cake we got on the same trip from the Contemporary was delicious but tasted no different from the red velvet cake we got at the BoardWalk the previous year or our wedding cake made by the Grand Floridian in 2008.

:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter