• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

So as crazy as it sounds, I registered for the princess 10k this morning. It is crazy because I am not a runner.

You are now! You signed up for a race, therefore you are a runner. :)

It seems like the half is becoming a less popular distance ... I wonder if its because many of the people who do the half figure they might as well go for the challenge? It's definitely food for thought, and I'm interested to see what happens on general registration day in 2 weeks.

I think it's people going for the challenge. Goofy has been suffering from the same fate since Dopey was introduced. With Disney races typically being more about fun and photos and bling than PRs, people are more likely sign up for the challenges because they can be done at relaxed and easy pacing.

Last edited:
So as crazy as it sounds, I registered for the princess 10k this morning. It is crazy because I am not a runner. I walk with my mom in the mornings but that just started 3 weeks ago and usually we only walk two miles. In my training process, I hope to become overall more healthy. Working in healthcare, I see all these limbs cut off and other health problems and I am just about 200 pounds at 29 and I do not want to be looking like these sick people! So getting healthy and running at 10k in Disney where my heart is most days! So i am just going to use Jeff Galloway's training unless someone can recommend another training program more for a non runner I would be so grateful! Thank you!

"If you can dream it, you can do it." -- Walt Disney

You got this! One step at a time. When my husband and I started training, we mapped out a two-mile route in the neighborhood. The first day, I could go about 100 yards. Every day I tried to go one more driveway between walk breaks, until I could connect the walk breaks, and ultimately run the whole two miles. A year and a half after that, I finished a marathon, and I'm still running. Go for it!!! You can do it!!!

Seriously hoping that someone lost their mind at rD. The whole entire big huge point of booking Bay Lake was to have the monorail in the morning.[/QUOTE]

I can't imagine they won't have the monorail running. I looked for marathon weekend, it starts at 3 am for all those race days.

I'm guessing it's a typo, or a mid edit, similar to the confirmations we all received yesterday congratulating us for registering for Star Wars.

But it might be worth a call or email to rd, so that you can change reservations before the 7 month mark if you have another home resort than BLT, or be ready to make a switch right when the 7 month window opens if need be. All hotels are hosting, so I guess there would be buses, but seems odd not to use the monorail for this.

It may seem impossible at first, but your goal is definitely within reach! Just take it one day at a time. Start out with a training plan that you can manage. Maybe look at downloading one of the free Couch to 10k apps. That's how I started when trying to drop my baby weight a few years back. Those first few weeks may be rough, but you'll soon get the hang of it, and you won't believe how far you've come when you look back. :) Good luck with your training!

Fabulous!

Galloway is great for beginners, and you don't ever have to start the "jog" part of "walk jog" if you don't want to. He gives a good base of when to lengthen the distance/time.

When I first followed a Couch to 5K program I *first* went through it with time. I used one off of coolrunnings.com, and it had time or distance. I was on the treadmill only at the time. So first I went through it with time. I had to repeat many weeks because my body systems weren't all ready to move to the next week's plan at the same time! Then once I got through that, I went through the training again for distance. Again, had to repeat weeks.

Good for you!!!!

I only started running 8 weeks ago, never ran before that. I am using the Galloway method too and so far so good! Had you told me 8 weeks ago I could make it 2.5 miles I never would have believed you. Keep it up! Feb is a ways away yet. You can do it.

It does not sound crazy---you can do this!!!

It's not crazy at all! We all had to start somewhere! If I can do it, you can do it!

Nope. No runDisney discounts any more! There is usually some sort of February discount coming out in the fall at select hotels. POR is my resort of choice.

The Dis group is "DisGirls and Guys Princess Half Marathon."

You are now! You signed up for a race, therefore you are a runner. :)

I think it's people going for the challenge. Goofy has been suffering from the same fate since Dopey was introduced. With Disney races typically being more about fun and photos and bling than PRs, people are more likely sign up for the challenges because they can be done at relaxed and easy pacing.

"If you can dream it, you can do it." -- Walt Disney

You got this! One step at a time. When my husband and I started training, we mapped out a two-mile route in the neighborhood. The first day, I could go about 100 yards. Every day I tried to go one more driveway between walk breaks, until I could connect the walk breaks, and ultimately run the whole two miles. A year and a half after that, I finished a marathon, and I'm still running. Go for it!!! You can do it!!!

THANK you ALL for the encouragement! I feel like I will be ok and besides, I do not like wasting money so I am going to run something!!!

That 5:30 am monorail start has got to be a mistake, monorail service totally started around 3 am this year, and was packed with people. They would need lots more buses to accommodate the monorail traffic. It is a definite plus to stay on the monorail resort line for the Princess Half - I was at the Contemporary and would recommend that or the Polynesian.

Sold out in what way? For early registration DVC members?
Yes...AP/DVC registration (supposedly) makes up 5-10% of the total registration spots available. There are still lots left for general registration on 7/14.
That 5:30 am monorail start has got to be a mistake, monorail service totally started around 3 am this year, and was packed with people. They would need lots more buses to accommodate the monorail traffic. It is a definite plus to stay on the monorail resort line for the Princess Half - I was at the Contemporary and would recommend that or the Polynesian.
Agreed. There's no way that can be right...I'd be stunned if the monorail wasn't going for the races. :confused3

Very grumpy about rundisney right now. I was in a Disney Institute training yesterday at Swan and stepped out early to register for GSC. Sat in the Swan lobby refreshing the page, then got the link to go active at 12:02 GSC was on hold. Refreshed for a while, but no luck. I've never had difficulty with early registration. I'll be ready on the 14th, but that was stressful.

I'm probably running alone, and I also felt funny about running alone because it seems to be such a 'sisterhood' type run where groups dress up and make it a girlfriend type event. I guess the plus to running alone is you can set your own pace. Running with a group, though, would add more fun to the experience and make the time go quickly. My boyfriend may do the 10K with me, but I'm on my own for the PHM (if I decide to do it - still on the fence).

It might be an idea to see who else is running alone and create a DisBoards group.

Same here! I'm running the 5k with my boyfriend, 10k may be at our own paces and then the PHM is solo (obviously pending lucky registration). I'd definitely be happy to meet up with folks from here to have a PHM group to run, support each other!

Same here! I'm running the 5k with my boyfriend, 10k may be at our own paces and then the PHM is solo (obviously pending lucky registration). I'd definitely be happy to meet up with folks from here to have a PHM group to run, support each other!

totally agree! I would love to run with some fellow Dis'ers!

I'm in for GSC!! No issues registering yesterday. Also got my Mom registered for 5K and DD6 registered for kids 1 mile run!! This one is going to be a girls trip!! :banana:

I can't imagine they won't have the monorail running. I looked for marathon weekend, it starts at 3 am for all those race days.

I'm guessing it's a typo, or a mid edit, similar to the confirmations we all received yesterday congratulating us for registering for Star Wars.

But it might be worth a call or email to rd, so that you can change reservations before the 7 month mark if you have another home resort than BLT, or be ready to make a switch right when the 7 month window opens if need be. All hotels are hosting, so I guess there would be buses, but seems odd not to use the monorail for this.

I like the way you think. It's gotta be an error.

I'll stay there anyway. I can still take the monorail "home", and DH wants me to check out our DVC home since we have never actually stayed there! And I don't want to have wasted finally using our 11 month home-resort booking advantage. :)

I like the way you think. It's gotta be an error.

I'll stay there anyway. I can still take the monorail "home", and DH wants me to check out our DVC home since we have never actually stayed there! And I don't want to have wasted finally using our 11 month home-resort booking advantage. :)

It has to be a mistake. That doesn't even make sense!

Maybe I totally missed it as I was rushing through AP registration but did they not ask who your favorite princess was this year? I thought in the past your bib has been personalized as that princess' colors.

Maybe I totally missed it as I was rushing through AP registration but did they not ask who your favorite princess was this year? I thought in the past your bib has been personalized as that princess' colors.

You didn't miss it. It Wasn't there this year or last year. 2014 was my first time registering and it was there then. When I registered for 2015 I didn't see it and I I asked here if I'd missed it, but it wasn't there then either. Bibs this year were all alike for the races, unless you did GSC, those have their own bibs.

You didn't miss it. It Wasn't there this year or last year. 2014 was my first time registering and it was there then. When I registered for 2015 I didn't see it and I I asked here if I'd missed it, but it wasn't there then either. Bibs this year were all alike for the races, unless you did GSC, those have their own bibs.

Ok that explains it! The last time I did Princess was 2014 so I had no idea they stopped doing that this year.

Can you post a link to that FB page? I can't seem to "find" it anyplace!
Thanks
Beverly (waiting to hear back from my TA on my early reg!)

The Dis group is "DisGirls and Guys Princess Half Marathon."[/QUOTE]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter