NEW Eastern Itinerary Info

We have reservations on the 9/18/04 cruise and this is the itinerary we got from DCL

Sat PORT CANAVERAL 05:00 pm
Sun SEA
Mon SEA
Tue ANTIGUA 08:30 am 05:30 pm
Wed ST THOMAS 07:30 am 04:15 pm
Thu SEA
Fri CASTAWAY CAY 09:30 am 04:30 pm
Sat PORT CANAVERAL 08:30 am

Hmmm, this could change my plans to cruise next May. I've always wanted to take DH to San Juan (I was there several years ago on a business trip, and I'd love to go back). This could be a very tough choice...cruise for my birthday or cruise to San Juan?

Beth

on our 5/24 Magic cruise, 2 days at sea was enough. on the second day at sea, the rain was heavy, most people were indoors, and by midday it was very clear that there was a severe lack of activities. I can't imagine 3 days at sea on a 7 day cruise.

Originally posted by SlyHubby
I can't imagine 3 days at sea on a 7 day cruise.
I thought that starting with two full days at sea and having another full day at sea before Castaway Cay was great! (That was on the Eastern itinerary Disney Magic.)

There's a reason for two full days at sea. It's a long way from Port Canaveral to islands such as St. Maarten or Antigua — and ships aren't that fast.

That's why 7-night cruises can have better destinations than 3- and 4-night cruises.

You all missed on the real reason for the run direct to St. Thomas.

NO IMMIGRATION!!!!

It's about time. If we didn't already have heavy plans for next year, we'd be on one of those for sure :)

I thought that St. Thomas was where everyone had to report in the morning to Immigration whether you were leaving the ship or not. Did I misunderstand something I read previously?

The reason you had to go through immegration in St. Thomas was because you were going back into the US after being in St. Maarten. If the ship goes straight from Port Canaveral to St. Thomas you never left the US so no immegration!

When you are, in our opinion, going from port to port you hardly have any time to just sit back relax. The three days we had at sea were packed with stuff to do on board. We sat around the pools and relaxed, sat on the comfy lounge chairs on deck 4, went to the kitchen/gallery tour, my dad saw a movie, etc.

My family all agree that the 3 days at sea are great and should continue. Of course, this is just our opinions. ;)

In fact I would like even better a nine or ten day cruise with five sea days! When you bounce from port to port you don't get to relax. That was the one drawback on the western for us.

I just tried to get a quote through Dreams Unlimited for the 9/4/04 cruise to St. Thomas/San Juan. It doesn't have that date listed.

I sent them an email about it. Hopefully, I can get a quote soon as we are VERY interested in San Juan. (IMHO, you can KEEP St. Maarten - UGH)!

FOJMO, that will get corrected today so please do check back later! :)

My first cruise (1991-non-disney), went out of San Juan, and had no sea days (7 days) and you got off at a different Island every day. It was fun, but you always seemed to be rushing, off to do tours, on before the ship left. When I was on the Magic in March, I wondered, what do you do on the boat at sea.
Lots, I would not give up a sea day for anything. Even just to relax and exjoy the sunshine, those Sea days are the best. I like the idea of San Juan (very nice place to visit would like to go back) and Antigua, very nice place to visit and if I'm remembering correctly they have 365 beachs.

We went on the Western 7 day last year and enjoyed it, but now I am very excited about getting 3 days at sea on the Eastern next year.

Just wondering, what is there to see at Antigua besides beaches (we aren't really into beaches). When we talked about doing the Eastern Cruise, the one thing I thought we would enjoy was the butterfly farm at St. Maarten. Now we won't be stopping there. So I am wondering if there is anything interesting to see, like a zoo or historical site.

DJ

I'm trying to do this from memory, but I believe we went on a glass bottom boat, then hired a cab and did an Island Tour. The downtown had some really interesting shops and very good deals on Batik Fabric. We got to see the Sugar Mill house (someone built a house atop an abandoned Sugar Mill. There were some other tours, not just beaches. I am 1/4 in Florida and 3/4 in Minnesota right now, so I can't get my hands on everything.

Maybe I can talk DH into booking another while we're on the ship. :tongue:

I LIKE St. Maarten. We have booked the Eastern again. This will be our third visit there. I am glad it will still be on our Magic itinerary. Great shopping, nice beaches and (no flames) nice people. Spent four days in Puerto Rico and I thought San Juan was the least interesting place on the island. The best places, Culebra and El Junque (sp?) are a trek from SJ. Just too 'American' of a place for me to ever want to return, especially in the same itinerary with St Thomas. The hotels are huge, gambling centered, and the beaches pretty poor compared to a lot of the Carribean. Plus I find Antigua a bit suspect. Unless things have changed markedly in the last few years, this place has one of the most corrupt governments in the islands. (Though it is beautiful). I would hate all the Magic itineraries to omit "foreign" ports of call, or only visit the places that do not seem at all "Third World" to protect the sensitivities of crabby cruisers.
:( :( :( :(

I have never been to San Juan. Is there a lot to do there and is it nice? How does it compare to say, Cozumel?

Originally posted by GOOFY D
I have never been to San Juan. Is there a lot to do there and is it nice? How does it compare to say, Cozumel?

San Juan seems to have a lot of interesting history to it. I'd love to see it! Unfortunately, the dates set for next year just don't work for us :(

I've wanted to go back to San Juan. They day I went, I was suffering from Sun Poisoning and not up to walking. I did the Bacardi Rum tour and El Morro, which were very interesting. There was also a Rain Forest tour. Not as much good shopping at least at that time (1992) as there were on the other islands I stopped on. I haven't been to Cozumel yet. I will be doing that in February on a non-Disney cruise. But I wish it was Disney. But its a big group of people from Minnesota, so I won't have to fly home this winter to see them all.

I agree with the St Maarten opinion. We love it there. We don't even want to get off the ship in St Thomas anymore. The prices are just as good in St. Maarten, but the people are so much nicer. Our taxi driver in St Maaretn was so helpful and he practically drove us around all day...(ship to Orient beach to Marigot back to ship) He also warned us of the people in St Thomas. He was right...rude rude rude. One of our family members taxi drivers made them stop at a KFC because he was hungry! That was so rude. I hope they do not take St Maarten off the itinerary for good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter