Nintendo coming to Universal?

This would be a genius move for Universal IMO. I don't think Disney
Looks like Universal will be on our to do list when this is all completed. Nintendo has has huge presence in our house. The kids will love this! I may love it more! Lol!

@mjallemand, did you see this?!

I agree. Though the fact that it is rumored to take over the kid zone has me a bit disappointed. I think it could do much better with a combination of thrill rides and family rides.

This is confusing to me, did you mean Nintendo's best selling item is the DS?

And I am in no way suggesting that Nintendo isn't relevant at all. I know it still is, but the number of kids I've seen with tablets instead of gaming systems (including those that are portable) is much higher recently. I also think parents are attracted to the tablets because games for the DS cost significantly more than a game on an iPod.

Maybe it's just me. It's just something I've noticed. :confused3
Pretty sure I saw some articles on ign about Nintendo wanting to create more of a tablet/smartphone presence, so you're probably right about kids being into that stuff more. Hopefully Nintendo can be successful there. I wouldn't mind an animal crossing smartphone app...

My two kids have one iPhone 5c, 2 iPad minis, 2 DSi XLs, and a 3DS XL between them as far as portables. My son is more of a gamer than my daughter, and plays his 3DS daily. He never leaves the house without it. DD will get his 3DS when he gets his New 3DS, which should be soon. She has 3DS games but rarely plays them because he is on it. I know she'll be happy to get it. Lol

Pretty sure I saw some articles on ign about Nintendo wanting to create more of a tablet/smartphone presence, so you're probably right about kids being into that stuff more. Hopefully Nintendo can be successful there. I wouldn't mind an animal crossing smartphone app...

Agreed, as I mentioned previously, I think it will still do well. :stitch:

This is absolutely briliant deal by Universal to get Nintendo in the parks... Kids will love it! This is what's missing from EPCOT's Future World right now... Remember Innoventions West just closed. And years ago it housed SEGA's latest and greatest games/systems. Got to wonder if this is at all connected... Universal signs Nintendo, Iger makes a deal w/ Universal to send back the rights to Marvel on the East coast, and they come to EPCOT. Boom!

In other news, how is it that this deal wasn't leaked, and no one knew a single thing about it. It was just out of the blue today. But some of the rumors at Disney are so badly hidden (ie:- StarWars land at DHS, a new name for DHS)?

This is absolutely briliant deal by Universal to get Nintendo in the parks... Kids will love it! This is what's missing from EPCOT's Future World right now... Remember Innoventions West just closed. And years ago it housed SEGA's latest and greatest games/systems. Got to wonder if this is at all connected... Universal signs Nintendo, Iger makes a deal w/ Universal to send back the rights to Marvel on the East coast, and they come to EPCOT. Boom!

In other news, how is it that this deal wasn't leaked, and no one knew a single thing about it. It was just out of the blue today. But some of the rumors at Disney are so badly hidden (ie:- StarWars land at DHS, a new name for DHS)?

Marvel isn't going anyhwere, IOA's likely to upgrade and expand the Marvel land. (The contract Universal has for Marvel is VERY heavily weighted toward Uni's favor) http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm is the contract.

Universal would be insane to let that go.

I interpret it as Comcast being proactive...lining up more property to counter the Star Wars development...

Which of course...nothing has been done with... And they are trying to lay a "it's really hard to build things based on Star Wars because its so unproven" cover story to buy at least 5 more years of time...

Wishes, magic, dream, wonder...

Last edited:
Exactly. ALL indications point to Marvel's presence at UNI getting STRONGER not weaker.

But how long did it take for somebody to immediately say "Disney's building marvel land!!!"

Right...Disney wants to lose product and licensing fees across town... Which generates far more business for wdw than it steals...so they can spend a billion to build "avenger land" across town...to get the same merchandise sales they'd be giving up for free...

And they'd probably build it ontop of imagination in EPCOT...

I wonder... Truly...if anyone will ever "get" the marvel thing?

This is huge - just the IP possibilities with Mario/Luigi, Kirby, Zelda, Pokemon, Sonic, and more...it's too bad this will only be a kid land - this could be a whole park:)...I was excited to get annual passes to Universal for this year and next...at this build rate (and with the lack thereof at Disney), I may never leave the Dark Side!

Mario is still popular as well. I for one would love a Mario kart attraction.

A Mario Kart version of a Radiator Springs Racers type ride seems like a natural to me.

I think it's another smart move by Universal. There is a lot of potential for this partnership

Last edited:
But how long did it take for somebody to immediately say "Disney's building marvel land!!!"

Right...Disney wants to lose product and licensing fees across town... Which generates far more business for wdw than it steals...so they can spend a billion to build "avenger land" across town...to get the same merchandise sales they'd be giving up for free...

Especially when they've had 16 years to build an attraction better than Spiderman and haven't yet.

Especially when they've had 16 years to build an attraction better than Spiderman and haven't yet.

They seem almost determined to definitely, not, ever, build a ride with any kind of brand-new, innovative technology again. The spiderman technology is one thing ... then there's the video technology that was in place years ago at Universal's "Disaster", and now used in the Harry Potter queue ... not to mention the Forbidden Journey using not just of robot arms, but _moving_ robot arms plus video, plus AAs.

I haven't been on Gringotts or 7DMT but am I safe in guessing that the former is full of innovations and the latter is ... less so?

I would have to agree with you. I don't think Pokemon and Nintendo are as relevant as they were 10 years ago. While the Wii is the best family gaming platform, I think a lot of parents give their kids a tablet and a call it a day. They do a lot more than a system would ever do, and they are portable.

Needless to say, I do think a Nintendo land would do the park some good, and would attract a large audience. But in terms of the new generations, I can't say I agree with that.

I think Nintendo is more relevant than you think. Lets not forget that they just recently said they would start developing games for mobile platforms after years and years of holding out. I also don't think tablets will ever replace a gaming system, while yes they are more flexible in what they can do they don't do games anywhere near as well as a console can. Lets also not forget that Nintendo spans multiple generations. My kids can relate to it as well as myself. I don't have a attachment to mobile games but you better believe that I was just as excited as my 8 & 9yos to get the new Mario Kart. To me this is a great move on Universal's part.

For me...it's not that they are not investing in techno development, thrills, or even solid established ride systems...

It's that they have no desire to even try...like not one bit for years.

The apologists always yell. "Disney is for families!"

Well...they haven't pushed the envelope of splash mountain in forever...there's just no desire to put anything in... Be it themed or pushing physical senses...to be proud of...

Lets look at "new Fantayland"...I'm not expecting cedar point...but the main components of the area is reclaiming they area of 20,000 leagues as pathway... Lets be honest. Mine train is really an updated version of a zippy skippy coaster...it's more barnstormer than it is even big thunder - which is tame. Dumbos circus looks almost exactly like toontown... And they got a really big restaurant and the mermaid omnimover.

Well built but not impressive.

And whatever their building at avatar is so "secret" that ultimately I don't think they've got anything...sounds like soarin 2.0 with bad characters...we shall see.

Speaking of soarin...the definition of a C ticket...they take 10 years to add a theater and the film is falling apart... And it's basically the back to the future ride from universal Inside out.

I'm gonna leave Star Wars alone...
Because I view it as a Waterloo moment and I don't want to consider the bad scenario...

But as Han Solo, Princess Leia, et al say..."I've got a bad feeling about this"

I was simply connecting dots and wondering if it all might be possible. I think it's been said many times by many people on the boards who know more than I do about the contract that Disney WON'T be getting any Marvel rights in Florida any time soon. Just thought the timing was interesting.

I do believe, unlike others here, that Nintendo is NOT fading in popularity. Plenty of people, old and young, still either play or know about Nintendo characters and games. This seems like it is a good get for Universal.

To me this is a great move on Universal's part.

I do believe, unlike others here, that Nintendo is NOT fading in popularity. Plenty of people, old and young, still either play or know about Nintendo characters and games. This seems like it is a good get for Universal.

I agree that this would do nothing but help Universal, I for one would love to go to Universal to ride a Mario Kart themed ride.

You mentioned that they are finally looking at putting games to mobile, which is what I was saying. If people weren't so attached to their phones, then they wouldn't be having to succumb to developing games for a mobile platform. I'm in no way saying that the Wii U is bad, or that no one uses it. Just that I think things are headed in a different direction.

After reading what others have to say, I see both sides of it for sure. Nintendo isn't going anywhere. Adding a few attractions will do the park nothing but good.

My kids are very excited about this news. DS went upstairs to take a shower after TKD class last night, and he never came back downstairs. After an hour, I messaged him on his iPad, and this was his response...
image.jpg

:rotfl2:
Can't wait until more details come out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter