New Blog: Starbucks to Replace the Main Street Bakery at Magic Kingdom

Synonymous said:
This is an absolutely terrible idea. There is a Starbucks on every street corner everywhere in the country. Magic Kingdom is supposed to be special and magical. There is absolutely nothing magical about yet another Starbucks.

Totally agree with this my DS actually noticed and counted just how many Starbucks there were between our house and the mall when he was 4. There were 7 then and 9 now!

Synonymous said:
This is an absolutely terrible idea. There is a Starbucks on every street corner everywhere in the country. Magic Kingdom is supposed to be special and magical. There is absolutely nothing magical about yet another Starbucks.

I 100% agree with this. Starbucks has no place at Magic Kingdom period! I HATE THIS IDEA!

I was disgusted when I was first reading this. :furious: I still don't like it but have calmed down a little. However, if they do it and don't disturb the Main Street theme, I guess I can't complain.

Think about it this way. The title is basically this if I read correctly:

" A Starbucks is coming to MK" (i know that is not exact words)

or this sounds better:

"Main Street Bakery to now serve Starbucks coffee"

I probably would have thought it better if it was like that. It just like a MK restaurant serving Coke like someone said earlier. Of course, Coke on main street makes sense. lol. I just hope Disney does this right, where we dont see a big lit up sight that says Starbucks Coffee, which I don't think will happen.

Yay, better coffee, and I am confident it will still retains its current look at the location.

I am not a big fan of starbucks either but like others have said just brew their
coffee and sell it in the bakery if need be. The bakery has to much nostalgia and has brought so many great memories to Disney people to be changed.
I agree with the old noodle station as a great place to get a hot cup of starbucks coffee. There is also far more seating in this facility to sit down with your coffee .
Hopefully the Disney team will do the right thing to help keep the Magic alive and well for the future.

I wish they would confirm that we can still get our Disney baked goods. That is part of the entire experience and something we really look forward to. From the article it does not seem like the one at DCA serves Disney goodies (except the mass-produced Mickey cookies)

:sad2: :sad1: :confused:

The "purist" sentiment here is a little misplaced (i often fall in that category...but not here)

1. Disney's coffee sucks...whether you like starbucks or not, that is a fact. So if they manage to integrate starbucks product into a disney quick location without it looking like one of the kiosks in Penn Station...so be it.

2. The problem at WDW...since AK opened and continuing for the forseeable future...is labor.
They do not have a pool of labor that will work for minimum wage and reduced benefits and be good enough to sell the product. This is has been a snowball rolling down the mountain since the early 1990s.
So if they cannot staff what they have - they cannot add in the future.

That is the bottomline.
And speaking of bottomline - that is why they will have to move towards more outsourcing....because they don't supply the employees.

On one hand, you gotta hate it...but on the other hand...it is one path to further development and expansion
Obviously, they've boned pleasure island....but they've also done well to use outside vendors in other areas that haven't been very noticable (epcot restaurants...coronado springs...etc)

But at the end of the day...they sign a deal to bring in a vendor, imagineering builds it and maintains it, they provide the third party employees with a nametag, an id, and park "benefits" that actually make them money. Good deal...don't write the payroll checks...collect fees...profit with minor overhead.

As long as its upstanding operations....such as Patina and Starbucks...there is not really an issue.

The McDonalds fri shacks...on the otherhand...bad idea

I wish they would confirm that we can still get our Disney baked goods. That is part of the entire experience and something we really look forward to. From the article it does not seem like the one at DCA serves Disney goodies (except the mass-produced Mickey cookies)

:sad2: :sad1: :confused:

Disney baked goods are made in centralized distribution locations and have been for years...
I don't see there being any issue with them still distributing to a starbucks run operation unless starbucks was adamant that they had to sell their own mass produced and disributed stuff...
but i'm sure that was offset with a small residual cut on a HUGE volume that they will do 365 days a year.

Wouldn't worry about that

I don't mind serving Starbucks but I don't want a big sign to see while walking down Main Street. If what I saw on line was taken from Mainstreet there is a big Starbucks sign. That would be very sad.

according to a link on this thread of a picture of the Starbucks at another theme park the building itself held true to the theming of its surrounding...except the huge neon lit up star bucks sign on the front of it...not cool and definitely something I don't think Walt would agree with...it will be a very sad day for mainstreet if this happens.

collegeprogram01 said:
according to a link on this thread of a picture of the Starbucks at another theme park the building itself held true to the theming of its surrounding...except the huge neon lit up star bucks sign on the front of it...not cool and definitely something I don't think Walt would agree with...it will be a very sad day for mainstreet if this happens.

That wasn't from Disney! The SB at DL blends in so well many people walk right by it! It also retained its original name and they added a small SB to the wall

I couldn't agree more!! This is terrible, I absolutely love the Bakery, it is our first stop every time we go into the Magic Kingdom. :sad1:

I do love Starbucks , I just don't agree with taking away that Bakery. Can you imagine the lines???!! I've got 5 Starbucks within 2 miles of my home and the lines are constantly out the door. I can't imagine what it would be like at the magic kingdom and plus those drinks take LOTS of time to make.

I love Starbucks but IMO it has no business on Main Street. I personally love the Coffee at the hotels not to mention the hot chocolate. Regardless I would prefer to see Starbucks come to the hotels then the Magic Kingdom. Epcot fine by me, Studios go for it, DAK by all means. Main Street no way!!!!!

I REALLY think the point is being missed here...

this is about shedding labor as much if not more than any kind of revenue scheme. Get used to it...because its going to increase.

But its not necessarily a bad thing.

The other thing i don't get here is the "not on main street" thought...

What exactly is sacred? The shops have been gutted/combined and filled with walmart grade junk. The employee caliber (and i used to be one so this is not an insult...just experience and a statement of fact) has declined over time, and the food items have become streamlined to a great extent and while some have maintained taste-many have declined.

So why, again, is there so much lament for "Main Street"? It still is a great place and looks good...but it is far from the quality of opening day in how they run it.

There is an update posted on the official Disney theme park blog:

UPDATE 11/12: Here’s some additional information about our Walt Disney World Resort Starbucks locations. The Main Street Bakery will keep its name and theming when it reopens in early summer. It’ll also continue to serve Disney favorites like cookies, brownies and seasonal cupcakes, in addition to Starbucks signature beverages and other items. And for those of you who asked in comments, the cinnamon rolls are available at Gaston’s Tavern in New Fantasyland, and the ice cream sandwiches are available at Plaza Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street, U.S.A.

As we announced earlier this year, six Starbucks locations are planned at Disney Parks in Florida and California. In June, the first Starbucks location opened at Disney California Adventure park in the Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Café and is already a guest favorite.

Did I actually read the words "commercialization of Main Street" somewhere in this thread?

:rotfl2:

Frankly I don't see how this is any different than selling Nestle Mickey Ice Cream Bars or any of the souvenir junk on Main St. I doubt turn-of-the-century Marceline had balloon vendors, costumed characters or shops filled with Vinylmation figures & iPhone cases. That ship sailed looooooong ago.

BTW, historians may remember that the Maxwell House Coffee House was an opening day venue at Disneyland. Later renamed Hills Bros Coffee House.

Carnation Cafe--as in Carnation Milk--is still open today. Carnation is now owned by Nestle, and Nestle's name is splashed across numerous dining venues at Disneyland.

Does anyone else agree that Starbucks is only one notch higher on the "Coffee Scale of Taste" than the Nescafe they're serving now? Starbucks black coffee is horrible, almost as bad as Nescafe.

The only "positive" side is that their specialty drinks (Mochas, Fraps, etc.) will be made there, and the only thing that makes those taste better is a heck of a lot of sugar, cream, and syrups...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter