No more rolling coolers!

What limit on alcohol? So far, there hasn't been one.

Last week on the Dream, we brought 1 case of champagne for our staterooms and 8 bottles of wine for Palo and Remy. we used 3 "carry on" bags to hold them.

This thread is just going to devolve into nothing but a troll on troll fight. Stand by everyone, grab some popcorn and a soda and prepare for an entertaining event.

Okay, really! Your reply to the OP seems a little harsh! :confused3

Sorry you feel that way.

Irishcowboy never said that he used a 'rolling cooler' to carry his insulin and supplies in; for all we know, it could have been a little lunch box sized one.

It seems like whatever security agent he had was a little overzealous with the 'no exceptions rule' since in accordance to the DLC website, there are medical exceptions in place.

IrishCowboy put "No Rolling Coolers - Even for medicine" in his title. That means to me that he indeed was using a rolling cooler.

I agree that exceptions need to be made for medical purposes, I would have been upset as well if I couldn't bring a cooler to keep medicines cool. TSA is the worst as far as I'm concerned. But I think a rolling cooler was a bit of an overkill for insulin.

For the last time....stop arguing. One more post like that and infractions will be given out.

Keep to the topic of discussing the new enforecment of the policy and not attacking others.

MJ

We just got off of the Dream 3 Night cruise yesterday in Port Canaveral. After 15 DCL cruises, this was definitely the most frustrating (messed up dining assignments, technical difficulties at fireworks, overbooked tasting, etc.). First, we showed up at the port as usual, gave our luggage to the porter, then my mom and sisters waited at the entrance while I parked the car. Met them in the terminal with my rolling cooler, no ice, fits through the scanner as always, and security tells me that I can't bring it on. I can bring what's in it onboard, but not the actual cooler. No exceptions - They already had several off to the side that people had left behind. So, we empty everything out (12 pack of water bottles, wine, candy for movies, pirate stuff) and shove it all into our carry ons. Luckily, it all fit. Then, I had to run back to the parking garage to put the cooler back in the car. That was 30 minutes we could have spent onboard. I know this has been the written policy forever, but the coolers have always been allowed. They said it was a recent change, so those of you cruising in the near future, pack your beverages in a small rolling suitcase and bring that onboard. Save yourselves the aggravation!

Hi Rose - I miss you! sorry you had this experience. Let's cruise with our girls again and give DCL another chance to treat you right!

I am all about pinching penny's, etc. but I am always amazed at the lengths people will go to save a few dollars. I would argue that if you do not have 50% of your individual rate to spend on drinks, etc. then a cruise may not be the best choice for you.

I realize that I'm not considered a big drinker (got that out of my system in college) but are people really spending at least 50% of their individual rate on drinks? :confused3

MagicRat said:
I realize that I'm not considered a big drinker (got that out of my system in college) but are people really spending at least 50% of their individual rate on drinks? :confused3

I wondered the same thing. That's an awful lot of drinking, etc...

I just spoke with DCL (forgot to have hubsters CPAP noted on the ressie) and I asked, and was told: "The cooler rule, as well as the limit on alcohol is now being STRICTLY enforced. Again, the AMOUNT of alcohol per person.".

Hmmm..perhaps some folks have been trying to sneak some extras on board?

Do we need to note CPAP machines on the reservation to be allowed to bring it on board? Because if my husband is asked to leave his behind, he will be left behind as well - or will be sleeping on deck :rotfl2:

At the risk of offending I was told that the coolers have been BANNED due to several people demanding ice and then rolling up to the pool for the day. Call it what you want, safety issue, contamination issue, PROFIT issue, but Disney said enough.

I am all about pinching penny's, etc. but I am always amazed at the lengths people will go to save a few dollars. I would argue that if you do not have 50% of your individual rate to spend on drinks, etc. then a cruise may not be the best choice for you.

Hope I don't offend but I am amazed at the things people do to steal things for souvenirs, coolers by the pool, bogus complaints to attempt to get a credit, etc.

Oh well, to each his own.
Well this will make things more difficult for those of use who truly need to bring drinks (non-alcoholic) on with them. I bring diet sodas that are made with Splenda as I am allergic to aspartame, the sweetener used in fountain drinks. Since Disney is a Coke user and doesn't make a diet Coke with Splenda any longer I have to bring Diet Rite or Pepsi One. A small six can cooler isn't going to cut it.

Well this will make things more difficult for those of use who truly need to bring drinks (non-alcoholic) on with them. I bring diet sodas that are made with Splenda as I am allergic to aspartame, the sweetener used in fountain drinks. Since Disney is a Coke user and doesn't make a diet Coke with Splenda any longer I have to bring Diet Rite or Pepsi One. A small six can cooler isn't going to cut it.

We use a small, collapsible rolling luggage cart to haul our canned soft drinks onboard. We will take the cans off the cart to send them and the collapsed cart through the scanner. Since there is no cooler involved, i don't see how enforcing the cooler issue will impact our cans. We sail Saturday, so if it becomes an issue we'll let you know.

We use a small, collapsible rolling luggage cart to haul our canned soft drinks onboard. We will take the cans off the cart to send them and the collapsed cart through the scanner. Since there is no cooler involved, i don't see how enforcing the cooler issue will impact our cans. We sail Saturday, so if it becomes an issue we'll let you know.
Thanks because I really don't need them to be iced down. I can always get some ice to put in a drink. I will have a small cooler for my insulin and other diabetes supplies but it is more on the line of a lunch box.

Do we need to note CPAP machines on the reservation to be allowed to bring it on board? Because if my husband is asked to leave his behind, he will be left behind as well - or will be sleeping on deck :rotfl2:

My father uses one too. I am going to call DCL tomorrow!

Where did you get your collapsed cart??TIA!!

Okay, really! You needed a rolling cooler to carry insulinn onboard? Come now, my DD is a type 1 diabetic on a pump. I had to take 3 vials of insulin with us on your recent 7 night cruise. I took the insulin on board in a FRIO pack measuring about 3 inches by 6 inches, All our other supplies were distributed in our carry ons. Even a ziplock bag with an ice pack would have sufficed. DCL isn't going to deny you bring medication on board, just the means by which you do so.

I never said I needed a rolling cooler to carry insulin on board. :confused3

I needed the rolling cooler to carry on the 12 pack of Diet Mt Dew 16 oz bottles :lmao:

I only wanted to inform future cruisers so that they can be better prepared.
The point I was trying to make is that DCL changed their policy (or is now enforcing an old policy) and passengers can no longer bring a rolling cooler on board. No big deal, just let me know ahead of time. On my previous 16 DCL cruises, this was not an issue.

Had I known about this before we sailed, I would have made other arrangements and placed the items in my carry on bag. Smaller cooler, ziplock bag with ice pack, etc. I purchased a small DCL soft sided cooler as soon as we boarded and that worked fine.

I like this board because it is a valuable resource for sharing DCL information and experiences. Let's try to keep it that way. No need to insinuate anything. :sad2:

We were on the 9/29 Fantasy and we also were not permitted to bring on our rolling cooler. Friends of ours were on the same cruise a few weeks before us and were allowed to bring them on no problems. A supervisor came down to the security desk and explained that their enforcement of the no cooler policy came as a result of guests coolers leaking onto the rugs in the cabins and in turn, mold formed and rugs needed to be replaced. It became too expensive so they reverted back to the original policy and still allow alcohol (no limit as long as an adult 21 yrs or older can carry it on according to the DCL supervisor) but no coolers at all!

I will be on the Fantasy early December!
I LIKE PAYING EXTRA for my disney cruise!:cool1:
When rules are followed thats even better! :thumbsup2
Next maybe shorts at dinner time ???? :confused3

:woohoo::woohoo:

We were on the 9/29 Fantasy and we also were not permitted to bring on our rolling cooler. Friends of ours were on the same cruise a few weeks before us and were allowed to bring them on no problems. A supervisor came down to the security desk and explained that their enforcement of the no cooler policy came as a result of guests coolers leaking onto the rugs in the cabins and in turn, mold formed and rugs needed to be replaced. It became too expensive so they reverted back to the original policy and still allow alcohol (no limit as long as an adult 21 yrs or older can carry it on according to the DCL supervisor) but no coolers at all!

Sad about the leakage and mold, but now we know the reasoning behind the enforcement.

Where did you get your collapsed cart??TIA!!

We got our cart on ebay. There's several types/prices available. Or do a Google search. Ours was less than $30.

I will be on the Fantasy early December!
I LIKE PAYING EXTRA for my disney cruise!:cool1:
When rules are followed thats even better! :thumbsup2
Next maybe shorts at dinner time ???? :confused3

:woohoo::woohoo:

I'm with you! Shorts should be allowed at dinner :thumbsup2. DH has great legs and looks just as nice in a dressy pair of shorts and a Tommy Bahama button down :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter