Marching Our Way to a Healthy Lifestyle ~ March 2016 WISH Challenge

Often times I feel this way. Many times I only mentally need to be in two places (usually working and doing family responsibilities), other times I actually need to be in two places. I juggle, juggle, juggle. Leave one thing a smidge early, arrive someplace else a smidge late. I know there are some single parents on the board and I don't know how you do it! My husband travels a lot, but usually only during the week. As a result, I've got weekdays down pat. It's the weekend, when everyone needs to be here there and everywhere that I struggle when there's only one of me!

It's definitely a struggle. Having help is great, but sometimes you just need to look at your schedule, figure out what can and can't be done, and accept that there are some things that just won't happen.

It's been a roller coaster of a weekend filled with ups and downs. I'll be back tomorrow to hopefully share because I haven't really been able to talk about it with anyone...

But, I wanted to check in. My weigh-in day is Wednesday and I was down another 2.5, so I'm down 5.5 for the month so I'm at 55%. Since Wednesday, my eating has been all over the map, so it's time to get back with it tomorrow and hopefully not have a gain this coming Wednesday.

anyway, I'm off to bed for tonight, but hope to be back tomorrow to read through the last couple of pages that I'm not caught up on.

Thanks to all of you for making this a great group!

Yay for a good weigh-in!
I'm sorry to har that you had a roller caoster weekend, but hopefully the week will only go up from here!

---

Good morning all. Although I'm not entirely sure it's morning. It's light out and the clock says 8, but I'm super groggy. I did not sleep well last night. Fitbit says I was in bed for 7.5 hours and got 3.75 hours of sleep ... I don't think it was that much. I know I was up for like half an hour at 3:45ish, and I was up a few other times during the night. So it's going to be a big coffee day for me.

Anyway ... I'll be back in a few with the QOTD! Have a great day, everyone!

Question of the Day – Monday, March 21st:

This week we’re celebrating Disneyland’s newest nighttime spectacular … the Paint the Night Parade!

dhjskaly38279.jpg

Paint the Night (which originally premiered in Hong Kong in September 2014) debuted at Disneyland in May 2015 as part of Disneyland’s 60th Anniversary celebrations. The parade, which is considered the successor to the Main Street Electrical Parade (and even features a version of "Baroque Hoedown" as part of its soundtrack), is Disneyland's first all-LED parade, utilizing over 1.5 million LED lights. The parade features many Disney favorites, including classic characters such as Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy, Pixar characters such as Lightning McQueen, Mack, and DJ, new favorites such as Anna, Elsa, and Olaf ... and many other dynamic characters and floats. The parade has been incredibly popular since it began, with viewing areas often filling up hours before the show.

Have you seen the Paint the Night parade? Please share your pictures!

o.jpg

One of the floats in the Paint the Night parade features several doors from Monsters, Inc. In this movie, the doors are gateways between Monstropolis and the human world. In our lives, we are faced with many doors and opportunities.

Are there any doors that you felt were closed to you when you started this journey that have opened as you have worked towards a healthier lifestyle? Are there opportunities that you had to give up early in this journey that you can take advantage of now? Are there any doors that still feel as if they are closed to you, but you hope will be open when you reach your goal?

This week we’re celebrating Disneyland’s newest nighttime spectacular … the Paint the Night Parade!

Paint the Night (which originally premiered in Hong Kong in September 2014) debuted at Disneyland in May 2015 as part of Disneyland’s 60th Anniversary celebrations. The parade, which is considered the successor to the Main Street Electrical Parade (and even features a version of "Baroque Hoedown" as part of its soundtrack), is Disneyland's first all-LED parade, utilizing over 1.5 million LED lights. The parade features many Disney favorites, including classic characters such as Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy, Pixar characters such as Lightning McQueen, Mack, and DJ, new favorites such as Anna, Elsa, and Olaf ... and many other dynamic characters and floats. The parade has been incredibly popular since it began, with viewing areas often filling up hours before the show.

One of the floats in the Paint the Night parade features several doors from Monsters, Inc. In this movie, the doors are gateways between Monstropolis and the human world. In our lives, we are faced with many doors and opportunities.

Are there any doors that you felt were closed to you when you started this journey that have opened as you have worked towards a healthier lifestyle? Are there opportunities that you had to give up early in this journey that you can take advantage of now? Are there any doors that still feel as if they are closed to you, but you hope will be open when you reach your goal?

First of all.... CANNOT WAIT to see this parade in September!! In fact, DD and I are SO excited about this and WOC that we are pretty much going to be planning our entire visit around making sure we see ALL the night shows.... which will be a challenge, considering we arrive the evening on a Sunday and flight out at midnight on Tuesday!

GREAT question...... not sure how to answer it though. I will just say that I FELT like I was capable of so much LESS when I was heavy...and so much of that had to do with my overwhelming lack of self confidence. I've always been shy and self-confidence in short supply..... but being nearly 100 pounds overweight definitely multiplied those feelings exponentially! I know that I haven't gotten any SMARTER or TALENTED since losing the weight, but I definitely have more confidence about the brains and talents I DO have! I am willing to put myself out there just a bit more... well, maybe more than a BIT! And if you don't like me or my ideas, I don't automatically assume it is because I am fat.

PROGRESS REPORT FOR THIS WEEK..... 37.5% of goal.... not bad, not great. Wish it were a solid 50%, but at least it is progress in the right direction Just wish I wasn't losing the same pounds as in February.... that feels SUPER frustrating.............P

dhjskaly38279.jpg

o.jpg

Hi all and Happy Monday! My goal for the week is to start taking baby steps in the direction of taking care of me first. To that end, I'm going to make a valiant effort to log on here every day and at least answer the QOTD. Not sure how I'll do at chatting but I'm not adding that pressure. Baby steps!

Unfortunately, I was always pretty comfortable as my weight crept up. I say unfortunately because discomfort is a big incentive for me to actually make real and lasting change. Looking back, I know I experienced at least some employment related weight discrimination, but it was never open and I never felt bad about myself. Things got markedly different with the last 10-20 pounds gained. The handful of pounds that pushed me firmly into the 200s camp and the obese BMI club. And yes, I felt doors slamming shut. Options for clothing diminished. Stairs became almost insurmountable obstacles. I started avoiding friends and family - particularly those I hadn't seen in years. One of the worst moments came when DH tried to give me a horseback riding weekend and I lied and said I didn't want to go. I wanted to go but knew that I was over the weight limit.

Depending on the day, I've only managed to lose 15-20 pounds since starting this journey in June. But they are the pounds that make the difference. I can fit into the largest sizes in the regular women's section. I can walk for miles and take a few flights of stairs with ease. I'm still not too confident about myself and my appearance but things are better. I'm still mostly hiding from the world but I feel the doors are unlocked. I'm just not ready to walk through.

The door that feels the most solidly shut (other than clothing brands that only go up to 8) is eating whatever I want in public. That never bothered me before but now I'm hyper-conscious. I can be eating cucumbers and think that people will be laughing at me for the idea that I think I can diet. And of course there are the thoughts that come with eating treats in public (even well earned planned for treats). Intellectually I know that people are living their lives and aren't paying attention to what I choose to eat. I'm just not there emotionally.

GREAT question...... not sure how to answer it though. I will just say that I FELT like I was capable of so much LESS when I was heavy...and so much of that had to do with my overwhelming lack of self confidence. I've always been shy and self-confidence in short supply..... but being nearly 100 pounds overweight definitely multiplied those feelings exponentially! I know that I haven't gotten any SMARTER or TALENTED since losing the weight, but I definitely have more confidence about the brains and talents I DO have! I am willing to put myself out there just a bit more... well, maybe more than a BIT! And if you don't like me or my ideas, I don't automatically assume it is because I am fat.

You are so good with words. I hope I feel this way when I lose my weight. I've just started my journey, but I know I'll get there!

Unfortunately, I was always pretty comfortable as my weight crept up. I say unfortunately because discomfort is a big incentive for me to actually make real and lasting change. Looking back, I know I experienced at least some employment related weight discrimination, but it was never open and I never felt bad about myself. Things got markedly different with the last 10-20 pounds gained. The handful of pounds that pushed me firmly into the 200s camp and the obese BMI club. And yes, I felt doors slamming shut. Options for clothing diminished. Stairs became almost insurmountable obstacles. I started avoiding friends and family - particularly those I hadn't seen in years. One of the worst moments came when DH tried to give me a horseback riding weekend and I lied and said I didn't want to go. I wanted to go but knew that I was over the weight limit.

Depending on the day, I've only managed to lose 15-20 pounds since starting this journey in June. But they are the pounds that make the difference. I can fit into the largest sizes in the regular women's section. I can walk for miles and take a few flights of stairs with ease. I'm still not too confident about myself and my appearance but things are better. I'm still mostly hiding from the world but I feel the doors are unlocked. I'm just not ready to walk through.

The door that feels the most solidly shut (other than clothing brands that only go up to 8) is eating whatever I want in public. That never bothered me before but now I'm hyper-conscious. I can be eating cucumbers and think that people will be laughing at me for the idea that I think I can diet. And of course there are the thoughts that come with eating treats in public (even well earned planned for treats). Intellectually I know that people are living their lives and aren't paying attention to what I choose to eat. I'm just not there emotionally.

This is exactly how I feel, except I got well into the 200's unfortunately. I know I have not done things because I was afraid I'd be over the weight limit and questioned about it. We were on a cruise with other couples once time and a group went ziplining in Honduras. I was not over the weight limit, but I was close and I was afraid something would be said about it, so I said I didn't want to go, even thought I would have loved it.

That was part of my motivation for starting my journey this time. We are going to Hawaii this summer with my entire family and although I won't be anywhere close to my goal weight, I can be down to where I shouldn't be excluded from anything based on my weight (hopefully). It will also make the airplane seats more comfortable lol!

_____

I posted last night that I had a roller-coaster weekend. We had a great day Saturday - DS had a soccer game which they won (they are in a challenging league for their age / ability and haven't won many games), we went to a trivia night fundraiser and our team came in 2nd place and then we headed to a friends house that was on our team. While we were there, my friend's sister came over and told them that one of their 15 year old nieces was killed in a car wreck that evening, so our evening ended with a tragedy. I'm so sad for my friend and her family. Just that evening we had been talking about how your life can change in an instant and her's did that night. Their family will never be the same again. :sad1:

Hi All! I've been pretty MIA and busy this weekend. We are painting my cousin's house and it's been a long tiring weekend. Coupled with the disaster that was St. Patty's and eating on the go as we paint, it has not been a good weekend weigh in. :-( I'm not even sure where to place my numbers because yesterday was decent and today was monstrous....... so we're just going to skip this one. I will have better grasp on what's really going on this weekend. Plus I'm not even worried about Easter... MIL is not a good cook and the obligatory Easter carrot cake doesn't turn my crank in the least, so this will be no where near the level of temptation of St. Pats. Haha!

OMG --- THIS! All of this!!!!

I don't even see too much of a difference between the old me and this new me in the mirror and its FRIGHTENING. I only notice in pictures and then I see how much I've let myself go. I can still fit in regular woman sizes, but my body does not agree with my favorite brand at this size (Lilly Pulitzer). Just last weekend, I was trying on shirts. I used to be a solid medium and look good, but now the larges pull tight and the XLs look maternity mixed with NFL shoulders --- It's so sad to me because I love these clothes.

The last thing about eating in public hits way close to home for me. I just never voiced it out loud. I hate eating in public at parties -- even family parties. There is one family friend who is obsessed with "fat" (the family dog is "fat," the cats are "fat," these foods are so "fatty," etc ALL THE TIME!), and being at functions with her is brutal and puts me in a tailspin of the thoughts you mention. And I know even if she is thinking those things about me, it says more about her as a person than me.... but I still can't shake it.

Also @DisPup75 -- I was so sad to hear about your troubles.... Just thinking about the fact that one day, I won't have my little girl (kitty cat) makes me cry. It's so incredibly hard. Sending hugs your way :hug:

dhjskaly38279.jpg

o.jpg

Doors that I felt were shut... I'm hypersensitive to my age and how it relates to my career. I avoided management/leadership for about 15 years, and only started on this journey 3 years ago. So I feel behind and wonder if people look at me and think "at her age she should..." and whether o rnot certain opportunities have passed me by. I also doubt for myself that it's the best choice to be taking on such a highly stressful role at this time, when doing something that brings me joy is more of a driver than pushing forward thru all this stuff. I don't look or act 60, at least I didn't until the weight started piling on, then it seemed to catch up with me. As the weight has come off the years have too, so that's a good thing... now I just have to decide what I want to do/be when I grow up.

I love fashion and haven't been able to wear the things I would have liked to have worn, so that door has been closed as well. I did go shopping this past weekend for things to wear to Texas, and was able to fit the XL's at JJill, which are pretty generous. That did make me feel hopeful that I will be able to reach my goal of regular sized clothing for my May trip to WDW.

All in all it was a pretty funky weekend... by last evening I was in a weird semi-depressed mood. I think it was a combination of things: I had purchased some Crystal Light so I'd drink more water - it worked, but I think there may have been something about it that didn't set well, it could have just been the caffeine as it was an iced tea blend. Then my SIL who has ALS seems to be deteriorating very quickly since she was forced to retire at the end of the year. She took a bad stumble last week and fell and broke her shoulder and her latest check up shows her lungs are much weaker, so she has to wear her C-PAT during the day not just at night. I brought my Sis some lunch Saturday but couldn't go in because I have a cold... just waving to SIL thru the open door, she looked so uncomfortable and so unhappy it was gutting. And I think I'm feeling guilty about not being more involved, so there's some work to be done there. Other than that I'm super stressed and feeling overwhelmed and under qualified at work (plus all the doubts mentioned above). I'm very grateful that my Texas trip is coming up the end of the week. I'll be out for two good long weeks to regroup and make some choices about how I want to move forward... and Texas is kind of my get-away-from-it-all dream, so it will be great to see if it is a viable option for me or not.

OK, that's my wahwahwah for today. Good news is that I'm not eating my funky mood or stress and am down another half pounds from Friday.

dhjskaly38279.jpg

o.jpg

I realized I was gaining weight when I went to my OBGYN and had seen a number I wasn't comfortable with. Using that weight I saw my BMI had officially put me in the category of "overweight" -- I hadn't taken it seriously until I saw a picture of myself that got posted on Facebook... in a bathing suit. I was pretty horrified. I yoyo dieted this year and last but have made a commitment to eat cleaner and to just workout more! The door that was closed to me was body confidence... I'm slowly feeling better about my body. I never gave up wearing bathing suits completely - that door was never closed shut, but I definitely don't wear some of my favorites.

I know this seems so trivial as others are battling much darker demons through their weight loss journey, but this is the heaviest I've ever been in my life. And I hate it. I grew up with my grandma (who orchestrated it all), mom and aunts obsessing over losing weight and slim fast shakes. The pressure to lose weight as a child eventually made one aunt bulimic. I'm so glad I haven't battled my weight this way and this is my one driving force in my weight loss journey - to never ever put myself in a place where my weight and losing weight takes over my life and those of others around me.

As of now, there is one blue bikini that I still don't feel comfortable wearing. I'm hoping I will be able to wear it this summer!

This weekend was ok. I stayed under my calories and got my steps Friday and Saturday. Yesterday was really tough. It was really cold so getting my steps were hard since our records is only open 12-5 on sunday. I took my kids to an Easter egg hunt and went to dinner with my dad and brothers. I don't get to see then often so we ended up going to Dave and busters after. I got home at about 8. I did eat some tagalongs but only 5 this time and stayed under my calories. I am off with my kids so I brought them to the rec with today. I feel really young. I am the you gest by like 20-30 years, other then my kids. My hope is to do this all week. And have a good number on the scale this week.

Check in. I have lost a total of 2 pounds with the up and down thus week. I am about 50% to my goal.

Last week was rough for weight loss, but the weekend made up for it. I ended up losing 2 3/4 pounds this weekend which was nice. I wanted to see if Friday night wasn't a fluke and tried running another 3.11 miles Sunday morning. I was able to do it again which was exciting, but I was really feeling it last night when I tried to walk during the NCAA basketball games. I had no energy left. I probably over did it, but I didn't get injured and I know better next time not to push it that hard without giving my body some rest.

I'm starting a new running program today that should build me up over the next 7 weeks until my first real 5K. I would love to get under 40:00, but I don't see that happening. I need to just be happy to run it for this first one.

Thought provoking question! After thinking about it for a few minutes I don't really think there were many doors closed to me. As bad as it sounds, I think it’s almost more accepted for a male to be overweight in society. While there are things I didn't do or won't do yet (taking my shirt off at the beach for example), I don't think I really missed out on anything because of my weight. I could say that maybe I didn't always dress like I would have liked because of limited availability, but hopefully that will change.

First of all.... CANNOT WAIT to see this parade in September!! In fact, DD and I are SO excited about this and WOC that we are pretty much going to be planning our entire visit around making sure we see ALL the night shows.... which will be a challenge, considering we arrive the evening on a Sunday and flight out at midnight on Tuesday!

It makes me so excited that you're planning your visit around the night shows. If you can, try to get one of the paint brushes or magic wands that interact with the magical ear hats -- at night time, you can change the ear colors of others' hats, change the wand/brush color of others, and the characters in the parade can change the color of your brush/wand with their 'over ride' tools. :)

I thought at first it was silly my husband bought me the $12 paint brush but now I bring it with me every time we go at night. Totally worth it to change everyone's ear hats to purple and to have that interactive moment when we see the parade!

Using that weight I saw my BMI had officially put me in the category of "overweight" -- I hadn't taken it seriously until I saw a picture of myself that got posted on Facebook... in a bathing suit. I was pretty horrified.

Sometimes all it takes is a picture and you go "OMG IS THAT... ME!?" I've told this story in the past but I had a very similar situation. I went to a friend's wedding and saw a picture of me at 215 pounds and nearly cried when I saw how fat i looked. I didn't see that person in the mirror and yet here she is on FB and ... ugh. It made me really get my buns in gear. Once you have that "ah ha!" moment you'll never let it happen again and work hard to fix the mistakes you've made.

As bad as it sounds, I think it’s almost more accepted for a male to be overweight in society.

I do believe that this is a truth, but up to a certain point. When you start reaching higher weights, like 400 pounds, people start to stare and make comments. But it seems acceptable for a man to have a tummy stick out over his jeans and shop at those Big and Tall stores without a question. Men just aren't held to the same stigmas as women - which is a sad truth in our society.

This is one of those questions that I thought might be controversial, but I wanted to ask it anyway.
My answer - I don't know that there have been any doors that were closed to me (other than that one dress I really loved that they only seemed to have in a size 6), but I think I perceived doors being closed to me because of my weight. There have been times when I thought people didn't like me because of my weight, but really it was either just a personality clash (apparently not everyone loves my random sarcasm) or me pushing people away because I felt uncertain about myself. I feel like I belong in the category of "fat person" and automatically assign myself to "fat person" social groups and activities ... even though there's no reason to do that, and I can have the same friends and participate in many of the same activities as "skinny" people.
If I really think about it, there isn't anything that I can't do just because of my weight. I can still have ice cream and junk food ... just maybe not so often. I can still find clothing that I like in my size. I can still go out to restaurants, I just have to be aware of what and how much I'm eating. I don't think that there are doors that are closed to me, I just have to approach these doors and opportunities in a different way.
For me, it's about remembering that my weight doesn't define who I am and what opportunities are available to me.

I haven't seen Paint the Night yet (except for extensive picture searching), but WOC is absolutely a must-see! It's my favorite Disney night show.

I love this answer.
Believing in yourself is a struggle for many people - and if you feel bad about how you look, that makes it worse. It's amazing that with losing the weight you were able to realize that there's no reason to hide how awesome you are!

PROGRESS REPORT FOR THIS WEEK..... 37.5% of goal.... not bad, not great. Wish it were a solid 50%, but at least it is progress in the right direction Just wish I wasn't losing the same pounds as in February.... that feels SUPER frustrating.............P

Progress is progress. Sometimes things go slow and you keep gaining and losing the same few pounds ... but it's better than gaining more and not losing it!

Hi all and Happy Monday! My goal for the week is to start taking baby steps in the direction of taking care of me first. To that end, I'm going to make a valiant effort to log on here every day and at least answer the QOTD. Not sure how I'll do at chatting but I'm not adding that pressure. Baby steps!

Don't worry about chatting so much - baby steps are the best way to start!

I'm still mostly hiding from the world but I feel the doors are unlocked. I'm just not ready to walk through.

This realization is amazing.
Sometimes the door isn't shut, but you don't feel comfortable walking through it. Knowing that it's a personal comfort issue is a great first step - now you just have to work on feeling good enough about yourself to know that you can walk through that door and do things that you didn't feel you could to when you were at your heaviest.

This is a hard one. I definitely get this.
Sometimes when I go out to eat and I get a salad, my thought is basically "does everyone else here think I'm on a diet because I got a salad?" It happens to be that I love salad and I'd get it anyway, but when you're being careful about what you eat, it's easy to be self-conscious when eating in public. You just have to remind yourself that nobody else cares about what you're eating - and if they do, that's their problem, not yours! (It's definitely hard to get to that point, though)

That was part of my motivation for starting my journey this time. We are going to Hawaii this summer with my entire family and although I won't be anywhere close to my goal weight, I can be down to where I shouldn't be excluded from anything based on my weight (hopefully). It will also make the airplane seats more comfortable lol!

That's an awesome motivation - there will be so much fun stuff for you to do in Hawaii, and hopefully you'll be able to enjoy it all!

I posted last night that I had a roller-coaster weekend. We had a great day Saturday - DS had a soccer game which they won (they are in a challenging league for their age / ability and haven't won many games), we went to a trivia night fundraiser and our team came in 2nd place and then we headed to a friends house that was on our team. While we were there, my friend's sister came over and told them that one of their 15 year old nieces was killed in a car wreck that evening, so our evening ended with a tragedy. I'm so sad for my friend and her family. Just that evening we had been talking about how your life can change in an instant and her's did that night. Their family will never be the same again. :sad1:

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's niece. That's such a tough situation - it's never easy when someone is taken from us so suddenly, and especially when it's someone so young ... :hug:

I don't even see too much of a difference between the old me and this new me in the mirror and its FRIGHTENING. I only notice in pictures and then I see how much I've let myself go. I can still fit in regular woman sizes, but my body does not agree with my favorite brand at this size (Lilly Pulitzer). Just last weekend, I was trying on shirts. I used to be a solid medium and look good, but now the larges pull tight and the XLs look maternity mixed with NFL shoulders --- It's so sad to me because I love these clothes.

It's rough when your favorite brand doesn't fit the way it used to ... but that's definitely motivation to work hard so that you can fit into your favorite clothing!

Doors that I felt were shut... I'm hypersensitive to my age and how it relates to my career. I avoided management/leadership for about 15 years, and only started on this journey 3 years ago. So I feel behind and wonder if people look at me and think "at her age she should..." and whether o rnot certain opportunities have passed me by. I also doubt for myself that it's the best choice to be taking on such a highly stressful role at this time, when doing something that brings me joy is more of a driver than pushing forward thru all this stuff. I don't look or act 60, at least I didn't until the weight started piling on, then it seemed to catch up with me. As the weight has come off the years have too, so that's a good thing... now I just have to decide what I want to do/be when I grow up.

I definitely get this. Sometimes it's hard for others to accept that someone is not on the same journey, and people see it as weird when someone of a certain age isn't at a certain point in their career. But you need to be you and take your career journey, not someone else's - do what feels right for you!

All in all it was a pretty funky weekend... by last evening I was in a weird semi-depressed mood. I think it was a combination of things: I had purchased some Crystal Light so I'd drink more water - it worked, but I think there may have been something about it that didn't set well, it could have just been the caffeine as it was an iced tea blend. Then my SIL who has ALS seems to be deteriorating very quickly since she was forced to retire at the end of the year. She took a bad stumble last week and fell and broke her shoulder and her latest check up shows her lungs are much weaker, so she has to wear her C-PAT during the day not just at night. I brought my Sis some lunch Saturday but couldn't go in because I have a cold... just waving to SIL thru the open door, she looked so uncomfortable and so unhappy it was gutting. And I think I'm feeling guilty about not being more involved, so there's some work to be done there. Other than that I'm super stressed and feeling overwhelmed and under qualified at work (plus all the doubts mentioned above). I'm very grateful that my Texas trip is coming up the end of the week. I'll be out for two good long weeks to regroup and make some choices about how I want to move forward... and Texas is kind of my get-away-from-it-all dream, so it will be great to see if it is a viable option for me or not.

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling ... but hopefully the trip to Texas will be a great way for you to get re-energized!

I realized I was gaining weight when I went to my OBGYN and had seen a number I wasn't comfortable with. Using that weight I saw my BMI had officially put me in the category of "overweight" -- I hadn't taken it seriously until I saw a picture of myself that got posted on Facebook... in a bathing suit. I was pretty horrified. I yoyo dieted this year and last but have made a commitment to eat cleaner and to just workout more! The door that was closed to me was body confidence... I'm slowly feeling better about my body. I never gave up wearing bathing suits completely - that door was never closed shut, but I definitely don't wear some of my favorites.

Body confidence is definitely something hard. But it seems like it's getting better for you, which is awesome, and hopefully as your weight goes down you'll be able to wear all of your favorite bathing suits!

I know this seems so trivial as others are battling much darker demons through their weight loss journey, but this is the heaviest I've ever been in my life. And I hate it. I grew up with my grandma (who orchestrated it all), mom and aunts obsessing over losing weight and slim fast shakes. The pressure to lose weight as a child eventually made one aunt bulimic. I'm so glad I haven't battled my weight this way and this is my one driving force in my weight loss journey - to never ever put myself in a place where my weight and losing weight takes over my life and those of others around me.

This is something that cannot be said enough.
Some people put so much pressure on losing weight - whether its pressure they're putting on themselves or on other people - and that can cause serious damage. It's important to remember that being healthy is more important than losing weight - and that includes mental health. If you're putting so much pressure on yourself to lose weight that it takes over your life and causes you a lot of unnecessary stress (or worse), that's a problem.

This weekend was ok. I stayed under my calories and got my steps Friday and Saturday. Yesterday was really tough. It was really cold so getting my steps were hard since our records is only open 12-5 on sunday. I took my kids to an Easter egg hunt and went to dinner with my dad and brothers. I don't get to see then often so we ended up going to Dave and busters after. I got home at about 8. I did eat some tagalongs but only 5 this time and stayed under my calories. I am off with my kids so I brought them to the rec with today. I feel really young. I am the you gest by like 20-30 years, other then my kids. My hope is to do this all week. And have a good number on the scale this week.

Yay for staying under your calorie goal despite the treats!

I'm starting a new running program today that should build me up over the next 7 weeks until my first real 5K. I would love to get under 40:00, but I don't see that happening. I need to just be happy to run it for this first one.

Yay for "officially" starting your 5K training. Don't worry too much about the time - just get to the distance, and you can work on the time from there.

Thought provoking question! After thinking about it for a few minutes I don't really think there were many doors closed to me. As bad as it sounds, I think it’s almost more accepted for a male to be overweight in society. While there are things I didn't do or won't do yet (taking my shirt off at the beach for example), I don't think I really missed out on anything because of my weight. I could say that maybe I didn't always dress like I would have liked because of limited availability, but hopefully that will change.

This is a really interesting view - I never really thought about the differences in perception of weight based on gender. I think it's great that you've never felt that you missed out on anything because of your weight ... and I love that you're optimistic about the changes in your wardrobe that will happen as you continue to lose weight.

I'll see if I can try to get into the boards again for April. I just don't find I have time or make the time for it. 8-) I'll be working at exercise routine again. I just can't stay consistent. I know that is why the scale is up down. Well other than my usual water retention problems.

I have a running question and this seems like a good place to ask it since there are so many runners in our group!

My DD19 and some of her friends have decided they want to do the Disney Princess 1/2 marathon in February 2018 (so almost 2 years from now). My DD (along with most of her friends) is not a runner at all, but she's wanting to challenge herself to do this. I'm excited for her and hope to be able to go down with her to cheer her on, but she's really pretty lost about how she should go about training for this.

I found a link to some Jeff Galloway training programs for the Disney races and the longest one for the Disney 1/2 marathon is a 21 (I think) week program. I think the one for February started the previous October. Obviously, she's got a lot longer than that.

Do you think she should just first train for a 5K and then after completing that training, go to the 1/2 marathon training? She's never even run a 5K before. At this point, I think she's running a mile most evenings which I think would be a good start, but she's just not sure what to do past that point.

Anyway, that's her situation, so I'd love any advice that I can pass along to her. She's very excited and motivated and I just want to help point her in the right direction.

Do you think she should just first train for a 5K and then after completing that training, go to the 1/2 marathon training? She's never even run a 5K before. At this point, I think she's running a mile most evenings which I think would be a good start, but she's just not sure what to do past that point.

Two years is a long time to train and it can definitely be done!

There's great programs for your phone that will get you trained and ready for various lengths of race. Active.com has a great Couch25k app - where it takes a non-runner to a runner of a 5K in 9 weeks. Then you can graduate to Bridge to 10K and then off to the half marathon program. I believe all are sold as a package deal on the app store and worth the investment because it'll come on as a 'voice' over your normal music when used to say "RUN NOW" or "WALK NOW."

To hold her accountable, sign up for some local 5K fun runs. This way she can see if she likes running and can handle the mental and physical aspects before signing up for a Disney race. A Rock n Roll Half Marathon would be good a year from now because they're a bit more lenient on time and how they handle 'slow runners' -- sag wagons take you further up the course and not off the course like for Disney. You can even do a 5K and half back to back to see if a "challenge' is something that can be accomplished.

Disney races are expensive. Disney races are NOT for everyone - nor should they be considered lightly. They're a high demand product and unfortunately people who have no business signing up for them DO sign up and take away a spot from a qualified runner who got shut out.

With hard work and dedication, a 2 year training program can definitely make this happen!!!

PROGRESS UPDATE: WEEK 3 – March 21st, 2016

The results are in - here are our progress reports for the third week of March!

@4HOLIDAYS - 0%
@4Mickeys - 45.45%
@5xdisneyfans - 76%
@chasingthtdream08 - 80%

@courtneybeth - 100%
@DisPup75 - 0%
@Dr Gunnie - 64%
@dsnyfn1022 - 77%
@dylans mommy - 78%

@JacknSally - 0%
@mamattorney - 65%
@MochaDrinker - 20%
@Oneanne - 100%/ 62%
@piglet1979 - 50%
@pjlla - 37.50%
@PoohBelle - 0%
@SarahDisney - 77%
@ski_mom - 55%
@tortilla24 - 72%

Congrats to all those who have made progress towards their goal! We’ve had some great progress this week, and I’m proud of everyone for working hard! For those who are struggling - we believe in you, and if you work hard, you can still make some amazing progress!

If you don’t see your name on the list, that means either you didn’t get me a progress report or (equally likely), I missed it. If you want your progress on this list, let me know and I’ll edit the post and get you in there!

I have a running question and this seems like a good place to ask it since there are so many runners in our group!

My DD19 and some of her friends have decided they want to do the Disney Princess 1/2 marathon in February 2018 (so almost 2 years from now). My DD (along with most of her friends) is not a runner at all, but she's wanting to challenge herself to do this. I'm excited for her and hope to be able to go down with her to cheer her on, but she's really pretty lost about how she should go about training for this.

I found a link to some Jeff Galloway training programs for the Disney races and the longest one for the Disney 1/2 marathon is a 21 (I think) week program. I think the one for February started the previous October. Obviously, she's got a lot longer than that.

Anyway, that's her situation, so I'd love any advice that I can pass along to her. She's very excited and motivated and I just want to help point her in the right direction.

I agree with @courtneybeth - it can definitely be done in that time frame.

I'd say start with a 5K. Have her sign up for a 5K in 2-3 months, and if she does okay with that, she can move on to a 10K program, and then a Half Marathon program.
Doing a 10K before the half is also a good idea for Disney, because it will give her an opportunity to submit a proof of time for a better start corral (the way runDisney half marathons work are that you can submit a 10K (or longer) proof of time, and the better your proof of time is, the earlier you start the race).

Basically ... she just has to start and see what works for her.

Doing a 10K before the half is also a good idea for Disney, because it will give her an opportunity to submit a proof of time for a better start corral

It's true! I am sprinting as fast as I can through Tink 10K to get that good proof of time. :rotfl:

I shouldn't be this excited but I'm going shopping tonight for new running shoes. My knees and calves are still sore from yesterday but I know the new shoes will help this over the next few races. :cool1:

Last edited:
After trying on every shoe in the store (top part of pic), I ended up choosing these beauties for my next pair of running shoes.

Asics Gel Kayano 22. The orange laces aren't standard - I needed longer laces and that's all that was in stock. It provides charm :)

FISP7Cz.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter