My first time as a "Grown Up!" March 2011

I live on the west coast of canada and have been to WDW 3 times and have seen both canada movies in the pavillion. The original movie they showed was from the early 70's and didn't portray canada in truth. It was all about how we all play hockey and ice fish and other crap like that but the new movie portrays us in a more real light, still a bit cheesy but much better then the original. I agree with you about WDW but you should still check out DL because it is still a good park and CA is pretty cool as well and the world of color is way better seeing it live then on youtube. You also don't need as much time to see everything in both parks, a week at the most is all you need.
Take care and enjoyed reading your TR.

I just found your trip report. I love it so far. I especially like all the great photos you have in your report.

I live on the west coast of canada and have been to WDW 3 times and have seen both canada movies in the pavillion. The original movie they showed was from the early 70's and didn't portray canada in truth. It was all about how we all play hockey and ice fish and other crap like that but the new movie portrays us in a more real light, still a bit cheesy but much better then the original. I agree with you about WDW but you should still check out DL because it is still a good park and CA is pretty cool as well and the world of color is way better seeing it live then on youtube. You also don't need as much time to see everything in both parks, a week at the most is all you need.
Take care and enjoyed reading your TR.

Yay! Good to hear a Canadian's opinion on the Canada movie. You are right, Disneyland isn't terrible...I just have to differentiate it from Disney World, not compare it, and like it for what it is.

Great photo of Mulan! I know what you mean about getting rushed- it happened to us too. At least you got to meet her... I'm jealous! :laughing: I love Mulan too, but we didn't have the time to wait in the long line to meet her. So annoying about having barely any Mulan merchandise, right?! I searched everywhere and all I could find was the things you have.

You're so lucky living in Hawaii- I have always wanted to go there. How many hours is the flight to Florida for you? For us it's nine hours... and that was bad enough! ;)

Can't wait for your next update! :yay:

Dude, I've always wanted to go to England! I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. Not including the hours spent waiting for a connecting flight, it takes about 10 hours for us to get to Florida.

I just found your trip report. I love it so far. I especially like all the great photos you have in your report.

Thanks for joining in!

I read in your TR that you 2 have lime green disneyhead name tags, just wondering where and how you got them. Thanks. Jeff.

I read in your TR that you 2 have lime green disneyhead name tags, just wondering where and how you got them. Thanks. Jeff.

IMG_0655.jpg

Oh, it was really ghetto but it did the job. I grabbed a bunch of LGMH Paint samples from the Home Depot, stuck 2 together, wrote my name on one side and cell phone number on the other. Then I covered the whole thing with tape to ghetto-tasticly "laminate" it. Finally I punched a hole in the thing and strung some yarn through it. Pretty simple really! :)

That is so cool you met another DISer in line for the bus. I think it's hilarious though that you two weren't really having a Disney friendly conversation beforehand :rotfl: Don't worry that sounds exactly like something my family would do too, it really is hard to be Disney friendly 24/7:rolleyes1

So glad you met Mulan too!! She's so awesome, but yeah I hate it when the characters seem rushed. It's kind of annoying they don't feel the need to spend as much time with us older kids!

Hi Kellie,

Your TR is just too funny. :thumbsup2 You and your sister have so much fun. Don't feel sad about being to far from the next visit. Just think...the next time you are at the World, the fantansyland renovation will be complete.

Although I can't imagine to take such long flight to get to the Orlando. The last time I took such long flight was flying from Hong Kong to U.S. I think the entire flight took over 24 hours. We flew from Hong Kong to Japan then to Alaska then to Seattle then to New York.

I think it's great to see an adult able to enjoy the World like a kid. Some time I wish I can do that but I am too busy taking pictures. ;) Then again, people might think I am too creepy. :lmao:

Keep up the good work. You can count on me follow along.

BTW, which part of Hawaii you are living at? I always want to see the Pearl Harbor monument and the volcano. And I love Spam. I heard Hawaii is famous for Spam and egg for breakfast. Is that true??

Hi Kellie! Bookmarking your TR so I can read it later :goodvibes

Thanks for joining in!

That is so cool you met another DISer in line for the bus. I think it's hilarious though that you two weren't really having a Disney friendly conversation beforehand :rotfl: Don't worry that sounds exactly like something my family would do too, it really is hard to be Disney friendly 24/7:rolleyes1

So glad you met Mulan too!! She's so awesome, but yeah I hate it when the characters seem rushed. It's kind of annoying they don't feel the need to spend as much time with us older kids!

I found that the face characters that appeared in pairs (Aladdin/Jasmine, Flynn/Rapunzel, Ariel/Eric) were the ones that didn't rush us along.

Hi Kellie,

Your TR is just too funny. :thumbsup2 You and your sister have so much fun. Don't feel sad about being to far from the next visit. Just think...the next time you are at the World, the fantansyland renovation will be complete.

Although I can't imagine to take such long flight to get to the Orlando. The last time I took such long flight was flying from Hong Kong to U.S. I think the entire flight took over 24 hours. We flew from Hong Kong to Japan then to Alaska then to Seattle then to New York.

I think it's great to see an adult able to enjoy the World like a kid. Some time I wish I can do that but I am too busy taking pictures. ;) Then again, people might think I am too creepy. :lmao:

Keep up the good work. You can count on me follow along.

BTW, which part of Hawaii you are living at? I always want to see the Pearl Harbor monument and the volcano. And I love Spam. I heard Hawaii is famous for Spam and egg for breakfast. Is that true??

I live on Oahu, the same island that Pearl Harbor is on. The active volcano is on the Big Island. Yes, you are correct about the spam! Spam, eggs, and rice are definitely a staple breakfast here. You can even order it at our McDonalds. Although to be honest, I've never cared for spam or rice! When people here find this out, they tell me that I should go move to the Mainland. :rotfl2:

I haven't been on Ellens ride since 1999. I guess I should go on it next trip and see how it is now. My DD or DH have both not been on it. so they might like it....or not. :confused3

I haven't been on Ellens ride since 1999. I guess I should go on it next trip and see how it is now. My DD or DH have both not been on it. so they might like it....or not. :confused3

Maybe you'll like it since it's been so long. It'll feel like a new ride sort of! But not.

Day 6.2

March 20, 2011

So next we backtracked to Norway to ride Maelstrom. There was no line so we walked right on. We also stayed to watch the after ride film because…well…why the heck not?

IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

Hands down, this monster is waaaaay creepier than all the ghosts in the Haunted Mansion combined.

IMG_1974.jpg

I mostly took this picture because I wanted to remember what the chairs looked like. I think they're neat!

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

Then we went over to Mexico next to ride the 3 Caballeros ride.

IMG_1985.jpg

It was okay I guess…well actually I’m lying. It was under whelming. I mean yeah it was cute and all but I feel like the overuse of the TV screens was just plain lazy on the imagineers' part. Either that or their budget was utter crap. Does anyone remember what the ride was like before the 3 Caballeros remodel? I only rode it once and can't really remember it but I definitely know there weren't an abundance of TV screens. Right? Hmm...maybe my memory deceives me... Were there more animatronics? Anyway, Kris commented that she wanted to eat in Mexico someday because it smelled delicious. I told her we had chips and salsa at home.

IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

After that we looked around Germany where there was pretty much nothing to do.

IMG_1995.jpg

Except pose with this awesome Pickle Tree. When I was a kid, my friend had this book called "Pickle Things" and one of the lines was ..."Pickle things you never see like pickles on a Christmas Tree."

PICKLE.jpg

pickle2.jpg

I loved that book. Loved Loved LOVED it! I would read it every time I went over to her house because it was that good. It got to the point where I memorized the entire book (and to this day I still remember a good portion of the lines). One day she hid it from me because she grew annoyed with me reading it so much. I still bring that book up to this day and took this picture to show her that yes indeed, there WAS such a thing as pickles on a Christmas Tree!

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_1997.jpg

Also there were buildings to pose with.

IMG_2000.jpg

Also I bought this book. The cover intrigued me. It is definitely a book geared toward 4th-7th graders but I really enjoyed int nonetheless! It's a back story of the Wicked Queen and how she became so evil.

IMG_2003.jpg

Also we saw this.

Then we went to Japan to to browse and kill time before the 1:30 p.m. showing of the American Adventure. I noticed that Miyuki wasn’t there even though the times guide said she would be. It made sense. When we saw her the day before, she did seem a little under the weather. I guess today she called in sick?

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

I LOVE Pokemon! But only the original 150. I'm a purist that way. I still have all my cards from the 6th grade in 1999 when it was REALLY popular.

IMG_2004.jpg

I want that Evil Queen book! :goodvibes

I have all my sons cards in a box. I wonder if any are wonder if any are worth anything

I want that Evil Queen book! :goodvibes

I have all my sons cards in a box. I wonder if any are wonder if any are worth anything

I doubt it. Some of the rares used to go for $100 back in the day but now the most they go for is around the $20 mark.

I still have yet to ride the Maelstrom. It looks like such a cool ride but every time I pass it the line is ridiculous for some reason.

Love the comment about having chips and salsa at home:rotfl:

That pickle book looks familiar, I think I might have read that when I was little too.

Love your picture with Pikachu! He was always my favorite Pokemon, I was obsessed with him.

I still have yet to ride the Maelstrom. It looks like such a cool ride but every time I pass it the line is ridiculous for some reason.

Love the comment about having chips and salsa at home:rotfl:

That pickle book looks familiar, I think I might have read that when I was little too.

Love your picture with Pikachu! He was always my favorite Pokemon, I was obsessed with him.

I think I'm the only person in the whole world who never particularly cared for Pikachu. But he is the freaking mascot of Pokemon so I took a picture with him anyway :rotfl2:

when you two went to the germany pavillion did you have any of the werthers caramel treats....they are supposed to be fantastic. When did the remodel get done on the the 3 cabilleros because the last time I went on I don't remember there being tv screens everywhere. I went on in august of 2009.

when you two went to the germany pavillion did you have any of the werthers caramel treats....they are supposed to be fantastic. When did the remodel get done on the the 3 cabilleros because the last time I went on I don't remember there being tv screens everywhere. I went on in august of 2009.

Nope, didn't have any of the caramel treats. I'll keep them in mind for a future trip definitely! Idk when the remodel was done but it was that way in our 2008 trip so you must have seen the remodel. It wasn't literal TV screens but y'know...screens displaying animation instead of real animatronics.

Here I am, back after a nearly 2 month hiatus! Sorry guys, had a lot on both my plate and my mind...haven't been feeling very "Disney" as of late but I am back and I will finish this report! The year is almost over for gosh sakes...time sure flies! Don't know if I still have readers left at this point after being gone for so long but if you are still here, hello! And a big hello to any new comers as well!

Day 6.3

March 20, 2011

So after the American Adventure was over, we headed to Morocco where Kris proceeded to sit in the Fez House while I browsed around.

IMG_2008.jpg

Really. She just sat there. Morocco is the COOLEST place to browse around! I don't get her.

I noticed that the Aladdin and Jasmines at the meet and greet were different from the ones we had met. This Aladdin looked a little more like how I figured Aladdin should look because he was darker but that’s okay. Our meet and greet was still SUPER awesome! I thought about getting some lunch at Morocco’s quick service food place but I didn’t know what some of the menu items looked like so I decided against it. Looking back on it, I wish I had been brave and just ordered something. Really, when am I ever going to get the chance to eat Moroccan food again?

We stopped in France because Kris wanted to go to the Patisserie again. I nabbed some indoor seats while she bought herself an apple tart and a strawberry tart. She liked the strawberry tart better but preferred yesterday’s Napoleon over both of them.

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

While we were sitting, I noticed some tween trying to get her mom to buy her a beret. The mom asked where she was ever going to wear it and the girl said she would wear it on Hat Day which I’m guessing is some sort of school spirit day. Back in high school, we used to have spirit days during Homecoming week. I couldn’t help but think that after the school spirit day was over, she would never wear the beret again and it would just end up in the back of her closet where all items you wear only once go to die. The mom and I were on the same wavelength I guess because she ended up not getting the beret. The tween proceeded to whine but the mom didn’t give in. Is it bad that I felt pleased that the tween didn’t get her way? SERIOUSLY! SHE WAS NEVER GOING TO WEAR THAT BERET AGAIN, I JUST KNOW IT!

(On a completely random note, I don’t think I’ve ever typed the word “tween” until today. End randomness.)

Photo0150FourBySix.jpg

When Kris was through with her snack ,we went to the Imagination area of the park and watched Captain Eo. The pre show movie reeked of 80’s awesomeness. I couldn’t help but chuckle at the 80’s-tastic workout garb and hair! I thought it was interesting that the pre show hardly included Michael Jackson. I think they only had one brief picture of him. I guess it was a good way to build the suspense or something? During the actual movie, when he finally made his big onscreen reveal, practically the whole audience cheered. I was wondering if people would do that. I figured they wouldn’t because at this point, Michael Jackson’s death is kind of old news already. Ah well. Anyway it was a really good movie. Cheesy yes but really good nonetheless. Hooter was just too cute! Ugh, the only junk thing about the show was that the man sitting next to me reeked of mild B.O.

IMG_2018.jpg

Cooling off in the mist thing on the way to Imagination

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

Here we have Kris, doing a signature Michael Jackson pose.

After the show, we rode Figment. I held my nose during the skunk part. I remember really hating the smell the last time. Kris breathed normally though. I asked her what it smelt like and she said it smelt not bad…kind of like a tuna sandwich.

IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

I bought this shirt. I love it!

IMG_2031.jpg

I have no idea what compelled my sister to name it Jaffy. I asked her about it and even she doesn't know! She just typed anything that popped into her head.

Next we went to the Living Seas. There really was a really cute geekish looking dude with a 90s haircut manning the loading area. He waved at us as our shell passed him and I gushed for a good 1.5 seconds. Ha ha! I pointed him out to Kris. She kind of smirked and dryly asked me why I didn’t think he was too skinny. For the most part, I generally don’t fancy skinny dudes but there are always a few exceptions to the rule. This guy was definitely an exception. I have a thing for geeks (mainly because I am one myself) and also a thing for 90’s guy hair cuts. I hoped to cross paths with him one more time during our vacation but alas, I never saw him again.

IMG_2042.jpg

IMG_2037.jpg

IMG_2043.jpg

After the ride was over, we saw Turtle Talk with Crush. I was surprised to see a bunch of benches. Up until that point, I had only experienced the California Adventure version of the attraction and from what I remember, they had movie theatre level style seating. One kid annoyed me. He asked Crush if he had a kid. OF COURSE he does! Everyone knows that! I thought it was a huge-tastic waste of a question. The last kid to ask a question cancelled out the annoying-nosity of the other kid. He asked Crush if he had any Legos. Coolest…kid…EVER!!!

IMG_2063.jpg

When the show was over, we walked around and looked at all the tanks…making sure not to get too far out of each others sight. The cell phone reception in the Seas is pretty much nonexistent and we didn’t want to go through the hassle of trying to find each other again after separating. The dolphin pushing the ball with his nose was really cute! I also ran into the DIS guy again. I faintly heard someone saying <i>“jelly arms”</i> and then I heard it again even louder. When I turned, he and his wife were resting on the floor while their daughter played. The seemed pooped! Again, Surfer Dave, if you are out there, (over 6 months after the trip I have still not run into you on the boards) hello!

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

After looking around, we explored one side of Innoventions. We played some Piggy Bank game that taught you how to save money and we also did some sort of fire safety quiz. I didn’t really care for either of the activities. We then did this thing where you could input yourself into a video game. THAT was really cool! So cool that I actually went back in line to do it again. Kris amused herself by watching a worker trying to help a 2 year old and a grandma play the game. They clearly weren’t getting it. The kid was way too young and the grandma had clearly never played a video game in her life. The dude running the exhibit seemed pretty frustrated with them.

IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2066.jpg

IMG_2071.jpg

Kris, telling me to hurry up and play

After such a long day, we still had yet to use our Fast Passes. We ultimately decided not to use the ones from Mission Space. We just didn’t want to risk feeling sick again. We ended up not even riding it at all during our trip. No regrets though. But still…what a waste of a Fast Pass.

IMG_2083.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

We did use the ones for Test Track though. While in line, a family in the single rider line hopped the rail and cut in front of us. They didn’t speak English (or maybe they did but not fluently…I think they were French)? but even if they did, I was too afraid to say anything. It wouldn’t even matter because we’d all be funneled into the pre show room anyway. Still, I was pissed. Apparently so was the man behind me. He complained to the woman collecting the Fast Passes but really, what could she do?

IMG_2077.jpg

IMG_2084.jpg

Took this on the way out of the park. We copied our Mulan pose from earlier in the day.

Finally we headed back to Pop and ate dinner. In the food line, Kris, the man standing in front of her, and I had annoying salad issues. When I say annoying I mean annoying for the guy preparing them. The man wanted dressing on the side. Kris wanted light dressing. I wanted no dressing. Well, actually that’s a lie, I just didn’t want the Caesar dressing, I wanted to use the packaged Italian dressing. You know if you think about it, me not wanting dressing should have actually made his job easier. One less task involved. Still, you could tell he was annoyed. Ha ha oh well! Along with our Caesar salads, Kris got a turkey ciabatta sandwich and I got a cup of creamy tomato soup. Everything was delicious! After dinner we went back to the room where we thought about doing laundry but ultimately decided against it.

IMG_2088.jpg

Kris's sandwich. Not posting pictures of the salad because it's the same as the day before's picture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter