NextGen's Effect on DVC

I know a lot of people are speculating, but i see absolutely no reason why any future enhancements to Disney's resort perks would not be equally shared with DVC guests.

Every single perk that an onsite guest receives we also receive. In fact, we often even receive an extra on top of that.

Examples:

We can make free use of DME.
We can take full advantage of EMH.
We can take full advantage on the on-site transportation.
We receive free parking everywhere on Disney (while staying at our resort).
We can partake in charging privileges and resort package delivery.
We even have the extra perk of being able to book the dining plan without having to buy park tickets as well.

These are all things that Disney can discontinue for DVC members (with maybe the exception of package delivery and on-site transportation). And Disney even made a special exception to the dining plan requirements for the DDP.

I see no reason why this trend would not continue. That is the the sum of the entire sales pitch for DVC: "As a DVC guest, you are treated just like any other on-site guest and receive all of those perks." If that were to change for NextGen/xPass, then they would lose that bullet point.

I speculate that a big source of DVC presentations is for people who are already staying onsite at the Disney resorts. They might take interest in DVC because it's a less expensive way to stay on site. If they excluded DVC from NextGen/xPass, the sales presentations would go like this: "So, as a DVC member you would get most of the on-site benefits!" "What about xPass? That is very convenient!" "I'm sorry, that isn't available to DVC members."

Now I don't doubt that there might be kinks in the system for DVC members simply because we are a special minority. Things like the 180+10 dining window and the ability to buy the DDP seem to slip through the cracks for us, but I don't think any of them are intentional, and they do seem to get fixed eventually. I don't think that it's because they specifically made any decision to exclude DVC members.

Agree completely. Always thought the attempt to charge money for FASTPASSES as a standalone product was misguided. Use this to create more demand for Disney hotel rooms and then start reducing discounts even further. THAT is how they will (should) turn it into a money maker.

Reduced hotel discounts (or increase hotel base prices) allow DVD to increase prices.

When we took the DVC tour in March, I specifically asked the salesman about this and any possible effect it could have on DVC.

He was extremely confident that however this was rolled out that Disney will never leave behind its DVC members. Call me gullible...but I believe this. It would not do Disney any good to upset their DVC'ers and they know it.

Just my opinion of course...

I have to admit that when I read RFIDs, fastpasses, DVC, and privacy concerns that for a second I thought they were going to implant them in my forearm.

And I thought "Well, that's a bit much but I guess I did buy an ownership interest..." and "I wonder what they're going to do for cash guests..."

I know a lot of people are speculating, but i see absolutely no reason why any future enhancements to Disney's resort perks would not be equally shared with DVC guests.
While you are likely right, Adam, remember that DVC was not allowed to purchase the dining plan for quite some time after inception. It took a lot of grumbling by the DVC rank and file to get that perk. In addition, we didn't receive any form of park ticket discount for years. It is possible for WDW Parks & Resorts to take us for granted.

While you are likely right, Adam, remember that DVC was not allowed to purchase the dining plan for quite some time after inception. It took a lot of grumbling by the DVC rank and file to get that perk.

the ability to buy DDP is considered a perk? :rotfl::lmao::rotfl2:

;)

Disney has committed a BILLION DOLLARS to NextGen and you can bet that people will want to pay for using some of the features.

Disney isn't stupid and they won't force anyone into anything that they don't want to do, but your Magical experience will be enhanced if you embrace and use the technology. (Disney Speak)

Fast Pass replacement is just one small enhancement and the first tests will commence in a week or so.

DCL is currently using RFID and so are the CM's.

Just think about it, you arrive at the bus station and wave your wrist band by a scanner as you enter the queue. The passenger count is sent to transportation and a extra bus is dispatched due to a high queue count.

Charge something to your room, wave your wrist band.

Refillable drink mug, wave your band and your RFID mug to get a fill up.

Buy park admission, wave your band and the ticket is added to your account. Enter the park by waving your band.

Plan your vacation, your park time and by waving your wrist, you can see on your phone what's next and where to go.

Checking in at your ADR, wave your wrist.

The possibilities are endless.

:earsboy: Bill

my understanding is the bracelet would be optional at additional cost. Everyone else would simply use their resort ID card.

Like the Cruise Line? This would be a better option. As for the bracelet, my granddaughter actually lost her's on Castaway Cay. We are guessing is slipped off in the water. Which also becomes an issue when bracelets get lost. I know they could've charged us $50 for the lost wristband, but they didn't. (She didn't even realize we lost it until we got on the ship and she put her wrist on the scanner and noticed it was gone.) I found the system worked well on the Dream last week.

Disney has committed a BILLION DOLLARS to NextGen and you can bet that people will want to pay for using some of the features.

Disney isn't stupid and they won't force anyone into anything that they don't want to do, but your Magical experience will be enhanced if you embrace and use the technology. (Disney Speak)

Fast Pass replacement is just one small enhancement and the first tests will commence in a week or so.

Just think about it, you arrive at the bus station and wave your wrist band by a scanner as you enter the queue. The passenger count is sent to transportation and a extra bus is dispatched due to a high queue count.

Buy park admission, wave your band and the ticket is added to your account. Enter the park by waving your band.

Plan your vacation, your park time and by waving your wrist, you can see on your phone what's next and where to go.

I wear a watch and my wedding rings. And a watch is ALL I want to wear on my wrist. If I can still have the same perks by using my room key then it's all good. If I HAVE to wear one of these big bright clunky bracelets then I'm gonna HATE it. JM2C. I am a minimalist when it comes to wearing crap like jewelry and I am especially not impressed with the bright colors etc.

I wear a watch and my wedding rings. And a watch is ALL I want to wear on my wrist. If I can still have the same perks by using my room key then it's all good. If I HAVE to wear one of these big bright clunky bracelets then I'm gonna HATE it. JM2C. I am a minimalist when it comes to wearing crap like jewelry and I am especially not impressed with the bright colors etc.

I can't even wear a wedding ring. I have terrible topical and outdoor allergies, and get swelling in my hands if I have a reaction. I almost had to have my ring cut off me 6 years ago, have not worn it since. If I wear a watch or anything else that's "foreign" I tend to break out. Very odd, yes, but that's my deal.

So I probably won't be able to wear a bracelet. I certainly would have to take it off a lot and don't want to have to keep worrying about losing it. The KTTW card can go in my wallet, obviously a bracelet cannot. I also worry about two young kids (and a 3rd en route) losing these bracelets b/c they lose basically everything else.....I can't imagine the scene at the end of the day at SAB when the nervous parents are gathered round as CM's scoop 50 bracelets off the bottom of the pool.

I am open to innovative change, I just hope they can accommodate the same "perks" on the KTTW card.

I am open to innovative change, I just hope they can accommodate the same "perks" on the KTTW card.

Or on a phone app. I could see something like the way I pay for my starbucks with their phone app. I'd be ok with that kind of system.

I am not wearing one of those bracelets.

My question would be how are they going to deal with people that have Unexpiring tickets (often multiple unexpriing tickets).

While you are likely right, Adam, remember that DVC was not allowed to purchase the dining plan for quite some time after inception. It took a lot of grumbling by the DVC rank and file to get that perk. In addition, we didn't receive any form of park ticket discount for years. It is possible for WDW Parks & Resorts to take us for granted.

I can sort of understand the DDP. The requirements to even buy the DDP is that you had to do everything as a full package... including hotel and park tickets.

Even as it is, annual pass holders can't buy the DDP, even if they are staying at Disney hotels. DDP for DVC is something that Disney Parks did special for DVC. Because of that, I can understand why it took them so long to make it available.

As far as discounted park tickets, that's something that comes VERY rarely indeed and not something I consider to be a perk of staying on site. In almost all cases, you are paying full price for park admission. We DVC members got a real rare perk indeed with the discounted park admission.

As I stated before, as DVC members we receive pretty much every perk and benefit given to all on-site cash guests. I see no reason why this wouldn't continue with any new system that disney comes out with. If there is some aspect of it that DVC members can't take advantage of, I would attribute it to something more along the lines of that DVC is a small minority of overall Disney guests and we just weren't considered in the overall grand scheme...an oversite. I wouldn't attribute it to some specific decision that was made to specifically exclude us.

Guess we should all be practicing our wrist wave to be able to enhance our Magical experiences. :rolleyes1

I just hope that if I charge something to the room that my credit card number doesn't get jeopardized. Someone got a hold of mine this winter and I try to be very careful with that kind of stuff. I know it can happen easily and that I likely won't have to sign up for that service...but still, I have to wonder how secure the whole thing will be. :confused:

I can't even wear a wedding ring. I have terrible topical and outdoor allergies, and get swelling in my hands if I have a reaction. I almost had to have my ring cut off me 6 years ago, have not worn it since. If I wear a watch or anything else that's "foreign" I tend to break out. Very odd, yes, but that's my deal.

So I probably won't be able to wear a bracelet. I certainly would have to take it off a lot and don't want to have to keep worrying about losing it. The KTTW card can go in my wallet, obviously a bracelet cannot. I also worry about two young kids (and a 3rd en route) losing these bracelets b/c they lose basically everything else.....I can't imagine the scene at the end of the day at SAB when the nervous parents are gathered round as CM's scoop 50 bracelets off the bottom of the pool.

Or on a phone app. I could see something like the way I pay for my starbucks with their phone app. I'd be ok with that kind of system.

I am not wearing one of those bracelets.

Haven't you ever been in a hospital or ER. They scan your wristband to death, having just spent 15 days in the hospital I should know. And yes, I lost some of them because when the but the ID on me I was all swollen with fluids and as I lost the fluid off it came at the most inconvenient time(s). :blush:
Or for that matter, have you gone to MNSSHP or MVMCP? Last October we must have had our wristbands scanned six times as we walked through the park and then at each attraction too before they'd let us into the queue. They were being very careful to weed out day guests from party guests. I have to admit I do make sure they do not place the wristband on too tight because it drives me nuts and irritates my skin.

I would expect there will be an option to carry it in your pocket/bag instead, or on a lanyard. I'd rather they give a wristband than want me to have a tracker placed under my skin with a shot. Yikes wouldn't that be popular.

"XPass only available to DVC guests utilizing Directly Purchased DVC points"

This is only my speculation, but it absolutely would not surprise me at all. In fact, this makes a lot of sense. They need something big to justify their current huge mark ups.

Oh no! I just heard about this! :scared1: And just purchased DVC (2 days ago) Honestly if I'd heard of this before I wouldn't have bought DVC - the thought of this is enough to say I wouldn't bother coming back to Disney.:sad1: I HATE planning. I hate schedules while on vacation. I make ADRs out of necessity, but also know exactly which ones I can cancel last minute and I only ever get FPs for the rides I know my littles will really want to ride multiple times.

If they roll this out the way it sounds, then there'll either be massive stand-by lines, or so much planning that the entire vacation will suck (IMO).

I know it's a ways away, but for me a good portion of the Disney Magic is how the day unexpectedly unfolds. Those random moments that happen pirate:when you're not planning. Especially with 3 kiddos under 5, we can't say 'we're doing that later' we say, 'sure we'll stop and play in the boneyard, again.' We say, 'certainly we'll be happy to ride space ranger spin (for the 20th time today) instead of making our pooh bear FP time.' That'd change drastically if everything had to be planned in advance. :crazy2:

You have 1o days to change your mind on DVC in FL.

Just think they could also at closing set it up for guests staying at that resort only, which means all those people parking at DD to ride SSR buses would not have a ride back to their car. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts