October 11, 2014 7-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise on Disney Magic (San Juan)

I joined the FB group because I'm on FB far more than the DIS. I "lurk" just as much there as I do here. I guess I really prefer it now because I don't feel like anyone is counting how many times I post there. I like that FB is laid out in a way that I can skim through and get important information about ports. People can jump in at anytime and not have to read 30+ pages to understand who is who. All in all, I don't understand the big deal who posts where. It's just a cruise. :confused3

we ended up with 14.5 inches of snow on Sunday during our late "winter" storm; it's rare for this area to get that much snow at one time. It's already starting to melt off, which is good since we had such a bad drought last year - the Missouri and the Mississippi are starting to look like real rivers again.

I prefer FB for the reasons that Jusacuz posted - easier to navigate and find information and not nearly the censorship you find around the DIS. But to each his / her own ... we don't typically participate in many group meets anyway. I just like chatting and sharing ideas and info with fellow cruisers.

I've been following both places, only because the FB page is there. I agree that ideally it would be great to keep all discussion in one place, but there are advantages and disadvantages to both. FB is easier for those on the go. I can follow it on my phone, my tablet or whatever. The DIS app is okay, but has its limits. I find I don't spend as much time on the DIS as I used to, mostly I come here for specific information and I follow some TV fan threads, but sometimes the DIS is frustrating because it isn't always the welcoming place it used to be. It's become much more judgmental and it's a pity, since there are people discovering Disney and the DIS for the first time and don't know there are 'taboo' subjects or things that many of us take for granted. But then FB has its issues too. It constantly changes and people worry about privacy issues. SO, I guess there is no simple solution. The best we can do is ask that those of us who follow both, make sure that any pertinent information is shared in both places. And please, when we do meet, let's all be welcoming to everyone.

I do want to add one caveat to that. This is obviously going to be a very big group and it will be natural for people to gravitate to others with like interests, so it will be difficult for everybody to reach out to everybody else. Either way, this is shaping up to be one heck of a group and should be loads of fun. I can't believe it's still a year and a half away.

it now because I don't feel like anyone is counting how many times I post there.
I DO APLOGIZE IF MY LOOK WHO"S TALKING COUNTS UPSET YOU or ANYONE ELSE in ANY WAY, I have done this with all of my past cruise threads and it was always a way to get others involved, or to laugh about who was being chatty, if it really bothers you, I will try to remember to take your name out when I do it from now on.

I like that FB is laid out in a way that I can skim through and get important information about ports. People can jump in at anytime and not have to read 30+ pages to understand who is who. All in all, I don't understand the big deal who posts where. It's just a cruise. :confused3

For some of us as you can see by our post count the DIS is or has been more than "just a place to talk about a cruise" You hear some people talk about how they feel when they get back on board the MAGIC, like home, this is how some of us feel or have felt about the DIS.

DIS is frustrating because it isn't always the welcoming place it used to be. It's become much more judgmental and it's a pity, since there are people discovering Disney and the DIS for the first time and don't know there are 'taboo' subjects or things that many of us take for granted. But then FB has its issues too. It constantly changes and people worry about privacy issues. SO, I guess there is no simple solution. The best we can do is ask that those of us who follow both, make sure that any pertinent information is shared in both places. And please, when we do meet, let's all be welcoming to everyone.

I do agree with how some things or people have become on here and that we all need to place nice.:)

dizzi said:
For some of us as you can see by our post count the DIS is or has been more than "just a place to talk about a cruise" You hear some people talk about how they feel when they get back on board the MAGIC, like home, this is how some of us feel or have felt about the DIS.

The magic is totally my home!!! Out of 10 DCL cruises 4 are on magic (2 on each other ship) and I just love her!

I like chatting on the threads, too...but not so much the DIS in general. I find that there are a handful of people who have to post an answer on every. Single. Thread. Some of them haven't cruised DCL in years, others not at all. Some will answer questions about specific ships or ports that they have never seen. It's beyond annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I like chatting on the threads, too...but not so much the DIS in general. I find that there are a handful of people who have to post an answer on every. Single. Thread. Some of them haven't cruised DCL in years, others not at all. Some will answer questions about specific ships or ports that they have never seen. It's beyond annoying.

Also, I am not into censorship. I once had a completely innocuous word "bleeped out" - yet there is a super active poster with a disgusting and offensive name. It's a little hypocritical, IMO.

HA HA

Alexis you are right about that.

I guess the DIS really is just like family!!! Lots of things we don't like and just put up with to get to the good!!!:thumbsup2

If it were not for the DIS would have never met you or that beautiful DD of yours!!!!!:flower3:

I find that there are a handful of people who have to post an answer on every. Single. Thread. Some of them haven't cruised DCL in years, others not at all. Some will answer questions about specific ships or ports that they have never seen. It's beyond annoying.

I agree about this. Another pet peeve is answering incorrectly. If you don't know, don't answer. That's what I do: I don't answer if I don't know. Period.

HA HA

Alexis you are right about that.

I guess the DIS really is just like family!!! Lots of things we don't like and just put up with to get to the good!!!:thumbsup2

If it were not for the DIS would have never met you or that beautiful DD of yours!!!!!:flower3:

Awwwwwwww....

The W's: Sailing Gluten Goblin-Free Since 2011

rotfl:rotfl2:

Cant wait for this cruise.........
Or any others we take before then

I agree about this. Another pet peeve is answering incorrectly. If you don't know, don't answer. That's what I do: I don't answer if I don't know. Period.

OMG - me too!! Especially when they are giving first-timers incorrect information. I do a lot of mental face-palming when reading some of the threads. But it could be worse...I accidentally stumbled upon the Community Board the other day, and...WOW. I can't believe some of the crazy ish that gets posted over there.

threewilmingtonwalls said:
Not Lynn or I...we are Goblin-Free. The rest is a story we'll have to tell you at the Bar Babes meet, after a few cocktails (or Hot Damn shots)!

It's a date!!!

I just realized this cruise will mean we finally sailed on all 4 ships.:thumbsup2

3 on the Wonder
2 on the Dream
1 coming up on the Fantasy
1 coming up on the Magic :woohoo:

Sandy brought up a few good points. As you see, I have a pretty active post count, accumulated over 10+ years of posting here. But depending the thread, I choose to either post a little or lot, depending on the info being shared.

Since we are a year and a half away from cruising, you'll probably not see me posting here (or on the Facebook group) all that frequently. Although I do chime in from time to time.

My biggest claim to fame on the Facebook group was alphabetizing the document listing people's names to their DIS screen names. Very OCD of me, but it believe it helped. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter