Most Expensive / Moist Exhausting Continued - Final thoughts and wrap-up

Thanks for the update! Your picture did turn out to be pretty funny. :thumbsup2 It's a shame that Lauren had such sunlight issues, otherwise these would have been very nice pictures of your family. :goodvibes

In our house the things you put on the table under a hot dish were ( i am spelling phonetically - maybe Flossbolna can help me out) underzeters. The german word for trivet, those tray like things with legs to displace the heat.

I never knew the English word until I was grown and I still use underzeter since it is what I know - thingie works too. :lmao:

It's Untersetzer. :goodvibes Unter is the same as the English under, but you say it more like oonter. And "setzer" come from the verb "setzen" which in this context means put. So it is something that is put under something else. :thumbsup2

Oh and the German word for thingie is Dings. Very useful word!!

"Thingie" works for everything. I've been known to stay stuff like, "Give me the thingie with the thing....I need it for the thing."

In German we can even make the Dings more ornamental and then it is a Dingsbums. :rolleyes1

I will admit, your return "home" is what gives me pause about staying at AKL/AKV. It's gorgeous but it just always seems to take forever and a day to get there (AK too for that matter). Not that it's really any further away but the bus routing seems to be horrendous.

I know that many people seem to think so. But I have stayed at AKL for three trips now, once at POR and once at the Poly and I think AKL is not worse than the Poly and POR was the worst of the three by far. I hated it at the Poly that the bus would always go to the GF before departing to the parks and would alwas go to the CR before dropping us off. Of course there were the TTC busses as well, but then it was quite a hike to the room.

Awww, you got the groovy chick! I think it was she who dictated that anyone wearing a beret would be stuck with argyle for their future.

Lauren only really had ONE bad "blinker". The rest are actually pretty decent photos.

I don't think I've even seen the line for SE that long. In the hot sun, YOUCH!

Nice start with bacon and eggs! :thumbsup2 So, was everything used up? Or did you throw away yogurts like I did??

It's Untersetzer. :goodvibes Unter is the same as the English under, but you say it more like oonter. And "setzer" come from the verb "setzen" which in this context means put. So it is something that is put under something else. :thumbsup2

In German we can even make the Dings more ornamental and then it is a Dingsbums. :rolleyes1

I knew i could count on your to help me out. I should have tried a true phonetic spelling intstead of the American English phonetic spelling to put the "t" in there. :)

If dings is thingie, then when my mother called me a Ding a ling, did she forget my name? ;)

I know that many people seem to think so. But I have stayed at AKL for three trips now, once at POR and once at the Poly and I think AKL is not worse than the Poly and POR was the worst of the three by far. I hated it at the Poly that the bus would always go to the GF before departing to the parks and would alwas go to the CR before dropping us off. Of course there were the TTC busses as well, but then it was quite a hike to the room.

One reason I love POP is the one bus stop, and the music they play on the bus.:rolleyes1
I am sure when Animation Suites opens the one stop thing will a thing of the past.

In German we can even make the Dings more ornamental and then it is a Dingsbums. ::rolleyes1.

A German Lesson !!! We will all be so informed of both the language and the history thanks to you!!!:cloud9::banana:

I was up and dressed by 8 o’clock, which is “sleeping in” when Disney is concerned. I ventured out into the darkened living room and kitchen area and found this Mickeyfied harbinger of impending doom, which had been slid under the door. It was our Magical Express envelope, with the luggage tags that we’d need for tomorrow’s flight.

Don't you hate that? It always comes too soon in the trip.

I started to work, first making coffee, and then bacon and eggs.

Coffee, bacon and eggs! Time to break out Homer again.

drooling_homer-712749_gif.png.jpg

And you said you didn't take any Beverly pictures! :rotfl2:

Don’t ever get “the bends”. It ain’t pretty.

:lmao: The underwater scene is quite appropriate.

I guess it's okay to wear a beret and argyle together in the future....but I wouldn't do it now.

This is acceptable golf attire as well. Preferably with polka-dotted pants.

I ventured out into the darkened living room and kitchen area and found this Mickeyfied harbinger of impending doom, which had been slid under the door. It was our Magical Express envelope, with the luggage tags that we’d need for tomorrow’s flight.

No!!! Not the Letter of Death!!! (as my family calls it)

Thanks for the laugh!:rotfl2: That picture is a classic.

Are you saying that you laughed at my picture? I'm shocked. ;)

My family enjoyed their ride here too. It's always been a classic but the added stuff at the end really makes the end so much better.

I liked the refurb. :thumbsup2

I'm so glad we're doing an WS do over. Any chance for more phone calls in the UK? Or better yet more fountain pictures in Morocco?

Oh yes. There's a strong chance of that. Oh wait, that was in response to the phone calls question. Fountains, well....

I had the same MASH shirt when I was a kid. I noticed it in an earlier post and thought "What's a 10 year old doing with a MASH t-shirt?" :lmao: Now I know.

Yes, James is so retro! :laughing:

BTW, love the Spaceship Earth pic.

I'm sure you're referring to the pic of me. :crazy:

:rotfl: Yep, I know that kind of morning! Think every DVC member does? ;)

I'd planned to have a big breakfast one of the mornings, but didn't really decide which day. I don't think I had figured that it would be this close to the end.

:thumbsup2 Love this! Seriously, one of the best television shows EVER.

I agree. I could just about quote all of the dialogue.

"Ahh Bach."

"Your picture's in my wallet and I'm sitting on it. If that isn't love, I don't know what is."

"I've eaten a river of liver and an ocean of fish."

Oh my, this is intriguing... was Britney Spear there?! popcorn:::rotfl:

It probably won't be nearly as exciting as it sounds.

I do wonder....will you see someone's underpants??

(in your next update that is.....)

:lmao:

Hey Avery&Todd! :welcome:

That's a nice start -- some people we have to coax out of lurkerdom, but you start right off with a very in-depth and pertinent question. I like that!

But we'll just have to wait and see...

It appears that you just missed our trip during this trip of yours....we were there June 12-17...you should have come a little earlier on your trip...or heck, we could have stayed a little longer..

You would've had to stay longer, we couldn't have gone any earlier due to school. In fact, my kids missed the last couple of days since snow days caused the school year to be extended. My oldest daughter had to take some finals after returning from the trip. Yuck.

Our next trip is also planned for June 2012...we can sweat together!!!

I mean...um....you know, like my family will be there, and your family will be there..and it will be like sun-hot...you know, therefore we'll all be sweating...like..together..

I didn't mean to insinuate like you and me would sweat "together"....:eek:

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: No, I get you.

By any chance, are you familiar with "the Liesa greeting"?

mmm bacon and eggs. cant go wrong there,i had that for breakfast yesterday.:thumbsup2

Mmmm, bacon.

actually i had some left over chili so my egg was a cheese omlet with chili on top.popcorn::

Was it Faunt's famous chili?

that was a very cool blue light pic on SE...
what is your camera brand again?

It's a Canon Rebel XSi

Thanks for the update! Your picture did turn out to be pretty funny. :thumbsup2 It's a shame that Lauren had such sunlight issues, otherwise these would have been very nice pictures of your family. :goodvibes

Yes, even funnier than I'd planned. Oh well.

This isn't the last of the sunlight issues.

Thanks! Your info. is always interesting and informative.

I haven't had too many complaints about POR, but if it's a little slower than most maybe that's why I'm happy with AKL!

Awww, you got the groovy chick! I think it was she who dictated that anyone wearing a beret would be stuck with argyle for their future.

Yes, that's it -- "groovy chick". For some reason, she makes me think of Mod Squad. :laughing:

Lauren only really had ONE bad "blinker". The rest are actually pretty decent photos.

I don't think I've even seen the line for SE that long. In the hot sun, YOUCH!

I suppose they weren't too bad....just not my favorites.

Yeah, that was about the longest I've seen the line, but it did move quickly. I'm thinking it only took us maybe 20 minutes maybe to get inside. Maybe when I get home I could look at some photo properties and deduce what it was.

Nice start with bacon and eggs! :thumbsup2 So, was everything used up? Or did you throw away yogurts like I did??

Hmmm, you're making me think (and I've made it this far through the day without having to do that!). I think we did use most everything up. I know I just cooked all of the bacon and eggs. We recently found some Pop Tarts that had come back in James' bag that he never fully emptied. :mad: They were not in good shape.

If dings is thingie, then when my mother called me a Ding a ling, did she forget my name? ;)

No, but it sounds like she might have wanted to, at that moment. ;)

One reason I love POP is the one bus stop, and the music they play on the bus.:rolleyes1
I am sure when Animation Suites opens the one stop thing will a thing of the past.

I bet you're right.

A German Lesson !!! We will all be so informed of both the language and the history thanks to you!!!:cloud9::banana:

Agree!

Don't you hate that? It always comes too soon in the trip.

I know. I keep hoping "maybe they'll forget us!"

Coffee, bacon and eggs! Time to break out Homer again.

drooling_homer-712749_gif.png.jpg

Mmmmmm.

And you said you didn't take any Beverly pictures! :rotfl2:

At least that would've been a good excuse.

:lmao: The underwater scene is quite appropriate.

For that joke I was just very fortunate that there is an awful disease that affects divers. That sounds bad, doesn't it?

This is acceptable golf attire as well. Preferably with polka-dotted pants.

You buy a hat like that, you get a free bowl of soup! Looks good on you, though.

No!!! Not the Letter of Death!!! (as my family calls it)

Oh nuts. I wish I had a "grim reaper" smiley.

Another wonderful update...more great pictures and I laughed out loud at least three times. I was fortunate to ride SE a few times this past trip, but we never saw a line as long the one you described. :scared1: Also, love the MASH t-shirt. Gotta love MASH... my dad was/is a huge fan and its just embedded into my subconscious forever. I think Alan Alda was my first crush! :lmao:

I spy a Caddyshack quote!

Good eye Tanya. :thumbsup2

Another wonderful update...more great pictures and I laughed out loud at least three times.

Yay! :banana::banana::banana:

I was fortunate to ride SE a few times this past trip, but we never saw a line as long the one you described. :scared1: Also, love the MASH t-shirt. Gotta love MASH... my dad was/is a huge fan and its just embedded into my subconscious forever. I think Alan Alda was my first crush! :lmao:

When watching M*A*S*H reruns I used to see how quickly I could figure out what episode it was. It usually only took a few seconds. :laughing:

Great update, Glen. I love the pics you did at AKL. I also relaly like the first photopass picture of the five of you -- it turned out great.

I really like Spaceship Earth myself (it was my dad's favorite ride). I liked the original version the best with Walter Cronkite; this one is good too (better than the ones in the middle).

Hey Avery&Todd! :welcome:

That's a nice start -- some people we have to coax out of lurkerdom, but you start right off with a very in-depth and pertinent question. I like that!

well, I jumped out of the bushes at Fauntleroy last week, so I figured I might as well come out to you to...;)

and I say if you're going to "GO" you might as well "GO BIG"!!

You would've had to stay longer, we couldn't have gone any earlier due to school. In fact, my kids missed the last couple of days since snow days caused the school year to be extended. My oldest daughter had to take some finals after returning from the trip. Yuck.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: No, I get you.

Isnt it weird how all over the U.S. schools get out at different times - my boys (11 & 9) got out last year on Friday, June 11th, but I let them skip it so we could start the drive to FL from NC....

:cutie:

By any chance, are you familiar with "the Liesa greeting"?

NO!! Do tell.....:confused3 Is there a picture included to explain the greeting - or perhaps a song & dance that would make it easier for me to understand this greeting you speak of???

:laughing:

No, I don't think it's a regional thing....I think it's actual differences in the physical characterstics of the items. Hot mitts are shaped like gloves and you put your hands into them. A potholder is just a square or rectangular piece of thick cloth. The PChef hot mitts and potholders are mongo-thick and quite nice, actually. I love the hot mitts, but I think that the potholders are actually too big (they're about 12" by 12" I'd guess) and cumbersome for grabbing cookware, although they're good for something to put between a hot pot and your kitchen counter if you're setting something off of the stove. :)

Thank you! Most illuminating. And the best part is me picturing you in your Pchef apron demo-ing this explanation to a group of women parked on the couch. I hope you'll be passing around that appetizer out of crescent rolls next, thats my favorite part of the party ;)

Day 8, Saturday, June 19th, was our last full-day. Our last park day.

:sad1:

I was up and dressed by 8 o’clock, which is “sleeping in” when Disney is concerned.

Yes, it is.

I love these! I really need to master this. Its so cool to have a picture that really captures the whole of what you were seeing. Whats your method? And do you use that same software that GB does to put it together?

Lauren needs to learn the art of the “reverse blink”, like I employ. It’s where you keep your eyes kind of closed until the photographer is about to take a picture, then open them for the second that the picture’s being taken. (Of course it helps if the photographer gives you a verbal warning.) I think she tries to hold them open the whole time he’s framing the shot, and then by the time he takes the picture she just can’t hold them open any longer.

I love this method! I have to use it on Lucy - with her blue eyes, she can hardly stand to keep them open for the time it takes to pose for the picture.

After our little photo session, we took a few more steps and arrived at Spaceship Earth and decided to go on. I’m not sure why, because it went against our whole touring plan, which was to tackle the World Showcase. Also, I’ve always thought it was a “no no” to do it first because it’s the first ride people see when they come into the park and so it’s always busy in the morning. But I guess we just realized that we had no idea when else we could do it, so we got in line. And it was quite a line -- it snaked around the left side of the ball, then snaked around the right side, and finally went in.

This was the same line we experienced a few weeks ago. I couldn't believe I was about to queue up for something we always just walk right on to. But like you said, it went pretty fast.

Awesome. Truly.:rotfl2:

I have homework for you: find a picture of you wearing that MASH shirt of James'. It'd be fun to see a side-by-side of the two of you at the same age!

Day 7 - Part 5

When we left off last time, Marlene, James, and I had backtracked from Canada to Future World in order to give Judy her park pass, as well as those of Lauren and James, who would be leaving with her to go back to Kidani. Lauren was not feeling well :sick: and James preferred to kick butt at the foosball table in Community Hall than to tour the World Showcase. So, with the park passes and James having been delivered to Judy, Marlene and I bid them adieu and ventured back to the World Showcase.

Since we’d already stopped in Canada earlier, we passed right on through and continued on to the UK. As soon as I saw the red phone booths I remembered that I had the number for one of them programmed into my cell phone. When I was planning the trip I saw on the DIS where somebody had posted a phone number for one of these booths and I had entered it into the list of contacts on my phone. I had completely forgotten about it until I saw the booths, and I wasn’t even sure if it’d work. I told Marlene about it and she was really excited to try it out. As we approached, I found the number in my list of contacts and hit Send….and the phone in the first booth rang! Marlene picked up the receiver and talked to me while I took these pictures.

IMG_3727.jpg

IMG_3728.jpg

Well that was kind of fun, but you know that real fun will be in trying to get someone else to pick up the phone. We positioned ourselves across the street and hung out for a minute or two until some people came near the phone booths, and then I dialed. (This looks like something out of Candid Camera, doesn’t it?)

IMG_3729.jpg

This little kid walked up to the doorway…and then turned around. Aw nuts. C’mon kid!

IMG_3730.jpg

Other people walked by and it seemed like they couldn't hear the phone ringing. So, Marlene went over and picked up the phone and talked rather loudly so passersby could overhear. It went something like, “WOW, I CAN’T BELIEVE I’M TALKING TO SOME RANDOM PERSON ON THE PHONE AT EPCOT. THIS IS SO COOL!”

IMG_3731.jpg

That didn’t work either -- everyone just kept waking. Oh well. It was worth a shot.

We decided to continue on with our mission, well, Marlene’s mission really, to make a certain purchase in France. Plus, I looked at the time and realized that Serveur Amusant was due to perform soon, so if we got moving we should be just in time to catch his show.

Judy had received some Disney Dollars, or Mickey Money as I call it, from her PChef director as a congratulatory gift for earning the trip. She hadn’t spent it on anything yet, so she wanted us to use it for this purchase to be sure that it got used. Once we got home, it’d only be good at the Disney Store. (I don’t recommend paying your local bookie with these bills. And for that matter, I don’t recommend interacting with bookmakers either, but that’s beside the point.) Anyway, this was going to be a purchase out of Marlene’s spending money, so she gave Judy $20 cash for these Disney Dollars, if anyone’s keeping track.

IMG_3732.jpg

We got to France and Serveur Amusant wasn’t out yet, so we went directly to the shop that Marlene had in mind. Here’s what she was about to buy. (The beret, not the mirror, lovely as it is.)

IMG_3733.jpg

She was very happy with her purchase.
French_beret_black_2.gif
Somewhere, somehow, Marlene has developed a love for all things France, and Paris in particular. She has some Eiffel Tower items decorating her room, she’s taking French in school, and has just started writing to a French girl pen-pal that her teacher arranged. I think she saw the berets in this shop last year, and had set her mind on getting one when she was thinking about how to spend her money at Disney. I’m not sure that anyone actually still wears berets in France, but don’t tell her that.

We didn’t spend very long in the shop, and soon were back outside. This area is so picturesque.

IMG_3734.jpg

Then I had Marlene get in the photo.

IMG_3735.jpg

I played around with this picture in Photobucket a little bit. I have this one:

IMG_3735-1-1.jpg

And then I did a little more tweaking, to put Marlene in black and white.

IMG_3735-1-1-1.jpg

I think my favorite is the Marlene-in-black-and-white, but Judy likes the color one better. I have no idea which Marlene likes! Anyway, which one do you like better?

Up next: You’re in Morocco
Link to next update

I like the colored one the best, the black and white is neat however. I love all things French ... DHs credit card not so much hahaha. Great TR .

Great update, Glen. I love the pics you did at AKL. I also relaly like the first photopass picture of the five of you -- it turned out great.

Thanks Kathy!

I really like Spaceship Earth myself (it was my dad's favorite ride). I liked the original version the best with Walter Cronkite; this one is good too (better than the ones in the middle).

If my memory serves, you can still hear Walter at the part with the moon landing.

well, I jumped out of the bushes at Fauntleroy last week, so I figured I might as well come out to you to...;)

and I say if you're going to "GO" you might as well "GO BIG"!!

Absolutely, I'm glad you did.

Isnt it weird how all over the U.S. schools get out at different times - my boys (11 & 9) got out last year on Friday, June 11th, but I let them skip it so we could start the drive to FL from NC....

We got burnt by "snow days". The school hadn't built any into the schedule so they just got tacked-onto the end, and we had a lot. Judy told me that for next year's schedule they're going to take snow days away from spring break. That'll probably make people who always travel of spring break mad, but it sounds good to us.

NO!! Do tell.....:confused3 Is there a picture included to explain the greeting - or perhaps a song & dance that would make it easier for me to understand this greeting you speak of???

Oh heavens, there's no picture. Not that I've seen anyway. I was just teasing my friend Liesa, regarding this chapter from her TR, as told by her trip-mate.

Thank you! Most illuminating. And the best part is me picturing you in your Pchef apron demo-ing this explanation to a group of women parked on the couch. I hope you'll be passing around that appetizer out of crescent rolls next, thats my favorite part of the party ;)

Oh, I know my stuff. ;)

You wouldn't believe what we can do with crescent rolls. :laughing:

Well, maybe you would.

I love these! I really need to master this. Its so cool to have a picture that really captures the whole of what you were seeing. Whats your method? And do you use that same software that GB does to put it together?

Yep, same software as GB...he told me where to find it. Which is -- go to Microsoft.com, go to the download center and download their Windows Live Essentials. link It's unbelievable how easy it is to use the "stitch" software. You just take a series of pictures (a few across the skyline, middle area, ground, etc.), select the pictures in the software, and click that you want to make a stitched photograph. The software "thinks" for about 30 seconds and comes back with it done. You then just have to crop it to get rid of any jagged edges.

I love this method! I have to use it on Lucy - with her blue eyes, she can hardly stand to keep them open for the time it takes to pose for the picture.

Good luck!
omgblinky.gif

This was the same line we experienced a few weeks ago. I couldn't believe I was about to queue up for something we always just walk right on to. But like you said, it went pretty fast.

I know, but what're you going to do? At least it wasn't Maelstrom.

Awesome. Truly.:rotfl2:

I'm beginning to think that maybe I should have kept it to myself. :laughing:

I have homework for you: find a picture of you wearing that MASH shirt of James'. It'd be fun to see a side-by-side of the two of you at the same age!

Oh wow, that's a pretty tall order. And you thought my SE picture was awesome....if I could find a picture from that time period, I'm sure it would make my SE picture loook good. It's a pretty safe bet that when I wore that shirt I was in my "awkward" period, since it covered so many years. :rotfl2:

Just checking in on you Glenn!!:rolleyes1No mischief being planned :rolleyes1:rolleyes1

Hi Rosie! No mischief being planned, but if it occurs naturally, well....

I like the colored one the best, the black and white is neat however. I love all things French ... DHs credit card not so much hahaha. Great TR .

:welcome: JL!! Do you mind if I call you JL? Thanks for reading along and joining in. Yes, most people liked the color one best, according to my informal survey. I see a :rolleyes1 in your signature...are you hinting at an addition? Congrats, if so.

Good
When watching M*A*S*H reruns I used to see how quickly I could figure out what episode it was. It usually only took a few seconds. :laughing:

Dh could do that with Star trek and I can can do it most of the time with I Love Lucy- my favorite home from school show to watch. In fact a caught a few episodes Sun on the Hallmark channel. Still funny.

Oh you need to use link Glenn gave you. :lmao: I am happy to say she saves that greeting for special occasions.:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter