OFFICIAL 2014 WDW Marathon Countdown: WE DID IT! Congrats everyone!

Thanks you two.

Coach, yeah wouldn't it make more sense for the full cutoff to be at least twice the half cutoff? :confused3 So, anything under 5:30 would need proof. I don't think it would be unreasonable for them to ask that of people.

I would need to go through some older stuff, but I think the half cutoff was in the 2:30 range when they started asking for proof of time. At the time, both races were run concurrent so it made sense to have the same pace runner offer proof for the same corral. Once the races were split, the standard was raised as the half race grew.

I just reviewed the corral assignment times earlier today and think there could be some merit in raising the time standard to 5:15 or 5:30 in the near future. The corral immediately following the proof required corral was those claiming the fastest non-proofed time and the following corral was 5:30. I think the race could smooth the line here by moving the standard up to a 5:15. I think it a tough sell to push it up to 5:30 as a huge percentage of the 5:00 even estimates will fall to 5:15 if the proof standard is revised.

My thoughts are that a direct doubling of the full proof of time standard is probably not warranted but that some increase may be necessary to help clear out the log jam in the first corral immediately after the last corral requiring a proof.

Ahhh, that explains why the half time is what it is, since they were run concurrently before. Forgot about that. So they upped the half but left the full alone. Interesting. Must have been more of an issue (slower people starting too far up) for the half I guess.

So at this years full, corral E was the one with all the people who put down that lowest finish time with no proof, 5:00? (I was in corral D, with proof.)

Ahhh, that explains why the half time is what it is, since they were run concurrently before. Forgot about that. So they upped the half but left the full alone. Interesting. Must have been more of an issue (slower people starting too far up) for the half I guess.

So at this years full, corral E was the one with all the people who put down that lowest finish time with no proof, 5:00? (I was in corral D, with proof.)

Yeppers, it was full of folks estimating 5:00. The standard was changed in the half also due to the course. The first year or two, the course did not jump over onto World drive and head up in the north bound lanes, rather, the course took the clover leaf around and then headed up the south bound lanes - making the course a lollipop design... sharing the lanes on World with returning runners. The additional distance on a one lane set up really backed up the first 2-3 miles… mush worse that the 2013 half and PHM.

Got some news shoes, first time in like 4 years apparently. Maybe running will feel better now :-). Just started running seriously last year and I'm a catching on now. Of course now that I know shoe mileage and the fact that I'm not a "runners build" according to the guy at the running store, I'll be going through a lot of shoes training for Mickey in 2014. The guys was cool and funny with his comment, it sounds mean in text but he was cool. And frankly at 6' 200lbs I'm slightly large to be a runner. Have the Phillies 5k next Saturday and the Broad Street run (10 miles) 5/5, will get those news shoes some use.

I remember doing the Disney half in 2012 and it was dark when we started down that main road (couldn't tell you which main road it was though)..I was in the caboose of corals. At anyrate on the other side of this road were the return runners...and I could see plenty of non runner body types kicking *** on the pavement.
I have learnt that you cannot judge a runner by their body shape. I have seen runner bodies that are just a nod above walking...and heavy set persons who are up there with the best. So I stopped trying to guess who was fast and who wasn't because I was always wrong.

Count me in for 2014. I'll be going Goofy again.

Terri

So I recently ran a 2:25 half. Is that good enough to be considered less than a 5:00 full or do they use some sort of conversion table...because in reality there's no way I could just double my time in the full!! But if they'll take it...I'll submit it!

So I recently ran a 2:25 half. Is that good enough to be considered less than a 5:00 full or do they use some sort of conversion table...because in reality there's no way I could just double my time in the full!! But if they'll take it...I'll submit it!

a 2:25 half roughly tranlates to a 5:05 full. I would estimate maybe a 5-8% decrease in time so maybe a 4:40-4:50.... That would be in a conservative tolerance range.

longhorns2 said:
So last night everyone was a twitter about this info:

http://margaritasmilesandmouse.blogspot.com/2013/03/officially-dopey-rundisney-rumored-10k.html

Dopey going to be OFFICIAL with adding a 10K into the mix? What do yall think?

I think this is a genius idea for Disney! What does adding a 10k to race weekend cost them? Everything for the race is already set up for that weekend. I think this is a great way for shorter distance runners to participate in Marathon Weekend events. People will pay for the 10k and The Dopey.

I think this is a genius idea for Disney! What does adding a 10k to race weekend cost them? Everything for the race is already set up for that weekend. I think this is a great way for shorter distance runners to participate in Marathon Weekend events. People will pay for the 10k and The Dopey.

I will be one of the suckers paying for the Dopey! I wonder what the 10K route will be?

Yeppers, it was full of folks estimating 5:00. The standard was changed in the half also due to the course. The first year or two, the course did not jump over onto World drive and head up in the north bound lanes, rather, the course took the clover leaf around and then headed up the south bound lanes - making the course a lollipop design... sharing the lanes on World with returning runners. The additional distance on a one lane set up really backed up the first 2-3 miles… mush worse that the 2013 half and PHM.

Interesting...thanks Coach!

For this years full I submitted a half time of 2:28:50. And they put me in corral D. If you submit your 2:25 and tell them your anticipated finish time is something under 5hrs (but above, maybe, 4:45), they will take it. Or have in the past.. :)

Here's a pace calculator: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

160 for a 10KM running race and 500 for all the races. Those prices are exactly that= dopey. I run marathons in NYS for 80 bucks and 10kms races for 25 bucks. I guess looking at the prices the marathon is really the best deal Disney has going.
That dopey will be a race for those with lots of cash laying around IMHO.
These prices are getting up there with race Ironman triathlons.
But agree, people will spend and sign up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter