News Round Up 2016

Costco seems to be getting more popular. Until this year we didn't have any costcos in my area which is a heavily populated one and now we have a couple of them. It's weird but I'm sure they see a need for it somewhere.
We've got two near me (and they are 8 miles from each other) and more on the other side of the state line. Both stores near me are very very busy and you can't beat the gas prices they offer. They each actually had 2 self check out lanes for a few years-we were told there were the only two in the nation to have them don't know if that is true or not--and then they took them out. It was a shame really because generally my husband and I don't go getting a cartfull of items.

I do find the DCA only to be a bit off. Now granted haven't been to DCA only DLR (though I was 2 yrs old). I could see it making more sense if one was a water park and the other a theme park but both are similar enough (IMO). I suppose it is aimed at those who don't want to spend the money for a park they don't have as much interest in and instead would only want to pay the price of an AP for the park they want to go to.

Well, think of the different ways in which the locals take advantage of the parks in California. While Disneyland is seen as a glorified daycare by many locals, DCA is the sort of place where grown ups may want to go for a drink or to have dinner, a more relaxing environment and maybe to hit a couple of rides. Another possibility is that they expect big crowds as Star Wars land starts taking shape, and they may want to encourage more guests to stay away from DL.

Well, think of the different ways in which the locals take advantage of the parks in California. While Disneyland is seen as a glorified daycare by many locals, DCA is the sort of place where grown ups may want to go for a drink or to have dinner, a more relaxing environment and maybe to hit a couple of rides. Another possibility is that they expect big crowds as Star Wars land starts taking shape, and they may want to encourage more guests to stay away from DL.

Good point about the "grown ups may want to go for a drink or to have dinner" - having access to Carthay Circle, etc could be appealing to some

Plus they had brought back their Food and Wine festival last year so people might want the annual pass access to visit that a few times

Yea for Animal Kingdom getting back is not fun. For Epcot area resorts, Yacht, Beach, and Boardwalk. It would be more then an hour long process. First, you have to wait for the bus, which is usually the longest part. If you are lucky and the bus is there then it isn't as bad more like 30 minutes. But waiting for the bus is usually like a 20 - 30 minute process. On the way back you have to stop by Blizzard Beach then stop by each resort, which they are close but still stopping and waiting multiple times. I would go to Animal Kingdom way more, if it wasn't such a hassle to go to.

While with Uber, I can be towards the exit of the park. Pull up the Uber app, request for a ride. By the time I get to the pick up spot, the car is there. Wait time 0 minutes because the car is there upon arrival, get back to Epcot resort within 10 minutes. Cost me maybe $10. While going on the bus, that would be 30 minutes at a minimum, most likely 50 minutes. This is why I love Uber. It is about the consumer.

I know it sounds kind of bad, but I value that time of getting back and forward because that is more relax time at the resort or at the park rather then on a bus. I don't mind the monorail transportation or boat transportation because that is almost like an attraction. But the bus transportation has always bothered me.

Do you Mean going to AK?Or returning? I've stayed at BWV twice, & even the first time when I stayed, it was never that long.....And that is when the bus went to BWV then Swan & Dolp, Then YC & BC. Also ,Of course you have to factor in the wait time prior to getting on a bus...That's at every resort during any part of the year too.

What we did was get off at the Swan & just walk the 5 min. walk back to BWV..Easy Peasy..

Do you Mean going to AK?Or returning? I've stayed at BWV twice, & even the first time when I stayed, it was never that long.....And that is when the bus went to BWV then Swan & Dolp, Then YC & BC. Also ,Of course you have to factor in the wait time prior to getting on a bus...That's at every resort during any part of the year too.

What we did was get off at the Swan & just walk the 5 min. walk back to BWV..Easy Peasy..

Yea Boardwalk is our home resort for DVC. More returning from then heading to AK (heading to the AK was like 20-30 minute process). But yea over a hour happened quite a few times. And we did the Swan exit most times, especially with our rooms more on the left side of the Boardwalk. I always felt the worse was waiting for a bus at AK. Compared to Magic Kingdom, I felt the bus would come more often. But when Uber first started it was so much more convenient to order the Uber on the app from the room or park, and it be there right when you arrive then you get dropped off very close. For $10, it is way worth it.

The problem if Disney takes over paid transportation, it will not be $10 a ride. They will force Uber out. I am not sure if they can force taxis out. You have to have the ability to use some form of transportation to get to random places outside of Disney like the grocery store, airport, and other destinations. So I would think the cap would be the cost of taxis, which would be $20 a ride. Not ideal.

I just would prefer Disney to not interfere with paid transportation because they already provide free transportation that is suppose to be efficient. People would not be using the paid transportation if they were doing a good job on their free transportation. Granted, most people including myself only use Uber for resort to resort transportation or maybe Disney Springs. I prefer to use it for Animal Kingdom for a park destination. If they start using a paid transportation system that could cause more focus on the paid transportation in the future and cut backs on the free transportation because the paid transportation is providing revenue.

Also, they can't fully take out taxis because people from Universal resorts or off property resorts may use that as a mode of transportation.

Yea Boardwalk is our home resort for DVC. More returning from then heading to AK (heading to the AK was like 20-30 minute process). But yea over a hour happened quite a few times. And we did the Swan exit most times, especially with our rooms more on the left side of the Boardwalk. I always felt the worse was waiting for a bus at AK. Compared to Magic Kingdom, I felt the bus would come more often. But when Uber first started it was so much more convenient to order the Uber on the app from the room or park, and it be there right when you arrive then you get dropped off very close. For $10, it is way worth it.

The problem if Disney takes over paid transportation, it will not be $10 a ride. They will force Uber out. I am not sure if they can force taxis out. You have to have the ability to use some form of transportation to get to random places outside of Disney like the grocery store, airport, and other destinations. So I would think the cap would be the cost of taxis, which would be $20 a ride. Not ideal.

I just would prefer Disney to not interfere with paid transportation because they already provide free transportation that is suppose to be efficient. People would not be using the paid transportation if they were doing a good job on their free transportation. Granted, most people including myself only use Uber for resort to resort transportation or maybe Disney Springs. I prefer to use it for Animal Kingdom for a park destination. If they start using a paid transportation system that could cause more focus on the paid transportation in the future and cut backs on the free transportation because the paid transportation is providing revenue.

Also, they can't fully take out taxis because people from Universal resorts or off property resorts may use that as a mode of transportation.

I think it's more likely you would see the "Transportation Plan" offered. Each day, you'd get X number of trips between your room and a park, X number of hotel to hotel trips and X number of park to park trips.

Most importantly, it will be priced so that it will generate maximum argument level on message boards as to whether or not it's worth it.

It's kinda ridiculous it's been broken for so long. Universal would be well suited to push that narrative. #RapBattle

I think they're kind of screwed on fixing the Yeti - from what I understand it's a matter of the foundation the Yeti is standing on, and how the movement began to crack and potentially destabilize the foundation. So presumably the Yeti -could- move, but they don't want to one of their best attractions to break. With it's perceived lack of attractions, reputation as a 'half-day park', etc, I don't know that there has been a good time for AK to shut down EE for the time required to do the necessary construction to fix the Yeti issue. And God knows what they would have to do to fix it, or if they even could without deconstructing a big chunk of the mountain.

In this instance Uni delivered a solid burn, but I don't think a social media strategy of them coming for Disney is wise. While Uni is definitely improving and expanding, Disney still delivers a superior product. Uni teasing Disney via Twitter just comes off as desperate and thirsty, IMO. Besides, even though their Kong technically moves he's just a giant head, right? Is he going to mean mug the Yeti to death? :)

I think they're kind of screwed on fixing the Yeti - from what I understand it's a matter of the foundation the Yeti is standing on, and how the movement began to crack and potentially destabilize the foundation. So presumably the Yeti -could- move, but they don't want to one of their best attractions to break. With it's perceived lack of attractions, reputation as a 'half-day park', etc, I don't know that there has been a good time for AK to shut down EE for the time required to do the necessary construction to fix the Yeti issue. And God knows what they would have to do to fix it, or if they even could without deconstructing a big chunk of the mountain.

In this instance Uni delivered a solid burn, but I don't think a social media strategy of them coming for Disney is wise. While Uni is definitely improving and expanding, Disney still delivers a superior product. Uni teasing Disney via Twitter just comes off as desperate and thirsty, IMO. Besides, even though their Kong technically moves he's just a giant head, right? Is he going to mean mug the Yeti to death? :)

DESPARATE AND THIRSTY.....Is that a good thing? Cause I arrive at the Hanger and the hole in the wall in a few short weeks. pirate: Argggggghhhhhhh

Downloads of Monsters, Inc.
Store: Disney Movies Anywhere
Price:Free
Expires: September 7

Save a couple of bucks and cozy up on the sofa tonight with a Disney classic for free. Just sign up for a Disney Movies Anywhere account (or sign in to your existing one) and connect with Google Play, iTunes, Amazon Video, Microsoft Movies & TV, or VUDU to get a download of Monsters, Inc. for absolutely nothing. That's $15 under the best price we could find for a download elsewhere today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter