Not Feeling Confident About HoJo

I'm going to add my two cents. We have always stayed in our trailer or tent, so we had never walked down Harbor to a hotel until about four years ago. Is it a little jarring to have somebody shaking a jar of coins at you while you are walking? I'll be honest. A little bit when you've just been at the world's happiest place. But for us, who were there with our nephews, it was a great life lesson about how lucky we are to get to go to Disneyland and that we aren't homeless. And we were able to give him some money to make his life a little bit easier. Beyond that, we have stayed at the Carousel Inn and the Ramada and I didn't find either hotel fabulous, but I didn't find them bad, either.

I forgot to mention that I have been to WDW & stayed onsite & I have to admit that the customer service is Absolutely hands down the best I have ever experienced & will only stay onsite when going to WDW again. However, the cost of hotel in FL vs. CA is extremely different (way more expensive in CA). Also, in WDW transportation is included with your hotel stay & WDW resort is so much larger it just makes sense to stay onsite. Its not like that at DL. Off site hotels are in walking distance & cost less so, I think that's why people stay off site more than onsite.

I always say, if you have the money, stay wherever you want. Clearly DLH is better. Grand Californian even better still.

That said, I don't have that kind of expendable money. I'd rather save it toward another trip. The hotels directly outside the park, Tropicana, Best Western, Park Vue - those are TOTALLY fine for us. We, personally, always stay at Tropicana. Nice big, warm pool and hot tub. Big rooms. Nice staff. Close as possible to the parks. Quiet. Its everything we need.

(For perspective, at WDW, we stay at Fort Wilderness in the cabins - again, vicinity to parks, price, comfort.)

It's true that staying on-site at DLR does not mean as much as staying on-site at WDW. There just aren't as many perks, and yet the price difference between on and off-site at DLR is larger. Although the Disney bubble is mentioned, I have to agree with the poster who said that the walk between DLH and the parks doesn't really feel like a Disney bubble to me anyway. You are walking through Downtown Disney, which includes several chain restaurants and stores and really just feels like another outdoor mall to me. I have never had any issues with the walk down Harbor and haven't found it ugly or scary at all. I haven't really come across homeless or beggars. In fact I enjoy it, especially in the mornings when you see so many leaving their hotels so excited to start the day at DLR! It's fun to know that you are all going to the same place, in the same giant crosswalk. I'm smiling just thinking about it. :)

Sure the on-site hotels will have more amenities, but is it worth the price difference? Not to me. I don't really use those "extras" like bell service or room service, so the only real benefit to me would be the enhanced theming and the early entrance mornings. Since I will be around Disney theming all day long, I really don't find that I'm missing it when I go to the hotel to sleep at night. These extra benefits are definitely not worth hundreds of extra dollars to me. DLR and its hotels just does not have that resort vacation destination feel that WDW has - it's a different kind of vacation. It is much more focused on the parks themselves, rather than the full "experience."

I have heard good things about HoJo, especially the water area. Staying on Harbor is really not so bad as you have stated. I would keep your HoJo reservation and use that extra money to make your time in the parks even more awesome, because really that's what you are there for. :)

I'd like to put my vote in too for the new marriott going in. It will be a bit closer than HOJO and brand new and all suites and a mini waterpark./

I'm definitely looking into this when they start taking reservations. It will be interesting to see what the price range is.

I'd like to put my vote in too for the new marriott going in. It will be a bit closer than HOJO and brand new and all suites and a mini waterpark. I think it might be a great compromise between HOJO and two rooms at DLH. I am not sure when you are traveling, they aren't taking reservations yet, but will soon. Check it out!
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/snadt-courtyard-anaheim-downtown/

This looks like a very nice hotel. It wasn't clear if the breakfast was included or at an additional cost. I imagine this hotel will be a lot more expensive than other hotels in the area, but in fairness it will be a lot nicer too so guests will be paying for location and amenities where as most of the hotels along harbor are just location.

Thank you everyone for all the helpful replies!! I haven't been able to come back to the thread because I can't get my DISboards app to work on my phone anymore. I read them all though, and they helped a lot. We are traveling in June, so it sounds like the Courtyard won't be open yet. We are going to stick with HoJo. Going into it more informed regarding what to expect is helpful.

Thank you everyone for all the helpful replies!! I haven't been able to come back to the thread because I can't get my DISboards app to work on my phone anymore. I read them all though, and they helped a lot. We are traveling in June, so it sounds like the Courtyard won't be open yet. We are going to stick with HoJo. Going into it more informed regarding what to expect is helpful.

Doesn't the mobile version work? It's not an app.

Add me to the list who has stayed at the Hojo numerous times and loved it. I have also recently stayed onsite a couple of times for RunDisney events. Though staying onsite does have its perks, I don't really get the disney bubble thing. When I walk through downtown disney from the onsite hotels I dont feel like I'm in any sort of disney bubble. I feel like Im in the real world, a normal shopping area with music and lots of people. But that aside I do love staying onsite when we can afford it. I love having room service available to me, the pools are great, bell service and valet service are great. But I don't think it is necessary. My kids love the kiddie pool at Hojo. My mom, DH and I all love how comfortable their beds are. Some rooms are more updated than others but all have been perfectly clean for us. We love the keurig coffee makers. Staff are just as friendly as they are onsite IMO. Plus parking is free and we pay less than half the price of staying onsite. We've never been disappointed with our choice to stay at Hojo.

Like the PP above me stated, we usually crossed Harbor at the light right in front of Hojo and walked up the DLR side of the street. This way we avoided all the driveways from the other hotels and stuff.
I agree with all of the above.
I love Disneyland. I love our trips to DL no matter whether we stay at the DLH (seldom) or BWPPI (often).
When we stay at DLH or GCH, our focus is more on enjoying the hotel pools [than on DL].
When we stay at a Harbor Blvd motel, our focus is more on spending maximum time in the Parks.
The "Disney bubble" idea does not hold water at Disneyland. It does, however, reek of grandiosity. I'm pretty sure people can still have a great trip even if they have to mix with the rabble on Harbor Blvd. for all of 5 minutes on their way into and out of the Happiest Place On Earth.

Go ahead and delete the DISboards app, since it's no longer valid. You can open up Disboards on your mobile webpage, then pin it to your screen. It should still be mobile friendly.

I think going to the HoJo is a good move. I agree with everyone else here that the hotel is pretty decent, and the walk as never bothered me going to the parks. It is a short walk, and once I'm in the park I forget the walk because there is a day of fun ahead of me at the parks.

We have been to Disneyland four times in the past few years, and we have always stayed at the hojo. We really like it. We can't afford to stay at the resort, and never have (it is a dream though) so our standards may be pretty low, but we do have standards for cleanliness and quality and for a moderate hotel close to the parks we really feel like hojo always fits the bill. We dont feel outside of the Disney bubble, as you can see the Matterhorn and the fireworks right from your room and everyone is so pleasant and happy all the time.

So this will be the first year I stay onsite. I've stayed both at the Ramada Maingate (10 minute walk) as well as hotels you have to drive to/from.

After doing the numbers I was shocked to see we would pay almost exactly the same for 3 nights at Paradise Pier as we would have at the Ramada by purchasing a hotel/ticket package. If there was a cost difference it was below $200 - well worth staying onsite for.

I liked the Ramada, it worked in a pinch and the walk wasn't bad at all (I believe HOJO is even closer), but if you haven't purchased your tickets yet I'd look at the pricing of how much you'll pay buying the tickets and hotel separately or paying for the package. It may vary by time you go, but it's what convinced me to stay onsite this trip!

I know a lot of people on here like HOJO, but we stayed there last year (only for 1 night, so I am basing my opinion on that 1 stay), and I wasn't impressed. It was ok, but for the price, I'd rather stay at the Embassy Suites or Candy Cane Inn. I thought the walk was long, but I have bad feet and at the end of the day, I was wishing I had paid for a taxi. The water play area was great though! Our 2 boys loved it (4 and 7 at the time), but the room we had was by the elevator and we didn't sleep a wink. We had a 2 bedroom kid's suite, and even though the boys loved having bunk beds, they told me it was uncomfortable. It was nice having 2 separate rooms - one for DH and me and one for the kids, but we will be staying at Embassy Suites next time. Yes, the ES is farther so you have to take the shuttle, but for me, it was worth it - plus the ES is cheaper than HOJO and includes a free really nice breakfast and 2 room when the kids sleep on the pullout couch. Now, the pool is nothing like the HOJO, but hey, it is wet and the kids will still enjoy it. We have stayed at both the GC and DLH, and if our budget can take it, I would rather stay there every time, but for our next trip we are also doing Legoland, so our hotel splurge will be at cool Legoland Hotel, and then Embassy Suites for the Disney leg of our vacation.

Hojo used to have unbeatable pricing a few years ago. It was our DL hotel for years. We were annual passholders and made frequent trips. We often booked a room for $50 a night.

Their popularity grew and the economy improved and it was hard to find a room there for even triple the price.

The long walk was worth it for the savings, but when their rates matched closer hotels we switched. We now stay at Best Western or Desert Inn and like the quick walk to the Espanade.

We have stayed on site twice (GCH a few yrs ago and PP 3 weeks ago). We have also stayed offsite twice (Fairfield and the Hojo). Of the 2 off site hotels we liked the Fairfield a tad more for no other reason then the slightly shorter walk. Both have nice clean rooms, friendly and helpful staff and good location. The "Disney" bubble IMO is really not that big of a deal as you can see the Park.

Now having said that we will always prefer to stay onsite, early access is a big perk (somewhat dependent on time of year/crowd levels) and I believe that no matter how good of service one gets other places the Disney hotels really go all out to make sure you have a great time.

My way of looking at it is simple, if you can make the price work for your family stay onsite, you will have a GREAT time. If you have budget constraints stay offsite, you will have a GREAT time.

Note the most important point... you will have a GREAT time.

we just got back from 2 nights at HoJo's - our 3rd stay since last summer. We had a kid suite and the first night we were on the top (7th) floor. All the kids suites face highway 5. Top floor rooms are gorgeous - high ceilings an sky lights. There are 2 negatives though which had us move off the top floor the next day, (1) no way to darken the room (we ran the 5K at 5am and needed to nap in the afternoon in order for DD5 to make the 9pm WoC show), (2) no "double glassed in balcony" like the other floors so there was major highway 5 noise. HoJo's was great about moving us the next day. Their staff really goes out of their way to always help and they are prompt too at resolving any issues which come up. We actually had a really bad stay our first time at GCH with so many issues in so many ways - and we could not get them resolved during the trip but after I wrote their general manager a letter we were invited back for free which was nice but honestly the staff are better at HoJo's (but yes, if I could stay anywhere and money was no object I'd always pick GCH due to location location location).

At any rate, we are more convinced HoJo's is our go to place given we get a 2 room suite for 1/2 the price of a small room at GCH + the amazing HoJo staff although I'm sure someday we will splurge and go on site again -probably when we go back to visiting every 1-2 years instead of this AP year where we are going 4 times.

But... if highway noise or light (especially in summer if you have young kids who are going to bed before the sun sets) is an issue for you, request a room "not on the 7th floor" - I asked the staff to put that into our existing reservation for our next visit his summer.

Love, love love HoJo's!

At WDW, we always stay on-site, at a value resort. At DLR, we never stay on-site. It's ridiculously expensive, and there are plenty of nice hotels on Harbor Blvd, within walking distance of DLR. The HoJo is just one of them.

At DLR, the "Disney bubble" extends to a big chunk of Harbor. And if you save money on your hotel, that can help pay for your next trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter