Official 2015 Quick Service Meal Substitutions *Post Here*

If you swap a drink for a snack at a quick service restaurant would you still be able to get free ice water to drink? I just want to make sure I'm understanding this right! :)

Then they need to change the brochure language because it states that a QS beverage *May be substituted for any item that is an eligible snack at the location.

Apparently, this has become my mission in life . . . to make Disney follow their own written rules. :D
I'm a total rule follower too and it just irks me that you are able to do this at SOME QS restaurants (resort food courts) and not at others (BOG). I mean, if it's a rule that is allowed then it needs to be allowed everywhere!

I also believe the CM at Captain Cook was wrong. Since we used the substitutions a lot during our trip, I got to see what was "punched in" on the register so I was also able to gently direct them when the cashier didn't know how to do this (3 snacks for a qs meal credit) by telling them they needed to use the "DDP Combo" option on their register. And I do believe ALL the registers have that option since we used it at Maestro Mickey, which is a store and didn't use to have a qs meal option, but even they have the "DDP Combo" on their register now! :thumbsup2
I'm going to try to commit this to memory....DDP Combo.

I got two large caramel popcorn and a peanut caramel apple (3 snacks) as a quick service meal today at Karamel Kuche.
This sounds yummy!

I had the same experience at BOG on Monday. We got two entrees and two soups (instead of dessert) but were told that we had to get the drinks. It was no big deal, and the French Onion soup was the best I've ever had! It was way too much food! We couldn't finish half our sandwiches! My roast beef was excellent; DD's potato leek soup was just okay, and her sandwich, the ham & cheese type one (my spelling isn't great so let's just call it that) was too heavy on the ham.
I'm really hoping to substitute my drink for either a second cupcake or that french onion soup! Oh, I've already placed the online order for the two cupcakes because my mean dh wouldn't get one of them, lol! He wanted the orange/chocolate eclair. ew.....anyway, I digress......I actually plan to take the cupcake home for breakfast the next day....or not.

Best way to do this is to decide how many QS meals you want to convert to snacks, maybe just start with a couple, then have them do the conversion on your account at the front desk of your resort before heading out. The kiosks aren't set up to do the conversion, but this would allow you to do one snack credit at a time! The lady at the gift shop at Pop yesterday explained it to me.

My experience last week was mostly positive. Only place that didn't allow ANY substitutions was France, and I didn't push the issue. DD wanted a sandwich, drink and dessert anyway, but we did ask. They were kind of pissy about us asking, so we just got one meal and moved on.

All other places allowed us to substitute when we wanted, but Pop food court was especially helpful!
This is the first I've heard about this. Did she convert the QS credit for you personally? If this did indeed work, it would make using the QS credit as snack credits so much more feasible at F&W. I guess the trick would be getting a CM who actually knows her stuff......which isn't always consistent from place to place. This has been in force since May, right? There have been 3 months that have passed since the new policy. I still don't understand why everyone doesn't know about it! At my job in the hospital this would never fly!

Did this CM actually convert QS credits into snack credits on your account? Because this goes against everything I've been told and seen. If you could convert QS to snacks like this, it would effectively remove the restriction of all 3 snacks needing to be purchased in one transaction at one location.
YES!

The way it was explained to me yesterday by the cast member is that they convert them to snacks first, then ring them up (that's what she did for me). If you don't want to get 3 snacks at one time for one CS credit, they can convert them at the front desk. That would enable you to have more freedom (if you desire to do that - like for us we had so many left over!) to use one at a time.

This seems like it would be nice if you were using them at the kiosks at the F&G or F&W. Those booths are not set up to accept a CS meal.

It would mostly save Disney money. For instance, our lunch with two CS credits at BOG would have cost about $57 out of pocket. Six snacks usually don't come close to that.
This is so true! I mean we, as the consumer, definitely come out on the short end of the stick as far as monetary value is concerned. If it offers more flexibility to the customer then maybe more people would be likely to use the DDP for its convenience. @happymommy, where was the location of this cast member you spoke with?

The way it was explained to me yesterday by the cast member is that they convert them to snacks first, then ring them up (that's what she did for me). If you don't want to get 3 snacks at one time for one CS credit, they can convert them at the front desk. That would enable you to have more freedom (if you desire to do that - like for us we had so many left over!) to use one at a time.

This seems like it would be nice if you were using them at the kiosks at the F&G or F&W. Those booths are not set up to accept a CS meal.

It would mostly save Disney money. For instance, our lunch with two CS credits at BOG would have cost about $57 out of pocket. Six snacks usually don't come close to that.

I'm sorry but as the F & W Festival has not opened yet how do you know what the registers at the F & W Kiosks are or aren't capable of doing this year?

I think the CM had no idea what she was talking about. Yes, when they convert the QS into 3 snacks, the first have to do the conversion and then ring it up that way. I highly doubt there will be anyway to make the conversion and have it show up as more snacks on your account.

However, even if you could, you would be losing money if you paid for the plan. There just aren't that many snacks out there that will add up to the $18-19 value of a QS credit, so maybe Disney will start doing this just because they will be the ones to make money!!

As to BoG not allowing the drink, I think I have an answer to that one. Remember, the drink stations? You know as well as I do there would be many, many people to trade their drink allotment for a soup and still help themselves to the drink station. That's a losing proposition for BoG, so I bet they will never allow you to exchange the drink.

As to BoG not allowing the drink, I think I have an answer to that one. Remember, the drink stations? You know as well as I do there would be many, many people to trade their drink allotment for a soup and still help themselves to the drink station. That's a losing proposition for BoG, so I bet they will never allow you to exchange the drink.
That makes perfect sense, of course. People would cheat and find a way to get the drink anyway!

I think the CM had no idea what she was talking about. Yes, when they convert the QS into 3 snacks, the first have to do the conversion and then ring it up that way. I highly doubt there will be anyway to make the conversion and have it show up as more snacks on your account.

However, even if you could, you would be losing money if you paid for the plan. There just aren't that many snacks out there that will add up to the $18-19 value of a QS credit, so maybe Disney will start doing this just because they will be the ones to make money!!

If the CM was saying that converting a QS credit into 3 snack credits that could be used in separate transactions could be done in the gift shop, I would agree that she would almost have to be mistaken. But the CM said it has to be done at the front desk. I know some people have gone to the front desk of their resort and had their DDP credits altered/fixed when they'd been charged incorrectly, so it seems plausible. I'm skeptical but optimistic at the moment.

I understand that the drink stations at BOG are self-serve at least for now, so everyone in the restaurant has access to fountain drinks whether they paid for them or not; however, BOG is not requiring non-DDP customers to pay for drinks, so forcing those on the DDP to "pay" for a drink with their QS credit would be unfair in my opinion and definitely against Disney's new published policy that the non-alcoholic beverage "may be substituted for any item that is an eligible snack at the location".

I wouldn't get too optimistic. You've never been able to convert your credits anywhere except at the point of sale. Getting guest relations to fix a mistake that was already made is one thing. Converting unused credits is quite another.

Just wanted to say that I had no problem subbing our drunks for a cupcake and a french onion soup at BOG yesterday during lunch. I was a little concerned after reading that some people were having issues and had every intention of going to guest relations if they refused to follow their own policy, however they acted as if it was no problem. I went to a kiosk and wasn't sure how to order it so I asked one of the cms, although I approached it not as a question of can I, but just how, and he said just to order my 2 meals, but to not order the drinks and then to take it to him (the receipt it spits out.) I did this and he had another cm (Jeanette, who was very nice) radio to the kitchen that I subbed a soup and cupcake for my drinks and we had no problem.

Back from Disney and we were able to substitute at all places we tried:
Epcot:
At Electric Umbrella, Sunshine Seasons we substituted the desert for a drink
At Sommerfest we substituted the desert for a (lareg) Brezel
Magic Kingdom:
We substituted desert for drink at Pinnocchio and if I remeber correct, at Columbioa Harbour House
At Animal Kingdom Lodges Mara we substituted desert for drink, for a side of fries and also once for Gummi Candy.

At TS Rainforest Cafe I substituted Desert for a nice little salad.

I wouldn't get too optimistic. You've never been able to convert your credits anywhere except at the point of sale. Getting guest relations to fix a mistake that was already made is one thing. Converting unused credits is quite another.
On the Dibb, there was a post of a guest staying at OKW. On their last day all their credits disappeared which they didn't know until they were done eating. They had to go back to OKW to fix it all. (refund and add back the unused credits)

This is the first I've heard about this. Did she convert the QS credit for you personally? If this did indeed work, it would make using the QS credit as snack credits so much more feasible at F&W. I guess the trick would be getting a CM who actually knows her stuff......which isn't always consistent from place to place. This has been in force since May, right? There have been 3 months that have passed since the new policy. I still don't understand why everyone doesn't know about it! At my job in the hospital this would never fly!

She did indeed first do one transaction that converted 4 CS meals into 12 snack credits. Then, she rang up all the snacks and did the payment with my magic band. It took 2 transactions.

This has actually been a policy for a while now I believe.

The kiosks haven't been set up to do this, so she told me that the front desk can do the conversion if someone wants to (if, like me, they have leftover CS credits or know they won't use them all. My DD and I couldn't possibly eat two full meals a day plus a snack, which we used mostly for cold drinks, as it was hot & humid and the portions were quite large).

I understand that the drink stations at BOG are self-serve at least for now, so everyone in the restaurant has access to fountain drinks whether they paid for them or not; however, BOG is not requiring non-DDP customers to pay for drinks, so forcing those on the DDP to "pay" for a drink with their QS credit would be unfair in my opinion and definitely against Disney's new published policy that the non-alcoholic beverage "may be substituted for any item that is an eligible snack at the location".

I am surprised if the cups are self-service anyway at BOG. Most places (McDonalds, Burger King, Costco) with self-service drinks only give you the cup once you have paid for it. I guess the issue at BOG is that if you use the self-service ordering there is no CM there to hand you the cups you have paid for. But that would be best, for them to just hand cups to you once you have paid.

Just wanted to say that I had no problem subbing our drunks for a cupcake and a french onion soup at BOG yesterday during lunch. I was a little concerned after reading that some people were having issues and had every intention of going to guest relations if they refused to follow their own policy, however they acted as if it was no problem. I went to a kiosk and wasn't sure how to order it so I asked one of the cms, although I approached it not as a question of can I, but just how, and he said just to order my 2 meals, but to not order the drinks and then to take it to him (the receipt it spits out.) I did this and he had another cm (Jeanette, who was very nice) radio to the kitchen that I subbed a soup and cupcake for my drinks and we had no problem.
Well that's great news, if I'm reading this right. You were specifically able to sub out a drink for a soup on one of your orders? So on one order you had an entree, soup and cupcake?

She did indeed first do one transaction that converted 4 CS meals into 12 snack credits. Then, she rang up all the snacks and did the payment with my magic band. It took 2 transactions.

This has actually been a policy for a while now I believe.

The kiosks haven't been set up to do this, so she told me that the front desk can do the conversion if someone wants to (if, like me, they have leftover CS credits or know they won't use them all. My DD and I couldn't possibly eat two full meals a day plus a snack, which we used mostly for cold drinks, as it was hot & humid and the portions were quite large).
Please stop spreading misinformation about what can't be done at the F & W kiosks in regards to swapping CS credits. The Festival has not started yet so you have no way of knowing how their registers will be set up this year with this new policy.

Well that's great news, if I'm reading this right. You were specifically able to sub out a drink for a soup on one of your orders? So on one order you had an entree, soup and cupcake?

Right, one order I had a soup, entree, and cupcake, the other we had 2 cupcakes and an entree. After reading the reports here from just earlier in the week, I really thought I was going to have a hard time, but I just told the CM what I wanted to do, asked him how to do it, and it was no problem. When he took my receipt to the other CM for her to "radio" it back to the kitchen, she didn't act odd at all or ask any questions about it. It seemed like this was done somewhat frequently. The only thing I can think, is that I went at lunch when it's qs and the brochure says at qs locations, were the others possibly trying to do this at dinner when it's a ts? Either way if you're going for lunch, please know that it can be done and shouldn't be an issue.

Right, one order I had a soup, entree, and cupcake, the other we had 2 cupcakes and an entree. After reading the reports here from just earlier in the week, I really thought I was going to have a hard time, but I just told the CM what I wanted to do, asked him how to do it, and it was no problem. When he took my receipt to the other CM for her to "radio" it back to the kitchen, she didn't act odd at all or ask any questions about it. It seemed like this was done somewhat frequently. The only thing I can think, is that I went at lunch when it's qs and the brochure says at qs locations, were the others possibly trying to do this at dinner when it's a ts? Either way if you're going for lunch, please know that it can be done and shouldn't be an issue.
I went for lunch twice in the past two weeks, but I was unable to sub out my drink for my soup. It really depends on who you speak with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter