News Round Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious as to the increase in size of Disney Springs as compared to the Downtown Disney format. Does anyone know the total acreage included in the new format versus Downtown Disney before construction began (not including the parking lots)? Sure looks like it would take at least a day to wander through Disney Springs, even if you don't go into all the shops/stores.

Geez - this is "about time". I never understood why they took this away, the place is insanely popular and not really very big. This has recently been DD favorite character meal even though we are skipping it this upcoming trip. I would seriously consider getting the CP package here in 2016 if we go in December as planned.

I think the promo was hilarious. Have very little expectation of this succeeding. Society as a whole has no idea what to do with the muppets. Their somewhere between childrens television and adult television. The preview shows this with Fozzie dating a human and some of the jokes around this. If they go too risque they will offend parents, but can't make it as a prime-time kids show.

Curious as to the increase in size of Disney Springs as compared to the Downtown Disney format. Does anyone know the total acreage included in the new format versus Downtown Disney before construction began (not including the parking lots)? Sure looks like it would take at least a day to wander through Disney Springs, even if you don't go into all the shops/stores.
I'm not exactly sure if have to do a google maps estimation. I know they are going doubling retail and dining from 75 to 150 locations.

I suspect that part of the reason for expanding the Garden Grill hours of operation is Frozen-related. If they do, in-fact, end up opening W.S. earlier as a result of the new ride, they will have more folks entering the park that can/will take advantage of the earlier dining options.

Last edited:
Grabbed a pair of Garden Grill reservations for 11/18. Just need to decide between lunch and breakfast. Need a look at prices and the breakfast menu.

I suspect that part of the reason for expanding the Garden Grill hours of operation is Frozen-related. If they do, in-fact, end up opening W.S. earlier as a result of the new ride, they will have more folks entering the park that can/will take advantage of the earlier dining options.

That would be a pretty big shift in park operations from one simple ride overlay IMO.

Agreed. A perfect illustration of how desperate consumers are for something... anything... (even lipstick on a pig)... to come to EPCOT.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2015/07/phil-...ement-shaking-up-as-studios-expands/40at40_5/

"In a surprising move, current Disney’s Hollywood Studios vice president Dan Cockerell will trade places with long-time Magic Kingdom vice president Phil Holmes at some point in the next month. Phil Holmes has been the VP at Magic Kingdom for 14 years, starting his tenure in 2001. Cockerell has had his position at Hollywood Studios since 2011, previously being assigned vice president of Epcot. Disney announced they are moving Melissa Valiquette from director of operations at the Magic Kingdom to vice president of Epcot a few weeks ago as well.

Since Holmes has experience running the world’s most visited theme park, his leadership will be called upon to guide Hollywood Studios through what is expected to be a period of overhaul and expansion, including new Star Wars attractions."

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2015/07/phil-...ement-shaking-up-as-studios-expands/40at40_5/

"In a surprising move, current Disney’s Hollywood Studios vice president Dan Cockerell will trade places with long-time Magic Kingdom vice president Phil Holmes at some point in the next month. Phil Holmes has been the VP at Magic Kingdom for 14 years, starting his tenure in 2001. Cockerell has had his position at Hollywood Studios since 2011, previously being assigned vice president of Epcot. Disney announced they are moving Melissa Valiquette from director of operations at the Magic Kingdom to vice president of Epcot a few weeks ago as well.

Since Holmes has experience running the world’s most visited theme park, his leadership will be called upon to guide Hollywood Studios through what is expected to be a period of overhaul and expansion, including new Star Wars attractions."
As already discussed, Phil is at the end of his tenure and may not even see the end of the DHS work. Dan is being groomed as the WDW president to take over for George Kalogridis when he retires.

It's an interesting shift. As far as I understand, one has more experience with big expansions (Phil) and the other is good at keeping his attractions well maintained (Dan). It just happens that both DHS and MK need respectively those qualities right now. Phil may be on his way out, but he can still make sure that the plans for DHS go smoothly. And god knows MK needs some additional maintenance.

Last edited:
It's an interesting shift. As far as I understand, one has more experience with big expansions (Phil) and the other is good at keeping his attractions well kept (Dan). It just happens that both DHS and MK need respectively those qualities right now. Phil may be on his way out, but he can still make sure that the plans for DHS go smoothly. And god knows MK needs some additional maintenance.
Exactly. The rumor is that Phil was the one who shortened the Pirates refurb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter