***** New September 2013 Thread *****

I took my ds 3yrs ago & am going back in sept this yr. both times I made him save his allowance and we put it in his bank account. He has to use his own money on things he wants. It's a good way to teach them responsibility. I think your idea is great.

That is excellent. Usually if they buy stuff at Disney they have to spend their allowance, but since when we have APs we go so often, we don't buy a lot of souvenirs because they can really add up when you're going once a week or for an overnight every other week. So I tend to say "no" to souvenirs a lot.

But like I said, this is a special trip-- we haven't been there since last Sept, and they're picking up extra chores now so I can work overtime this month/next month and pay off the trip, so I thought a little fund each would be a nice reward for their pitching in.

So-- opinions are wanted.

We were going to start a little souvanier fund for each individual child. This is kind of a special trip-- we usually just do day trips or weekend camp outs or *maybe* occasionally go to an all star resort for a weekend. This is our first actual week-long trip, moderate resort, etc...

So we wanted to set a little set aside each week in pocket change so when they go there they don't have to beg us, they have their own spending money (which also imposes their own spending limits, lol).

We were wondering if we should give them
- cash
- gift cards
- Disney dollars (something we've heard of but never used, but can they be used just about any Disney store? It might be a fun option)

My husband also considered pre-paid Visa cards or something but I don't even know if they'd be old enough/allowed to use those.

They're 10+ so they have their own wallets/bags and can handle their own register purchases, that's why we want to give them their own little 'fund' but we're not sure how to present it, how it would be most convenient.

I think we are going to go with the gift card for each of ours. We are surprising our kids with the trip the day we leave. So, I won't have a reason to make them save their money! :) But if I give them a set amount on a gift card it will be easier, I think.

We NEVER go anywhere. This is going to be such a huge surprise and they are going to be so overwhelmed. They have never been to Disney, on an airplane OR even stayed in a hotel before and our kids are 16,12, and 10! :rolleyes:

Yippee! We just booked our trip for 9/23-9/28 and we're staying at Pop Century. Now I get to spend the rest of the evening making ADR's. :banana:

We were just at POR in January, and that's where my DW wants to go once again! I just "bought" free airline tickets to Orlando for 9/21 - 9/29 using credit card points. When free dining comes out I will book POR. Our 20th anniversary is this summer, which we will celebrate a bit late due to my job.

Anyone else going in September 2013?

Have you booked, and are you celebrating anything special? :-)

September 2013 WDW! :-)

We are going the week of the 7th-15th, wrapping around DCL for the 15th -19th. Celebrating my graduation from college as a non-traditional student (that means I'm old LOL)

We booked a 2bdrm at BLT until the 14th and at AoA for the 14th. We are soooo excited. It's only our second trip to WDW and we are doing it all the way this time. Yes, we will be going to the dark side for a couple of days since my daughter is a major HP fan.

We are becoming totally obsessed with the whole thing. Shoot, just booking an ADR gave me a huge rush LOL!

Disney sure does make magic happen -- WE LOVE YOU WALT!

My future wife and I will be going Sept 22-30. (wedding date 9/21)

We have a Honeymoon Suite at WL booked.

And since it'll be her birthday while we're there, we're going to Victoria&Alberts for her birthday! I wasn't able to get the Chef's Table, but got the Queen Victoria dining room, and I'm on the wait list for the Chef's Table!

So-- opinions are wanted.

We were going to start a little souvanier fund for each individual child. This is kind of a special trip-- we usually just do day trips or weekend camp outs or *maybe* occasionally go to an all star resort for a weekend. This is our first actual week-long trip, moderate resort, etc...

So we wanted to set a little set aside each week in pocket change so when they go there they don't have to beg us, they have their own spending money (which also imposes their own spending limits, lol).

We were wondering if we should give them
- cash
- gift cards
- Disney dollars (something we've heard of but never used, but can they be used just about any Disney store? It might be a fun option)

My husband also considered pre-paid Visa cards or something but I don't even know if they'd be old enough/allowed to use those.

They're 10+ so they have their own wallets/bags and can handle their own register purchases, that's why we want to give them their own little 'fund' but we're not sure how to present it, how it would be most convenient.

This vacation is my kids first time, they are 7 & 2(they will both turn 8&3 a few days after we come home.) Anyway, about a month ago(arriving in September as well), I found pictures of disney dollars online. I printed them out(again, these were just pictures, not the real deal). Then, I told them every time they did something nice or something I liked I would give them a "disney dollar". They have $150 to earn between the both of them. So far they have earned them by sharing their toys, doing homework without arguing, or saying something nice or sweet, etc.
a week or so before we leave I will take the "disney dollars" they earned from the last 6months and put real money on a gift card, and that will b their money for souvenirs.
So far my son(7) has earned $15 and my daughter ha earned $7

This vacation is my kids first time, they are 7 & 2(they will both turn 8&3 a few days after we come home.) Anyway, about a month ago(arriving in September as well), I found pictures of disney dollars online. I printed them out(again, these were just pictures, not the real deal). Then, I told them every time they did something nice or something I liked I would give them a "disney dollar". They have $150 to earn between the both of them. So far they have earned them by sharing their toys, doing homework without arguing, or saying something nice or sweet, etc.
a week or so before we leave I will take the "disney dollars" they earned from the last 6months and put real money on a gift card, and that will b their money for souvenirs.
So far my son(7) has earned $15 and my daughter ha earned $7

That's a brilliant idea, what a great way to do it. Thanks!

Hi this is my first time posting on any of these boards. This will be mine and my husband's second time going to Disney World. Our first time was in December 2012 for Christmas. We had a blast and it was just the two of us. Our 9 year old didn't want to go because he didn't want to miss school. So cute but who does that. :rotfl2: So since we got back we are going through withdrawls. So we decided to do milestone birthday's as a good way to *justify* going back to Disney. So 1st up is our son's 10th birthday. We are leaving friday the 13th around 9 pm for a 12 hour drive. He has know idea that we are going. We went around and around about how to tell him and we decided that once he is asleep he stays asleep (in the car), so why not drive all night and wake him up by saying SURPRISE we are in Disney for your birthday week. :cake: So we are coming September 14-20 2013. Oh did I mention it's also his 1st trip. He is (along with us) a big Pooh fan. So we booked for his actual birthday September 15 a breakfast at Crystal Palace with the Winnie the Pooh characters. We also have Chef Mickey's and Tuskers planned. We also will be doing the TSDP, are there any suggestions on places to eat that we missed? Also any tips on making this not only the best birthday trip but the most exciting 1st trip? Thank you for any input.

mjmpoohfamily said:
We also will be doing the TSDP, are there any suggestions on places to eat that we missed? Also any tips on making this not only the best birthday trip but the most exciting 1st trip? Thank you for any input.

So exciting! After yearly trips to Disneyland we're making our first trip to WDW...be there in September also!

Our DD will have her birthday while we're there so I found out a few details...

You can order your room to be decorated...or you can also order a cake to be made for your DS birthday. There is an entire thread dedicated to the cake ordering info!
I spoke with a CM over the phone who told us that we have to have a birthday button made for our DD that she can wear the entire time we're there. (I have seen CMs in the park at DL make a really big deal of kids wearing birthday buttons!) We have dinner reservations at CRT as you have CP so I think you will have an amazing/special/spectacular vacation! Have so much fun!!

Hi this is my first time posting on any of these boards. This will be mine and my husband's second time going to Disney World. Our first time was in December 2012 for Christmas. We had a blast and it was just the two of us. Our 9 year old didn't want to go because he didn't want to miss school. So cute but who does that. :rotfl2: So since we got back we are going through withdrawls. So we decided to do milestone birthday's as a good way to *justify* going back to Disney. So 1st up is our son's 10th birthday. We are leaving friday the 13th around 9 pm for a 12 hour drive. He has know idea that we are going. We went around and around about how to tell him and we decided that once he is asleep he stays asleep (in the car), so why not drive all night and wake him up by saying SURPRISE we are in Disney for your birthday week. :cake: So we are coming September 14-20 2013. Oh did I mention it's also his 1st trip.

I just hope you son has changed his mind about missing school or do you have a holiday in Sept.? It would be sad if you made all these great plans and he didn't want to go. Here's hoping it is magical!:wizard:

FWIW - my kids always skipped school for family trips to Europe and yes, WDW too, as traveling off-season was always more affordable.

My future wife and I will be going Sept 22-30. (wedding date 9/21)

We have a Honeymoon Suite at WL booked.

And since it'll be her birthday while we're there, we're going to Victoria&Alberts for her birthday! I wasn't able to get the Chef's Table, but got the Queen Victoria dining room, and I'm on the wait list for the Chef's Table!

Congratulations!! I'm so jealous...would've LOVED to honeymoon at WDW. At the time we were flat broke...guess with this being my 7th trip we've more than made up for it!!

Have a great honeymoon!! :thumbsup2

Congratulations!! I'm so jealous...would've LOVED to honeymoon at WDW. At the time we were flat broke...guess with this being my 7th trip we've more than made up for it!!

Have a great honeymoon!! :thumbsup2

We had a backyard wedding just so we could afford a WDW honeymoon! Lol. Since we already had a house we asked for Disney or visa gift cards & we got plenty of those to use on our trip! We have been back every year since for our anniversary, this will be our 5 th anniversary!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Last week I couldn't help myself and got the Disney visa. Got it in the mail today!! Only 4 months to go!!

We had a backyard wedding just so we could afford a WDW honeymoon! Lol. Since we already had a house we asked for Disney or visa gift cards & we got plenty of those to use on our trip! We have been back every year since for our anniversary, this will be our 5 th anniversary!

We're asking for Disney Gift Cards also. They'll help pay for souvenirs, and the tips and wine at dinners that the DDP won't cover!

That's a wonderful idea! When we got married back yard weddings were unheard of...even outdoor weddings in general were rare. If we had it to do over.....we would DEFINITELY have a small backyard wedding and GO TO WDW!! Hmm, our 25th is only 9 years away....I'm thinking maybe that would be a good time to renew our vows...AT WDW!:thumbsup2

Nothing is better then waking up to Disney Visa Cardholders free dining!! Can not wait till its released Thursday to the public. We don't use credit cards so u have to wait. But I'm so frippin excited!!!!!

Just booked free dining! Little mermaid rooms are indeed excluded so we upgraded to a standard view room at POFQ!!!!!!

Yippee!! Just modified our existing reservation, and saved $950!!! Let go of our resort pin code offer, and added the free dining! Happy happy!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter