Official 2016 Star Wars Half Marthon - The Dark Side Weekend

We bought our tickets last night to - 8:00 pm showing on December 17th. Opting to see it in 2D first, and then maybe we'll go back for 3D later. 2D just feels "right", though, when it comes to watching Star Wars.

So excited for the movie thanks to this trailer...cannot wait!!

I have a question about the buses from ESPN Wide World of Sports: After you pick up your race packet, can the buses take you to the parks or only back to your resort?

EDIT: Never mind. Found my answer. :) "Transportation is only provided to and from the host resorts." This will be my first WDW race, so it's a bit overwhelming trying to straighten out all the logistics.

Last edited:
We bought our tickets last night to - 8:00 pm showing on December 17th. Opting to see it in 2D first, and then maybe we'll go back for 3D later. 2D just feels "right", though, when it comes to watching Star Wars.

So excited for the movie thanks to this trailer...cannot wait!!
I have to ask, am I the only Star Wars movie fan who has not seen a trailer, read a story, or even know the cast for Ep. VII? I like to enjoy a movie on its own with no expectations or foreknowledge. The only problem, it seems to embarrass DW and DS when I sit through the trailers with my eyes closed, fingers in my ears and humming.

I have to ask, am I the only Star Wars movie fan who has not seen a trailer, read a story, or even know the cast for Ep. VII? I like to enjoy a movie on its own with no expectations or foreknowledge. The only problem, it seems to embarrass DW and DS when I sit through the trailers with my eyes closed, fingers in my ears and humming.

I'm sure you're not the only one out there. :) I can understand wanting to go in with a blank slate.

While I'll watch official trailers, I'm opting to not read any articles or anything of that nature. I did learn a bit while attending Celebration Anaheim, but that's it.

Oh wait, is there some other big Star Wars thing happening this year other than the Star Wars Dark Side Challenge?

:crazy:

Group Italian Dinner for Folks going Solo?

Since ADRs just opened for the Star Wars Dark Side weekend...

For the other runners traveling by themselves, is there any interest in getting a group reservation together for an Italian dinner on Saturday? We could stay out of the parks by going to either Portobello Country Italian Trattoria (Disney Springs) or Trattoria al Forno (Boardwalk) and keep it somewhat early. I was thinking about 5:00pm but am flexible. If there is enough interest, I would be happy to call the restaurants to check if we can get a big table reservation.

This will be my first runDisney event and my first trip to WDW without the family, and I thought a group dinner may be more enjoyable than eating by myself. Just a thought.

So, Trattoria al Forno (Boardwalk) doesn't open for dinner until 5:00pm, so I have made a reservation for Portobello Country Italian Trattoria (Disney Springs) at 4:00pm on Saturday, April 16, 2016. I made the reservation for six which is our current number:

@opusone
@Z-Knight
@HockeyMomNH +1
@CynthiaC925
Dan K

If anyone would like to join us, please let me know, and we can try to increase the size of the table.

Last edited:
Do bibs ever become available for the sold out events (looking at the dark side challenge) nearer to the date? Like when people have to defer or anything? I'm signed up to the half but I didn't get on to the challenge which I'm feeling kinda bummed about as this will be my first rundisney experience? Doing the 5k with dh (he is not a runner) so I'll get 2 medals but would have been nice to have the full set!
I also have a couple of other questions, I entered my proof of time when I registered, is this the only way I need to do it? My race has a link and a chip time etc but for some reason the fact it's not a US race (I'm from the uk) is making me a little nervous! Keep seeing posts about "trackshack" and I'm like, errrr we don't have that!
Lastly my mom wants to come watch me finish the half, will there be buses running to get family to wwos for this? Thanks for any info!

Do bibs ever become available for the sold out events (looking at the dark side challenge) nearer to the date? Like when people have to defer or anything? I'm signed up to the half but I didn't get on to the challenge which I'm feeling kinda bummed about as this will be my first rundisney experience? Doing the 5k with dh (he is not a runner) so I'll get 2 medals but would have been nice to have the full set!
I also have a couple of other questions, I entered my proof of time when I registered, is this the only way I need to do it? My race has a link and a chip time etc but for some reason the fact it's not a US race (I'm from the uk) is making me a little nervous! Keep seeing posts about "trackshack" and I'm like, errrr we don't have that!
Lastly my mom wants to come watch me finish the half, will there be buses running to get family to wwos for this? Thanks for any info!

I'm pretty sure some of the travel providers still have Dark Side Challenge bibs. You can see the providers on the Star Wars Dark Side runDisney website. Just go to Registration > Travel Providers to see the full list.

You can check (or update) your proof of time on the active.com website. There is a link to active.com on the runDisney site under Runner Info > Proof of Time.

Is this possible? I have never done a morning race at Disney.

So, I am doing the half. It starts at 5:00. At W&D my corral went off about 15 minutes after official start. So, I give worse case scenario, 5:30 I go off. I ran W&D at about a 2:20. So, I allow myself until 8:00 to finish. I am planning on staying at one of the Port Orleans resorts, although I have not finalized that decision. My husband really wants to eat at Boma at AKL. I can get a 10:50 reservation. I would prefer to use Disney transport to the restaurant (meaning I have to transfer at a park), but if push comes to shove, I will have a car at the hotel to drive us over if it comes to that. I would also like to shower before I go eat. I can get ready in about 30 minutes, so this looks doable.

My concern is whether there is a problem getting race transport back to a resort hotel. I stayed at Beach Club at W&D, so I just walked back. Thoughts?

My concern is whether there is a problem getting race transport back to a resort hotel. I stayed at Beach Club at W&D, so I just walked back. Thoughts?
I'm sorry to say the answer is "maybe." I've seen buses come and go very quickly, and I've seen hour+ long lines for buses back to resorts after a race. It's a total crapshoot. I know that doesn't help, but it's realistic! Driving form your resort to Boma is going to save you a big chunk of time, though, so if you do that you'll have some cushion if race buses aren't moving quickly.

Is this possible? I have never done a morning race at Disney.

So, I am doing the half. It starts at 5:00. At W&D my corral went off about 15 minutes after official start. So, I give worse case scenario, 5:30 I go off. I ran W&D at about a 2:20. So, I allow myself until 8:00 to finish. I am planning on staying at one of the Port Orleans resorts, although I have not finalized that decision. My husband really wants to eat at Boma at AKL. I can get a 10:50 reservation. I would prefer to use Disney transport to the restaurant (meaning I have to transfer at a park), but if push comes to shove, I will have a car at the hotel to drive us over if it comes to that. I would also like to shower before I go eat. I can get ready in about 30 minutes, so this looks doable.

I agree - it will be close! You could always drive/uber if you are running late. But, I always caution people that after the race there are still things going on and dj's and characters. I always want to hang around and watch the big screen finish line feed and celebrate with a champagne :) you pay so much for disney races, may as well take them in!!

I agree - it will be close! You could always drive/uber if you are running late. But, I always caution people that after the race there are still things going on and dj's and characters. I always want to hang around and watch the big screen finish line feed and celebrate with a champagne :) you pay so much for disney races, may as well take them in!!

Well, thanks for this. I didn't realize. I have only done W&D, which has the Epcot party after the race. I just assumed there wouldn't be much because there was no party after the race. Of course, even local races have activities after the race, and I presume Disney's will be better than what these locals do. I think I will find another time for Boma.

Well, thanks for this. I didn't realize. I have only done W&D, which has the Epcot party after the race. I just assumed there wouldn't be much because there was no party after the race. Of course, even local races have activities after the race, and I presume Disney's will be better than what these locals do. I think I will find another time for Boma.

Theirs have gotten better lately IMO. They have a few stands with snacks and drinks. Have you seen the ESPN expo rundisney cups that have a cheap refill price? They have the same setup post race (my brother discovered this and is now pretty excited). It is not the same as the epcot or even TOT parties, but it is still a nice runner friendly atmosphere to continue the excitement. For PHM they set up a bunch of chairs in addition to the bleachers so we sat down and soaked up the sun for awhile with a drink before a nice lunch reservation.

You could also just bring baby wipes and a change of clothes and go straight to AKL on a race bus. And, this is more extreme, but AKL has showers in the bathroom between the pool and Boma. That early I don't know that anyone would be using the showers so maybe you could quickly rinse off while the fam watched the animals?

I'm just glad I'm not the only one as I had that same thought yesterday! We have a late reservation as well, only difference is we're staying at AKL so will just head back after we're done. Even if we don't start until 5:45 I figure 3hrs for race/pictures, worst case 1 hr to get back to room which leaves us 1hr to get ready and pack up (moving to BWV).

You could also just bring baby wipes and a change of clothes and go straight to AKL on a race bus. And, this is more extreme, but AKL has showers in the bathroom between the pool and Boma. That early I don't know that anyone would be using the showers so maybe you could quickly rinse off while the fam watched the animals?

I'm just glad I'm not the only one as I had that same thought yesterday! We have a late reservation as well, only difference is we're staying at AKL so will just head back after we're done. Even if we don't start until 5:45 I figure 3hrs for race/pictures, worst case 1 hr to get back to room which leaves us 1hr to get ready and pack up (moving to BWV).

I'm hoping to make it in time for a 11:00am brunch at Narcoosee's after the half marathon. Can I take a race bus directly to the Grand Floridian? Or will I need to use the Epcot monorail, etc? alsoisthereasecretplacetoshoweratthegrandflo? :laughing:

So, I have a question that might be stupid. Can I get the Kessel Run medal if I'm registered for both Star Wars half marathons, but not the challenges? I couldn't get into the challenge either time because I forgot and registered later in the day (West Coast problems...).

Woo! Getting so excited! Got my movie tickets! It's getting me in the right frame of mind for the Dark Side Challenge! Been a very Star Wars-y week! I actually got my mom to sign up for the 5k and it will be her first! So stoked!

I know a few pages back some people were mentioning concerns about the balloon ladies. My last runDisney race I was sooo worried about the 'elusive and incredibly scary balloon ladies!' but they are just kind volunteers that run at the end of the race at a 16 minute pace. Behind them are the sweepers and unless your in the last corral your good to go! Not that your not good to go in the last corral but there is so much extra time in the other corrals. What most people don't think about is that there is a 6 minute wait time between corrals! So there is plenty of time. You should see the very very long lines to get pictures, no worries all around! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter