• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No more rolling coolers!

Has anyone had experience of this on the Fantasy the orginal poster was on the Dream. I had no trouble using my rolling cooler on the Magic!!

And I think of the family (about a dozen members) across from us in dining on our 2009 Magic cruise who not only brought open bottles of liquor into the dining every night, but giant red plastic cups to drink it out of. And the servers said nothing! And every single night they became plastered and made spectacles of themselves! And yet when my husband brought his bottle of wine, we had to pay a corkage fee. Maybe we should start opening our bottle in the room like they did and just carry it with us :rotfl2:

This could very well be the start of a crack down enforcing *all the rules* and preventing the abuse by some passingers.

AKK

Okay, really! You needed a rolling cooler to carry insulinn onboard? Come now, my DD is a type 1 diabetic on a pump. I had to take 3 vials of insulin with us on your recent 7 night cruise. I took the insulin on board in a FRIO pack measuring about 3 inches by 6 inches, All our other supplies were distributed in our carry ons. Even a ziplock bag with an ice pack would have sufficed. DCL isn't going to deny you bring medication on board, just the means by which you do so.

Okay, really! You needed a rolling cooler to carry insulinn onboard? Come now, my DD is a type 1 diabetic on a pump. I had to take 3 vials of insulin with us on your recent 7 night cruise. I took the insulin on board in a FRIO pack measuring about 3 inches by 6 inches, All our other supplies were distributed in our carry ons. Even a ziplock bag with an ice pack would have sufficed. DCL isn't going to deny you bring medication on board, just the means by which you do so.

Okay, really! Your reply to the OP seems a little harsh! :confused3

Is this for soft sided coolers or the big hard ones. We have a rolling one that looks like a suitcase that we have used before on the ship and I'm just wondering if I can use it again.

Okay, really! Your reply to the OP seems a little harsh! :confused3

I disagree...........seems the OP presented what happend and asked why?

Seems more details are needed.........

What size in the cooler?....What size the medical supplies needed?

Fair questions.

My wife uses the pens, but I cant see how the vials would reqiure that much more space.

AKK

Hmmm. The DCL website specifically lists that 'no coolers rule' will be excempted for medical reasons. Sounds like you had an over-zealous bag-checker. OR they need to update the website.

'Coolers are not permitted except for those needed for medications, baby food or items related to dietary constraints.'

Yes, that may have been the case.

If I had bottles of frozen breast milk, it would be convenient to have a rolling cart. All that ice could get heavy and there's no way I would risk letting it melt. Of course I could carry a cooler, it would just be nice to have the option. Hopefully it will be like the flight regulations back in the mid 2000s and they'll ease up a bit for medical exceptions.

I disagree...........seems the OP presented what happend and asked why?

Seems more details are needed.........

What size in the cooler?....What size the medical supplies needed?

Fair questions.

My wife uses the pens, but I cant see how the vials would reqiure that much more space.

AKK

Ok. We agree to disagree.

Is this for soft sided coolers or the big hard ones. We have a rolling one that looks like a suitcase that we have used before on the ship and I'm just wondering if I can use it again.

Recent reports are that DCL is cracking down and not allowing these any more. Please plan accordingly for your next cruise.

For those of you who had your coolers taken away did they take your alcohol as well??

The alcohol has not been confiscated, however passengers had to do a last-minute adjustment and re-distribute their carry-on items to make room for what had been in the cooler. I believe the cooler is returned at the end of the cruise unless passengers could return it to a car in the parking garage.

Has anyone had experience of this on the Fantasy the orginal poster was on the Dream. I had no trouble using my rolling cooler on the Magic!!

This is a very recent change in enforcement - so unless you cruised the Magic last week you may have been allowed your rolling cooler. Don't expect to in the future, such enforcements tend to be across the board for all ships.

I am going to merge this with the other cooler thread so all the info is in one thread...and people...play nice.

M

Hmmm.

'Coolers are not permitted except for those needed for medications, baby food or items related to dietary constraints.'

So I am now officially confused. I am cruising on the Dream in December. I am nursing and had planned on bringing the cooler that comes with my breast pump on board with pumped milk inside. It is probably about 8x8x6. You put 3 ice packs in it and it holds 6-5oz. bottles. It is made of nylon.

So are they going to let me bring this on? The milk has to be kept cold or it'll be of no use to me.

I just spoke with DCL (forgot to have hubsters CPAP noted on the ressie) and I asked, and was told: "The cooler rule, as well as the limit on alcohol is now being STRICTLY enforced. Again, the AMOUNT of alcohol per person.".

What limit on alcohol? So far, there hasn't been one.

When there was talk of DCL implementing a limit last year, DCL scrapped the idea due to the backlash.

Irishcowboy never said that he used a 'rolling cooler' to carry his insulin and supplies in; for all we know, it could have been a little lunch box sized one.

It seems like whatever security agent he had was a little overzealous with the 'no exceptions rule' since in accordance to the DLC website, there are medical exceptions in place.

So I am now officially confused. I am cruising on the Dream in December. I am nursing and had planned on bringing the cooler that comes with my breast pump on board with pumped milk inside. It is probably about 8x8x6. You put 3 ice packs in it and it holds 6-5oz. bottles. It is made of nylon.

So are they going to let me bring this on? The milk has to be kept cold or it'll be of no use to me.

You should be good. DCL's policy allows small coolers for medication, baby food or dietary needs. I think the poster who indicated he wasn't allowed to bring his cooler for his insulin either encountered an over-zealous security guard or had an overly large cooler than necessary for his medical need.

If you do encounter a problem at security, considering the size of your pump's cooler bag, I'd certainly escalate it rather than waste all that milk!

Enjoy your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter