Narcoossees compared to red lobster?

I read stuff like this all the time. Le Cellier is apparently just like Outback Steakhouse, and the California Grill is just like Denny's, etc., etc. Some of these folks, I think, might truly be super-experienced foodies with offended palletes, but others are just posing.

Sure, Disney restaurants (and especially Disney hotels) are costlier than they would otherwise be and maybe a star or two off overrated in the grand scheme of things, but... come on.

Someone said California Grille was like Denny's???? Now I want to know what they ordered! :rotfl:

I read stuff like this all the time. Le Cellier is apparently just like Outback Steakhouse, and the California Grill is just like Denny's, etc., etc. Some of these folks, I think, might truly be super-experienced foodies with offended palletes, but others are just posing.

Sure, Disney restaurants (and especially Disney hotels) are costlier than they would otherwise be and maybe a star or two off overrated in the grand scheme of things, but... come on.

I unfortunately went with a "foodie" last year. I went out of my way to get some really great places to eat dinner, and not one was "up to her standards."

There is no pleasing some people, either that or she was showing off to my other traveling companion.

I can see the similarities between Outback and Le Cellier, but comparing California Grill to Denny's? That's just absurd.

I think a few of the previous posters are right. There is no pleasing certain people. There is also a preconceived notion that Disney dining is unsophisticated and pedestrian. Certain anti-Disney foodies come into the meals expecting stereotypical "theme park" food and are too snobbish to acknowledge that Disney is no ordinary theme park.

Their loss.

Narcoosee's is much better than Red Lobster. We had a lovely evening at Narcoosee's a few months ago.

Having said that, we now avoid the Maine lobster (which ordinarily we love). Since the advent of DDP and free dining, we've noticed the lobsters are smaller than they used to be and tend to be on the tough side. Moreover, last time I checked they were $59 for one lobster. This, while there is an oversupply of lobsters, and nice ones can be had for less than $10 at my neighborhood grocery!

If we want Maine Lobster, we go to Shula's. At Narcoosee's we stick with other menu items, and we've been pleased.

For the record, I've never seen anyone compare CG to Denny's on these boards. That may have been an attempt to provide an example of how posters do comparisons, rather than actual comparison made by an actual poster.

In any event, we've very much enjoyed CG as well. Jiko is our favorite. We're not thrilled with Artist Point these days. Citrico's is nice, but often unrelentingly noisy (as is CG). We haven't tried Flying Fish in years.

Yachtsman is fine, but we always choose Shula's instead because Yachtsman has reduced their menu choices so much, again since the advent of the DDP and centralized ordering.

We've never been terribly impressed with Le Cellier and think that it is popular simply because one can get a steak there for one DDP TS credit. For one thing, we always feel it is so crowded I might as well be sitting in the lap of the diner at the next table. Actually, pretty much all of the World Showcase restaurants are that way these days. They've added so many tables to take care of DDP demand, that none of them (with the exception of Marrakesh) is terribly comfortable in terms of seating anymore.

I've read on the boards someone saying Narcoossees was similar to a red lobster...is this the case? I have adr's for both Citricos and Narcoosees for an anniversary dinner (just me and dh) and was leaning toward Narcoosees b/c the menu looked more appealing to me, but I don't want to necessarily go to a place that is just like red lobster. Anyone care to weigh in? I need to cancel one or the other...help!

LOL, no it is nothing like Red Lobster. I love Red Lobster, but I think Narcoossees is a million times better.

I've seen that comparison too...a few times as a matter of fact. I honestly, thought to myself, what kind of Red Lobster do you have at home because they are NOTHING alike!

I also don't see the LeCellier and Outback and Tutto Italia and Olive Garden comparisons. I don't know if the chains in our area are just that bad or what but we loved all three Disney restaurants and would never in a million years put them on the same level as the chain places.

Just got an ADR for Narcoosees for a week from now. In my past experience it has been lovely. I'll bet you won't meet both Frankie Avalon and Pee Wee Herman (Paul Reubens) in Red Lobster. But I met them at Narcoosees!!!!

I've compared Le Cellier to Outback- and I stand by it- I think they're both good for what they are, have great bread and good steak, and I can see why people crave them.

Would I wait 2 hrs (or make ADR's 180 days out) to eat at either one of them? No.

But that's JMO, sorry if it comes off as elitist or posing as a foodie.

I love Red Lobster (the crab alfredo and the biscuits) , and had a bad experience at Narcoossee's, so if I had to choose between one of the other, I'd choose RL. When my fish was seriously undercooked at RL (ew), the manager came out immediately, apologized, fixed it, and gave us a free dessert. At Narcoossee's we didn't even see our waiter after our food was ordered.

The ambience and type of food are miles above at Narcoossee's though, I don't think you'll regret it! Next trip we're trying Citricos, that rarely gets negative reviews!

I've compared Le Cellier to Outback- and I stand by it- I think they're both good for what they are, have great bread and good steak, and I can see why people crave them.
I agree with this. I think Le Cellier is just a bit better, but I am partial to the breadsticks, cheddar cheese soup, and maple creme brulee, but as far as the steak goes, it is pretty comparable to Outback. All the really good steaks I've had, have been at the signature restaurants, and those are not comparable to chains IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter