• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not Feeling Confident About HoJo

tripletsmama

DIS Veteran
This will be our second trip to Disneyland. We have been to WDW many, many times. We are DVC members, so the first trip we stayed at the Grand Californian Villas. This trip is more of a side trip during a California trip, so we are only staying 3 nights, and we don't have any DVC points to use. I booked the HoJo because I think my kids will like the pool area and the walk to the parks looks nice and short. However, the more I think about it, I am considering switching to 2 rooms at the Disneyland Hotel. Of course this is a significant price jump. I just don't know about staying outside of the Disney bubble. I don't like the idea of going off property to an ugly strip of hotels and chain restaurants. It just seems like it will ruin the magic. Also, in looking at pictures of the rooms online, they look pretty outdated and ugly. I have read several threads where people say staying on property isn't as important at Disneyland. Is this true? Is the Howard Johnson a nice resort, and is it kept up well, family friendly, etc? Any input and advice would be appreciated!

Honestly, I only this year started staying offsite. Up until then, we had always stayed at DLH or PPH. While those hotels are in a totally different category, I think offsite hotels aren't that bad. Granted we don't spend much time in the room and our trips are usually only 2-3 days maximum. We are staying at HoJo in August. I haven't stayed there yet, but we did Fairfield in February and I stopped over at HoJo to check it out. It's nice, the grounds are clean, and you're actually closer to the gates than staying at DLH. From Fairfield, it was about 5-6 minutes for us, so I'm guessing about 7-9 minutes for HoJo. You can see the fireworks from the hotel. Of course it isn't a resort hotel, so it's not going to have that "Disney magic." But it's a place to sleep, it's clean, and it has a water area if you're going to be there in the summer as we will be. Don't go in expecting GCH or any other Disney resort. IF you go in with an open mind, I think you'll be fine.

When are you planning on going? If it's this fall then you might want to consider the new Courtyard that is opening up. The rooms are suppose to be like HoJo and it'll be brand new! We've only stayed on site once many years ago for my 30th and I just can't justify the cost increase vs staying at a hotel on Harbor Blvd. Sometimes we walk back at night instead of using ART and it's always a fun time to talk about the highlights of our day or on the way to DL talk about what we want to do and eat that day. I've never felt like staying offsite is less magical, we are so excited for each trip to Disney that we feel like we are at Disney even if it's a half mile away.

Last edited:

Nothing compares to being totally submerged in the magic, but the rumors are true: it's not that critical at DLR. What are your goals for the trip? How many are in your party and the ages of the kids? We have young kids so we tend to spend more time than most families at our lodging so it's a bigger factor in our trip. Others spend so much time in the park that it really doesn't matter.

The DLH is a much better quality place than HoJo - this is partly what you are paying more for. We stayed at both on our first trip and completely loved the DLH, and while we were happy with HoJo it certainly wasn't the same. Once again it is more to do with the quality of the DLH, on site restaurants, room service, the furnishings and fittings of the room, the light up headboard...

If you can afford the DLH and it won't impact on other parts of your vacation, then it is a wonderful place to stay. Don't forget you also get early entry each day of your stay which for me adds quite a bit of value. As for the walk back, even though distance is similar from both hotels, it felt shorter going through DTD than it did walking up Harbor. Plus it is a nicer walk.

The new Courtyard mentioned above is also worth checking out and might be a good copmpromise. A better hotel than HoJo but not quite as pricey as DLH.

The rooms are basic, even the more upgraded rooms. BUT...the kids pool area was a dream for our daughter on afternoon breaks from the park. And they have a hot tub in the kids area so parents can relax if they want while children play. The customer service has always been amazing and we have had any issues resolved quickly. No, this will not be anywhere close to what you would get from the DL Hotel in regards to immersion. But there are no parking or resort fees, plus the savings between the two properties can free up funds for more amusing Disney activities. We also liked that there was a Kuerig coffee machine in room. We stocked snack and cold breakfast foods in the room or we could grab a good breakfast at the Mimi's on the way if we wanted. The least expensive rooms have a mini fridge and the upper level rooms include a microwave and fridge. There is an ART stop right at the hotel so if you do not want to walk or cannot walk, then you can catch the ART. (really nice to go back and forth during the day). But if someone chooses to walk its really not bad. Plus, you can cross the street right by the hotel and be on the Disneyland side of the street the whole way. We look for the super cheap rates they sometimes throw out through email, as we find their standard rates a bit pricey for overnight stays for a weekend visit. Each time we stay, our daughter will ask why we don't always do so (she would play in the water park even when cold or raining if allowed..lol). It will be interesting to see how the new water park hotel opening close by will be. But if not, the HOJO's is not a bad way to go. We considered it for our July visit, but opted for the Best Western by the main crosswalk to the esplanade, since we wanted to experience being closer to the parks than all hotels including the DL and PP Pier. I think the only one that beats it and truly only for DCA is The Grand. :)

If you want to stay really close, there are several hotels directly across the park entrance. They tend to be older hotel/motels that have been renovated but still feel dated. HOJOs is nicer than most of the hotels right across the park, but the walk is a bit further than others. The water play area is great. There are 2 water slides, a wading pool, and several drip features. My DD loved it when we stayed there. The rooms were nicer than most other hotels we've stayed at along Harbor. It mostly comes down to money. If you're willing to pay for it, the hotel does offer EMH and the perk of being "on property." But being "on property" is a bit overrated at Disneyland as many hotels are closer than Disneyland hotels. Essentially you need to decide if the ~$200 a night saved is more important to you (spend on other trip fun) than a fancier hotel that you will likely just sleep in.

I just don't know about staying outside of the Disney bubble. I don't like the idea of going off property to an ugly strip of hotels and chain restaurants. It just seems like it will ruin the magic. Also, in looking at pictures of the rooms online, they look pretty outdated and ugly. I have read several threads where people say staying on property isn't as important at Disneyland. Is this true? Is the Howard Johnson a nice resort, and is it kept up well, family friendly, etc? Any input and advice would be appreciated!
HoJo is not a resort, it is a hotel. You will walk by chain restaurants and motels to get to it. You have have to adjust your expectations of you're hoping otherwise. Even the Disney hotels aren't really resorts when you look at them individually, they're upscale hotels, and you pay a premium for the experience. Even to get to DLH you walk by chain restaurants. If it's going to bother you to walk by McDonald's and Mimi's instead of Robek's and Wetzels then you have to decide how much the scenery while walking matters and what that's worth price wise. This answer will be different for everyone, as many people love HoJo or some other place that others look down at. It's a common topic, yet both onsite and off site rooms seem to have no problem filling year after year.

We have stayed at Hojo numerous times and always loved it. Quiet, great customer service, large rooms. It's been a couple years but after our last trip we decided we were only staying on site from now on, even if it means a longer span between trips. I don't like the scenery of the walk down Harbor. That's what makes me want to stay on site. Not the distance or the hotel.

We have stayed at both and love both. The DLH is wonderful and magical but for the price, you really can't beat Hojo. I agree that that the customer service is great and the rooms are pretty nice. The beds are amazing! My kids LOVE Hojo and are so excited we get to stay there again on our upcoming trip.

I love the HoJo and before I moved here it was the only place I'd stay. I attempted another place and had a HORRIBLE experience where I ended up walking to the HoJo after demanding a refund on my 8 day stay. I got to the HoJo in tears and explained what had happened at the bad hotel (it was ParkVue :P ) and not only did they get me my 8 days right there on the spot, they gave me the price that it would have been had I booked with my annual pass discount months before :D I paid less and had a way better experience. It's the only hotel I recommend over there and now whenever my family comes to visit me, I still only book their stays at that hotel.

We used to only stay at DLR hotels, either DLH or GC. We go so frequently it was getting expensive, and we tried out some area hotels. We love the Hojo. We've been staying there for a few years. The waterpark is so much fun for the little ones and I love that I can relax and while my youngest plays because there isn't a pool right there. The downside - You don't get the DL ambiance that you do at DLR hotel, and the DL pool area is pretty awesome. But in the end we weren't spending a lot of time at the hotel, or in the pool area, and the savings was worth it to us.

We usually go to DLR every two years. We have never stayed onsite so know nothing about the ambiance. This time, my husband said we could go ahead and stay onsite if I wanted to. But I still chose to stay at the HoJo, where we always stay. The hotel is very nice, the grounds are lovely, and the staff are wonderful. We have never been disappointed. I find nothing wrong with the walk down Harbor. It is not dirty, ugly, or frightening and the walk goes quickly because we talk about our day. I know some say the HoJo rooms are outdated but I am not sure what that means. Our rooms have always been clean and well maintained and every request we made of the hotel has been taken care of.

We just went on our first trip to DL a couple months ago.

We stayed at Motel 6 Maingate our first night in Anaheim. It suited us perfectly that first night. We spent the remaining nights at DLH. Upon leaving DL, DH and I agreed that if we can't afford to stay on-site, we can't afford a trip to DL. That's just how we feel.

I have heard good and great things about the hotels/motels on Harbor and HoJo is always highly recommended.

We've stayed at HoJo twice - both times in the kids suite layout. The rooms were decorated with Pirates-themed prints taken from key scenes on the ride. The hotel was well maintained, the staff was friendly and the waterpark was perfect for our son to play around in. We do have a room booked there for a quick trip in December, but we may end up across the parking lot at the new Courtyard...mostly because we will have a park-less day and the larger waterpark area would take care of our afternoon.

We usually crossed Harbor at the light right in front of HoJo and walked up the DLR side of the street. There was usually less foot traffic doing so, and it seemed to take a bit less time because we didn't have to wait at the major light at the pedestrian cross walk.

Have a great trip!

Add me to the list who has stayed at the Hojo numerous times and loved it. I have also recently stayed onsite a couple of times for RunDisney events. Though staying onsite does have its perks, I don't really get the disney bubble thing. When I walk through downtown disney from the onsite hotels I dont feel like I'm in any sort of disney bubble. I feel like Im in the real world, a normal shopping area with music and lots of people. But that aside I do love staying onsite when we can afford it. I love having room service available to me, the pools are great, bell service and valet service are great. But I don't think it is necessary. My kids love the kiddie pool at Hojo. My mom, DH and I all love how comfortable their beds are. Some rooms are more updated than others but all have been perfectly clean for us. We love the keurig coffee makers. Staff are just as friendly as they are onsite IMO. Plus parking is free and we pay less than half the price of staying onsite. We've never been disappointed with our choice to stay at Hojo.

Like the PP above me stated, we usually crossed Harbor at the light right in front of Hojo and walked up the DLR side of the street. This way we avoided all the driveways from the other hotels and stuff.

I was hesitant at staying at HoJo as the hotel name where I live is usually more like a days inn or best western which I prefer more of a Hilton or embassy suites type of place. I stayed at hojo when we went during Halloween time & most hotels were sold out & I read all the great reviews on here. I must say that I was wrong about the hojo. The beds are really nice & comfortable, the kids pool is great if you have young children & the hot tub is near the water park so parents can relax while children play in the water while you watch them. Also, there is a keurig in the room so, you get a good coffee each morning. Its much nicer than I anticipated. Will I stay there again? Definitely :flower1:

We've stayed at GCH twice and HoJo's once before getting AP's. During this AP year we've been at HoJo's twice already and have 2 more trips at HoJo's coming up before the AP's expire.

While I really love staying on site and also staying at 5 star resorts when we're traveling to places like Hawaii we decided we would do DL on site every few years as we'd prefer to spend our money on more resort dining and more trips.

The HoJo's staff have always been super helpful and friendly, the rooms are fine (not a 5 star but clean, well thought out comfortable and quiet - the last few trips we've booked far enough in advance to get the kids suite which we love).

If money was no object though I'd stay onsite every time for EE alone - we are early risers and always go for rope drop and would have loved those extra hours this past year. I do look forward to someday staying at DLH as I really want DD5 to enjoy their pools and waterslides and I LOVE the GCH pool and DCA entrance. It just comes down to priorities for us. We spend a decent amount of time at the hotel - we come back for an afternoon break/swim every day and we've never regretted staying at HoJo's, even when we had a regular queen + bunk bed room.

The new Courtyard looks interesting but I've heard price-wise it will sit between HoJo's and On site so I'm not sure if we will really find it a value - if we decide to spend the Courtyard rates we may decide to just go on site.

We stayed last November at HoJo for 7 nights. Is it as themed or nice as a WDW deluxe or moderate? No way. But it is a clean hotel with a water park that my kids love - even when it's freezing. The walk is an easy one...and yes you have to go past the chains of hotels, restaurants and bus stops. But it's half the price of DLH. Honestly, I liked staying there more than I did at AllStars Movies at WDW. While there's no theming like a giant Pongo or Buzz, it has bigger rooms and beds and no (terrible) bus service is needed. But if money is something you can spend on a DLH stay, do it. But if you're tight like me, go to HoJo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter