October 2015 Car Rental Watch

Just booked with Alamo-- 2 full weeks arriving 9/29 and dropping off again 10/13. Our rate was 412 for a minivan- not sure if that's a good rate for 2 weeks or not, but for now we'll keep it....

ACK! I really need the rates to go down. I didn't full appreciate the rate I had until I went to make a change. :(

I had originally booked through Costco Travel - Tampa airport, Alamo, Premium car, 10/27 - 11/6 - for $286.36. I'm coming in 1 day earlier now and that same car, 1 day earlier, is now $536.16. :faint:

I used the code posted above by another member on page 7. It doesn't say its for anything specific. This is what was posted:

I used the following
Alamo
contract ID 7016427
coupon code AD2338fdf

Which code are you planning on using?

If its a Costco code, for example, then you should have a Costco membership (and be able to produce your card if asked for it at the time of pick up).

If its a Visa code, then you need to have a Visa card in which to pay for your rental. If its an Entertainment book coupon or code, then you should have that with you when you travel too.

Some codes are open to the general public too :) .

Wahoo for the removal of the Florida fee, now down around 10 dollars. So happy I reserved about 3 weeks ago, and now it's more than double what I have reserved. Ahhh, the waiting game.

Does Alamo still not have a "Standard" car size? So if you book Standard you get bumped to Full size? Does that still work for Orlando?

When booking with Costco, is it better to book directly on the rental site, or through Costco's travel site?

Does Alamo still not have a "Standard" car size? So if you book Standard you get bumped to Full size? Does that still work for Orlando?

It use to, not sure if it still does. I booked standard, but it's just the two of us, so no big deal. We leave in 3 weeks.

I used the code posted above by another member on page 7. It doesn't say its for anything specific. This is what was posted:

I used the following
Alamo
contract ID 7016427
coupon code AD2338fdf

That's the Vegas Brazil code. You can find more information about that code in this thread:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/does-anyone-know-about-vegas-brazil-llc-alamo-discount.3353157/

I believe the coupon is a Visa coupon, which means you would need to use your Visa card to pay for the rental:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/about-ad2338fdf-code.3087752/

When booking with Costco, is it better to book directly on the rental site, or through Costco's travel site?

You just have to try both and see which one comes out lower. For me, booking on the Costco site has always resulted in the lower price.

My 8 day standard (full) size with Alamo has dropped from $161 to $144 with the unannounced removal of the Florida Fee that others have reported here on the boards. Not sure if its a system glitch or not....I have printed the revised reservation confirmation so that I have it on hand...but that $16 charge has most definitely disappeared, at least for now.

I will be very, VERY happy if $144 turns out to be our real price!

Where did you find that price for a car rental? I can't find anything lower than $230 and I've been checking for a few weeks now.

My 8 day standard (full) size with Alamo has dropped from $161 to $144 with the unannounced removal of the Florida Fee that others have reported here on the boards. Not sure if its a system glitch or not....I have printed the revised reservation confirmation so that I have it on hand...but that $16 charge has most definitely disappeared, at least for now.

Where did you find that price for a car rental? I can't find anything lower than $230 and I've been checking for a few weeks now.

carrentalsavers.com . I booked back in June, when there was a week long, steady decline in rates. Then they shot back up and have stayed there. Current price for my dates is $228.

Mine is still more than $50 higher than the $155 I got for 10/13 - 10/20 :(

Mine is still more than $50 higher than the $155 I got for 10/13 - 10/20 :(

Don't look for a new reservation....just check your existing reservation here:

https://www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rental/reservation/startReservation.html

Under "Find a Reservation" (right hand side of the screen), put in your current reservation number with your first and last name in the proper fields. Then see if your rate is less than what you originally had booked. It should be lowered by the amount of the Florida surcharge ($2/day, so for me, it was $16).

Don't look for a new reservation....just check your existing reservation here:

https://www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rental/reservation/startReservation.html

Under "Find a Reservation" (right hand side of the screen), put in your current reservation number with your first and last name in the proper fields. Then see if your rate is less than what you originally had booked. It should be lowered by the amount of the Florida surcharge ($2/day, so for me, it was $16).

Ooooh! It is! $138.91! :cool1: I hope it stays that way!

So what's to prevent that fee from re-appearing?
Do not know. Was surprised they lowered the price of my reservation without any notification. I would have never even thought to look again, as I printed out my reservation a few weeks ago. Printed out this new rate, and will see if they honor it when I pick up the car.

Do not know. Was surprised they lowered the price of my reservation without any notification. I would have never even thought to look again, as I printed out my reservation a few weeks ago. Printed out this new rate, and will see if they honor it when I pick up the car.

So what's to prevent that fee from re-appearing?

I would say it could very well pop back up on the reservation. I can't seem to find anything indicating that the Florida Surcharge has been abolished, and its still showing up on rentals with other companies (I ran a test reservation with Dollar for comparison, and it was there).

Like Lynne, I have printed the revised reservation and will present it at check-in (assuming I don't get anything lower between now and our travel date....that's always the hope, especially if I can get a great rate in Canadian dollars). If they honour it, great. If they don't, well....my rate is still very good, even with the surcharge. Without the Florida surcharge, it just goes from good to awesome!

Hey, me too! My 5 day minivan rental dropped from $222 to $211... only $11 savings but I'll take it! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter