• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May the Force be with who? A May 2013 PTR

The comparison:

FROM THE DISNEY SITE:

8 days/7 nights POR-Riverside REGULAR SEASON
regular DDP
7 day base tickets

$3804.64

ME BREAKING IT INTO PIECES:
8 days/7 nights STUDIO at BWI rented DVC points (basing price from David's)
regular DDP
7 day base tickets from UT

$3,291.64

For the record, DH refuses to stay value. His first trip on property we stayed at CSR and he doesn't want to try any resort lower than there.

Norma said for what I'm planning to spend on the room, we may be able to get a room bigger than a studio. Her exchange for a 2 bedroom in high season at BLT was about $1800. Being that BWI is lower on the totem pole for points, she may find us a deal. She also said knowing that we are looking now will help immensely.

The biggest thing is that we stay in the EP resort area since we are going for SWW. I know I can't possibly get DH up early enough to board a bus from an outlying resort in order to make it to the park on time.

The other major variable will be if I can get DS into a YES class. That could potentially save us $500+.

I have a friend who owns RCI vacation club. Well, it's actually blue/green, but RCI exchangeable. Which means it's DVC exchangeable.

She has offered us points in the past and from talking to her today, will be the way to go. She has more than they can use for next year and in the future since her son is no longer a CM.

Gottcha :thumbsup2

The comparison:

FROM THE DISNEY SITE:

8 days/7 nights POR-Riverside REGULAR SEASON
regular DDP
7 day base tickets

$3804.64

ME BREAKING IT INTO PIECES:
8 days/7 nights STUDIO at BWI rented DVC points (basing price from David's)
regular DDP
7 day base tickets from UT

$3,291.64

For the record, DH refuses to stay value. His first trip on property we stayed at CSR and he doesn't want to try any resort lower than there.

Norma said for what I'm planning to spend on the room, we may be able to get a room bigger than a studio. Her exchange for a 2 bedroom in high season at BLT was about $1800. Being that BWI is lower on the totem pole for points, she may find us a deal. She also said knowing that we are looking now will help immensely.

The biggest thing is that we stay in the EP resort area since we are going for SWW. I know I can't possibly get DH up early enough to board a bus from an outlying resort in order to make it to the park on time.

The other major variable will be if I can get DS into a YES class. That could potentially save us $500+.

I think it is great that you have 11 months to plan. You can prepare and put together cost comparisons. I know played around with things for what seemed like forever...but in the end, I think I really liked having a year to plan things. (much better than a month :rolleyes:)

I had to pop over and check out your PTR because I am planning on going to WDW at the same time.:yay: I originally was planning on going from Sun to Sat but have been thinking I could save some money on plane tickets if I go from Tues/Weds to Tues. I am just wait for the package price to come out to make sure I wouldn't be spend more money at the resorts.

I have thought about renting DVC points, but never doing it before I am a little nervous about it. When it comes to it I am probably just going to do a Pop since it will be just my DD and me.:goodvibes

Hope to see you at the World next May.:thumbsup2

Looks like a significant saving with your second option. I think you are very wise to stick with the Ep resorts for easy access to DHS. :thumbsup2

I had to pop over and check out your PTR because I am planning on going to WDW at the same time.:yay: I originally was planning on going from Sun to Sat but have been thinking I could save some money on plane tickets if I go from Tues/Weds to Tues. I am just wait for the package price to come out to make sure I wouldn't be spend more money at the resorts.

I have thought about renting DVC points, but never doing it before I am a little nervous about it. When it comes to it I am probably just going to do a Pop since it will be just my DD and me.:goodvibes

Hope to see you at the World next May.:thumbsup2
First off,

:welcome:

Second, traveling on off days does save you money. We've found leaving on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and sometimes Sundays saves us on airfare by avoiding peak travel days.

I was just shocked DH wanted to go Tus-Tus... :woohoo:

I was leery of renting DVC too, but since my friend can get it for cheap with her vacation club and her son isn't a CM any more, she won't be using as many points as she has been. We talked recently and she was saying she's looking to do a cruise next year, which will be even fewer points, so she'll have points to burn. This is the lady I went WDW with last May and we stayed at the place they normally stay. Except she booked the three bedroom for that one.

How old is your DD??

Looks like a significant saving with your second option. I think you are very wise to stick with the Ep resorts for easy access to DHS. :thumbsup2
I have to considering I had to promise DH no more pre-RD breakfasts.

Ever again.

If he wants to get anything done for SWW, he's going to have to get up early. I have a much better chance at getting him there if we're close. :goodvibes

kwitcherkicken99 said:
First off,

:welcome:

Second, traveling on off days does save you money. We've found leaving on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and sometimes Sundays saves us on airfare by avoiding peak travel days.

I was just shocked DH wanted to go Tus-Tus... :woohoo:

I was leery of renting DVC too, but since my friend can get it for cheap with her vacation club and her son isn't a CM any more, she won't be using as many points as she has been. We talked recently and she was saying she's looking to do a cruise next year, which will be even fewer points, so she'll have points to burn. This is the lady I went WDW with last May and we stayed at the place they normally stay. Except she booked the three bedroom for that one.

How old is your DD??

She turns 7 next sat.

That's great!

It a dream of mine to take the kids on a solo trip each.

Does she know you are going or are you keeping it a surprise?

I was going to keep it a secret, but she remembered that I promised to take her when I took my son last year.:lmao:

I think it is great that you have 11 months to plan. You can prepare and put together cost comparisons. I know played around with things for what seemed like forever...but in the end, I think I really liked having a year to plan things. (much better than a month :rolleyes:)
Absolutely.

I can't go down there without having this much time to plan.

I don't want to waste the money on a short trip!

I quit...

Per allears.net's weekly newsletter:
"Disney's California Grill will be closing for an extensive renovation beginning January 6, 2013. The restaurant is slated to reopen late summer and will be sporting a new look. Chef Brian Piasecki is very excited -- with the "enhancements to the interactive kitchen we'll be able to give a fresh spin to California Grill classics, and add some cutting-edge new selections to the menu."

This was one of the meals DH said we could do this time. FINALLY.

And now I can't.
brick-wall-017.gif
Stoopid refurbs.

I saw that and wondered how many people it was going to affect. I am sorry you are one of them. :sad2:

I did a lot of homework last night and it appears that I'll be replacing the CG meal with either Citrico's, Narcoossee's, or Flying Fish. The more I think about it, it'll be either Narcoossee's or Flying Fish.

I'm not a huge liker of fish BUT the menus at FF and Narcoossee's appear to be more modifiable to my pepper allergy than the menu at Citrico's where most of the stuff seems to have longer preparation of sauces and reductions.

The deciding factor will be what DH picks. I printed up the entree menus of all three, removed the list price, and had him look at it. I don't like for him to get hung up on cost when he's deciding on what he wants to eat. More than a year out...

:scratchin

I guess I AM being a bit over ambitious...

I mean, we can't make ADRs until December.

Getting a bit worried.

DH is retracting on Tuesday to Tuesday and now wants to go for no more than 7 days. He really wants six, but I'm not doing that again! It was okay for what we did, but we have more that we want to do.

I've already figured out half of our days and meals!

And dangit! I want to stay longer! :rotfl2:

Can you build in a down day or hang out on resort day for DH? Maybe if he gets some additional rest, he might stick with Tue2Tue. :flower3:

He wants 2 @ MK, 1 @ EP, 2 @ DHS, and 1 @ AK and a rest day.

I contend we need 2 days @ MK, EP, and DHS and 1 @ AK with a rest day smack dab in the middle of the trip to refresh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter