Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

For those who registered today, how quickly did the half sell out? Nervous for registration on the 14th!

It seems like the half is becoming a less popular distance ... I wonder if its because many of the people who do the half figure they might as well go for the challenge? It's definitely food for thought, and I'm interested to see what happens on general registration day in 2 weeks.

It seems like the half is becoming a less popular distance ... I wonder if its because many of the people who do the half figure they might as well go for the challenge? It's definitely food for thought, and I'm interested to see what happens on general registration day in 2 weeks.
Yes, I think so (that those who are doing the half, figure they might as well go for the challenge)--at least in my case. I am starting to feel like Disney races are "fun" races, not PRs---so I might as well go for as much bling and fun as possible. Other races will be my PR/push myself to my limits races.

I think its some of that plus since the introduction of the 10Ks - some people would rather just run that distance than commit to 13.1 miles now that its an option as well.

I think I screwed up today and don't want to repeat my mistakes on the 14th- got onto the Active page at 9:03 and GSC was listed as "on hold" and I assumed that meant it was essentially sold out. But I am reading that people had success registering well after that. What should I have done when I saw "on hold"? Keep refreshing? Every second or every few minutes? It's my first time with the new Active page- help set me up to succeed on the 14th!

I think I screwed up today and don't want to repeat my mistakes on the 14th- got onto the Active page at 9:03 and GSC was listed as "on hold" and I assumed that meant it was essentially sold out. But I am reading that people had success registering well after that. What should I have done when I saw "on hold"? Keep refreshing? Every second or every few minutes? It's my first time with the new Active page- help set me up to succeed on the 14th!

Keep refreshing as much as you can until it shows up.

Question? Do I need to purchase a Chear Squad package for my husband to view me at the races? And, I'm officially signed up for the Glass Slipper Challenge!! SOO excited!
Last year I did the 20k and my daughter did GSC. I wasn't sure if I should get a cheer package and decided not to. After lots of reading I went with her to the start, then took the monorail and watched her go into magic kingdom, took the monorail over to the poly and went onto the street there and cheered her on again and then took the monorail back to Epcot and waited at the finish. Was able to see her a couple times and she texted by during a couple walk/drink breaks so I kinda knew her timing.

Today was a strange one for me. I have never had an issue signing up while on my cell. Got on at 12:00 and stayed on hold, refreshing a lot and no luck. So now when the 14th gets here I am leaving work to sign up on the laptops at home. Have to sign up my daughter and I.

I decided to go through Children's Miracle Network for the GSC. I signed up tonight. Just seeing the posts of the pre-registration today made me so stressed. LOL! So, I am in. I will register for the 5K on July 14th.

I'm in for the Glass Slipper Challenge. Registration was smooth sailing - done by 12:03p! Booked my airfare this morning on Southwest. Lucked out, as Southwest just released flights this morning, so prices were reasonable. Last year, the weather for week started out really cold (the Frozen 5K was seriously frozen in the upper 30's) but got warmer for the the half.

Can you describe how it worked to use the monorail from BLT? Where you went, etc?

It's easy as pie. I did it all 3 mornings. I was a spectator for the 5k in 2014 when I stayed there, and I ran the 10k and half. I believe for the 6:30 start of the 5k we (my dad the racer, mom and I spectating) left our rooms at around 445-5 am, took the elevator to the bridge level (4 or 5) and then walked to the monorail. Hopped on, went to TTC, switched to Epcot train, then walked to the waiting area/corrals. For the 10k and half, with 530 starts I left my room (solo for these) around 3:45. Sorry I don't remember exact times. My dad was tough to get up early for his race, and I didn't want to stand around alone too long for my races. So I do remember, whatever the program said was the latest you should be on the monorail to get to the start in time was what I was shooting for. The walk from rooms to the monorail takes 5 minutes, so I probably left 15 minutes before the cutoff to give some cushion for waiting for a train. But I never had to.

I'd stay there again in a heartbeat for races, but most of my large family group prefers BWV for the easy access to EPCOT and HS.

Edit: I was just checking something else on the rD website, and glanced over the travel/transportation page. It does in fact say that the monorail will start at 5:30. You may want to clarify that, because that would mean you'd have no monorail, only the bus as an option to get to the start. I can't imagine it is right based on my past experience, but that is what it says...

Last edited:
So as crazy as it sounds, I registered for the princess 10k this morning. It is crazy because I am not a runner. I walk with my mom in the mornings but that just started 3 weeks ago and usually we only walk two miles. In my training process, I hope to become overall more healthy. Working in healthcare, I see all these limbs cut off and other health problems and I am just about 200 pounds at 29 and I do not want to be looking like these sick people! So getting healthy and running at 10k in Disney where my heart is most days! So i am just going to use Jeff Galloway's training unless someone can recommend another training program more for a non runner I would be so grateful! Thank you!

It's not crazy at all! We all had to start somewhere! If I can do it, you can do it!

Oh! I should ask here! :)

I called the reservation line today to ask about some resort stuff for Wine and Dine, and while I had them on the line, I asked about reservations for Princess. She said that reservations opened today for those who pre-registered...but that it was "rack rate" with no discount. Is that typical? I thought there was usually some discount for RunDisney? Should I wait to reserve a room, or go ahead and reserve now?
I'm not even sure where I want to stay. 2 years ago I stayed at Wildnerness Lodge, which was great---but I'm not sure i want to spend that much again, especially because I plan to spend an extra night. Also, I am trying to stay at all the resorts at least once, so I would like something different. So far I have stayed at BWI, YC, Poly, WL, POR, POFQ, CSR, Ft. Wilderness Cabins....I have reservations for POP for marathon weekend and Shades of Green for wine and dine (unless any good military discounts open up before then.)

Nope. No runDisney discounts any more! There is usually some sort of February discount coming out in the fall at select hotels. POR is my resort of choice.

I heard there is a Facebook Page for runners. We are signed up for the Enchanted Princess 10K. Is there a FB page link for that? TIA

The Dis group is "DisGirls and Guys Princess Half Marathon."

I think its some of that plus since the introduction of the 10Ks - some people would rather just run that distance than commit to 13.1 miles now that its an option as well.

I agree.

Also, the Half is a serious distance. For me, at least, it requires extra rest, really good nutrition, excellent hydration, NOTHING difficult at all, digestion-wise. I get totally freaky pre-Half, and it really messes with the family vacation aspect of it all.

10K is a million times easier in terms of all of that.

Keep refreshing as much as you can until it shows up.

Yes.

I decided to go through Children's Miracle Network for the GSC. I signed up tonight. Just seeing the posts of the pre-registration today made me so stressed. LOL! So, I am in. I will register for the 5K on July 14th.

Nice! If I didn't have BLT booked with points I would have been all over Acclaim Travel if I couldn't have booked thanks to DVC, just getting it done and over with.

Edit: I was just checking something else on the rD website, and glanced over the travel/transportation page. It does in fact say that the monorail will start at 5:30. You may want to clarify that, because that would mean you'd have no monorail, only the bus as an option to get to the start. I can't imagine it is right based on my past experience, but that is what it says...

Seriously hoping that someone lost their mind at rD. The whole entire big huge point of booking Bay Lake was to have the monorail in the morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter