Med Cruisers...Let's Discuss Planning!(Updated Tour Info, Links & BCN Info on Page 1)

We will be in Europe for over two weeks before the cruise going from planes, trains and yes, automobiles, :rotfl:. I am really beginning to consider not bringing formal formal night clothes.

I have to pack for five people for a month. I need to keep it to three suitcases b/c of all the moving around we are doing. The idea of having to fit suit coats, dress shoes etc. is becoming more and more unrealistic.

Has anyone on here not dressed up? We will have nice clothes, just not formal. I know I always read there is a wide range of dress for the night, but has anyone here done that? TIA!

We will be in Europe for over two weeks before the cruise going from planes, trains and yes, automobiles, :rotfl:. I am really beginning to consider not bringing formal formal night clothes.

I have to pack for five people for a month. I need to keep it to three suitcases b/c of all the moving around we are doing. The idea of having to fit suit coats, dress shoes etc. is becoming more and more unrealistic.

Has anyone on here not dressed up? We will have nice clothes, just not formal. I know I always read there is a wide range of dress for the night, but has anyone here done that? TIA!

The last two Euro cruises with Disney, we left our dress up/formal clothes at home. No way were we giving up space for them, nor did we want to tote them around on our non cruise adventure. I don't recall feeling out f place.

The last two Euro cruises with Disney, we left our dress up/formal clothes at home. No way were we giving up space for them, nor did we want to tote them around on our non cruise adventure. I don't recall feeling out f place.

That's good to hear! Thank you for the reply. My husband may even have to wear his hiking shoes with his dress pants ;)

No formal clothes for us either. Since the weight of the suitcase on the plane is an issue, I didn't bring formal last year and won't this year either. Lots of others don't either.

This was me last year, and we had 4 legs of our trip so mommy (me) had to pack and repack for each portion. It was a PITA.

I would not bring formal clothes, and I packed (for me and the girls) cotton sundresses so that the wrinkles came out easily and they'd pack real small.

For the kids clothes, I packed outfits together so that I could grab and stack to let DH know what the kids should wear so that he could help in the morning (otherwise they'd be pretty mismatched).

During the trip, we designated one specific suitcase for dirty laundry.

We'd put all the dirty laundry in a trash bag, and DH was responsible for repacking the dirty laundry and I'd do the clean laundry (which would change as we washed clothes).

This worked for us last year, but it was still a lot of work cuz kids get dirty so easily :rolleyes1

I am considering using Barcelona Day Tours post cruise, in part so as to avoid the potentially long line at the taxi stands. Does anyone have experience with this? Was it so bad that you wished you considered other options? Thank you! :flower3:

We used BDT last year when we left the port for a private tour then transfer to the airport. The driver guy was super friendly and was fluent in English. He was there 10 minutes earlier than us and we left the ship REALLY early (I think we were out by 8am).

If you walk off the ship early, I don't think you'd have problems with finding a taxi. If you plan on spending time in Barcelona before the airport, BDT is a really good option.

They do "sell out" though so I'd contact them asap if you're interested. My brother used them separately last year and they had to add him and his wife on b/c they contacted them so late.

VAT will be charged on the cruises that stay within the EU (the seven night, for example) If your cruise goes to Turkey, you are good.

When actually shopping in port in EU countries, the price you see is (generally) inclusive of VAT so that is what you pay at the register. It is a bit of culture shock for Europeans to pick up something in the USA and find out that tax is added at the register. :)

HTH :goodvibes

Oh, forgot to add.... I was on the last cruise of the season and there was no Med towel for sale... I don't know if there were any beforehand though

Also cash is king so some shop owners will "wave" the VAT if you use Euros and say I am leaving the country......haggle your way to a good price.

Hi everyone

Getting really excited about the cruise now but I have a few questions!

I see that a lot of you are not taking formal wear for formal night, I was really looking forward to getting dressed up for this but don't want to feel uncomfortable if no one else really does?

How much tax is added on to the items you buy in the shops on board and also are you able to pay with cash in the shops or do you have to add it on to your account?

Thanks

Hi everyone

I see that a lot of you are not taking formal wear for formal night, I was really looking forward to getting dressed up for this but don't want to feel uncomfortable if no one else really does?

How much tax is added on to the items you buy in the shops on board and also are you able to pay with cash in the shops or do you have to add it on to your account?

Thanks

I think the VAT in Spain is 20%.....I just got back from Italy and like stated before the VAT is included in the final item's price. You can add it to your on board account. We sailed twice on the Magic in the Med. and did it up formal night so we saw both dressed up and dressed down on that night.

Hi everyone

Thanks

I go all out while my husband just wears a jacket and tie. It's all fun. You won't be alone, but you may be one of the better dressed. I got tons (!) of compliments and I felt even more like a queen than usual. Also, the pictures come out fantastic!

If you are on one of the shorter cruises that don't hit a port outside the EU... the tax is 21% Ouch! But for me, I just figured I was paying in Euros instead of dollars, so for the price on the shelf of 10 dollars, I figured 10 Euros and that is just about what it came to... even less. For example, the Photo Disc and pictures is listed at 399.99 dollars. With VAT (even when pre-purchasing) the cost was 484 dollars. In Euros it came to 379.

With the pound being so much stronger than our currencies, you should still come out quite ahead:thumbsup2

VAT will be charged on the cruises that stay within the EU (the seven night, for example) If your cruise goes to Turkey, you are good. When actually shopping in port in EU countries, the price you see is (generally) inclusive of VAT so that is what you pay at the register. It is a bit of culture shock for Europeans to pick up something in the USA and find out that tax is added at the register. :) HTH :goodvibes Oh, forgot to add.... I was on the last cruise of the season and there was no Med towel for sale... I don't know if there were any beforehand though

Thanks!

For those of you who've already sailed/been to the Med, when you tap an ATM does it show your available balance like it does here in the US? Listed in Euros or US$?

Also what was your daily limit to tap an ATM? I know this would vary & I need to contact my bank but just curious.

Do you feel it was difficult to get enough cash because of the limits? We have prepaid everything except for tips for drivers of Rome in Limo, entrance to Accademia in Florence, entrance to Pompeii and the fee + tips to our Vatican & Pompeii guides from RiL. We won't need to be buying train tix, etc so hopefully not huge sums of cash needed but just curious.
I'd prefer to use a cc for most purchases. Were there a lot of places that accept cash only?
:goodvibes

How did you prepay for your RIL tours? It is my understanding they only want cash and you pay after the tour! I would love to pay up front and not worry about carrying the cash. Thanks!

How did you prepay for your RIL tours? It is my understanding they only want cash and you pay after the tour! I would love to pay up front and not worry about carrying the cash. Thanks!

I think I remember getting an email after I booked RiL saying I could pre-pay via CC or bank transfer. I'll look and see if I still have it.

I think I remember getting an email after I booked RiL saying I could pre-pay via CC or bank transfer. I'll look and see if I still have it.

This. Our email stated we had to wire the cash to a bank in Miami. We had all 3 Italian tours booked through RIL so it was a lot of money. We were really nervous and I felt like I was being scammed. Another Diser said they had done it with no issues so I felt It would be ok in the end which it was.

This was me last year, and we had 4 legs of our trip so mommy (me) had to pack and repack for each portion. It was a PITA.

I would not bring formal clothes, and I packed (for me and the girls) cotton sundresses so that the wrinkles came out easily and they'd pack real small.

For the kids clothes, I packed outfits together so that I could grab and stack to let DH know what the kids should wear so that he could help in the morning (otherwise they'd be pretty mismatched).

During the trip, we designated one specific suitcase for dirty laundry.

We'd put all the dirty laundry in a trash bag, and DH was responsible for repacking the dirty laundry and I'd do the clean laundry (which would change as we washed clothes).

This worked for us last year, but it was still a lot of work cuz kids get dirty so easily :rolleyes1

That's a good idea to have a designated "dirty" suitcase. We will be staying in apartments in Iceland and Paris that have washer and dryer, so I hope to be able to keep up with all our dirty clothes! But sounds like the dress clothes will stay at home :thumbsup2

We are hopefully going to Palo on formal night to skip the dressing up - but I think it's great if people want to dress up, I think you should!

I'm hoping DH can get into Palo with the clothes we have - he has pants and long sleeve button up shirt - and some shoes that I am hoping will pass... but if not, we will just eat on deck!

Kim

We like to dress up and get pictures. I packed lightweight dresses for me and DD. Rented tuxes for DH and DS. That way they also had dress shoes for the week without having to pack their huge shoes. Just had to bring black socks for them and we were set.

This. Our email stated we had to wire the cash to a bank in Miami. We had all 3 Italian tours booked through RIL so it was a lot of money. We were really nervous and I felt like I was being scammed. Another Diser said they had done it with no issues so I felt It would be ok in the end which it was.

Thanks for your reply. I would love to do this to avoid having the responsibility of carrying that much cash or getting it from ATMs along the way! I see that RIL is based out of Miami so I might call and see if we can pay upfront.

Thanks for your reply. I would love to do this to avoid having the responsibility of carrying that much cash or getting it from ATMs along the way! I see that RIL is based out of Miami so I might call and see if we can pay upfront.

It made it so much easier to not have to tap ATMs for so much cash. I brought envelopes for tips for each port. So since we had 2 nights in Barcelona I had some time to calculate tips and stuff envelopes accordingly with euros. I put them all in the ships safe then each morning in port just grab the envelope and go.
IIRC RIL gaves us 5% off to pay in full up front. I would have rather paid by cc but still better than having to pay at the end of each tour. I dont like to carry a lot of cash.

Please don't flame me, I have been reading these threads until my eyes are crossed and I do not remember seeing much about excursions in Catania (Sicily) or Corfu. Can any other cruisers please give me some advice???

We are traveling on the 12 Night June 14th cruise out of Barcelona ending June 26th in Venice. There will be 3 adults and 3 kids 915,15 & 17).
We have decided to do

Villefranche: on our own,
La Spezia: doing Cinque Terre on our own (Ferry & Train) (was going to be Rome in Limo Lucca & Tuscan Riviera but decided we might like CT better)
Civitavecchia: all day Rome in Limo
Naples (renting a private boat for the day) (exclusivecruises.it) (had Rome in Limo but think a private boat would be much more fun than a land excursion)
Catania: ????? Is there enough to see here to hire Rome in Limo?
Corfu: have the Dassia Beach Package booked with DCL but are thinking it might be best to DIY (I hate being herded and waiting for long lines of people)
Dubrovnik: Scenic Cruise & Beach Time with DCL but have read in Rick Steve's Mediterranean Cruise Ports it is a 25 min walk to the same beach
Venice: On our own

It seems that most of the Disney excursions are filled with "hurry up an wait scenerios" I also hate that we only get an hour or so in some spots where we may want to linger. Don't get me wrong I love Disney but am not wild about their excursions. Since there are 6 of us we can hire drivers and go at our own pace for close to what a DCL excursion would cost. The only real splurge is hiring a private boat for the day at Naples but it sounds so appealing.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter