Monorail phobia

I don't typically have a problem with the WDW Monorail. The DL one, however :scared1: felt like it was going to fall right off the track on the turns!

Don't worry, OP, we've not gotten stuck on the monorail (so far haha knock on wood). Stopped for a couple minutes here and there, yes. Stuck, not so far.

So my options are...

1. Smelling the pee/poop

2. Watching someone pee/poop...into a bag AND smelling it

???

I'll take "Ride the Ferry" for $500, Alex.

I think the smell you talk about (you forgot about the other wonderful bodily fluid of vomit in addition to pee/poo) would be a LOT better put into a bag and tied off than smeared on the floor, seats, or on someone. I cannot even imagine.

Yep. Again, I have NEVER EVER USED IT but it makes me feel better than the thought of nastily soiling myself because I can't help it, and then having to walk somewhere in total shame and embarrassment once the monorail starts up again to find clean clothes. That thought is part of what makes my stomach even worse in a stuck situation.

NEVER EVER USED IT. I repeat myself. Having this backup plan just makes me feel calmer. And fortunately, my doctor has found a certain prescription that seems to really help as well - I only ride the monorail now when I've taken that prescription and feel 100% sure that I'm good to be stuck somewhere for an hour or more.

Ah, life with stomach issues.

Ok you sound like me. LOL I take immodium to deal with the bathroom issue but I always have a bag with me on rides in case I get sick even though I have absolutely no motion sickness or even feel sick on a ride. It just makes me feel better. LOL I am glad I am not alone. :banana:

So my options are...

1. Smelling the pee/poop

2. Watching someone pee/poop...into a bag AND smelling it

???

I'll take "Ride the Ferry" for $500, Alex.

Wow I hope you never experience the stomach problems that some people suffer with on a daily basis.:sad2:

I think the smell you talk about (you forgot about the other wonderful bodily fluid of vomit in addition to pee/poo) would be a LOT better put into a bag and tied off than smeared on the floor, seats, or on someone. I cannot even imagine.

Exactly! That was the point I was trying to get across in my post! :scared:

Ok you sound like me. LOL I take immodium to deal with the bathroom issue but I always have a bag with me on rides in case I get sick even though I have absolutely no motion sickness or even feel sick on a ride. It just makes me feel better. LOL I am glad I am not alone. :banana:

It's funny how that can calm you! On an "off" day, I'd sometimes only have to remind myself I had a ziplock in my purse when I got onto Splash and my stomach would be 100% fine for the entire ride!

I've had some times where I thought for sure I was going to be sick on the monorail when it stopped unexpectedly, but it hasn't happened yet.

If I got stuck on the monorail for 45 minutes because the driver was scared to hurt the squirrel, I would of been pissed. I can see if it was 10 minutes, but 45 minutes for a squirrel?:confused3 Squirrels are rodents with furry tails. People have no problem trapping or poisoning rats but they all think squirrels are cute. (don't get it!)

I know this is probably an easy answer I can find, but, can you get from the MK to epcot by bus anywhere? I was wondering if they added bus transportation in from the ticket center.

Just take an Epcot resort bus and enter through International Gateway.

Thank you for posting this OP! I never knew that there were actually others out there like me! I am very clostrophibic & I am terrified of flying :sad: so Xanax will be my best friend next month to get my on the planes! (I hope :blush:)

But, I thought I was the only one who would have a panic attack just from getting "stuck" on a ride/monorail. :wave2: glad to hear that I am not alone.

I really hate missing out on rides, just because I am afraid of getting stuck. Soaring is a perfect example. I love the ride! But, what if you get stuck? Aaaaacccccckkkkkkk......... :sad::sad:

Any advice on rides to avoid because of current problems with frequent breakdowns would be GREATLY appreciated. I would love some honest feedback on this, as I am planning on trying everything, but if I get "stuck" at the beginning of my trip, it could impact what I do for the rest of the time :scratchin

I am going to avoid the monorail at all costs, I don't need to take it & I have read so many breakdown stories lately that that one is out. Not a big deal though, as we are staying at the Boardwalk & will have a car. The busses do not bother me at all. :drive: so that is good.

SO - any rides that have been frequently breaking down that I should know about so that I can make informed decisions as to when or if I should ride them? :confused3

(BTW - I will be visiting US/IOA also)

Thank you for any help! From all of us that can't handle getting "stuck" :flower3:

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I feel for you, OP. You know it wouldn't be so bad if when the monorail stopped or got stuck, the AC stayed on. For me, it's the thought of the AC going out that gets to me (on planes as well) for any length of time that would make it really hot and uncomfortable.

On our last trip I actually had dreams that I was stuck on a dark ride and the lights went out, and I had to find my way out.

Weird stuff.

I didn't have any issues with claustrophobia until the day I got stuck in Mission Space for 20 minutes. Had my first ever panic attack and thought I was going to die. After that I found any closed environment stressful and the ineveitable 5 minute waits on the monorail were too much to bear so I opted for the boat and have been using that ever since.

I must say though that in the end I resorted to hypnotherapy for my claustrophia and although I wouldn't say I was 100% cured I can certainly handle most situations now (although you will never see me on Mission Space again!:worried:)

I avoid the monorail as much as possible as well. Love to use the boats and the buses. This stems from a panic attack I had on a NYC subway car (pre 9/11). We were stuck between stations for over an hour. This event made me late for a job interview. The stress of this really put me over the edge and caused my blood sugar to drop. Fortunately, someone in the car realized what was happening and actually gave me half of her sandwich and chatted with me until we got moving again! (NYers can be really nice!).

Um, you are not going to be immune to any kind of breakdown on any kind of Disney transportation EVER.

If you want to psych yourself up that the monorail is going to breakdown for 45 minutes and you will get an anxiety attack, then by all means take the boat. But then you might want to psych yourself up because that boat might be rammed in the side and have to stop halfway across to Magic Kingdom so you will be stuck on the boat. So you take a bus. And then you might want to psych yourself up that the bus you will be traveling in will be hit by a car and then you'll be stuck inside that bus until everyone is cleared by the police to continue on.

Why do people think the worst is going to happen? Why are some people "the glass is half empty"? Good gravy Marie, you are going on vacation! Think positively!

Um, you are not going to be immune to any kind of breakdown on any kind of Disney transportation EVER.

If you want to psych yourself up that the monorail is going to breakdown for 45 minutes and you will get an anxiety attack, then by all means take the boat. But then you might want to psych yourself up because that boat might be rammed in the side and have to stop halfway across to Magic Kingdom so you will be stuck on the boat. So you take a bus. And then you might want to psych yourself up that the bus you will be traveling in will be hit by a car and then you'll be stuck inside that bus until everyone is cleared by the police to continue on.

Why do people think the worst is going to happen? Why are some people "the glass is half empty"? Good gravy Marie, you are going on vacation! Think positively!

:worried: that was not very nice or very sensitive :worried:

Phobias are real for people that have them. They cannot always be magically wished away pixiedust: if they could be, I am sure that everyone with one would do just that. pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

I really hope that you never develop any. And yes, you are not always born with them, sometimes things happen & you develop a phobia. A phobia does NOT mean that someone is a glass half empty person. It is a phobia for goodness sakes. Lots of very happy, positive, glass half full just waiting to be overflowing in 2 seconds, type of people have phobias.

OP I am just like you with both flying and the monorail. As for flying, I have to take something before we take off or I am a complete mess the whole way :goodvibes. I completely agree with sitting towards the front, as long as I am not behind the wing or on top of the wing, I am fine....luckily my DH understands therefore buys our seats just for this fact.

With the monorail, I am sort of the same way....I LOVE riding the monorail, it is my favorite form of transportation, however when it stops especially over water, I do kind of freak out, but not much. I know I am safe up there, but I do get an awkward feeling. On our last trip in January, DD11, DD8, and I were riding the monorail from GF to MK and in between there is a slight hill that goes over Seven Seas Lagoon. Well, we had to stop for about 5-10 on minutes on the hill due to another train sitting at the MK monorail station, so we had to wait until we got cleared to proceed. Let me tell you, that 5-10 minutes felt like a 1/2 hour, I really did not care for sitting there like that, especially when the express train whizzed by and made our train shake :scared1:.

Disnut8, I consider myself a positive person, but I do have some phobias that can cause me anxiety. If you ever had anxiety, it Sucks. Nobody wants to feel anxious, believe me, but unfortunately many people have no control over it.

For anyone who suffers from anxiety, one thing that helps me is carry a few valiums with me. If I ever got caught in an elevator or started to feel anxious on a plane, at least I know I have something that will relax me. We are going to disney in Sept and this trip I will not go on the monorail, especially after reading about someone who got stuck on it for an hour with no air conditioning. I can't even think what I would do if I was caught in a crowded monorail, stuffed with people, with no a/c in mid-air for an hour. I will take my chances with the ferry. :rotfl::rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter