Official 2016 Star Wars Half Marthon - The Dark Side Weekend

So my DH and I are doing our first 5K which ends in Epcot. What do you do after that? We figured we would just have our family meet us (watch us finish) and do Epcot that day. So can you stay there or do they make you leave the gates and come back?

Hi all!

I have been to WDW three times with the family (wife plus two kiddos, as well as parent in-laws on one trip) over the past six or seven years, so I am familiar with the basics, but the Dark Side Challenge will be a first for me on many fronts: first runDisney event, first time solo to WDW, first time in a value resort, first time visiting WDW without getting theme park tickets. I do have a few questions if anyone has any words of wisdom:

1. Does it feel weird to go to WDW solo?
2. Should I just have fun during the runs or go for a fast time? Given that I am doing the Dark Side Challenge, should I only try to go fast on one of the two runs, and then just enjoy the other run for fun? If so, which one?
3. Am I going to be sorry I stayed at a value resort (Pop Century)? I don't need the finest accommodations, and I am trying to keep costs down, but I do worry about noise that could prevent a good night's sleep.
4. Where are your favorite places to eat the day before a runDisney race?
5. runDisney events seem to have a big following, but what is everyone's favorite part of the runDisney events? The course? Characters? Camaraderie with other runners? Expo? Wearing costumes? Anything else?
6. Any question I should have asked but didn't?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

------------------------

Also,
7. Approximately how many minutes between corral starts?

1. Weird, no. I think it depends how long you go. It is freeing to do whatever you want, whenever you want. But after awhile it did start to get a little lonely standing in lines and what not. I went for about a week though.
2. All personal preference. Myself, I stopped my runkeeper timer when I stopped for photo lines. Then I knew how my pace was really going minus those stops.
3. I personally spend more time at the resort during race trips, resting my legs. I like to sit by the pool and use the hot tub. Values do not have a hot tub, so I nixed them. I have never had any noise issues at night in any of my stays in any level resort. I have, however, had noise in the mornings with children crying or things. I doubt that would really matter considering the 5am race time! Maybe ask for a higher floor in the corner to avoid people walking past your room as much as you can.
4. I love italian food, so that is a no brainer for me. Tutto Italia in Epcot Italy is my usual. My next race I am doing Via Napoli. If you want a non-park option, Il Mulino at the Swan/Dolphin gets great reviews.
5. I just find them more interesting than other local races. The parks are fun to walk through, so definitely just as fun to run through. I like the entertainment on course, and I like the music, ambiance etc. Also I live in Ohio so...Florida. As much as possible, Florida.
6. You will come up with more questions as you go. The most common I see is are there hills? Short answer, not really. But there are overpasses on the longer courses. They are a different animal, with a slight incline, but it just lasts for what seems forever so they still wear you out.
7. Usually 3 min, 5 min, I think they get longer the further back in the corrals you are since the corrals themselves become larger.

So my DH and I are doing our first 5K which ends in Epcot. What do you do after that? We figured we would just have our family meet us (watch us finish) and do Epcot that day. So can you stay there or do they make you leave the gates and come back?
I dont believe the park will be open even if you finished after 1 hour, so you'll have to meet them and go later

Believe I know the answer, but has anyone happened to call and ask if there are discounted tickets offered for this race? I'm about 99% sure I'm going to get an Annual Pass as I have 3 trips planned in the next year and I've done my homework and gotten about 12% off Disney Gift cards by using Raise and Target (but that's another forum.....) However, just thought I should do the last minute check in case anyone has heard something different.

What forum do I look in for THAT arrangement of discounts?!?!
Edited:
Found it! Tnx
:)

Last edited:
Hi all!

I have been to WDW three times with the family (wife plus two kiddos, as well as parent in-laws on one trip) over the past six or seven years, so I am familiar with the basics, but the Dark Side Challenge will be a first for me on many fronts: first runDisney event, first time solo to WDW, first time in a value resort, first time visiting WDW without getting theme park tickets. I do have a few questions if anyone has any words of wisdom:

2. Should I just have fun during the runs or go for a fast time? Given that I am doing the Dark Side Challenge, should I only try to go fast on one of the two runs, and then just enjoy the other run for fun? If so, which one?
3. Am I going to be sorry I stayed at a value resort (Pop Century)? I don't need the finest accommodations, and I am trying to keep costs down, but I do worry about noise that could prevent a good night's sleep.
5. runDisney events seem to have a big following, but what is everyone's favorite part of the runDisney events? The course? Characters? Camaraderie with other runners? Expo? Wearing costumes? Anything else?

------------------------

Also,

Hiya! Can't answer all of these, but I got some deets!

1. Dunno, smallest group I've done it duo.
2. I'm not the most experienced, my RunDisney race was my first and only, so I was in a higher corral which was HIGH crowd. We were weaving the whole time and it was hard to go to fast. But I think you have a different experience if you are in an earlier corral. But tbh I consider these fun races, there are a lot of characters and activities and pictures. Just enjoy the entertainment provided on course and the actual course (DISNEY PARKS! WOO) I mean your paying the big bucks might as well enjoy the benefits that aren't in other races.
3. My friend and I went to the PHM 2015 and we're poor college students, we went stingy on hotel. We stayed at All Star Movies, not the greatest, but we were there just for the races so it wasn't a biggie at all. There was also a lot of BAND KIDS everywhere, and people there for kid races, and even though the hotel was booked with kiddos, it wasn't crazy noisy at all! Totally chill.
4. We ate at The Wave at the Contemporary the day before, since it's more important what you eat the day before and especially earlier, we had a huge brunch there. Its the brunch buffet, a lot of people were there from finishing their 10k and was a lot of fun! Good healthy options, I'm in school to be a nutritionist, so yeah I can verify some healthy things, not just saying they had a good salad, ha ha.
5. Everything! If your gonna race go big or go home! ;)
6. I would definitely submit a race time from a previous race if you can. Plenty of time to still do a race and submit. Also, your at Disney, you're with thousands of crazy fun runners, go out and dress up!
7. 6 minutes between corrals. There's an elite corral and then the rest follow the alphabet and I was in L (corral 13/17) and we basically waited an hour :( That's why I recommend submitting a time. I was in the second no submission corral. I'm hoping this year with my improved time I can get an early corral and the crowds will be less for pictures! My friend and I did a lot of selfies trying to get characters in the background because the lines were so so so LONG!

Hi all!

1. I don't know, but my race trips have included just myself and brother though and we have just as much fun as when we were with larger groups.
2. I went into the Dumbo Double Dare thinking I would take the 10k easier and do photos, well when it came I ran faster than I planned but still hit all the characters, I didn't go crazy, but was fine for the 1/2. It's hard to say until you are there in the moment, but personally I would take the 10k easier if you want to take one easier.
3. POP is great. You can have some noise from kids running to their room at night and sometimes you can hear fireworks, but it's not terrible. Don't request a pool view so you can avoid any late night pool noise or lake view so maybe to minimize on firework noise.
4. I like Riverside's Pasta Your Way or Art of Animation has it too. We don't do table service usually to not be locked to a time.
5. Favorite is the overall experience, but characters are a major plus and just seeing all the runners is cool. Expo is fine but not the best part for me by any means. Costumes are a big plus too, I'm already working on my Dopey stuff, it's just so fun to do and see everyone elses!

The 5k has a 6am start? And with 5 or so corrals with roughly 7 min between each...So lets assume the last corral walkers would be done by around 8am. People hang out in the post race area too, eating the snack box goodies and taking photos with characters, so they sill start packing the dj and things up after the final runner crosses. By that time you could walk to the front of EP for rope drop for a 9am opening. So if you wanted to hang around and relax for awhile you could theoretically. If you left when they packed up you would be at the EP gates at 8:15.

But, if you finish by 7 and spend some time in the post race area, I still think you would have time to monorail to say the Poly and do breakfast at kona cafe or captain cooks QS and come back on the monorail for EP opening at 9.

Thanks so much! Well, now my kids have decided they want to run in the kids 1 mile, so now we get to rethink all of our plans!
The finish line is actually outside the gates. After every race, I go back to my room to shower, change then go to breakfast and then hit the parks.

The 5k has a 6am start? And with 5 or so corrals with roughly 7 min between each...So lets assume the last corral walkers would be done by around 8am. People hang out in the post race area too, eating the snack box goodies and taking photos with characters, so they sill start packing the dj and things up after the final runner crosses. By that time you could walk to the front of EP for rope drop for a 9am opening. So if you wanted to hang around and relax for awhile you could theoretically. If you left when they packed up you would be at the EP gates at 8:15.

But, if you finish by 7 and spend some time in the post race area, I still think you would have time to monorail to say the Poly and do breakfast at kona cafe or captain cooks QS and come back on the monorail for EP opening at 9.

It can easily be under an hour if you don't shop. I think my expo PR sits at about 35 minutes, including the trek to and from my car in the back 40, lol! It's really just hand in your waiver/s and sign for your bib/s, then scoot over to another building to get your shirt and swag.:(

A few questions about parking and fees. I'm a Florida resident, and I'm still deciding how I'm going to approach this race in terms of time spent at Disney, accommodations, etc. Am I correct that there are no charges to enter ESPN Wide World of Sports to pick up race packet and attend Expo? If I drive up early in the morning before the race, or stay offsite, will I be charged for parking at Epcot? Thanks...

Correct - no cost to park at WWOS. I'm not sure about Epcot in the am though as I've always taken the bus.

Sis and I did the inaugural Rebel Challenge this year and will be returning to for 2016, so of course we had to sign up for the Dark Side. So excited!!

Ughhh, had a crappy 10k race today. Totally was struggling through it and only could manage a 51 minute time. What's frustrating is that last weekend I had a bridge run 10k where you go up a bridge (both ways, in the humid snow in Houston) 4 times (4.3% grade) and I struggled through that with a cold and did it in 52 minutes. So pissed at myself today because I wanted to improve my 48 min POT, oh well. I'm wondering if my 11 mile training run on Friday took too much out of me - my heart rate today was averaging 162 for the 10k and it usually is around 144 for these runs. Sigh.

Ughhh, had a crappy 10k race today. Totally was struggling through it and only could manage a 51 minute time. What's frustrating is that last weekend I had a bridge run 10k where you go up a bridge (both ways, in the humid snow in Houston) 4 times (4.3% grade) and I struggled through that with a cold and did it in 52 minutes. So pissed at myself today because I wanted to improve my 48 min POT, oh well. I'm wondering if my 11 mile training run on Friday took too much out of me - my heart rate today was averaging 162 for the 10k and it usually is around 144 for these runs. Sigh.

I dunno, I think I'd probably jump up and down and do a cartwheel if I finished a 10k in 48 min :yay:

Z-Knight, I empathize with you. It often seems to be the times you want to run your best are the times you're just not feeling it (and the converse, the times you feel pretty lackluster going into a race are sometimes the times you perform best). Running is a series of good and bad days. Unfortunately, the bad days sometimes happen on race days. I do have a few questions for you, though:
1. Did you have an 11-mile run two days before your bridge run? I highly suspect that the 11-miler two days prior significantly affected your performance.
2. Did you start the race this weekend at the correct pace? What was your first mile split?
3. Did you get a good night sleep before your race?
4. Did you eat normally the three or four days prior to the race?

If you truly want to improve your POT, I would suggest treating your POT as a key race in your training plan. That is, focus on eating correctly for the 3-4 days prior, taper appropriately (including not racing the weekend prior), get a good night sleep, warm up properly, and then start the race at the correct pace.

Unfortunately, though, even if you do everything just right, it still might not be a good day, but it definitely increases your chances of a successful race.

Hi all!

------------------------

Also,

1. Maybe - depends on the person. It always takes me a day to get used to not needing to keep track of my offspring, so it's "weird" in that way, but I really enjoy the few times a year I get some time to myself.
2. My advice is to make that decision when you get close to the race. You'll have a good feel by then of how you feel in training and what you can realistically expect come race day. That said... this is likely to be a very, very warm race weekend. Add in the crowds and the back-to-back challenge and it may not be the day for hard racing. With winter challenges, I generally take the short race super easy with lots of stops and race the longer distance - but I just may reverse that for this one.
3. I've never stayed at Pop, so I can't speak to its noise factor, but ANY resort has the potential for noisy neighbors. I always use a white noise app to drown it out, just in case. :)
4. I don't have specific places - I just try to pick something that's as close to possible to what Iv'e been eating in training.
5. Hmmm... if I have to pick *one* thing - I honestly think it's the camaraderie, spending time with my running friends form around the country. I don't love racing and happily run long all by myself without any race as a goal, but I do love being in WDW with awesome people for a weekend of running therapy!
6. I can't think of anything, but you'll see lots of good info over the coming months!
7. Assume 5; sometimes less, sometimes more, but 5 is a pretty good average to work with.

A few questions about parking and fees. I'm a Florida resident, and I'm still deciding how I'm going to approach this race in terms of time spent at Disney, accommodations, etc. Am I correct that there are no charges to enter ESPN Wide World of Sports to pick up race packet and attend Expo? If I drive up early in the morning before the race, or stay offsite, will I be charged for parking at Epcot? Thanks...
Correct - no parking fee at WWOS or for race parking!

Hi all! DS and I are running the 10k on Saturday. Does anyone have any idea what time we will be done, approximately? Just looking at the calendar and trying to plan the rest of that day. We will have to meet up with my DM and DD. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter