May 10, 2008 New Ship Of Thieves...May 2008 Repo Thread...Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I have to say I would assume a coffee house would go over very well in a retirement home setting. Lets see if anyone pops up with an example they know of.

I don't know, I think a Starbucks in a retirement home could be a real money drain from those who may find money tight.

It was meant as a joke, but I guess I am not doing a good job of that.

Retirement homes I know of in Indy have an ice cream parlor that is open every afternoon for social time and residents are welcome to go get themselves ice cream any time at all. There is also a popcorn machine like you might have at a Fair with popcorn at all times for residents, staff and guests. I thought that Starbucks fans might like a coffee shop also. Not to pay money, but to get social time. The owner would be paid by the retirement facility. I only thought about it so Nan would not have to go to Starbucks to get coffee for her Mom.

Lame I guess. Forget it............

Jan

It's amazing we all eat at the same places!

I'm thinking Olive Garden tomorrow. Anyone else?

Now why did you have to go and mention Olive Garden? I love that place, but we don't have one here in town. Now I'll be dreaming about fettucine alfredo. :)

It is not true that retired people do not have money. Those living in retirement homes are generally able to afford a Starbucks each day. :thumbsup2

I would think maybe then placement at a mid to higher income level home maybe? I think a lot of older retired people have more expendable income then some think. It is true many may be on a fixed income but lots have planned well for retirement quite well. I hope to be able to afford a starbucks or some kind of coffee every day and find someone willing to chat with me when I am older. :)

It was meant as a joke, but I guess I am not doing a good job of that.

Retirement homes I know of in Indy have an ice cream parlor that is open every afternoon for social time and residents are welcome to go get themselves ice cream any time at all. There is also a popcorn machine like you might have at a Fair with popcorn at all times for residents, staff and guests. I thought that Starbucks fans might like a coffee shop also. Then Nan would not have to go to Starbucks to get coffee for her Mom.

Lame I guess.

Jan

Really I got the joke but I was agreeing. I would love to have a starbucks closeby when I retire! By then the whole world will either be hooked on Starbucks or have revolted against them! :rotfl: I like the ice cream idea too. At that age you deserve to be able to indulge in whatever you want I think. :thumbsup2

I would think maybe then placement at a mid to higher income level home maybe? I think a lot of older retired people have more expendable income then some think. It is true many may be on a fixed income but lots have planned well for retirement quite well. I hope to be able to afford a starbucks or some kind of coffee every day and find someone willing to chat with me when I am older. :)

And we hope to continue cruising in our retirement. With a coffee at Cove Cafe! ;)

We have a coffee stand in the lobby of the VA hospital where I work. There are daily long lines of disabled veterans and spouses enjoying a coffee. For some, I know it is a treat they don't get often, but others have managed well and can afford these simple pleasures. Of course, we employees indulge also. ;)

I'm not sure that there is a specific age though. My mom is 82, still drives a few miles from where she lives. She is very active still though, mows her own yard, babysits for my nieces very active 1 yo for a couple of hours at a time, etc. She lives 2 hours from us and it has been several years since she has driven here. Mid 70s she was uncomfortable driving in heavy traffic thru Portland and on roads she was not familiar with. She now takes Amtrak when she wants to visit us. But, I don't feel uncomfortable with her driving the couple of miles to the Dr. or to Walmart. She still sees fine and is mentally able to make quick decisions. She voluntarily stopped driving here though, so I hope that when the time does come that she will voluntarily stop driving at all.

yes I totally agree. Not everyone is the same at an elder age, nor at 16/18 should you automatically be given the right to drive. I wish there was a plan in place to check on aging drivers to make sure they are still safe to drive.

Funny story about Paul's grandpa. When he was getting up in years the town he lived in, Park River ND installed a stop sign (their first one) and they decided to place in not the route that Grandpa Bill drove on, because he wouldn't stop for it anyways. :lmao: Gotta love small towns and there way of dealing with getting older huh?

:lmao: :lmao: Oh please do not tell HIM this! He thinks he still wears a size 32 waist pants, just like when he got out of the Army! :lmao: :lmao:

Are you switching the labels for him ???? only a sign of true love and denial :lmao:

Yea, it looks like I have my car taken care of. Another disser and I will share a car to the port and they will stop for groceries. YEA YEA YEA!
I still haven't found discounted 2 day tix to wdw, most of the sites charge MORE for 2 days than the park does. So I guess I'll be ordering them from the disney site.
V- I feel your pain buying a car....lemme tell you this, I bought my volvo s60 from the dealer, but it was a loaner car. It had 7k miles on it and was marked down 15k from the msrp. I blue booked it and it was worth more than what they wanted for it. Have you thought of that? The reassuring thing was since it was a loaner car they really kept it up. They like you to drive a nice car.(wanting you to want that next time). I was torn between the pilot and the volvo. I chose the volvo because all of the service was included until you hit 60k and they have loaner cars for you to drive. Honda offered me NOTHING. And I loved hondas. My last car was an accord and it was 10 years old! Only thing I ever did was oil/brakes/tires. Of course, the engine finally gave out after 10 years. BUT that was good for me!
Good luck in your search. I wouldn't go the minivan route either...
BTW...Patti Lupone is amazing, but Madonna can sing...seen her 7 times in concert and she's amazing! Hard core madonna fan here...she was the first concert I ever went to at 16!

I'm telling ya, it's a good choice for 2 kids and 2 dogs & a husband that loves sports...with one child I'd not want it either. Something smaller would be the choice I'd agree.

And over on the DL threads there are really, really good tips from Hydroguy. Just near the top of the threads. I have used his fastpass stradegy in July, bad crowds and we rode everything we wanted, several times with no waits. :thumbsup2

Thanks for posting this.Staying a week after at Paradise Pier and will have to read about his strategy.

yes I totally agree. Not everyone is the same at an elder age, nor at 16/18 should you automatically be given the right to drive. I wish there was a plan in place to check on aging drivers to make sure they are still safe to drive.

Funny story about Paul's grandpa. When he was getting up in years the town he lived in, Park River ND installed a stop sign (their first one) and they decided to place in not the route that Grandpa Bill drove on, because he wouldn't stop for it anyways. :lmao: Gotta love small towns and there way of dealing with getting older huh?

:rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl: Yes, love the way small town folks take care of each other!!

And I agree that there should be some mechanism to determine the safety of elder drivers. I deal with this alot at work. Our docs will send reports to the DMV if they believe a person is not safe to drive, then the driver has to either take a test and pass or get a release from an MD to get it back, depending on the reason for the report. (seizures you can get a release from MD that you have been seizure free for a certain period of time.) Folks get really mad at the docs when these are sent in. I deal with the anger. :sad2: :scared:

I totally agree. I have a friend who gave her car to a granddaughter when she turned 80.

DH's father is a menace on the road. Has had accidents and damaged his car. He lives alone, far from all his kids and thinks he is immortal.

One sister-in-law and I fear he will not take someone out, he will handicap them for life. She is a special ed preschool teacher and I am a PT. We have seen conditions the rest of the family cannot comprehend.

They all think he is fine. Since we are in-laws there is little we can do. Her husband is financial power of attorney so she can bug him about it. Another brother is medical power of attorney.

DH has no job and is thankful for that. So I keep my mouth shut and pray for the safety of people on the road when FIL is driving.

Jan :earsgirl:

Hard place to be I know :hug:

Does anyone know how to change your screen name? without losing your info, posts avatar etc?

can't happen that we know. If you find a way please share with us. A few of us that won't be named (john & nan) have less than creative DIS names and would be up for a change.:lmao: :lmao:

Are you switching the labels for him ???? only a sign of true love and denial :lmao:

:lmao: :rotfl: No need for label switching. He would need reading glasses to read the label. Just don't keep any of those near the closet!! :lmao: Whatever keeps my guy happy! :laughing: :love:

Guess we aren't going out to breakfast, that is what happens when one sister gets up at the crack o dawn and the other sleeps in. Wonder when she'll be ready for lunch???

HEY EVERYBODY!!!!

I bet you are getting all excited in your planning, Jackie keeps me up to date so I know and still feel a part of the plans. I am so happy for all of you.

Just popped in to say "hey"!:lovestruc

HI BACK AT YA!!!! Yup I yelled that so she could hear me :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Thanks for posting this.Staying a week after at Paradise Pier and will have to read about his strategy.

Tues, Wed and Thurs after you should not have crowds to deal with. That is our favorite week to go. But, if you are there on Monday (a holiday) his stradegy is great!

What a brilliant idea! Okay, I'm off to ebay to do some shopping!

She just got a new one Thursday from a young man :scared1: who asked her to be his Valentine! (Talk about knowing the way to her heart!!! :love: ) You can bet she won't be trading that one anytime soon! (I'm SO not ready for this boy/girl thing.......:eek: )

young romance....ahhhhhh...glad it's in your house and not mine....I'm so not ready.....

Wilson has(had) an older girl friend (he was in 1st she was in 2nd) and he brought her back a Jamine pin from WDW, as that is his favorite princess (duh, have ya seen her???) and turns out it was his girlfriends too. It was so cute to watch him give it to her.:love:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter