Military Discount Tickets

why Mr Figment one would almost assume you were jaded..... ;)

My gut tells me if they offer anything it will be minimal.. we have pulled out of Iraq, have scaled down Afghanistan and have not yet built up in anticipation of the next target(s) in years Past Disney has only been uber generous when it was fashionable to do so( support the troops rah rah!)

why Mr Figment one would almost assume you were jaded..... ;)
How can you say that?

Before retiring, Judy and I were fairly high level Federal employees in Washington. We would often tell people: "Before dealing extensively with The Walt Disney Company we thought we worked for the largest bureaucracy in the world".

How can you say that?

Before retiring, Judy and I were fairly high level Federal employees in Washington. We would often tell people: "Before dealing extensively with The Walt Disney Company we thought we worked for the largest bureaucracy in the world".

heh. DH was stationed at NSA before and upon his return from overseas in the Spring will be back on that side of the Base again, although not specifically at NSA. I feel your pain.

Dear CF, for the sake of a conversation in progress on the SOG thread, would you once more reiterate the latest info on:
Whether you're limited to 12 tickets in 2010-2012 or whether they're unlimited as long as you only buy 6 at a time
The time between buying groups of tickets if you have more than 6 coming: do you have to wait a day, a week, or not at all? Yes, I know you've answered them ad infinitum, but they keep coming up!

The following is a cut and paste from the latest online information about the offer; it is dated July 6, 2011.

• Military Personnel can purchase 4-Day Disney Military Promotion tickets any time during the offer period for themselves and up to 5 family members and/or friends. To purchase these tickets, Military Personnel must present valid United States Military identification (active or retired). Sales locations should refer to the Military ID Reference Sheet for verification.

• If active members of the U.S. Military are unable to come to the Walt Disney World Resort during the offer period, their spouses may purchase the 4-Day Disney Military Promotion Tickets during this period for up to five (5) family members and/or friends (including the spouse).

• Guests may participate in this offer two (2) separate times during the entire duration of this promotion.

What is in red is also in red in the on-line posting.

That said, the only thing that the Automated Ticketing System shows with relation to a service member is the total number of tickets activated during the promotion.

I am going for 8 days. There are five of us. We haven't been in ten years. I wanted to use 2 sets of 5 armed forces salute tickets but was told no. You can only use 6 in a given week. That sucks!

So next I look into stars and stripes which is a good deal but since we will have a 5 year old we really won't use the water park and more option. He will like the slide at WL. So we won't waste money on those.

So we are left with buying military MYW tickets. 7 days park hoppers save the military member a whopping $5 per ticket. An entire $5 plus tax to take 2 buses over to SOG twice and have to waste all that time plus activate them at the TTC. Not sure if it is even worth it!

To add insult, if you look at a single day park hopper, the military so called discount ticket is $122. For a regular ticket online it is TWO DOLLARS LESS. That's a nice way of saying thanks to the military.

I looked online and my dad can get a better deal as a retired airline employee. seven day park hopper for $298 while the military price is $317.

MY QUESTION IS WHO THE HECK AT DISNEY IS DOING THE SO CALLED MATH ON THESE DISCOUNTS??? Ridiculous and somewhat insulting.

they do not owe us squat.

no company does . Just because we wear a uniform( well our sponsor at least) DOES NOT MEAN that ANY corporation has to bend over backwards giving us the 'best' discount. ever. be thankful they choose to offer us ANYTHING at all

and FTR we have never taken advantage of the Salute to Heroes at WDW either as it does not suit our style/needs either. we did use the DL version back in June as we happened to be in LA for a week.

there is no way in hell they can do the math to give every single possible configuration of people and days to give EVERYONE a 'good enough' discount

Who told you you can't use two sets of military tickets in one week? Unless you get that answer at Disney from the guest services window, I would try when I got there.

Mrsjvb: I'm sorry but I have thought and thought about whether to respond to you,but feel I need to... you seem to be very negative and frankly rude,I'm not sure why you feel the need to come on here and be this way??
Are we owed anything...maybe not..but I think what the poster was meaning is, why offer a deal if it is not really a deal?? I didn't get anything from her post that made it seem like she thought she was owed something from Disney or anyone else.
I think it is wonderful when our military is noticed for what they do, are they(we) owed it as you put it, maybe not, do most earn it YES in my opinion. As a military person yourself it shocks me that you would act as if you don't...many have lost their loves,lost loved ones through the years, some have sacrificed alot,given many years to our country so that we can feel safe and live in a free country, so please explain to me how you can get on here and be so negative?? Are you not proud of wearing the uniform? Did someone do something to you?
All I can ask personally(can't speak for others) is for you to please keep your negativity to yourself, no question is a stupid question and deserves and respectable answer not a rude one.
Sorry if I stepped on any toes or upset anyone,but needed to get this off my chest.
Thank-you, Thanks to our military and GOD Bless!!!!!

Grumpy: she called it insulting that the discount was only a few dollars and that she herself was unable to use the promotion as it is laid out.

THAT'S what I have a problem with.. instead of being grateful that any discount is offered people get snippy that it won't work for them or that it isn't as much as another promotion for a different group

I also have no sympathy for the Teachers and cops and firefighters/EMTs and senior citizens and veterans and*insert special interest group here* out there who ***** because they don't get discounts but the military does.

and I am damn sick and tired of those Military personnel who act all entitled. WE CHOOSE to serve our country, the draft ended 40 years ago. that means we accept the ramifications and consequences of our career choice.

if Anheiser Busch and WDW and Kings Island want to offer an expression of gratitude, be grateful that they give a damn at all. don't bad mouth 'em because you want tickets at half price and they offer 'em at 20% off

and for the record we rarely if ever ask for a discount if one is not widely advertised. we do not feel that his service warrants special treatment. If we can afford to pay full or advertised sale price, we do.

Are we owed anything...maybe not..but I think what the poster was meaning is, why offer a deal if it is not really a deal?? I didn't get anything from her post that made it seem like she thought she was owed something from Disney or anyone else.

Disney does offer a deal - the AFS tickets. $135 for a 4-day Park Hopper ticket is an incredible deal, IMO. Where the PP comes across as feeling "owed" is in the PP's being upset that the deal that's offered doesn't cover the amount of time the PP wants to spend at WDW.

Regarding the regular discount tickets you can get at any MWR - the prices there work just like they do for all multi-day tickets. The more days you purchase, the greater the savings. Yes, it's true that the difference b/w the gate and MWR price for 2-day park hoppers is only about $6.00 (only about 3%). Take a look at a 5-day park hopper, though, and the difference is $71 (about 19%). An almost 20% discount is a pretty good discount IMO - esp. considering many other companies only give a 10% military discount.

As a military person yourself it shocks me that you would act as if you don't...many have lost their loves,lost loved ones through the years, some have sacrificed alot,given many years to our country so that we can feel safe and live in a free country, so please explain to me how you can get on here and be so negative?? Are you not proud of wearing the uniform? Did someone do something to you?

My husband is also military. He also agrees that companies have a right to decide what discounts they do and don't give. We both appreciate discounts and use them where they're offered, but we don't get upset at companies that don't offer them or offer only a little discount. I can assure you he is and always has been incredibly proud of wearing the uniform, just as I have always been incredibly proud of his service.

It is shocking to me that you would question someone's pride in their service because they disagree with you on how companies dole out discounts. That is far more insulting, imo.

Ariel- I am aware of what Disney offers and not once did I say I didn't appreciate it as we have taken advantage of the offers ourself...
I also didn't say companies didn't have the right to give what promotions they like..what I was implying was how rude Mrsjvb has been being in her past couple posts.
So for you to say I was questioning her pride is incorrect as I never said anything about what companies do,my point was her rude answers and how I didn't see that the other poster acted like she was owed anything...she was just upset cause it was only a few dollars different...
Now I'm sorry if in Mrsjvb previous comments that she comes off like she doesn't care,but that is how I read it, sometimes thats the problem with blogs or forums, we read it,we don't hear the persons voices nor see the expressions, we take it the way we want, which is how I feel my post was taken...
I am a very proud military wife and come from many in our family, I do appreciate what any company may do to support that..so with that being said I will not say anymore on this topic as I have said my peace..
GOD Bless...

Ariel- I am aware of what Disney offers and not once did I say I didn't appreciate it as we have taken advantage of the offers ourself...
I also didn't say companies didn't have the right to give what promotions they like..what I was implying was how rude Mrsjvb has been being in her past couple posts.
So for you to say I was questioning her pride is incorrect as I never said anything about what companies do,my point was her rude answers and how I didn't see that the other poster acted like she was owed anything...she was just upset cause it was only a few dollars different...
Now I'm sorry if in Mrsjvb previous comments that she comes off like she doesn't care,but that is how I read it, sometimes thats the problem with blogs or forums, we read it,we don't hear the persons voices nor see the expressions, we take it the way we want, which is how I feel my post was taken...
I am a very proud military wife and come from many in our family, I do appreciate what any company may do to support that..so with that being said I will not say anymore on this topic as I have said my peace..
GOD Bless...

Well said!!! :worship: :worship::thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Proud Army wife of Major "G" and ESL Teacher..

My comments about the discounts on the regular MWR tickets were directed more to hookem91, who was complaining about the "lack" of discount on the regular MWR discount tickets. Yes, the discounts on the single/two day passes are much lower than the discounts on 5+ days - but that's what Disney does for *all* of their tickets...as you spend more days there, you get more savings on your ticket. Hookem was acting like all of the discounted MWR tickets are pretty much worthless in terms of the discount, and that's inaccurate IMO.

As you said, this is the internet and sometimes things don't come across as intended. The above quote is not how your post came across to me at all.

I think it is wonderful when our military is noticed for what they do, are they(we) owed it as you put it, maybe not, do most earn it YES in my opinion. As a military person yourself it shocks me that you would act as if you don't

Since Mrsjvb was talking about companies not *owing* military members discounts, this comment comes across as saying

I think it is wonderful when our military is noticed for what they do (in this case by offering discounts since that's what Mrsjvb was discussing), are they (we) owed it as you put it, maybe not, do most earn it (the "it" still being discounts) YES in my opinion. As a military person yourself it shocks me that you would act as if you don't (referring to being shocked that Mrsjvp would act as if she didn't deserve discounts)"

That is why it came across to me as questioning her pride because she disagreed with the whole "deserving discounts" idea. If that's not how you meant it, I accept that - but considering the subject matter at hand was discounts, and the lack of clarity stating otherwise in your comment, that's how it came across.

how I didn't see that the other poster acted like she was owed anything...she was just upset cause it was only a few dollars different...
You don't think the other posted acted that way, others obviously did. There are 3 different ways for military to get discounted tickets to Disney: The AFS, the Stars and Stripes tickets, and the discounted tickets available at MWR. The PP complained how none of them would work for her and how she felt "somewhat insulted" that there wasn't something else (implication being that there wasn't something "better". IMO, that absolutely comes across as feeling like you're owed something.

Well, personally I think hookem was way out of line to come here and complain, Disney or any other organization for that matter, doesn't have to give a discount or even allow such discounts to be available at all, but it is much appreciated.

If hookem really cared to sit down and look, she/he might find the deal might in fact, work for them, instead, they pitch a fit like a 5 year old.

If you notice, this was hookem91s first post, kind of odd for that to be somebody's first post.

Point of Order!

Disney does not ever discount one or two day tickets, even to authorized resellers including the military.

Just about any authorized reseller (including the military) who sells one or two day tickets does it as a "convenience" for the purchaser and usually will add a "convenience charge" of up to five dollars per ticket.

And, of course, any tickets purchased at a military installation or SoG do not have the 6.5% sales tax included.

Appleorchard - the concierge at the WL said in an email: "I apologize that we do not have more information on the Military tickets. *I would recommend you contact Military Ticket Sales at (407)939-7830". So I called that number and posed the question. Theysaid they handle the Armed Forces Salute 4 day tickets and that is what they told me - no more than 6 in a week. They said they could not tell me about the other types of military discount tickets - only SOG and/or local MWR offices could tell me about the other types.

I also got am email response from
Melissa Acevedo
WDW Online Communications:
"We appreciate your interest, please know that no more the twelve (12)
Disney 4-Day Military Promotional Tickets may be purchased, activated
and/or used by any Eligible Service Member or spouse during the life of
this promotion, and no Eligible Service Member or spouse may purchase,
activate and/or use more than six (6) Disney 4-Day Military Promotional
Tickets during any single week of the promotion. *One (1) of the Disney
4-Day Military Promotional Tickets purchased on each occasion must be
used by the Eligible Service Member or spouse."

Everyone else-
This forum is supposed to be used to ask question, post comments and research any sort of Disney topic. I chose to comment on my frustration on the fact that Disney advertises a discount which is either unavailable for long stays (and often times the military leaves which don't come often enough are longer than 4 days so it isn't uncommon for a military family to spend all that precious time doing something fun) or misrepresented as a special discount (which is really no discount at all). I have noticed many young enlisted who just go with the flow on so called military deals and don't do in depth research. After doing my own research I was pointing out the corporate deals being an airline retiree will be 10% rBETTER than using the military discount. I think our military deserve the best discount. Thats my opinion. Does Disney have the right to give no one any discount. Sure.

Maybe someone out there might find that useful and go beyond the MWR counters and find better deals now.

If anyone out there has more info on better deals than these military discounts, I would be glad to hear your input. I don't find Princess' comments either relevant or useful but she has every right to post her comments here too however void of significance I or you may find them.

If you go to the locked sticky Everything About WDW Tickets in this Forum, especially Post #17, you can get a lot more information. An easy way to get to the sticky is by clicking on the link in my signature. The ticket sticky is your friend!

And please be sure to read the last two (highlighted) paragraphs of that post to help clarify some of your confusion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter