Med Cruisers...Let's Discuss Planning!(Updated Tour Info, Links & BCN Info on Page 1)

Please don't flame me, I have been reading these threads until my eyes are crossed and I do not remember seeing much about excursions in Catania (Sicily) or Corfu. Can any other cruisers please give me some advice???

We are traveling on the 12 Night June 14th cruise out of Barcelona ending June 26th in Venice. There will be 3 adults and 3 kids 915,15 & 17).
We have decided to do

Villefranche: on our own,
La Spezia: doing Cinque Terre on our own (Ferry & Train) (was going to be Rome in Limo Lucca & Tuscan Riviera but decided we might like CT better)
Civitavecchia: all day Rome in Limo
Naples (renting a private boat for the day) (exclusivecruises.it) (had Rome in Limo but think a private boat would be much more fun than a land excursion)
Catania: ????? Is there enough to see here to hire Rome in Limo?
Corfu: have the Dassia Beach Package booked with DCL but are thinking it might be best to DIY (I hate being herded and waiting for long lines of people)
Dubrovnik: Scenic Cruise & Beach Time with DCL but have read in Rick Steve's Mediterranean Cruise Ports it is a 25 min walk to the same beach
Venice: On our own

It seems that most of the Disney excursions are filled with "hurry up an wait scenerios" I also hate that we only get an hour or so in some spots where we may want to linger. Don't get me wrong I love Disney but am not wild about their excursions. Since there are 6 of us we can hire drivers and go at our own pace for close to what a DCL excursion would cost. The only real splurge is hiring a private boat for the day at Naples but it sounds so appealing.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm on that same cruise. For Catania, you may find RomeInLimo is fully booked. That's what I was told by them a few months ago. You can certainly check again and see if they had something open up, though.

Saturday is when we can book our shore excursions. We've decided to just stay with DCL run excursions, lets just say our luck this year with travel delays in the past haven't been that great so we're playing it safe. With that said here's what we're planning:

- Villefranche: Eze, Nice and French Wines
- La Spezia: Florence and Michelangelo
- Civitavecchia: The Best of Rome
- Naples: Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri
- Barcelona: Montserrat: Half Day, End at Hotel

Looks like there's a couple long days in there that will mean we'll miss main dining those days, we have early dining.

Has anyone done the Montserrat excursion on the last day? If yes how does that work, does DCL collect your baggage and deliver it to the hotel for you or do you need to get it through customs and then they just bring it along on the tour bus?

for Corfu (when we were on Princess), we did Dassia Beach DIY--very easy, very safe, very fun, low key day. You take the shuttle to the town--ours had a city bus special for the cruise 1 euro--guessing DCL will have the same or a designated shuttle. Once in town walk UP--all the roads slant to the bottom--so walk straight upwards for about 5 minutes thru the old part of town until you get to a square with buses. We walked to the right (facing the old town) went around the fort, got lost and finally found the town center where the Dassia (and other buses) were about 30 minutes later. It's very safe, IMHO--and we had a nice walk--LOL!
We got on the bus marked Dassia, but had no idea where to get off--but then we saw the Chandris Hotel. That was where Princess beach excursion went (and where DCL goes)--so we hopped off, walked thru the lobby, down the stairs and out past the pool to the beach. Since we had our Princess towels, we fit right in. We just popped a towel on the beach, but there were some unclaimed chairs, as well. If you bring your DCL towels and you will fit in just fine. There are cute little outdoors changing rooms by the beach and a bathroom ground level by the stairs up to the lobby, as I recall. Obviously, we did not swim in the pool, as we were not guests of the hotel. The snorkeling was not good, but swimming was fine--it's more of a large bay, no relatively flat and not much current, perfect for kids.
I absolutely LOVED the low key elegance of this resort. There are water sports for rental and an over the water bar/snack place that are not part of the hotel. Once done, we walked back outside and grabbed a bus.
All totaled, our day costs 1.4 euros each way to the beach, plus 1 euro to/from ship. We would have had lunch at the hotel or by the pool, or drinks at the bar, but we were nervous about getting back in time--not to worry, as buses come every 15 minutes. We then walked back thru the old town, shopped for an hr and got the bus back to port with at least 2 hrs to spare.
Another family on our cruise did the same thing--but they took a cab for their family of 4---100 euros RT!
For Venice, we love Doges Palace. If there is a line, buy your tickets over at the museum across San Marco's Square--it also has free bathrooms and A/C!

We are a DIY kind of cruise family ;) I'm making Rhodes our beach day. I have looked and found Elli Beach. It gets pretty good reviews and will only be about a 20 minute walk from the ship. Looks like there is also a market on the way. My question is has anyone been to Rhodes in the past and if so, does this sound reasonable?? Any other advice for that stop? I'm not going to do Lindos.

We are a DIY kind of cruise family ;) I'm making Rhodes our beach day. I have looked and found Elli Beach. It gets pretty good reviews and will only be about a 20 minute walk from the ship. Looks like there is also a market on the way. My question is has anyone been to Rhodes in the past and if so, does this sound reasonable?? Any other advice for that stop? I'm not going to do Lindos.

Elli beach is not a nice beach and not in a good location, it's stoned and it's packed full in summer and can be windy, it's on the start of the approach to Rhodes international airport with planes coming in to land regularly and low.

Not a good choose.

Now Rhodes has been nearly my second home.

You say no to Lindos the best village and beach in Rhodes maybe the best village in agreed.

Alternatives are Falaraki. That's about 15 mins by taxi and a regular bus service, it's on the calmer East side and a mainly sandy beach the beach is long and wide, lots of waters ports, only downside it's popular with the young there not up to midday and the bars are not rowdy until the ship is long gone.

Afandou is also nice. A bit further, Tsamika a bit further.

General rule West coast windy stones and flight path, East side nice beaches sand and calmer seas. Most beaches shelve slower into the sea.

Do think of Lindos it's a gem.

Main Rhodes market is in the old historic walled Rhodes town opposite the cruise port, you cannot miss it, it doesn't get going to about 10am. Elli is at the top through the new Rhodes town and hotels and commercial shops.

Elli beach is not a nice beach and not in a good location, it's stoned and it's packed full in summer and can be windy, it's on the start of the approach to Rhodes international airport with planes coming in to land regularly and low.

Not a good choose.

Now Rhodes has been nearly my second home.

You say no to Lindos the best village and beach in Rhodes maybe the best village in agreed.

Alternatives are Falaraki. That's about 15 mins by taxi and a regular bus service, it's on the calmer East side and a mainly sandy beach the beach is long and wide, lots of waters ports, only downside it's popular with the young there not up to midday and the bars are not rowdy until the ship is long gone.

Afandou is also nice. A bit further, Tsamika a bit further.

General rule West coast windy stones and flight path, East side nice beaches sand and calmer seas. Most beaches shelve slower into the sea.

Do think of Lindos it's a gem.

Main Rhodes market is in the old historic walled Rhodes town opposite the cruise port, you cannot miss it, it doesn't get going to about 10am. Elli is at the top through the new Rhodes town and hotels and commercial shops.

Thank you for all this! The reason why I said no to Lindos is because of the distance from the ship. I didn't want to have to take a taxi so far for a beach. It looks lovely and I'm sure it is great, but I'm trying to keep it nearby. I'll look into the other, closer one. But thanks again for the info on Elli, nowhere online said that. I read it was windy, but that was it.

Thank you for all this! The reason why I said no to Lindos is because of the distance from the ship. I didn't want to have to take a taxi so far for a beach. It looks lovely and I'm sure it is great, but I'm trying to keep it nearby. I'll look into the other, closer one. But thanks again for the info on Elli, nowhere online said that. I read it was windy, but that was it.

Yes,

Lindos is about 45 mins> 60 by taxi great beach but not just a beach a massive acropolis and a old fashioned quaint Greek town with small white washed lanes and nice shops and tavernas.

Falaraki is your best closest beach.

Elli is the main capital town beach and trust me I walked it as had to meet friends I wouldn't ever go to it, stones, windy, packed as Rhodes town doesn't have a beach and many people stay there and you can't really do water sports, and on the approach flight path to the only airport,

image by Andrew D Porter, on Flickr

Falaraki great expanse of sand a nice beach shelves slowly into the sea it's busy but you can get away from the crowds lots of tavernas and good transport connections. It's rowdy at night with young people but ok in the day.

image by Andrew D Porter, on Flickr

Very cool. Thanks again. How easy are the buses to figure out? And is there a boat we could take from the cruise port either to Lindos or Faliraki. And for the market, do we just leave the port and it's right in from of us?

You are a lifesaver!

Very cool. Thanks again. How easy are the buses to figure out? And is there a boat we could take from the cruise port either to Lindos or Faliraki. And for the market, do we just leave the port and it's right in from of us?

You are a lifesaver!

If you get of the ship with the old walled town in front of you, you most likely will have taxis there, if not, turn right on the main road, take car it's busy little sidewalk then follow the road around and through an arch in the wall, you hit the main taxi rank there you can get fixed fare taxis to Falaraki and Lindos.

The old town market is in from of you, you can't miss it, off and you will see the walls and go in. Market and shops do not open too early so your ship will be in before it gets going, Aldo there are stalls near taxi rank, and across from the taxi rank going away from the old town you hit another food market and tourist market.

Old town my photos,

Market before open,

For the bus terminal it's a bit further they stop terminate from outside Rhodes near the taxi rank but the bus terminal is further in town it's a walk up the road parallel go the walls and right into the new town, The Internet description is, the main bus terminal in Rhodes city is the Neá Agorá (New Market). Buses run by both companies stop there, but ticket booths, as well as timetables and prices, are distinct. Rhodes town lines are run by Roda, but have a separate stop, along Mandraki sea promenade, across the street from the new market. One interesting line is n° 5, which goes up to the Achropolis, price €1.
Tickets can also be bought in the bus from a cashier or directly from the driver. Keep your ticket until the end of your voyage. The price of a bus ticket will depend on the destination. For example, a trip from Rhodes city to Faliraki will cost €2.20.

Falaraki has a good service, Lindos it's sometimes hourly sometimes more, a list is on a blackboard often Greek and English, in most places it's always in English as well bar a few German resort areas.

Boat to Falaraki and Lindos.

Yes there are two or three boats that travel down to them from Rhodes town normally leaving 8.30 or 9am and into Lindos about 11, they come back around 2.30 pm so should make it back for the cruise, do check, they leave from the new part of the town, do again right, through arch and where taxi rank is on your left continue on harbour side and you will see plenty of boats some to Lindos some Falaraki and dome for Symi.

Anyone heard or used Tourist Active for Barcelona?

Saves a bit on transfer from the airport to the hotel over a cab cost.

Thanks for your reply. I would love to do this to avoid having the responsibility of carrying that much cash or getting it from ATMs along the way! I see that RIL is based out of Miami so I might call and see if we can pay upfront.

Not sure if you called but I emailed them last night asking if I could still pre-pay and was told no, only cash :confused3 :badpc:

for Corfu (when we were on Princess), we did Dassia Beach DIY--very easy, very safe, very fun, low key day. You take the shuttle to the town--ours had a city bus special for the cruise 1 euro--guessing DCL will have the same or a designated shuttle. Once in town walk UP--all the roads slant to the bottom--so walk straight upwards for about 5 minutes thru the old part of town until you get to a square with buses. We walked to the right (facing the old town) went around the fort, got lost and finally found the town center where the Dassia (and other buses) were about 30 minutes later. It's very safe, IMHO--and we had a nice walk--LOL!
We got on the bus marked Dassia, but had no idea where to get off--but then we saw the Chandris Hotel. That was where Princess beach excursion went (and where DCL goes)--so we hopped off, walked thru the lobby, down the stairs and out past the pool to the beach. Since we had our Princess towels, we fit right in. We just popped a towel on the beach, but there were some unclaimed chairs, as well. If you bring your DCL towels and you will fit in just fine. There are cute little outdoors changing rooms by the beach and a bathroom ground level by the stairs up to the lobby, as I recall. Obviously, we did not swim in the pool, as we were not guests of the hotel. The snorkeling was not good, but swimming was fine--it's more of a large bay, no relatively flat and not much current, perfect for kids.
I absolutely LOVED the low key elegance of this resort. There are water sports for rental and an over the water bar/snack place that are not part of the hotel. Once done, we walked back outside and grabbed a bus.
All totaled, our day costs 1.4 euros each way to the beach, plus 1 euro to/from ship. We would have had lunch at the hotel or by the pool, or drinks at the bar, but we were nervous about getting back in time--not to worry, as buses come every 15 minutes. We then walked back thru the old town, shopped for an hr and got the bus back to port with at least 2 hrs to spare.
Another family on our cruise did the same thing--but they took a cab for their family of 4---100 euros RT!
For Venice, we love Doges Palace. If there is a line, buy your tickets over at the museum across San Marco's Square--it also has free bathrooms and A/C!

Thank you for this wonderful information. Now I do not have to worry about getting lost or missing buses!!

Has anyone done this beach on their own or do must take the Scenic Cruise and Beach pkg offered by DCL?

Thanks!

We are thinking of hiring a private boat and Captain to Take us around Capri or Amalfi coast. Has anyone else done this? Can't do it through DCL the cost is too much, but can hire outside company for around $2000

We are thinking of hiring a private boat and Captain to Take us around Capri or Amalfi coast. Has anyone else done this? Can't do it through DCL the cost is too much, but can hire outside company for around $2000

We've booked a 2 hour tour around Capri with Gianni's Boats for 130 euros. (he does longer tours as well) then we obviously have to pay to get across to Capri on the hydrofoil which works out around 100 euros for the three of us.

http://www.giannisboat.com/ - has brilliant reviews on trip advisor (there's around 3 or 4 companies on there that do boat tours of various lengths)

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter