Official 2016 Star Wars Half Marthon - The Dark Side Weekend

I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but does anyone know when the half packet pickup will be?

At the Expo -

ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex

10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 14, 2016

9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. on Friday, April 15, 2016

10:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, April 16

Sorry, I should've asked that differently....can any race packet be picked up on any day? My last Disney race was inaugural ToT half, and I think we got all our packets at once, but it's been a while. THANKS for such a quick reply! :)

Believe I know the answer, but has anyone happened to call and ask if there are discounted tickets offered for this race? I'm about 99% sure I'm going to get an Annual Pass as I have 3 trips planned in the next year and I've done my homework and gotten about 12% off Disney Gift cards by using Raise and Target (but that's another forum.....) However, just thought I should do the last minute check in case anyone has heard something different.
The park tickets are significantly discounted. You can call for pricing. My 3 day hoppers were $215.13 with tax ($101 savings). You might want to check and see if they are upgradeable so that after using the ticket you can apply the full gate value to an AP.

I guess I'll go ahead and ask one more...I've been super busy and since I had a SUPER awesome business trip (Netherlands and France!!) I really have not keeping up with news like I usually do (I got my travel fix with some actual travel LOL). Has there been any mention of an after-party? After the ToT party fiasco, I won't be too disappointed if there isn't, but I thought I'd ask.

Sorry - forgot to quote. For the ticket above, what race was that one for? I haven't done a RunDisney race in a while but for the last W&D I received a code, but for this one I didn't see that or any info online.

Last edited:

The park tickets are significantly discounted. You can call for pricing. My 3 day hoppers were $215.13 with tax ($101 savings). You might want to check and see if they are upgradeable so that after using the ticket you can apply the full gate value to an AP.

Sorry - forgot to quote. For the ticket above, what race was that one for? I haven't done a RunDisney race in a while but for the last W&D I received a code, but for this one I didn't see that or any info online.

I called runDisney last weekend and they told me that there were not any discounts for the Dark Side race, so maybe I need to call back? I have our hotel booked, but no tickets yet!

On both this and another forum I've read that people have called in and asked and the answer has been no....oh well...looks like it an AP for me by using Raise/Target gift cards....

Signed up for the half! Did the Inaugural Star Wars in Disneyland in January, so kind of had to do the Inaugural Star Wars half in Disney World!

This time going with a friend who is running her first half. Just did my 5th at a local race yesterday.

This will be my 2nd runDisney race, but first at Disney World. Suggestions on hotel? I know there is a MUCH earlier need to be at buses compared to Disneyland. Any hotel close?

This will be my 2nd runDisney race, but first at Disney World. Suggestions on hotel? I know there is a MUCH earlier need to be at buses compared to Disneyland. Any hotel close?

All hotels should be host hotels, meaning they will offer bus or monorail service to the expo and the race. It's really just a matter of setting a price range and choosing a hotel that fits your budget. We like to stay at the Epcot area hotels because it's so easy to walk to the parks from there. We've also stayed at CBR and All Star before, and had no issues with either of them.

I just signed up for the 5k. I am running my first ever 5k race at the beginning of November (I've been training since the summer).
I'm pretty excited!

Welcome aboard!! Keep reading , keep running, and post about your journey!!
This is a great supportive group here
:)

BF and I are registered for the challenge and this will be our first run Disney event. Any idea if there will be special Star Wars themed events during the weekend... or things similar to the typical Star Wars weekends, ie star wars character dining or and after party? If so, where is the best place to check for these to be announced? Will emails be sent or something announced on the run Disney site or Disney parks blog?

Question about pacing and the balloon ladies. Does anyone know at which point they might drop off for the half if they do at all? For instance if you can get to mile 11 you're good type of situation? Was having some calf problems, finally went to the ortho doc and was diagnosed with compartment syndrome so it looks like I'll have to walk the race. I'm short with short legs/stride so I'm now worried about the pace.

Balloon ladies are not official - they are participating just like you and me so they don't drop off. The official are the sweepers on bikes - from what I saw in the video of the last runner in Disneyland half. They were there at least till mile 13.05 before they stopped and let the last runner finish.

Question about pacing and the balloon ladies. Does anyone know at which point they might drop off for the half if they do at all? For instance if you can get to mile 11 you're good type of situation? Was having some calf problems, finally went to the ortho doc and was diagnosed with compartment syndrome so it looks like I'll have to walk the race. I'm short with short legs/stride so I'm now worried about the pace.
As Z-Knight said, the Balloon Ladies are not the sweepers - just some lovely ladies who enter the races and keep a 16:00/mile pace through the finish to help folks along the way. We don't yet know what the course will be for this half, so no way of saying where a final hard sweep might occur. Generally at WDW the rule is that they need to clear roadways, so final sweep points tend to be at the final point a course leaves roadways and enters parks. For the Jan. 1/2 and PHM, for example, that's when runners enter EP around mile 12ish. So not a lot of cushion, really.

You have a lot of time to see how your walking pace goes and to decide whether or not to go ahead with the race or defer. Don't panic yet!

Ok I'm officially excited! Doing my first rundisney race with the 5k. Really wanted to try a 10k but it was already filled. Going solo for 2 days before my husband is bringing the kids. Does anyone do any meet ups at the expo or anything? I'm so nervous about doing this on my own. Running my first 5k next Sunday to get a good starting pace and work on getting my time better

I walked the Tinkerbell Half this past May. DH was recovering from an injury. We also started in the last corral since we signed up a month before the race through a charity. We tried to line up in the first third of the corral. We didn't stop for pictures and was able to finish the half without ever seeing the balloon ladies. So it's possible to walk the race without being swept. I would suggest having a few practice walks to figure out the best pace/stride for you. I didn't realize my legs would be so sore after walking (especially my shins). I think it's because you use different muscles when you walk versus when you run. Since I didn't train to walk long distances, the muscles used to walk were quite sore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter