• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

News Round Up 2016

Yeah, the inter hotel transfer thing is once again driven by time management. We usually just use the existing transportation with time built in. However, if we do oversleep, forget about the time, mis judge our itinerary or anything, then just hailing a cab is easy and gets us from point A to point B. Expecting Disney to cover every move and do it for nothing is like expecting the government to file your taxes for you, and remember every deduction.

That comparison is grossly exaggerated and pretty unfriendly. I don't expect Disney to cover my every move, but if I am transferring between resort hotels for the purpose of spending money, it's not inconsistent with their transportation system to provide this service. (And clearly Disney is contemplating doing so, albeit at an additional cost.) While it's a different branch of the corporation, Disney Vacation Destinations provides a fleet of shuttle vans to transfer guests between resorts for the purpose of soliciting Disney Vacation Club sales. Animal Kingdom Lodge has a dedicated shuttle van to transfer guests between Kidani Village and Jambo House. Disney has encouraged captive, carless guests with the advent of Magical Express, and it's to their advantage given the size of some resort parking lots. Disney is now realizing the audience exists for resort-to-resort transfers and instead of providing a transportation channel for free (like the resort hotel to park buses) it is deciding whether to offer this service and what price, if any, to charge.

I, too, ride the bus if I am visiting destinations where it is relatively simple (and a short ride) to make the transfer and I take advantage of Uber (a $6 ride last visit) when it's inconvenient for me to make bus transfers (like at park closing time, when the monorail and boats were mobbed with people and I needed to travel from the Grand Floridian to Coronado Springs). I would not be willing to pay Disney more than $2-3 per person for resort hotel to resort hotel shuttle service as that is what I pay Uber - and I think we all know Disney doesn't charge $2-3 for anything these days. That was my point. I will stop beating that drum now. Thanks, Ryan, for indulging this topic so long.

That comparison is grossly exaggerated and pretty unfriendly. I don't expect Disney to cover my every move, but if I am transferring between resort hotels for the purpose of spending money, it's not inconsistent with their transportation system to provide this service. (And clearly Disney is contemplating doing so, albeit at an additional cost.) While it's a different branch of the corporation, Disney Vacation Destinations provides a fleet of shuttle vans to transfer guests between resorts for the purpose of soliciting Disney Vacation Club sales. Animal Kingdom Lodge has a dedicated shuttle van to transfer guests between Kidani Village and Jambo House. Disney has encouraged captive, carless guests with the advent of Magical Express, and it's to their advantage given the size of some resort parking lots. Disney is now realizing the audience exists for resort-to-resort transfers and instead of providing a transportation channel for free (like the resort hotel to park buses) it is deciding whether to offer this service and what price, if any, to charge.

I, too, ride the bus if I am visiting destinations where it is relatively simple (and a short ride) to make the transfer and I take advantage of Uber (a $6 ride last visit) when it's inconvenient for me to make bus transfers (like at park closing time, when the monorail and boats were mobbed with people and I needed to travel from the Grand Floridian to Coronado Springs). I would not be willing to pay Disney more than $2-3 per person for resort hotel to resort hotel shuttle service as that is what I pay Uber - and I think we all know Disney doesn't charge $2-3 for anything these days. That was my point. I will stop beating that drum now. Thanks, Ryan, for indulging this topic so long.

The flaw in the theory is that they assume you are transferring hotels to "spend money"...while a likely outcome...it is not guaranteed and they do not invest unnecessary overhead on the non guaranteed.

And they like new ways to generate revenues...so there you go.

To add: making any comparison to the DVC sales vans is a tad silly...do you Know exactly why they sell DVC? Because it's a guaranteed goldmine...they get their costs back 100x over.

Last edited:
I would be extremely disappointed if Uber is not allowed on Disney property. If Disney started their own service it would be poorly ran. I almost always use ubers to get around between parks and resorts. The bus system at Disney is terrible and slow. From room to park, it would take me 10-15 minutes to get there with Uber while with a bus it is way longer for Animal Kingdom it can be an hour or longer. For $10 a ride, it is worth it. If Disney ran it, it would be expensive and they just can't get rid of taxis

Really ....An Hour....Seriously?:confused3

She couldn't have been that good of a server.

In a place like Cape May, They turn over tables at a rate of once a hour, my guess is that she would have had 6 tables at an average of $100 a table (which is probably really low). My guess is she should have been getting a minimum of $60 (10%) an hour in tips. Even after tipping out the bus staff (if she had to) she had to be pulling $30-$40 an hour.

Once I took my family to Cape May, I had the worst server who told me how overpaid us bus drivers were and then totally ignored me and my family all night. As a CM, I had to leave a mandatory 18% tip, well, until I went to the manager about her service and attitude towards me and my family. If she just treated me like a guest, I would not have said a word to the manager.

She couldn't have been that good of a server.

In a place like Cape May, They turn over tables at a rate of once a hour, my guess is that she would have had 6 tables at an average of $100 a table (which is probably really low). My guess is she should have been getting a minimum of $60 (10%) an hour in tips. Even after tipping out the bus staff (if she had to) she had to be pulling $30-$40 an hour.

Once I took my family to Cape May, I had the worst server who told me how overpaid us bus drivers were and then totally ignored me and my family all night. As a CM, I had to leave a mandatory 18% tip, well, until I went to the manager about her service and attitude towards me and my family. If she just treated me like a guest, I would not have said a word to the manager.

The point of the lawsuit though is that she claims she wasn't assigned to wait tables at least 80% of the time. It doesn't matter how much she actually made in tips - if only 79% of her time was spent waiting, then she should have been paid actual minimum wage rather than tipped minimum wage. This is what the original lawsuit (at Tony's I believe) alleged as well

jerrycolona_flandtheater.jpg
Okie dokie...

What was wrong with their old heads?

The point of the lawsuit though is that she claims she wasn't assigned to wait tables at least 80% of the time. It doesn't matter how much she actually made in tips - if only 79% of her time was spent waiting, then she should have been paid actual minimum wage rather than tipped minimum wage. This is what the original lawsuit (at Tony's I believe) alleged as well

Exactly...the point is that they do this all the time...

You don't have to make $60 an hour off overpriced tips from buffets...

But they should pay you the meager minimum wage if you aren't making tips...

Disney has messed with this over the years more than anything...there are bigger morale/economic/workforce issue at work here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter