No more single rider on EE?

TSMM in Disneyland has a Single Rider line

They'd gotten rid of it last year.

I think the concern with TSMM is that the seats are back to back with a high partition between them, and the child would not be within sight of the parent if the parent sat on the other side of the partition.

That's too bad - they did the single rider line better than any other ride at DW!!! :sad2:

I know this because my DH would go to get on the ride, and an overprotective mom would freak out, then ask if the child could ride alone. Sometimes the CM would offer me up, and since I was a girl, sometimes I would make the cut, other times the mom would throw a fit and the child would ride alone.

We lived locally then so we went down every weekend when TSMM first opened and this happened to us multiple times. When they closed down the single rider line we asked why, and the CMs told us it was because parents not wanting their kids to ride with strangers. It slowed the single rider line down too much, so it wasn't worth it.

WOW. That is just ridiculous. If it's that big of a deal, have the parent sit with the SR while the other two in the party ride together. I guess basic logic escapes people in WDW.

I have gotten lucky a few times on rides without a dedicate SR line (especially ToT) where they ask if anyone in the line is a SR to fill an empty seat on an elevator and I have gotten to jump ahead of quite a number of people to fill that seat. DH and I have to switch off riding for some of those rides since it is just the two of us and DS2. The SR line at RnRC has been hit or miss for me the times we have used it. But we love using SR at Everest! Even faster than FP and helps us each get on the ride quicker so DS does not get bored in his stroller waiting for us to take turns.

I think the concern with TSMM is that the seats are back to back with a high partition between them, and the child would not be within sight of the parent if the parent sat on the other side of the partition.

That whole seat things bugs me normally. For us it is more fun if we can see each other during the ride. We try and ask for different but facing each other cars.

A couple of years ago we were riding EE we had 5 FP and 6 people. So the sixth person rode single rider. We actually ended getting to the front at the same time and getting on the same train. The CM directed my brother to the empty seat in the back. Now obviously I was riding alone because we were uneven (same train as the seat in the back). My brother casually asked to sit in the seat next to me instead of the back. Same result, one seat filled. The CM went nuts on my brother, got in his face, told him that he would sit where he was told or he would get kicked out of the park. It wasn't a big deal, it was a casual request, we hadn't even expected to be on the same train. A simple no would've been fine.

I can see why they turned him down - single riders can't request a seat - but the CM's demeanor would have gotten a report to Guest Services if it was me. All he had to say was "sorry, but no"

When they had the SRL at TSMM at DCA, they would not pair an adult with a child and they asked people if they would mind sitting with a single rider.

I've experienced single rider lines down at times in all four parks over the years. Each time I hear varying reasons from cast members but they usually are back up and running the next time I go. I notice it happens more frequently during peak days.

Obviously, this means they have an odd number in their family/party. So why didn't they just have Mom or Dad ride next to the stranger?
Some families have more kids than adults.;) One of our trips we would have
had our 5 YO ride alone and DH ride with autistic 4 YO and I would be with the 3 YO.
Now Our 5 YO would know better than to try to climb out of the ride but obviously the 3 YO or our autistic son would not. So neither one of them could ride with anyone but an adult basically leaving our 5 YO open to a single rider. I can see how with that ride being dark and slow moving a mom might not like the idea of some stranger sitting with their little one. :confused3 My kids are no snowflakes but I will protect them from things that would steal their childhood.:goodvibes

WOW. That is just ridiculous. If it's that big of a deal, have the parent sit with the SR while the other two in the party ride together. I guess basic logic escapes people in WDW.

You mean basic logic like the kind that said that someone 7 or older could ride by themselves? Therefore, a 7 year old could be riding with a complete stranger? Sorry but if there are three of us and I have to sit with my youngest child (say a 3 yo) for whatever reason, I would not want the other one sitting with a complete stranger on that ride. The older child might be old enough to ride by him/herself but not old enough to be responsible for an even younger one.

I guess basic logic escapes people on the DIS sometimes.

Some families have more kids than adults.;) One of our trips we would have
had our 5 YO ride alone and DH ride with autistic 4 YO and I would be with the 3 YO.
Now Our 5 YO would know better than to try to climb out of the ride but obviously the 3 YO or our autistic son would not. So neither one of them could ride with anyone but an adult basically leaving our 5 YO open to a single rider. I can see how with that ride being dark and slow moving a mom might not like the idea of some stranger sitting with their little one. :confused3 My kids are no snowflakes but I will protect them from things that would steal their childhood.:goodvibes

You mean basic logic like the kind that said that someone 7 or older could ride by themselves? Therefore, a 7 year old could be riding with a complete stranger? Sorry but if there are three of us and I have to sit with my youngest child (say a 3 yo) for whatever reason, I would not want the other one sitting with a complete stranger on that ride. The older child might be old enough to ride by him/herself but not old enough to be responsible for an even younger one.

I guess basic logic escapes people on the DIS sometimes.

The discussion was centered primarily around the SRL for EE and RnRC, so I wasn't thinking about children that young (would they even be tall enough to ride?). I was thinking more like a 7 and 10 year old sitting together with Mom or Dad being the odd one out.

There was also some discussion of TSMM in DLR, so I can see how it could be a problem seating really young kids together with no adult in that instance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter