May 10, 2008 New Ship Of Thieves...May 2008 Repo Thread...Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woody mentioned he was keeping a list - One thing I thought of is why do you have to have all shore excursions on one page - why not port by port with a drop down, that would make confirming easier than the site trying to load the entire page???? REally, ticket sites dealw ith thousands of hits when shows open up...

Actually there is a drop down menu, and it will hide the ports you did not select, without reloading the page. It does have to load the full page, all port, first, which is where most of the frustration comes in. At least you can sort afterwards to make it less confusing.

Pj

OK guys, I just got off the phone with Debbie, from Disney Cruise Line. She is in charge of shore excursions. Didn't take too long to get a call back . . .

Here's some information for you:

The availability for shore excursions was all listed at the 90 day mark. If it is showing there is no more availability, there really is no more availability. That excursion is now full. They are attempting to add more availability, and she suggests you check back. The one excursion that she knows for sure they are really trying to add to is the canopy tour in PV.

If you have questions or concerns, about excursions, you can contact her at:

DCL shore excursion@disney.com

She told me that there are spaces between DCL, shore, and excursion, but if that does not work, try it without spaces.

Since I was not personally looking for any excursions, it was kind of hard for me to make any request other than to say that several of my friends were looking for excursions.

As to Palo, she gave me some information that I will PM to PJ, most of which I think she already has. I am not going to post it here, because I want to make absolutely certain that our groups are first in line for the availability of the private room, and that others that may be lurking do not take advantage.

She was very nice, and courteous. It was nice to talk to a real person.

I once again emphasized that the web site is a disaster, and she told me that they are aware of the problem.

That's it for now.

I've been reading on the main forum about the missing fish extender and magnets.

Have any of you brought your decorations in for the night?

On our one and only cruise, we had a magnet travel several doors down. We were able to retrieve it . I did keep it on the inside of the door for a day, but repositioned it the last night.

I think writing your stateroom number or name on the back is a good idea. I used a plastic zip thing to attach my FE to the fish last time. We had a bunch of dis magnets but none that were especially valuable or special but didn't have any disappear.

you can always zip tie your FE to the fish...then the thief would have to actually cut it.
I am not sure we have ever had anything taken?? I think this cruise will be filled with so many DCL veterans that I would hope nothing like that would happen.

OK guys, I just got off the phone with Debbie, from Disney Cruise Line. She is in charge of shore excursions. Didn't take too long to get a call back . . .

The availability for shore excursions was all listed at the 90 day mark. If it is showing there is no more availability, there really is no more availability. That excursion is now full. They are attempting to add more availability, and she suggests you check back. The one excursion that she knows for sure they are really trying to add to is the canopy tour in PV.

I once again emphasized that the web site is a disaster, and she told me that they are aware of the problem.

That's it for now.

I admire a man who can get results! Thanks for the information, the no more spots at 75 days is very helpful and lets me know to not stay up.

She told me that there are spaces between DCL, shore, and excursion, but if that does not work, try it without spaces.

Since I was not personally looking for any excursions, it was kind of hard for me to make any request other than to say that several of my friends were looking for excursions.

As to Palo, she gave me some information that I will PM to PJ, most of which I think she already has. I am not going to post it here, because I want to make absolutely certain that our groups are first in line for the availability of the private room, and that others that may be lurking do not take advantage.

That's it for now.

John

Thank for let us know. Yes, the web site is a disaster, Yes, I think so also they should prepare for Eastbound as their lot more repeat people well.

Scottishwee35

Is this the response to your letter?

Wow, if I had to wait until the 75 day mark I'ld be upset that they didn't hold anything in reserve. :sad2: Bad move on DCL's part.

Just another quick FYI, the number that Debbie called from is 407-566-3596 if anyone would want to call instead. It came up on caller ID as Disney Cruise Line.

John....Great letter. Thank you for taking the time to write it for all of us! Can't wait to see if you get a "real" response or more form letters. Is Amy doing well? Is she liking it there (can't remember where there is!)?

She is in the Philippines, and not liking it a whole lot. It is warm there though. They are on a crazy schedule - because they call the US, and are 13 hours ahead. So she is working all night, and sleeping a good part of the day. Yesterday, she finally saw the sun and went down to the pool.

I admire a man who can get results! Thanks for the information, the no more spots at 75 days is very helpful and lets me know to not stay up.

I would still send her an email though. If there is an excursion you really want, maybe she can email you if more availability occurs.

Is this the response to your letter?

Wow, if I had to wait until the 75 day mark I'ld be upset that they didn't hold anything in reserve. :sad2: Bad move on DCL's part.

Well, it may be the one advantage to being a castaway club member.

You know what I really wonder? I really wonder who read my email, and how it eventually got to Debbie. I bet that would be interesting . . .

We have about 5 deer that keep coming in our yard, a raccoon, and a neighbor spotted a bear :scared1: the other day.

That's it for now.

Thanks John.:thumbsup2

ARG!!! I'm fuming right now! I'm on hold with a DCL super because I can't get my son (6) to stay on the ressie for the Dolphin enounter in PV...I've booked him three times and he keeps dropping off. She's checking with the excursion desk because now she's saying he has to be 9 BUT the DCL website says it's for ages 3 AND UP!!! And the vendor's website says the same age. They are so screwed up. I told her she better be 100% sure that it's for 9 and older or else they should fix their website immediately. I have no idea what type of ship they're running, but it's not a tight one! (pun intended)!!! I'm disgusted...(and here I thought I was going to be "over it"...spoke WAY too soon).

OK guys, I wrote a letter . . .

Instead of Tom McAlpin, I sent it to Robert.Iger@disney.com

I copied roy.disney@disney.com, Tom.mcalpin@disney.com, and steve.jobs@apple.com . . . just a guess at email addresses, we'll see what happens.

Here is the letter:

Dear Bob,

(I hope it is OK to call you Bob)

I wanted to take a moment to fill you in on some difficulties my friends and I have had with the Disney Cruise Line reservation system.

You may have heard of the "DIS" boards, where everything Disney is discussed. Several friends of mine and I are members there, and we are all booked on the Panama Canal Repositioning cruise, West Bound. This last Saturday was the 90 day mark, wherein Castaway Club members have the opportunity for a "pain free" experience (as quoted in information sent to us) in booking reservations for excursions and Palo dining. We all anxiously awaited that date to firm up our plans. We were looking forward to getting online at midnight, booking our reservations, and going to bed shortly thereafter for Disney Dreams.

To say the least, this was NOT the experience. Many spent hours and hours trying to make reservations, deprived of sleep, and still unable to get this image out of their minds, as it is now seared in their brains:

20420fish-med.jpg

If Mr. McAlpin or other DCL executive happens to make an appearance on our cruise, we may just surprise him with a shirt with the above on it.

Should you wish to read a blow by blow account, I would direct you to this page of our meet thread where the madness began:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1709944&page=212

Since this is a family site, to say the least, the comments were restrained. Fortunately, I had gone to bed because one of our cruising companions was kind enough to do the honors to try and obtain reservations for us.

There was a similar experience with this cruise last year, where Disney Cruise Line was going to charge an additional $100 per guest for passage through the Panama Canal. After many emails, and finally contact from the media, Disney finally rescinded that announcement.

Needless to say, these experiences have left a very bad taste in the mouth of many of us, all of whom are great and loyal Disney fans.

However, I am thinking that what is worse is being treated like just another dollar sign by the staff at Disney. One of the things we all felt that Disney was known for in the entertainment industry is personalized service. When we attempted to contact Disney, and Disney Cruise Line, we get responses like this:

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for choosing a Disney Cruise Line Vacation!

I sincerely regret the challenges you've encountered while trying to
manage your reservation online.

Recently our website has been experiencing higher volume of traffic than
usual, as our Guests are preparing for their up coming Panama Canal
cruise.

I understand your concern, and I regret that the site was not been
permitting you to manage your reservation. Thank you for bringing the
matter to our attention.

I see that you pre-reserved:
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

We look forward to sailing with you!

Have a Magical Day!!!

JD
Reservations Department
Disney Cruise Vacations

*If applicable, please include your full name, reservation number, and
phone number on all correspondence.

Now Bob, we are all adults, many of us professionals, and we know a form letter when we see one. Is this the kind of response that would make you happy with a company when you had voiced a concern to them? Would you have a "Magical Day" after reading that response?

The overall conclusion we have reached is that your system is greatly flawed, and in need of revamping. With two new ships coming on soon, I am sure this is not the experience you want your guests to remember. One suggestion sent to Mr. McAlpin (which was not addressed at all) was that you allow booking for these things immediately upon payment in full, thus getting the money in your hands sooner, and allowing those who do so the opportunity to book these things in a more timely and ordered fashion. It has also been noted that Disney has outsourced their IT systems such as the Disney Cruise Line web site. If this is so, the outsourcing company should be FIRED. If they cannot handle the traffic of several hundred guests trying to book reservation requests, they are not worth whatever Disney is paying them. Perhaps some consultation with your friend (and large shareholder) over at Apple, Steve Jobs would be a good idea. None of us can believe that the founder of Walt Disney, Walt himself, would have ever stood for this level of customer service.

Every one of my friends and I continue to be amazed and delighted by the level of service while onboard the Disney Magic. You all should be very proud of the job that you do, and the return business of your guests reflects this. This will be our eighth Disney cruise since 2000, and we have no interest in any other cruise line. The level of service while not on the ship is another matter, and we are extremely disappointed and wonder if this can even be the same company.

I look forward to a non form letter response. I don't care if it is just a few sentences. However, should I get the same form and canned response as others, I will not be a happy camper, and I suggest that you give a more intelligent response to those who have already written as well. If I am told to have a "Magical Day" by someone, I will then decide whether to forward the correspondence on to the individual at the Orlando Sentinel who helped us out with the $100 fiasco last year. Perhaps the only way to get Disney to respond is by going to the Media.

Until then, I will not wish you a "Magical Day", and just say that I hope to hear from you or someone in Disney Management.

Sincerely,

John W. Halkias

DCL Reservation Number xxxxxxxx
Phone number xxx-xxx-xxxx

PS - DVC Member, Disney Shareholder (yeah I know, one share framed that my wife bought me for Christmas years ago), and message being sent from my Macbook, while my 7 year old daughter watches the Disney Channel on a school snow day.
John, YOU ROCK!!!!!! :worship: Yup, I'm quoting the WHOLE letter because it's so well written, it deserves being posted again. Wonderful job!

are there different levels of the dolphin encounter? When I was looking into them, forget which port, Haley could do one and the rest of us could do another :level: if that makes sense....

HI all...I guess the dis was down last night when I tried to get on...

John excellent letter and glad you received a call back. (I hope the call was in reference to your letter )
I heard from another cruiser who lurks (vicki...i know your out there) she had forgotten all about the 90 day window sat. night. So not every castaway member booked. It shouldn't have had the problems it did.
Holly You'll have to let us know how tylers afternoon was, since it's still morning here :) I hope he makes is and is good to go tomorrow. It's tough to have a sick kid who's bored home. I feel your pain this week.

I'm still on the fence about the hummer. It just is soooooo early to get up from wdw and go back to mco...if there's room at the end, i'll think about it. I am leaning on paying the $$ and having a car service pick us up at OKW. No busses, just us and the road. We can stop at the store too.

Well, hope you all have a fabulous day. We have a 4 day weekend this week, so todays my thursday...yahoo....

I look forward to our mini meet this weekend....

Thanks Marilyn.

I love late winter early spring....it's one of my favorites. It makes you feel rejuvinated again, like you survived another winter and were looking forward to the warm weather.

Unless you're V....then the winter lasts three days and the warm weather is back!

our tulips are peeking out, no heads with blooms, but their little leaves look wonderful :goodvibes

Thanks Marilyn.

I love late winter early spring....it's one of my favorites. It makes you feel rejuvinated again, like you survived another winter and were looking forward to the warm weather.

Unless you're V....then the winter lasts three days and the warm weather is back!

re quote....It's not early here because I won't have tulips on Valentines Day. Oh this just made me sad for Casey. We always take pictures with the kids AND CASEY with the tulips. Because she is Black & a little white, she looks so great against the flowers....:sad1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter