Marching Our Way to a Healthy Lifestyle ~ March 2016 WISH Challenge

Question of the Day - Tuesday, March 1st:

The Main Street Electrical Parade, which started at Disneyland in1972 and debuted at Magic Kingdom in 1977, has been through several incarnations. The currently incarnation began at Magic Kingdom in June 2010, and it features floats and live performers covered in thousands of electronically controlled lights and a soundtrack featuring the song "Baroque Hoedown." The parade shows several nights per week (and every night during “busier” seasons), with some nights having multiple showings.

Just like that Tinkerbell float signals the start of the parade, so too a discussion of our goals for the month signals the start of a new monthly challenge. So let’s start this month off discussing a tried and true topic – what we want to accomplish in the month of March.

What is your goal for the month of March?
What is your plan to meet that goal?
What obstacles will stand in your way this month? How do you plan to overcome those obstacles?

I LOVE the theme. It's so smart! I'm going to have huge issues living up to these standards next month.

Anyway

The Goal
Lose 6 lbs, and track my inches. Yes I want to buy a measuring tape and actually track myself that way. I went down a pant size without losing any real amount of weight. Stupid muscles. Sub goal is getting into the gym more to start cross training better. My core is a joke. This isn't a commitment, just something I need to start getting into the habit of doing.

The Plan
Not sit and eat Chinese food like I did today. Actually forcing myself into the gym once/twice a week will also help with the plan. Maybe actually do the nutritionist thing. Which is big and scary for me on multiple levels, but I keep talking about it so I need to just rip the band aid off and do it.

The Obstacles
Per usual I am my biggest obstacle. If I can figure out how to get out of my own way I'll be amazing at this.

For the thread noobs I'm Amber. I'm 28. I run, I go to Disney, I have two bunnies. That basically sums me up. There's work and all that boring stuff too, but that's the fun cliffs notes version. I have a bit of weight to lose, but I'm using running as a way to teach myself how to take care of my body and fuel it properly.

Last edited:
I'm in again!

I love those Disney parades but I can never get DH and 2DS to stake out a place and sit and wait for them. We have to get kind of lucky to be in the right place at the right time to catch them.

QOTD- My goal is to lose 3.5 lbs. I think thats realistic because I have 2 family birthdays and a WDW trip this month. I will be thrilled if I am down 3.5 at the end of month. I plan on trying to get more veggies in daily food, more steps, and find some better snack foods for home.

My goal for March is to lose a pound a week. My plan to meet my goal is to get 10,000 steps a day, do my back exercises (works the core muscles) and some leg/but exercises to hopefully help thin down my thighs. I have a few obstacles. I am a busy mom of two kids. My daughter is 8 and my son will be turning 10 soon. They are both involved in sports so I will be running around with them. Basketball just ended so that will be one less activity until baseball starts. I also work full time at a desk job and I am involved the PTA at the kids school. My plan will be to take 30 minutes of my lunch and walk. I will also do my exercises at home after the kids go to bed. If I have a PTA meeting I will work them in either before or after the meeting. For some long term changes I have do is to take a step back from the PTA. This year was rough and overwhelming. I have been feeling like I have been at meetings constitutionally I have decided not to be on the board next year and just help out I can. That won't help too much now but as for going forward into the summer and next year it will free up a lot of time.

Wow, it definitely sounds like you're very busy - I can't imagine how hectic your days must be! I think it's amazing that you realized that you need to take a step back from the PTA, and hopefully that will help you have more time to focus on you and being healthy!

Last month, this thread really helped me stay focused on my goal and I exceeded it. So, because this is a goal and something to STRIVE for, I'm going to set my goal at 10 lbs. I may not make it, but at least I'll be reaching and striving all through the month.

I love that you're setting an ambitious goal! One of my favorite sayings is: “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.” If you set ambitious goals, even if you fall a little short, you'll still make amazing progress.

How I will get there. I do want to eat breakfast every day. I did much better last month on this mini-goal. I did "cheat" a little last month and bought a few lean cuisine breakfasts each week to make it easier. I know they are full of processed garbage, but baby steps. I think I will do that again this month. Maybe next month will involve all homemade breakfasts.

Breakfast is so important! It's definitely better to make your own breakfasts, but it's totally understandable that you don't always have time. Have you tried making some easily freezable breakfasts in advance and then defrosting them when you need something fast? That's even better than the lean cuisine breakfasts, and it can be fast and easy when you're running behind schedule.

BRING ON MARCH, let's all have a great month!

YES!!

I can't believe it's already March!

I'm joining in again - this will be my first full month (I joined in the middle of last month). As a bit of an introduction - I'm 45 and am from Illinois (in the St. Louis metro area though) and have been married for 23 years. We have 3 kids - 19, 17 and 13, so they keep me busy! Our oldest started college this past fall so now lives a little over 3 hours away :(, but she is coming home this Friday for her spring break!! She hasn't been home since MLK weekend, so it'll be great to have some time with her again! Middle DD is a senior this year, so we'll be adjusting to one less at home again next fall. Our DS is in the 8th grade and keeps us busy with his sports (which I love to watch)!

I've got a LOT to lose and have been on a roller coaster most of my adult life. I haven't really seriously "dieted" for a few years. I keep telling myself that I would, but never said it out loud and never made any real changes. We love to travel and every time we'd plan a trip, I'd tell myself that I was going to lose xx number of pounds before the trip, but I'd start after this or that and just never really started. Well, this time I'm hoping that it's different!

My goal this month is to lose 2 pounds a week, so looking at the calendar, I'm thinking that I'll count that as 10 pounds total since my weigh-in day is on Wednesday. My second official weigh-in is tomorrow. I lost 5 pounds in my first week, but am hoping that I can get 2 pounds this week. I've stayed within my calorie range each day according to MFP, but on my peeks on the scale, it just hasn't seemed to move much. We'll see though. Each weekend I'll report what I lost when I weighed on Wednesday (if that' ok). I've been using MFP to track my eating and I'm also planning on upping my exercise a bit. I've been on my new lifestyle for just 2 weeks now and haven't really added that part in yet. I'm planning on doing that this month - mostly with walking for now.

Let's all have a great March!

Welcome back - I'm so glad you're joining us again this month!!
I think walking is the perfect way to add in exercise. It's something that doesn't seem hard at all but can still be a great workout. I hope it helps you reach your goal!
(And of course it's okay to use your Wednesday weigh-in for your weekend report!)

Hi, I'm Savannah and I'm new here. I'm almost 30, and work in medical records. I have lost 54 pounds since November 1, and am hoping to lose 5 more in March! I have fought with my weight on and off most of life, but battled some health issues in 2014 and 2015 and gained almost 70 pounds in those two years. I'm happily married with a miniature schnauzer and we'll be adopting a second dog soon.

I had been a runner before I got sick, but my big goal for March is to continue to train for the half marathon I'm planning on walking in June!

I plan on continuing to track my calories every day, get my steps in on my fitbit, and work out 6 days a week. My biggest obstacle will be a small surgery I'm having on March 14th, because the scope and recovery time from it are unknown until the procedure gets started.

Welcome, Savannah! I'm so glad you're joining us this month!
I hope your surgery goes okay and doesn't interfere too much with your ability to work towards a healthier life!

I just gotta say-- I love the whole pun of marching in March!

Thank you! I'm glad someone enjoys my sense of humor!

GOAL: I lost 3.5lbs last month by just tracking and moderately working out. I am going to up that oh-so-slightly to a goal of 4 lbs for the month.

PLAN: Tracking, tracking, tracking in MFP! Also, it takes time and ticks off DH, but anytime we are deciding to go grab something to eat when we are out, I won't make a decision until I check MFP for what's going to be the better option and plan ahead what to order. So basically, it's a plan to plan!

OBSTACLES: The only two obstacles I foresee this month are St. Patty's Day and Easter. DH's Irish family do a big thing on St. Pats with yummy food and lots of drinks..... and Easter candy has already entered the house (DH loves Dove dark chocolate bunnies....). I just have to keep this in check!

Great goal - and I think that tracking consistently will really help get you there!

Funny freak-snow story. 7 years ago today, three of my girlfriends and I drove to Memphis (the weekend before spring break) from Jackson, TN to visit my family and shop. If you're not familiar with west TN, Jackson and Memphis are about an hour apart on Interstate 40. Usually 45 minutes when I'm the driver - LOL - but roughly an hour. There was no inclement weather forecast so we didn't think anything of it. We get to the mall and hear reports of snow possibly moving in, but of course we figure 1) it's March 2) this came out of nowhere 3) it NEVER snows when they say it's going to - so we go about our day, shop, grab lunch, and go to my parents' house to have dinner. We leave my parents' house and it's starting to flurry, but still we didn't think anything of it, especially because we only had an hour drive before we were back at school. So we stop for ice cream on our way out! Fast forward 20 minutes, and we're only about 20 miles outside of Memphis, when we get stuck. I mean STUCK. The snow had picked up drastically, and a few miles up ahead of us, unbeknownst to us, an 18-wheeler jack-knifed on the interstate, and there was no going anywhere. We were stuck in a miles-long line of cars, both ahead and behind us. Did I mention we only had a half tank of gas because we only had to drive an hour? What should've taken an hour to get back to school took us 10 hours. Because there was absolutely no moving, we had to turn the car off after a little while, so we were all freezing, and this was before everyone had iPhones (WOW do I feel old... This was only 2009!!) so we had no way of knowing what was going on or how long we'd be on the interstate. It was such a long, crazy night, but it's our FAVORITE story now, haha.

That is insanity! I would have freaked out like nobody's business if that happened to me. But at least you got a fun story out of it!

My main obstacle is that my day is SO sedentary because I spend all of my time at a craft table and behind the computer. I'm putting my shop in vacation mode tonight, though, in order to catch up on some bulk orders I've received and to work on some new items for my shop, and I'm hoping that allowing myself this slight break will help me refocus and reschedule. I've got to figure out a way to really separate my work-at-home life from my home-at-home life. HOPEFULLY this weekend we'll be knocking out the final details on my office/studio/craft room which means I can finally have my living room back, and I'm hoping that being able to remove work from the primary room of the house will also allow me to definitely step away (STEP being the active term here!) and give me more distinct boundaries. We'll see!

I have a similar problem because I "work" from home ... it's definitely tough. I think that having the craft room will help a lot.
If at all possible, it may also help you to set "work hours" - for example, only work on orders between 10 AM and 6 PM, or do 10-2 and 4-8 with a 2-hour break in the middle. That way you're forcing yourself to step away from the orders and take some time to focus on you.

I need to get my schedule back under control. I legitimately do not want to be up until 2 or 3 every night and sleep until noon the next day. I don't know how to break that cycle, though, as I have ALWAYS been a night owl. Also, I love sleep. But then I feel like I'm wasting my day, no matter how much I get done after that. And I feel a lot of pressure to get stuff done quickly because I got up so late.

My sister has something similar right now (she has afternoon classes, so she'll sleep until 10-11 because she doesn't have to leave the house until after 12:30). She's found that it's easier for her to get up if she has something that she needs to do in the morning. Can you try making yourself an "appointment" to do something in the morning? Even if it's just saying that you want to always take the dog out for a walk at 8:30 AM, maybe that'll help you get up earlier, and once you're getting up earlier, you'll want to go to sleep earlier to get more sleep.

Some more background info on me, Lizanne:

I'm 59, and will hit the big 6-0 in June... yikes, internally I still feel like I'm 23 and I'm sure I act like it sometimes. Never been married and don't have any (human) kids, both of which help to perpetuate the still-23-years-old myth. I've struggled with my weight all my life: I managed to get down to the 160's about 5 years ago but the past 3+ years I've been hovering around 210 and last fall/winter managed to eat myself up to 220, which was my starting point when I joined WW at the beginning of this year. I've known I am a sugar addict for many years... it is my drug of choice. Last year I was eating my stress (a quart of ice cream for dinner each evening) and the rock bottom turning point came with a succession of three nasty colds that I couldn't shake, and that sent me to the doctor where we found out I had high blood pressure, low thyroid function and was pre-diabetic. Time to stop messing around and get serious. To date I've dropped 20 pounds and already feel much, much better.

GOALS for March:
-5 pounds, which will put me at 194
walk 125 miles

PLAN:
125 miles means maintaining 10,000 steps per day, which is totally do-able, since my goal is actually to be up around 15,000. I frequently have FitBit step challenges going with friends to help make this more fun. If anyone would like to link up and do a March To It step challenge, in FitBit I am Popperfisk@gmail.com.

I will stick to the WW plan, tracking all my food. I recently got a food scale, which I love, to help make sure I am on track. I am loving the program, primarily because you can have whatever you want, which really helps to stave off cravings and feeling deprived.

Mid-month I will also start Pilates... I've lost enough girth around my waist that I can now be more flexible and get more out of the program.

OBSTACLES:
The past two days I've had this weird guilty feeling like I'm eating too much, even though I'm eating to plan and not even using my weeklies. I think this might be related to not spreading my eating out across the day and eating too much in a single sitting, so I am going to change this and make sure I've got better balance.

The other challenge is that I have vacation coming up the end of the month... I'll be doing a week and a half road trip thru central Texas. So I feel like I need to be pretty much at goal before I leave Easter weekend, so that cuts out some time, but -5 pounds in 4 weeks still seems like a realistic goal.

I think you have a great goal and a great plan to get you there!

Goal: 5 Workouts Per Week
My race calendar is full this month - during the next three weekends I will be running: one local 5K, one half marathon in Washington DC, and one 5K and one half marathon the same weekend in Dallas. Suffice to say, there needs to be an endurance build to expedite recovery time as I do more of these races. (total count: 2 5K and 2 Half Marathons during the first 20 days in March).

Just reading about your race schedule exhausts me! I think you will be running more in races alone than I will be the entire month!

Plan to Meet Goal:
  • Continuing to work with my personal trainer twice per week will allow me to reach 40% of my goal per week.
  • Leveraging the calendar created by my personal trainer and checking off that day's activity (ie: go to trainer, do the long run, etc.) Stick to the program. See benefits and rewards.

Your plan sounds basic, but really awesome! I think that if you can stick with your personal trainer and the program created for you, you'll have an awesome month!

---

I'm almost all caught up, but the laptop battery is going to die soon, so I'll have to stop here. I will finish catching up in a few hours. From all the responses we got to today's QOTD, it looks like it's going to be an awesome month, and I'm really excited!

My goals for the month are to Keep coming here once a day and to log all my food into Sparkpeople. My biggest obstacle this month is the fact that we are 9 days away from final dress rehearsal for Music Man that I am helping to costume. We have a lot of work to do but it within reach. We will be running the first act tomorrow night with costumes so we can see if there are problems. My biggest concern is that one of the main characters have no fancy dress that she needs. NONE. There are three of us working on the costumes. We gave this person just this dress to work on. She doesn't even have to make the dress just add to it to make it pretty. And she also has to make the vests for the barber shop quartet. These are big items and they are not done. (Thanks for letting me vent)

Wow, that costume issue sounds really frustrating. I really hope it gets resolved soon!

What is your goal for the month of March? My goal for the month is to loose 6 lbs. I am currently 178 and I think 6 lbs is a good number to try to achieve.

What is your plan to meet that goal? I am planning on working on my eating by trying not to stress eat and not as much snacking. I am a huge snacker and I stress eat which is a very bad combination. I plan on finding new things that are tasty snacks but are healthy and filling this month. I also am working out daily to go along with the good eating.

What obstacles will stand in your way this month? There is 2 weeks I will not be able to get in my long walks in. My kids will be having their spring break at the end of this month. I will also be watching 2 kids the week before spring break. Because of being out of routine I am fearful that my diet will take a negative turn. But I am hopefully I can control it.

How do you plan to overcome those obstacles? I plan on making workouts more into family walks, doing a walking DVD and when my oldest is at soccer walking laps around the field. I plan on really watching what I am eating over those 2 weeks so I can keep up the weightless.

I totally get where you're coming from with the stress eating and snacking - I'm the same way! But I've found that I really enjoy discovering healthy snacks, and hopefully you will too!
And I think it will be great if you can get the kids to go on walks with you! Family exercise is always great - it helps you get your exercise in and also teaches your kids that exercise is important.

I LOVE the theme. It's so smart! I'm going to have huge issues living up to these standards next month.

Thanks for the compliment on the theme. I'm sure you'll come up with something fun for next month (you've got a few weeks to think of something), and I'm excited to see what you'll come up with!

The Obstacles
Per usual I am my biggest obstacle. If I can figure out how to get out of my own way I'll be amazing at this.

I think a lot of people have this issue. It's easy to get in your own head and sabotage yourself. But know that we all believe in you, and we know you can do anything you set your mind to!

I'm in again!

I love those Disney parades but I can never get DH and 2DS to stake out a place and sit and wait for them. We have to get kind of lucky to be in the right place at the right time to catch them.

QOTD- My goal is to lose 3.5 lbs. I think thats realistic because I have 2 family birthdays and a WDW trip this month. I will be thrilled if I am down 3.5 at the end of month. I plan on trying to get more veggies in daily food, more steps, and find some better snack foods for home.

I'm glad you're back for this month! Your goal sounds very realistic, and hopefully you can reach that goal despite the birthdays and Disney trip!

---

Okay, I'm all caught up.
How did everyone's first day go?
I started off great ... had a nice run this morning, ate a decent breakfast, stayed away from buying most of the stuff I don't need at Target, and had a great lunch. But I kinda went off the rails in the afternoon. I am a little disappointed, but I'm hoping that I can do better tomorrow!

:welcome: to all the newcomers!! It is always great to see new people joining this wonderfully supportive group!

Of course I am also happy to see all the returning people! ;)

I think I still need to introduce myself a little and then answer yesterday's QOTD. So, my name is Magdalene, am in my early forties, I live in Germany (and am from there, so with our resident Australian @4Mickeys , I think we are the internationals in our little group here!). My boyfriend is American and lives there and this morning I said goodbye to him at the airport until July! :sad: I know, it sounds crazy to have a long distance relationship across the Atlantic, but somehow it works for us. While it was wonderful to have him here, this also caused me to not be around on this thread so much for the last two months. And with Christmas, travel, getting sick and dealing with thyroid problems, I hate how much of the wonderful progress I did at the end of last year has been destroyed... But better to get back on track now instead of in another two months. :sad2: Of course, boyfriend lost 15 pounds while staying with me, eating my lovely low calorie meals...

Goal:
Overall I do not have a lot to lose. I am at a BMI of 25.9 currently. And when I saw my doctor in February he mentioned that newest research shows that actually people with a BMI of 25 to 27 live the longest... However, I am vain and want to look better and I know that I look better with less weight. Originally I had hoped to get to my goal weight by the start of July, but that does not look possible anymore. I have 12 kilos (about 26 pounds) down to my goal weight. And I am thinking that I will try to lose 2kg (4.4 pounds) every month which makes goal weight a nice 6 months project. So, that's my long term and monthly goal!

Plan:
I am using the fitbit app to track my calories. I find that it works really well for me as it has a pretty good database. I also like how it integrates with my other fitbit statistics. I am aiming at a calorie deficit of about 750 kcal a day and I like how fitbit always gives a projection of how much I will still be able to eat that day depending on my activity level so far. I know that it is all just estimates and not a very precise science, but I have been doing very well with this in second half of 2015. So, hopefully it will work again!! I also have an exercise plan of running three times a week. I usually run for about 30-35 minutes and am planning on slowly increasing my distance over the next few months as I signed up for a 10k in June. So, my weekend runs should become the long runs and then I am hoping to start speed work again on one of my weekday runs as I know that that is what makes me faster. My last 10k had a time of 1:10, my last race, a 6k had me at 36 minutes and I would love to get a time under one hour for the 10k!! Not sure how doable that is, but one can dream!! :goodvibes

Obstacles:
Unfortunately the month already starts with the first obstacle: I got a cold! :sick: Argg!! No running today. I hope that this is the last cold of the season as being sick always throws me off my plans. And the only way to tackle it is hoping to get better soon and then get back on track immediately! As many others have said, my biggest obstacles is myself and my lack of self control when it comes to eating. I feel that I am doing better. I am planning on trying to a lot of cooking for the freezer to have easy meals readily available for when I come home from work to help with that. I also need to work on a better snacking plan as I often eat a very early lunch (noon) and then won't be home for dinner until 6:30pm. I still haven't found the perfect afternoon snack. So far most things have no effect so ever on my evening hunger level.

Ok, this got long, sorry!! I am happy to be back on the DIS however!:bounce:

WooHoo Wednesday, March 2nd:

WooHoo Wednesday is a very special tradition that we have on these challenge threads – it’s a chance for us to take a break and celebrate our victories (big or small).

celebrate-a-dream-come-true-parade-2-9.jpg

Today we remember a recently retired parade, the Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade, as we celebrate all of our accomplishments. The Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade ran from January 2009 to January 2014, when it was retired to make room for the Festival of Fantasy parade. This parade celebrated accomplishing your dreams with the help of some of your favorite Disney friends.
But that’s all in the past – today we’re celebrating the present and what we’ve accomplished in the first few days of the month.

It’s WooHoo Wednesday - what’s your WooHoo for today?

Question of the Day - Tuesday, March 1st:

Thank you for joining us this month as we MARCH our way to a healthier lifestyle.
This month we’ll be enjoying our favorite Disney parades as we march through the month discussing goals, exercise, healthy eating, general health and wellness, and many topics in between.

Each week we’ll feature a current Disney parade, with weekends featuring retired or special occasion parades. Please feel free to share any and all parade pictures you may have – we all know that you can never have too many Disney parade pictures!

Since I’m in charge, we’ll be starting off with my favorite Disney parade, the Main Street Electrical Parade:

The Main Street Electrical Parade, which started at Disneyland in1972 and debuted at Magic Kingdom in 1977, has been through several incarnations. The currently incarnation began at Magic Kingdom in June 2010, and it features floats and live performers covered in thousands of electronically controlled lights and a soundtrack featuring the song "Baroque Hoedown." The parade shows several nights per week (and every night during “busier” seasons), with some nights having multiple showings.

Just like that Tinkerbell float signals the start of the parade, so too a discussion of our goals for the month signals the start of a new monthly challenge. So let’s start this month off discussing a tried and true topic – what we want to accomplish in the month of March.

What is your goal for the month of March?
What is your plan to meet that goal?
What obstacles will stand in your way this month? How do you plan to overcome those obstacles?

First of all...... LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this theme! I am a huge fan of Disney parades! Cannot wait to share a few pictures!

Goal for March.... while I'm contemplating making a step goal (rather than a pounds goal), I find it hard to measure this. If I say I want to hit 15K steps a day 5 days a week, so I consider myself at 0% reached if I miss a day? I think I'll stick with a POUNDS goal for challenge purposes, but also throw out a step goal for "fun".

My POUNDS goal for March is 4 pounds. Lofty goal for me, let me say that! It may sound super whimpy, but at this point I lose so incredibly, painfully slowly, this could be a real challenge! I kind of wish we reported percentages these days.... that would make it sound better! Four pounds (since I am having to re-lose what I gained at the end of February), would put me a bit BELOW my maintenance goal number (my OWN number, not my official WW maintenance number). It would put me into my "happy place" as far as how my waistline fits in my pants and shorts. My ULTIMATE goal is to hit DIsneyland in September at 5 pounds BELOW my maintenance number. I've been there before (and actually maintained it for a long time) but somehow it slipped away and I haven't been there in quite a while (probably since I gave up running.... coincidence??? :rolleyes:). But oh my, my..... how I LOVE to be there!

Plan.... well, of course, continuing with WW (and making some better choices with the evening snacking) and obstacles are nothing but myself!! I will say that having these Fitbit challenges is definitely helping me overcome these obstacles! Here is a picture from my first time seeing the Electrical Parade..... during our 2005 trip to California!!

DSCF2644.JPG

Ok I think I have my goal - its a breakfast goal. On MFP in the last week there was an article for low calorie breakfast options, looking at my food logging while I am mostly making healthier food choices some of those are still high in calories I was surprised when I entered scrambled eggs the other day. So my goal is to have a low calorie/kj breakfast 5 mornings a week.

My plan to meet the goal is to plan ahead more and make sure I have shopped for ingredients. To use the MFP archives, google, recipe books and any ideas from you guys for sourcing breakfast ideas.

Obstacles will be if they are not satisfying/filling enough to keep me going through the morning without wanting something more. Getting disorganised as I often do and not have the food in the house resorting to quick options. Preparation time due to me now getting up to do some before work exercise. I will hopefully overcome by choosing recipes that look appealing but have filling ingredients, plan and shop, pre-prep the night before or a few days ahead where possible to help with time. Keep tracking my progress with MFP and sharing my ups and downs with you all.

I've gotta ask.... what the heck is "kj"???

BB in a minute with more replies! ................P

I had an interview yesterday that went very well! I know that if I don't get the position I don't feel like there's any more that could have been done and that's a great place to be.

I also peeked at the scale this morning and I'm already down the 2.5 pounds that I gained last week! Hopefully that means between now and Saturday I can knock off another pound and really kickstart this month.

Don't feel like woohoo today after my boyfriend left and won't be back until this summer... BUT in the spirit of the day, I will say that my woohoo is that tonight I can do whatever I want without any regard to someone else!! Already planned a dinner that he would not like!!! To be honest, I am someone who can enjoy solitude and my own company. So, this is really something I can woohoo about. But I would prefer if he would just go on a one week business trip and I had him back a week from today already....

So I have a WooHoo then a BooHoo followed by another WooHoo.

Sometimes my forgetfulness works in my favor. I wanted to watch the EPL game that was on TV yesterday afternoon (That's soccer since I know most Americans don't follow it), so I vowed to get my 15,000 steps in before 1:45pm. I got it and sat down and did computer work while I watched the game. Then I remembered that one of my kids had turf training (for soccer) for an hour after school. It's such a short time, that I usually stay there (and use the treadmill/track) or run errands instead of coming home. Awesome - think about all those steps - probably an extra 5-6,000 just while I wait for him to finish training. WooHoo!

I'm on the treadmill and hit the app on my phone - 17,xxx steps - great. A little later, I hit the app - 18,545 steps - great. A little later, I hit the app - 18,545 steps. What? Why won't it synch? Oh well, I can't troubleshoot now. I continue to walk until the end of practice. I troubleshoot - turn my bluetooth off, then on. Close the app completely and reopen. Turn the phone off, then on. Nothing. Then I tap my flex - NOTHING. It was completely dead. I had just charged it that afternoon during the soccer game. It actually died, with no warning, when I was on the treadmill. Took it home and tried to charge it - nothing. So sad. It lasted almost 18 months to the day. BooHoo!

I panicked because #1) I'm bummed it missed at least 2,000 steps and #2) because I have a streak of getting 10,000 steps a day since July 30th!

So, what's a girl to do? Well, take your 13 year old to volleyball practice and head over to Target and buy a new one of course! So, I picked up a new Charge HR (which is really large compared to the Flex, not sure I love it) and got it all set up so it will be counting my steps today. WooHoo!

I am so in! And HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY to be back! The thread looks amazing!!

By way of quick introductions, I'm Maggie, I'm an early 40-something who works too much, eats out too much, has a few medical challenges, and likes to eat her feelings. As a result, I've spent the last 20 years accumulating weight. Last June, I decided that it was time to find a new home for about 60-80 extra pounds. I was closing in on 25 pounds with the help of this board, WW, MFP, my FitBit, and my lunatic dog, starting the New Year happily safe in Onderland.

Then I started a new job, which required I get licensed in a new state, and decided to take some time from concentrating on my weight to finish studying for the bar and get myself settled. I was doing a decent job maintaining in spite of study snacking, mainly bouncing between 199 and 201. DH and I spent this past weekend in New York (and may have indulged in a few too many bagels and slices) and then came home last night to a flooded house. Seriously, fish could live in my basement right now. I have since consumed half the hotel mini bar and 17 pounds of potato chips (quantities approximate). According to the scale in the hotel gym, I weighed in at 204.6. Wow. Just wow.

Anyway, the long and short of is is that I HAVE TO STOP MAKING EXCUSES! Life happens. Words that I'm not allowed to use on the DIS happens. I can be happy, I can be healthy. I can make decedent food decisions. Regardless of what life throws at me. More importantly, I leave for WDW in 56 more days. And I've got a gorgeous dress for Victoria and Albert's hanging in my closet that I currently can't zip. A month ago that dress both fit perfectly and I was convinced that it would be too big by the end of April.

So my goals for March:
1. Lose 8 pounds.

2. My plan to lose that 8 pounds is to stick with my WW points and primarily concentrate on lean protein, fruit, and non-starchy vegetables. I will also walk 70,000 steps per week, and practice yoga at least twice a week.

3. Other than not continuing to eat my feelings about the lake that is currently my house, I don't have a huge number of obstacles this month. No birthdays. No holidays. No big events looming on the calendar. There is always me. And I'm always a problem. I'm going to be working really hard on mindfulness and thinking before eat.

I'm SO sorry about the basement flooding! What a HUUUGGEE pain in the butt!! Hope you didn't lose anything precious! That dress is a HUGE goal that you can definitely reach! Hang it where you can see it (or at least a PICTURE of it)!!

My quick bio - I'm 40 years old (for the next 10 days anyway - I turn 41 on the 11th) and been married 14 years. My wife and I have a son who's 10 and a daughter who's 5. We live in Central Illinois, but I was born in Buffalo, NY and spent most of my life in Northern Virginia just outside the D.C. I'm a special education teacher and I also coach football. My weight got out of control once I stopped playing football in college. There were a few times I was able to lose some weight over the years, but I really dedicated myself this year with adding regular exercise along with the healthy diet. I started on January 4th (the first day back to work) and over the past two months have lost 31 lbs.

I bow to you as a Special Ed teacher. I have been a substitute teacher for 12 years now and subbing ANY kind of special education is such a challenge! I KNOW I could NOT do it daily long term! Bless you!!!

My goal for March is to lose 14 lbs. I will do this by meeting my step goals (13,000 a day), hitting the gym twice a week along with the treadmill at home, and I will start the couch to 5K plan this month. I will also track all the food I eat the day before, so I know exactly what I am able to eat the following day.

I have a couple obstacles this month - my birthday will be a challenge (got to limit the adult beverages and no birthday cake), Easter/Spring Break will be either a benefit or a curse as I'll be home all day, and I have another coaching clinic coming up at the end of the month.

Let’s do this!

Sounds like you've made a choice between CAKE and ADULT DRINKS..... good job making that choice already! Happy early birthday! And WOWZA on the 31 pounds gone forever!!

Good morning, and happy MARCH, everyone!!!! It's grey and rainy today and I don't even care because February is FINALLY OVER and it's still 61 out despite the rain and we're forecasted for mid-70's next week so as long as there's no freak snow this weekend (the past few years we've been getting pretty heavy snow the first weekend of March) then winter is officially over here and I could not be more thrilled!!

Funny freak-snow story. 7 years ago today, three of my girlfriends and I drove to Memphis (the weekend before spring break) from Jackson, TN to visit my family and shop. If you're not familiar with west TN, Jackson and Memphis are about an hour apart on Interstate 40. Usually 45 minutes when I'm the driver - LOL - but roughly an hour. There was no inclement weather forecast so we didn't think anything of it. We get to the mall and hear reports of snow possibly moving in, but of course we figure 1) it's March 2) this came out of nowhere 3) it NEVER snows when they say it's going to - so we go about our day, shop, grab lunch, and go to my parents' house to have dinner. We leave my parents' house and it's starting to flurry, but still we didn't think anything of it, especially because we only had an hour drive before we were back at school. So we stop for ice cream on our way out! Fast forward 20 minutes, and we're only about 20 miles outside of Memphis, when we get stuck. I mean STUCK. The snow had picked up drastically, and a few miles up ahead of us, unbeknownst to us, an 18-wheeler jack-knifed on the interstate, and there was no going anywhere. We were stuck in a miles-long line of cars, both ahead and behind us. Did I mention we only had a half tank of gas because we only had to drive an hour? What should've taken an hour to get back to school took us 10 hours. Because there was absolutely no moving, we had to turn the car off after a little while, so we were all freezing, and this was before everyone had iPhones (WOW do I feel old... This was only 2009!!) so we had no way of knowing what was going on or how long we'd be on the interstate. It was such a long, crazy night, but it's our FAVORITE story now, haha.

HOW VERY SCARY!!! I cannot believe the police didn't at least go car to car letting people know what was happening!! Glad you are safe and have a good story!

My goal is to lose 6-lbs this month. That'll put me back under the 210 mark, and back on track for my end-of-the-year goal.

My main obstacle is that my day is SO sedentary because I spend all of my time at a craft table and behind the computer. I'm putting my shop in vacation mode tonight, though, in order to catch up on some bulk orders I've received and to work on some new items for my shop, and I'm hoping that allowing myself this slight break will help me refocus and reschedule. I've got to figure out a way to really separate my work-at-home life from my home-at-home life. HOPEFULLY this weekend we'll be knocking out the final details on my office/studio/craft room which means I can finally have my living room back, and I'm hoping that being able to remove work from the primary room of the house will also allow me to definitely step away (STEP being the active term here!) and give me more distinct boundaries. We'll see!

I need to get my schedule back under control. I legitimately do not want to be up until 2 or 3 every night and sleep until noon the next day. I don't know how to break that cycle, though, as I have ALWAYS been a night owl. Also, I love sleep. But then I feel like I'm wasting my day, no matter how much I get done after that. And I feel a lot of pressure to get stuff done quickly because I got up so late.

Sometimes you've got to take the tough road and get up early even after being up late, just to get started on resetting your body clock. It is tough though. One time in college I was having trouble getting up for my early class(es) because I wasn't going to sleep/bed early enough.... and of course, it became a pattern that was hard to break! I finally decided to pull an all-nighter one night and just stay up until the morning class! I had plenty of time to shower and dressed especially nicely and was the first person in my seat for this 8 or 9 am class (I cannot honestly remember what time it started). And of course the, instructor chose that day to show us a movie/video ...... during which I promptly fell SOUND ASLEEP!! So much for that plan!!

I've got my FitBit charging and am hoping to get back on track wearing it this month... Totally lame, but I couldn't find the charger so I haven't worn it since the first week I got it. LOL. @courtneybeth if you take pity on me and invite me to challenges again, I promise to do better this time around! Bahaha.

Does anyone have any recommendations (YouTube, whatever) for some basic yoga videos? I don't want to do anything too crazy, but I need to get some stretching and muscle movement into my day.

I see that Courtney provided a link. I think I will check it out today as well!!

I also have to get way better about my eating - meaning I have to remember to do it, and to eat healthy things when I do remember to do it. I snack a lot so I need to find some really great grab-and-go healthy snacks to keep on hand. I need to re-up my water intake, too. When I had a "real" job, I was doing REALLY well getting in 48oz - 64oz a day. Now I might get in 8oz - 16oz a day. I just don't think about it, and I almost never feel thirsty. So I really have to force myself to consciously drink water now. DH will be starting a 2nd job soon, so I'm hoping that it will kind of force me to keep healthier foods in the house and actually eat them, because it will be a lot harder to have him stop somewhere on his way home from work to get dinner, since he'll be going from one job to another and then home.

Best wishes, pixie dust, and lots of Irish luck to everyone for hugely successful March's all around!!!

(Expand this to see all of my comments) You got this!! March is going to be SUPER SUCCESSFUL for you.... I can feel it!!

I found a great YouTube channel by accident last week and it's amazing.

Link: http://bit.ly/1QqgRag

She's got various playlists - from beginner to a 30 day challenge. I'm going to start doing these at home during the week to stretch it out!

Thanks.... I think I'll check it out too!

I'm taking a different approach this month - I'm in maintenance mode but also in training mode. Talk about a challenge!

Goal: 5 Workouts Per Week
My race calendar is full this month - during the next three weekends I will be running: one local 5K, one half marathon in Washington DC, and one 5K and one half marathon the same weekend in Dallas. Suffice to say, there needs to be an endurance build to expedite recovery time as I do more of these races. (total count: 2 5K and 2 Half Marathons during the first 20 days in March).

Plan to Meet Goal:
  • Continuing to work with my personal trainer twice per week will allow me to reach 40% of my goal per week.
  • Leveraging the calendar created by my personal trainer and checking off that day's activity (ie: go to trainer, do the long run, etc.) Stick to the program. See benefits and rewards.

Obstacles in Way:
  • Me. I get tired after work and will need to push myself to do the 'after work' long runs
  • Travel days - sitting on a plane makes it difficult to exercise, but I will find "work arounds" (ie: for DC in two weeks, I'll walk most of the downtown area as my workout and as a warm up for the next day's half)

Side Notes:
  • I'll be monitoring my weight to make sure I'm not "over eating" as I burn more calories, thanks to MyFitnessPal.
  • I'll be monitoring my measurements with my trainer. There are two measurement dates - beginning of month and end of month.

WOWZA.... so many great plans and goals!! And SO MANY RACES!!:worship:

My goals for the month are to Keep coming here once a day and to log all my food into Sparkpeople. My biggest obstacle this month is the fact that we are 9 days away from final dress rehearsal for Music Man that I am helping to costume. We have a lot of work to do but it within reach. We will be running the first act tomorrow night with costumes so we can see if there are problems. My biggest concern is that one of the main characters have no fancy dress that she needs. NONE. There are three of us working on the costumes. We gave this person just this dress to work on. She doesn't even have to make the dress just add to it to make it pretty. And she also has to make the vests for the barber shop quartet. These are big items and they are not done. (Thanks for letting me vent)

Sorry that people are letting you down. I know the feeling. Any time I've been a part of a group/organization/club, it seems like the same core 10% of the groups does 99% of the work!!

Welcome to the 60's. I hit it in May last year and dh hit in Oct. WE are both retired and working part time jobs. We haven't had a chance to travel much but I think this spring we will start exploring NJ.

Hi. A quick introductions I am Dona married for almost 38 years to my college sweetheart. We have two boys who are getting married in the next 14 months (One this Aug and one next April). We also have a nephew getting married in June in Wichita KS and a niece who may be getting married in Sept. I have to start looking for a dress for ds's wedding.

I retired from teaching math last June and am now teaching a couple of college classes in the local private college. I have a couple of days in and a couple of days out. It is great. I was used to having Friday to myself since dh went and stayed with his mom on Fridays but she passed away two weeks ago so now I have to get used to having dh home on Fridays.

Off to get some things done for Music Man

Have a happy and healthy day.

Well..... sounds like retirement is suiting you just fine!! Hope you find lots of great adventures in NJ!! And when you get tired of NJ, come explore NH!!

WooHoo Wednesday is a very special tradition that we have on these challenge threads – it’s a chance for us to take a break and celebrate our victories (big or small).

Today we remember a recently retired parade, the Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade, as we celebrate all of our accomplishments. The Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade ran from January 2009 to January 2014, when it was retired to make room for the Festival of Fantasy parade. This parade celebrated accomplishing your dreams with the help of some of your favorite Disney friends.
But that’s all in the past – today we’re celebrating the present and what we’ve accomplished in the first few days of the month.

First of all..... my woohoo for today is kind of a combined woohoo and wahhh.... I'm home today. So woohoo on having a day to relax a bit and get stuff done around the house.... but waaahhh that my next paycheck will be pathetic!

Gotta tell a quick story about this particular parade......

when DD and I go to Disney, we LOOOVVEE taking pictures with the characters..... all of them, but the male face characters are always the most fun.... they get silly and flirty (especially with DD). During our trip in 2013 it took MULTIPLE ATTEMPTS before we were able to meet Princess Tiana and Prince Naveen. We kept getting to their meet-and-greet spot and JUST missing them.... or it was just her (we like her, but wanted a picture with both)..... or the line was closing. When we FINALLY got to meet them (by this time their "friends" knew us well) we took our time interacting with them...... and got some great pictures. This was our LAST DAY (in fact, we were leaving in just a few hours) and that made it a bit more special.

Anyhooo..... we got some great pictures with them and then went on to finish out our day. We had tentatively planned to spend our last hour watching the 3pm parade (Celebrate a Dream Come True), but it had started raining about 2pm and we figured we were SOL. But they announced that the parade WOULD take place and start about 10 minutes late. Since time was of the essence, we scoped out a spot to watch the parade at the top of the train station. That would allow us to see the parade and then make a mad dash for the monorail to get to the airport in time for our flight home. We positioned ourselves right at the railing (I think many folks had left because of the rain) and enjoyed the parade. Well.... when the float with Prince Naveen came along, wouldn't you know he SPOTTED US!!!! He gave EVERY INDICATION that he remembered us (not that we are that special, but a mother/daughter pair wearing matching outfits, both with waist length blonde hair who took extra time to interact.... I suppose we were memorable!)... pointing, waving, etc! Didn't catch the EXACT moment on camera, but here is a picture of the float as he looks RIGHT AT US (missed the moment he pointed and waved.... oh well). DD and I went a little "fan girl" at that moment! But it was so FUN and special! GREAT way to end the trip! .........................P
P1340652.JPG

I have a HUGE woohoo for today--- and one that only Disney fans can truly appreciate! DH and I found round trip airfare out of Los Angeles to Tokyo for $461pp. No that's not a typo. And I get to use my SW points to get to LA for the free!!! (Well for $22 in fees but whatever) Our planned trip to Italy in the fall was cancelled, flights to Japan were booked yesterday, and today it's official!!!!!!! We are headed to Tokyo Disney and Disneyland California in 44 days!!!!!

It's my most ambitious travel plan to date-- 10 days in Japan followed by squeezing in two days in California. I am still in shock and haven't even told my family yet because it still doesn't seem real! So if I'm MIA on the thread, it's because I am planning like a mad woman!

Disneyland veterans: All recommended one day plans for either Disneyland or California Adventure are SUPER welcome!!!! As are Tokyo tips if you've been or know someone who's been or have been to Japan or anything! I need help getting through my typical 6 month neurotic planning in only a month and a half!

Sometimes my forgetfulness works in my favor. I wanted to watch the EPL game that was on TV yesterday afternoon (That's soccer since I know most Americans don't follow it), so I vowed to get my 15,000 steps in before 1:45pm. I got it and sat down and did computer work while I watched the game. Then I remembered that one of my kids had turf training (for soccer) for an hour after school. It's such a short time, that I usually stay there (and use the treadmill/track) or run errands instead of coming home. Awesome - think about all those steps - probably an extra 5-6,000 just while I wait for him to finish training. WooHoo!

I'm on the treadmill and hit the app on my phone - 17,xxx steps - great. A little later, I hit the app - 18,545 steps - great. A little later, I hit the app - 18,545 steps. What? Why won't it synch? Oh well, I can't troubleshoot now. I continue to walk until the end of practice. I troubleshoot - turn my bluetooth off, then on. Close the app completely and reopen. Turn the phone off, then on. Nothing. Then I tap my flex - NOTHING. It was completely dead. I had just charged it that afternoon during the soccer game. It actually died, with no warning, when I was on the treadmill. Took it home and tried to charge it - nothing. So sad. It lasted almost 18 months to the day. BooHoo!

I panicked because #1) I'm bummed it missed at least 2,000 steps and #2) because I have a streak of getting 10,000 steps a day since July 30th!

So, what's a girl to do? Well, take your 13 year old to volleyball practice and head over to Target and buy a new one of course! So, I picked up a new Charge HR (which is really large compared to the Flex, not sure I love it) and got it all set up so it will be counting my steps today. WooHoo!

Do you know that you can add your training via the app or the website? You put in your time when you did your exercise and then the distance you walked and it calculates your steps. I have done that on days when I forgot to wear my fitbit.

I was just hanging around the house yesterday and then working at the show. Before I went to bed I looked and saw that I had gotten 10,000 steps in for yesterday. First time in a while. I think it will happen a couple of other times this week before we go into Tech week next week with the show opening next week.

I will have to post some pictures of MSEP. A few years ago my family stayed with my sister's family at BLT with a MK view (they are DVC members) Dh and I were the only ones of the group to sit through the parade twice. Once I took pictures and the second time I shot a video. It is one of my favorite parades.

I recently upgraded from the Flex to the Charge HR and love it... was used t the size in a couple days and love having time and step available without having to pull out my phone.

Know I'm a little late, but I'd like to join in, if that is okay.

I'm Amanda. I'm currently at 199. I'm trying to take my weight loss at 20 lbs at time, so I have 11 lbs to make my first goal.

1. My Goal for the Month is to lose a pound a week
2. I am eating healthy, not having drinks with sugar, and exercising 5 times a week : (running and crossfit)
3. My biggest obstacles are my sweet tooth and my laziness/lack of planning. Since I'm on my own, I find it hard to motivate myself to cook and I often skip meals and then end up eating junk food because I get too hungry to wait for something good. My plan to combat the second part is to make a meal plan and stick to it. Still trying to find ways to control my sweet tooth, but hoping not letting myself get too hungry and having health snacks around will help.

My Woohoo would be I am finally under 200 lbs :)

It's been a tough few days. We had a student where I teach take his own life Monday and it's been hard on everyone. The high school where I teach only has 390 students, so it's a small community. The student was a senior, well liked, played football and baseball... very smart and was going to study pre-med at Southern Illinois University. It really has shocked everyone.

Everyone is trying their best to move on. I think it's motivated me even more with the diet and exercise - helps to escape a little in the workout. I'm at the point now where I have to start buying some smaller clothes - I guess that's a woohoo, although spending the money isn't! I've been doing some 30 min workouts on the elliptical and I like the sweat I get out of it. I'm really trying to mix up the cardio. I’ve been thinking about trying to find someone to play some tennis with - I get bored with the treadmill after a while!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter