New Blog: Starbucks to Replace the Main Street Bakery at Magic Kingdom

Walt's entire reasoning for building WDW and buying the vast amount of land he bought was to prevent this very thing. He believed commercialization disrupted his fantasy worlds. Did Starbucks exist in Marceline, Missouri at the turn of the century? No.
This is a disgusting deviation from everything the Magic Kingdom was designed for. I say we boycott this and demand the return of Main Street Bakery.

Bad, Bad move Disney. Starbucks burnt coffee in WDW.... Million will love, love, love this!

BUT to REPLACE a Disney Icon with a national chain...ON MAIN STREET... You, Disney are sending us your message loud and clear. For that, we thank you.

Our trip is cancelled

Walt's entire reasoning for building WDW and buying the vast amount of land he bought was to prevent this very thing. He believed commercialization disrupted his fantasy worlds. Did Starbucks exist in Marceline, Missouri at the turn of the century? No.
This is a disgusting deviation from everything the Magic Kingdom was designed for. I say we boycott this and demand the return of Main Street Bakery.

I am glad that I am not the only one that does not like this idea! I am for the boycott.

I'm so excited that they finally annouced dates/locations just wish they were opening sooner. :thumbsup2

dvcblt93 said:
Disneyland - Walts park - Opening day.

No bake shop!

There was however...the "MAXWELL COFFEE HOUSE".

:confused3

Wow, I did not know that. I stand corrected.
I have read more and now realize that the Main Street Bakery is, basically, staying, just offering Starbucks coffee with the same baked offerings of the Main Street Bakery. I guess I can live with that. Still don't like it, though.

Someone on the camping board mentioned they use to serve McDonald's French Fries inside the MK. I actually do not see serving Starbucks coffee any different than serving Coca Cola or Pepsi products. It's just a name brand drink. I also don't like plain coffee, I rather have a mocha latte or specialty drink so I for one would buy from Starbucks in the MK. Main street is a good location because as the wives and kids save the parade spots, dad can run in and get coffee and hot chocolate.

collegeprogram01 said:
I cant see Disney going through with this...I work for the company and they always preach upholding the magic and the disney feel...starbucks has nothing like that....mainstreet is suppose to be themed after a 1920 small town...the last time i checked there were no starbucks in the 20's!

They did it! :(

I don't mind serving Starbucks but I don't want a big sign to see while walking down Main Street. If what I saw on line was taken from Mainstreet there is a big Starbucks sign. That would be very sad.

All you naysayers need to stop and think. They arent going to make the bakery into a starbucks shop with a green awning. It will basically stay what it looks like with starbucks coffee. They just finished a refirbishment on all of main street this year on all the buildings...Disney has done studies and has probably learned that many peopke go off grounds to get starbucks coffee. In Disney's eyes why not keep the people on the grounds and give them what they want. Only logical... Every year we recieve a survey and one question is what would you like to see Disney have. I am sure many people say starbucks coffee. They are only give what the customers want. It is a business decision but ine that benefits the conusmers as well. I say great job Disney and keep up the great work!!

Somewhat depressing news. My real fear though was that they were going to change the outside. As long as the look and feel of Main Street stays in tact I'll be alright. But they need to hold on to those ham and cheese croissants. If they go I'll be so sad!

Someone mentioned the long lines flooding out onto Main St. for coffee. Really hope that doesn't happen.

The vast majority of the complainers on here clearly haven't seen what the BV Street location is like at Californa Adventure, and probably won't bother to look. It looks nothing like a Starbucks - It won't destroy the magic any more than the 30million Coca Cola or Dasani logos you see on bottles all day in every park...

The legitimate argument I've seen is the crowding, but Disney has always been righteous with their crowd planning, so I don't think it's going to be ridiculous - they're all faster to get than some of the QS locations like Pecos Bills et al...

This is a great move for coffee lovers everywhere and I for one am looking forward to what they do on the interior to bring it into the fold like they did in Cali.

Starbucks press release:
http://news.starbucks.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=649

Apr 23, 2012
The Starbucks Experience Comes to Disney Theme Parks

First of six locations to debut at Disney California Adventure this June

SEATTLE & LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla., April 23, 2012 - Starbucks Coffee Company (NASDAQ: SBUX) and Walt Disney Parks and Resorts today announced that Starbucks will soon be available at all Disney theme parks at Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, Calif., and Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

This summer, the first of six Starbucks cafés will open at Disney California Adventure. The additional stores are planned for Disneyland Park and Walt Disney World Resort, including locations at Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

“Starbucks and Disney have many things in common,” said Arthur Rubinfeld, president, Global Development, for Starbucks. “We share a passion for providing excellent customer service, delivering high quality in everything we do, and ensuring that every experience with our brand exceeds our customers’ expectations. This is something our customers and partners (employees) have asked for through MyStarbucksIdea.com since the site launched more than four years ago, so we are pleased to bring this idea to life.”

Starbucks is not completely new to Disney. In June 2009, the company opened a store in Disney Village at Disneyland Paris, which has become a guest favorite.

At Disney California Adventure, Starbucks will be located in the Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Café on Buena Vista Street, a place that transports guests to 1920s Los Angeles when Walt Disney arrived in California and a cup of coffee was the perfect way to jumpstart a busy day. The store’s location plays off the Spanish/Mexican architecture of the period, and baristas will wear 1920s-inspired attire.

The café will serve Starbucks items including coffee and espresso beverages, Frappuccino® blended beverages, and signature breakfast sandwiches and pastries. Guests also will have their choice of Disney favorites, including signature sandwiches and other items, as well as delicious desserts and sweet treats.

“We know food and beverage offerings are an important part of the memories our guests make at Disney Parks and now they will be able to enjoy their favorite Starbucks® beverage as part of their experience,” said Maribeth Bisienere, vice president, food and beverage line of business for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “Many of our guests have shared their passion for Starbucks with us, and we look forward to making their feedback a reality as we debut the first location at Disney California Adventure.”

About Starbucks Coffee Company

Since 1971, Starbucks Coffee Company has been committed to ethically sourcing and roasting the highest-quality arabica coffee in the world. Today, with stores around the globe, the company is the premier roaster and retailer of specialty coffee in the world. Through our unwavering commitment to excellence and our guiding principles, we bring the unique Starbucks Experience to life for every customer through every cup. To share in the experience, please visit us in our stores or online at www.starbucks.com.

About Walt Disney Parks and Resorts

More than 50 years ago, Walt Disney created a new kind of entertainment families could experience together, immersed in detailed atmospheres and vibrant storytelling. His vision now includes a collection of five of the world’s leading family vacation destinations – Disneyland Resort, Anaheim, Calif.; Walt Disney World Resort, Lake Buena Vista, Fla.; Tokyo Disney Resort, Urayasu, Chiba, Japan; Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallée, France; and Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, located on Lantau Island. A sixth resort, Shanghai Disney Resort, is currently under construction in Pudong New District, Shanghai. In addition, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts includes the world-class Disney Cruise Line; Disney Vacation Club; Adventures by Disney, a guided group vacation experience to some of the world’s most popular destinations; and Walt Disney Imagineering, which creates and designs all Disney parks, resorts, cruise ships, entertainment and attractions.

This is so sad. :sad: Main street is supposed to represent Walts home town and not a commercial area! Just serve starbucks coffee inside and don't change the outside! Keep it Main Street Bakery!!! This is NOT what Walt would have wanted. I guess there are a lot of petitions going around to boycott this idea! I will GLADLY sign one. ::yes::

franchescadisney said:
This is so sad. :sad: Main street is supposed to represent Walts home town and not a commercial area! Just serve starbucks coffee inside and don't change the outside! Keep it Main Street Bakery!!! This is NOT what Walt would have wanted. I guess there are a lot of petitions going around to boycott this idea! I will GLADLY sign one. ::yes::

I totally agree. I am hoping the outside will still look the same but the Starbucks is available inside. But would Starbucks allow that?

I'm pretty sure the entirety of the bakery will remain the same (exterior and most interior area). My biggest issue, as is others', is the growing lines and food. The bakery is already jam packed throughout the day, and we're lucky the line doesn't extend outside. With the whole allure of Starbucks however, I'm sure the lines and seating will stretch beyond their capacity (I've seen lines of 60 at my college's Starbucks while much cheaper, and better, coffee is available right next to it). I'm truly hopeful the good ole baked goods will remain in tact, but I'm sure some sort of dent will be put into them to accompany Starbucks own scones and muffins. Personally I have no problem drinking the Nescafe they have now. Sure, its not great, but Starbucks black coffee is worlds worse (I'd much prefer them serving Dunkin Donuts coffee :thumbsup2 ).

I totally agree. I am hoping the outside will still look the same but the Starbucks is available inside. But would Starbucks allow that?

I think that Starbucks would be okay with it as long as the window said "We proudly serve Starbucks Coffee" like I have seen other places. I just don't want the iconic Main Street Bakery turned into a Starbucks that you can see on any other corner in America. Keep it Main Street Bakery!!

Corporate sponsorship and logos on MK's Main Street is nothing new. From the very beginning Disney has had corporate sponsorship on Main Street and elsewhere in MK. The ice cream parlor has had various sponsors with their logos on the inside and outside of the parlor. Nestlé's logo used to be on the signs of every venue where coffee was sold. The photo store has had both the Kodak and Fuji Film logos on it over the years. Disney says the Starbucks version of the bakery will continue the Main Street theme. I'm sure the company will stay true to its word.

Let's not forget that Walt built DL with corporate sponsorship of the park and many of its origin components.

Disneyland - Walts park - Opening day.

No bake shop!

There was however...the "MAXWELL COFFEE HOUSE".

:confused3

Great point. Although I am for Starbucks in Disney and was sad for them putting it in the iconic location, I suppose it is for the best. I mean, in DCA they don't even call it Starbucks but the Fiddle, Fiffer, and Pratical Cafe. It does not scream Starbucks chain which I am sure will be the same at Magic Kingdom. I am sure they will keep all the iconic food items. Yes, the long lines will be disappointing, but I'd rather have better coffee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter