Military Discount Tickets

Question: Does this mean that tickets will be avalible after the September 30th deadline? I ask this for two reasons 1) We wanted to go to the Food and Wine Festival

and

2) We used 6 tickets this past spring. We are planning to use 6 more this fall (either September or October depending on whether or not the Armed Forces Tickets remain available), but would like to go again later in the year. Is this possible?

No, what it means is that you are no longer limited to 12 until Sept 30, 2012. At this time, the promotion still ends on 9/30/2012. I would think they will extend it, but you never know.

Does anyone remember when they've announced extensions to this promotion in the past? DH and I may be going to WDW with my parents in October (F&W festival). We wouldn't be looking to book until September probably (as we're going to wait and see how this pregnancy and birth goes before we make definite plans) - but is it likely that if the Armed Forces Salute is extended that we'll know by September?

I know it's definitely an if at this point, and if nothing else we'll get regular discount tickets at ITT or SOG - just curious :)

Does anyone remember when they've announced extensions to this promotion in the past? DH and I may be going to WDW with my parents in October (F&W festival). We wouldn't be looking to book until September probably (as we're going to wait and see how this pregnancy and birth goes before we make definite plans) - but is it likely that if the Armed Forces Salute is extended that we'll know by September?

I know it's definitely an if at this point, and if nothing else we'll get regular discount tickets at ITT or SOG - just curious :)

If I remember correctly it was pretty last minute last year, then they spent weeks working out the details, which have changed several times since. I expect they will know by Sept, bt you never know.

I hae to say, I sure hope they do, but at this point, we have no trip plans after June, but that will change.

If I remember correctly it was pretty last minute last year, then they spent weeks working out the details, which have changed several times since. I expect they will know by Sept, bt you never know.

I hae to say, I sure hope they do, but at this point, we have no trip plans after June, but that will change.

We were there two years ago (2010) in October. We are passholders so we didn't need the military tickets, but I remember the military tickets expiring on September 30. Disney waited a few weeks before announcing they would offer them until the end of the year so there was something like a two week period that they weren't available. I would have been mad if I'd been counting on getting those tickets and my trip fell during the few weeks you couldn't buy them. Just a heads up. :)

We were there two years ago (2010) in October. We are passholders so we didn't need the military tickets, but I remember the military tickets expiring on September 30. Disney waited a few weeks before announcing they would offer them until the end of the year so there was something like a two week period that they weren't available. I would have been mad if I'd been counting on getting those tickets and my trip fell during the few weeks you couldn't buy them. Just a heads up. :)

Thanks for the info. We'd be looking at going (probably) the 3rd full week in October...so we may miss it if they did as they did in 2010. We won't count on it though. I'll probably wait to buy tickets til the last possible time, given this history with Disney. We can always buy normal discounted tickets at ITT right before we leave if they're cheaper than the Stars and Stripes ones at SOG.

Thanks for the info. We'd be looking at going (probably) the 3rd full week in October...so we may miss it if they did as they did in 2010. We won't count on it though. I'll probably wait to buy tickets til the last possible time, given this history with Disney. We can always buy normal discounted tickets at ITT right before we leave if they're cheaper than the Stars and Stripes ones at SOG.

They did do that in 2010, but last year, they made the announcement right before the end of Sept, if I remember correctly. Our trips have never been that close to the deadline. SoG sells discounted regular tickets, too. Benning seems to run out, or at least the old travel place did, I haven't checked with the new travel place to see what they have besides the AFS tickets.

I thought I had read this answer somewhere, but now can't find it. If we activate 4 tix on day 1, then on day 2, each person ends up with a different ticket, will that be accepted? I thought since they will have been purchased together, they can be used interchangeably buy the 4 guests. I usually end up holding everyones tix in order to make fastpass acquisition easier, and would hate to be held up at each park because the wrong person is holding each tix.

Also- along those lines. I know the official answer from the SOG site, but wondered: if the military member/retiree only uses his ticket for 2 days, would someone else (of the 3 other original in the group) be able to use his ticket for another 2 days? We are planning a total of 5 days in the park, but don't think my elderly father wants to do more than a day with us. I have old tix (from 1994 and 2004) that have 1,1 and 3 days left on them, but would rather save those so they become even more valuable to us.
Thanks

no the tickest are NOT transferable. a name will be printed on each on and only that person may use the ticket

All AFS tickets are keyed to the individual who first uses them when they go through a Park turnstile the first time. The same person has to use the ticket or the turnstile will not unlock.

If the tickets are purchased at a WDW ticket window each will have the name of a different person on each ticket. If purchased through the military, when the tickets are activated you can write the name or initials of each person on their tickets. Or note the different serial numbers of the tickets so you know which belongs to whom.

I thought I had read this answer somewhere, but now can't find it. If we activate 4 tix on day 1, then on day 2, each person ends up with a different ticket, will that be accepted? I thought since they will have been purchased together, they can be used interchangeably buy the 4 guests. I usually end up holding everyones tix in order to make fastpass acquisition easier, and would hate to be held up at each park because the wrong person is holding each tix.

Also- along those lines. I know the official answer from the SOG site, but wondered: if the military member/retiree only uses his ticket for 2 days, would someone else (of the 3 other original in the group) be able to use his ticket for another 2 days? We are planning a total of 5 days in the park, but don't think my elderly father wants to do more than a day with us. I have old tix (from 1994 and 2004) that have 1,1 and 3 days left on them, but would rather save those so they become even more valuable to us.
Thanks

No, the tickets will have to be signed by each member of the party )Ours didn't have our name on them, until we decided to add the WPF&M, then they put them on regular tickets with our name on them) and they do the finger scan, so if it doesn't match, they won't let them in the gate. After they o thru the turnstile, just take the ticket back. I just hand mine off to DH if he is going to get a fastpass for something I am going to ride with him.

No, only the person the ticekt originally belongs to can use the ticket, but you can use 2 of the 4 day passes back to back, that's what we did in January. As cheap as they are, even if you don't use all the days by 9/20/2012, you won't have lost anything. And they will probably extend them again beyond that, so you can use them later.

My family received a great but very not so great gift in the mail yesterday. I wanted to check here before I send this great gift back.

My sister and her husband wanted to help me and my family with our up coming trip. They said they wanted to give us Disney gift cards to go toward our ticket purchase. I thought GREAT!!!!!

Instead they have purchased these Military Discount Tickets. We are not in the military although everyone around us is. I asked if they had changed their mind and were they going with us to Disney and they answered "nope".

I told them that although they were very thoughtful and it was a wonderful gift... that either she or her husband would have to be there to activate them. Well they got very upset and told me that I didn't know everything and that I was wrong.

I would LOVE to be wrong. BUT am I right??? We can't use these tickets????

It depends on what tickets she purchased. There are regular WDW tickets that are sold for a discount on military bases. These can be purchased and used by anyone without the need for activation.

However, there are also tickets sold through a program called the Armed Forces Salute. Armed Forces Salute tickets require that a MM or MM's spouse be present at the time of activation.

What Angel Ariel said.

if they are the Salute to Heroes tickets( 4 days for a base price of $138) then you are correct they cannot be used without somebody with a valid DoD ID card present. Hopping and WFP&M can be added but you cannot add park days.

if they are the normal military discounted tickets you are fine. these can be any length and can also have hopping and WFP&M added for an additional fee.

if you are not sure you can call Disney directly and give them some code that is on the ticket. they'll be able to tell you which version the tickets are.

Thank you both very much! I believe the are the 4 day park hopper Salute to Heroes.... Maybe my sister will join us.

If your sister can't join you, is there any way she could exchange them at her base's MWR/ITT offices for the tickets you can use w/o her?

If your sister can't join you, is there any way she could exchange them at her base's MWR/ITT offices for the tickets you can use w/o her?

Oh my I didn't think of that. I will mail them back to them and see what they can do. Thanks for the tip.

Thank you both very much! I believe the are the 4 day park hopper Salute to Heroes.... Maybe my sister will join us.

Is it possible that when they purchased them, they activated them for you? That can be done. They will say on the back if they are the Armed Forces Salute tickets, the regular discounted military tickets we have bought just look like regular tickets that are sold at the gate.

Is it possible that when they purchased them, they activated them for you? That can be done. They will say on the back if they are the Armed Forces Salute tickets, the regular discounted military tickets we have bought just look like regular tickets that are sold at the gate.

I was under the impression that AFS tickets could only be activated at the ticket window?

From the official site for the AFS tickets:
Eligible Service Members (or their spouses) who purchase Disney 4-Day Military Promotional Tickets for admission to the Walt Disney World Resort for themselves and their family members and friends will be required to activate those Tickets at Walt Disney World theme park ticket windows, no later than September 30, 2012, in order for those Tickets to be used. Valid military identification will be required.

I am 99% sure that they can't be activated until they are at WDW at a Guest Relations window or at least that is how the last X number of Military Appreciation tickets have been. The military member has to be at the GR window to activate them the first time that they are used.

I was under the impression that AFS tickets could only be activated at the park gates?

From the official site for the AFS tickets:

Nope, they have to be activated at the Guest Relations/ticket window prior to going to the gates/turnstiles, or they won't work.

I am 99% sure that they can't be activated until they are at WDW at a Guest Relations window or at least that is how the last X number of Military Appreciation tickets have been. The military member has to be at the GR window to activate them the first time that they are used.

From my understanding and based on what the DTD GR CM told us in January, we could activate tickets for someone other than ourselves, as long as DH or I activated them prior to giving them to that person. They didn't have our names on them, until we later added the WPF&M option at DHS, then they changed them to the paper tickets and added our names.

I also saw someone post on one of the other military ticket threads that they purchased and activated tickets for another family member, they just had to have certain information.

The tickets for January came from MWR, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not, they looked just like the ones we got from SoG (white with the American Flag Mickey on the front)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter