Marathon Weekend Weather

I keep telling myself that I won't freak out about the heat yet, but I am not pleased:crazy2:. Silly FL, why can't you behave and realize it is winter?:lmao: Here's hoping for a nice cold front to wonder our way this week and cool us off so that we don't have a bunch of overheated runners passing out all over the place;). Should be fun no matter what and I bought a new tank top just for this reason!

:) Bit your tongue. I race in Florida because it is not cold. Last long run was 40 and raining, I just want to be not cold on my next run.

:) Bit your tongue. I race in Florida because it is not cold. Last long run was 40 and raining, I just want to be not cold on my next run.

You do not want it to be 70's, trust me. The high today in Jacksonville was 77. I ran this evening and it was 66 after the sun went down and I was sweating like crazy wearing a skirt and a tank top on a 4 mile run. With no sun! Now rain, would not be fun, but 40 would be awesome! Even 50's would be great! If you are not used to running in hot weather it is brutal:sunny:

You do not want it to be 70's, trust me. The high today in Jacksonville was 77. I ran this evening and it was 66 after the sun went down and I was sweating like crazy wearing a skirt and a tank top on a 4 mile run. With no sun! Now rain, would not be fun, but 40 would be awesome! Even 50's would be great! If you are not used to running in hot weather it is brutal:sunny:

I live in Doha where the cool overnight lows in the summer are 95+ degrees. Even if you're used to it, running in the heat is still brutal. I'm hoping for start temps in the 40s, can live with 50s, and am dreading anything warmer than that.

The latest from the services this morning.

Still looking like a warm weekend. Spectators will like it, so that means most runners will be suffering once on the run. Sunrise is 7:19 for all three races. That means it will be light enough to see just before 7 AM.

NWS
7-Day forecast

Weather
5k – 58F – Hi 74F
Half – 59F – Hi 73F
Full – 48F – No Forecast

Wunderground
5k – 63F Fog – Hi 79F
Half – 63F Fog – Hi 77F
Full – 61F – Hi 733F

Accuweather
5k – 59F – Hi 81F
Half – 58F – Hi 81F
Full – 59F – Hi 82F

The norms for the race weekend are a low of 49F and high of 70F. This produces an average temp for race day of 59F.

I ran indoors last night to get the feel for the 70's

FFigawi said:
I live in Doha where the cool overnight lows in the summer are 95+ degrees. Even if you're used to it, running in the heat is still brutal. I'm hoping for start temps in the 40s, can live with 50s, and am dreading anything warmer than that.

I feel you, we have that but with insane humidity. Only difference, I live on the coast so it is rare to get above 100, thank goodness!!

Let's all do a cold front dance because I saw an 80 in the forecast today and that is a little too close to 2007, the day I ran on the sun, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I ran indoors last night to get the feel for the 70's

We did that as well last night, I plan on doing that for the remainder of my runs, aside from the "long" run on Sunday.
Felt like good practice, definitely better than running in the 30 degree temps we've been having up here. :thumbsup2

We did that as well last night, I plan on doing that for the remainder of my runs, aside from the "long" run on Sunday.
Felt like good practice, definitely better than running in the 30 degree temps we've been having up here. :thumbsup2

Same here - been on the treadmill in my 72 degree house instead of outside in the 17 degree weather for the past week! Might head out today for my last 4 miler though.

Intellicast shows 61 for half morning and 51 for full morning. I guess that isn't too bad. I would like to see the 61 drop to the high 50s, but it is still cooler than DL and most of the race will be in the dark.

Intellicast shows 61 for half morning and 51 for full morning. I guess that isn't too bad. I would like to see the 61 drop to the high 50s, but it is still cooler than DL and most of the race will be in the dark.

I actually think we will see the Sunday temps fall 10F or closer to norms through the weekend on all forecasts . Weather and Intellicast are on the same page.

The NOAA forecast for as far as it goes out seemed to parallel the Weather forecast.

See I'm the opposite. I prefer running in colder weather. Freezing or around freezing temps is my favorite weather for running.

See I'm the opposite. I prefer running in colder weather. Freezing or around freezing temps is my favorite weather for running.

Also a big fan of colder weather for running. Fingers and toes crossed for both days as I attempt the Goofy Challenge!

I ran a half last year that was in the upper 20's...waiting for the race to start was by far the BIGGEST challenge...once it started it actually began to feel great! Even jogging by the ocean with its waves crashing down and icy breeze felt refreshing! I stopped once at a pop and nearly froze over...so had to keep going....So overall, for a race its not bad when its real cold out.

My brother on the other hand ran a half where the temps were a balmy 80's and everyone was sweating BEFORE the race started! Needless to say his time was terrible and he felt miserable...but he crossed the finish line anyway.

So while I don't like cold standing around - I am brining warm clothes to ditch later on - its the blistering heat I worry about most....oh and lightening.

I love running in colder weather.

It's the wind that I hate. I've found that, around here anyway (downtown Washington, DC), the wind is always worse in the cold weather. I did mile repeats last weekend on the Mall, and it almost killed me. The wind was like a steady 18-20 mph, with big gusts (I didn't know this at the time, but there was a gale warning in effect). Temps were in the 30s.

I was trying to run ~8:20 miles and the wind was just like "no way, son. not today. not if I have anything to say about it." Every time I'd build some oomph, the wind would gust and almost push me backwards. Bleh.

I am very much hoping to finish Disney before the mercury rises too high. I did a full back in October; the start temp was around 50 degrees, but by the time I finished (4:10) it was up to 70. The temperature increase (and the blasted wind in my face at 12 mph for about 10 miles) really killed my time.

I love running in colder weather.

It's the wind that I hate. I've found that, around here anyway (downtown Washington, DC), the wind is always worse in the cold weather.

I am the exact same way. I don't mind running when it is cold out, but the wind just eats at me!

I'll take colder weather any day! Ran the Chicago marathon in 87 degrees...worst...run..ever!!!:eek:

Qltrgrl2 said:
Also a big fan of colder weather for running. Fingers and toes crossed for both days as I attempt the Goofy Challenge!

Me too! Definitely a cold weather runner. Needless to say, living in the Middle East has me annoying everyone with my whining about how hot it is.

The latest from the services this morning.

Still looking like a warm weekend. It’s not just the temperatures for many; it is also the humidity. I mentioned yesterday that I ran on the TM so get temps in the range of the race, but with aa heater on in the house, humidity was dry. Expect humidity levels to be 85-100% at the start and 65-75% through the days.

There is an old rule of thumb that says if temps are above 65F you should look to modify pace. There is a secondary rule that says if the combination of Temperature + Humidity > 130, you should consider adjusting pace. With the latter rule, one could be looking to pull back on pace at the start in many of the forecasts below… A race start of 55 with a 90% humidity yields a 145 so one should think it over. In a half, I probably would not adjust but for the full I would think about pulling back just a bit; depending on the forecast for the end.

NWS
7-Day forecast

Weather
5k – 59F – Hi 77F
Half – 58F – Hi 76F
Full – 57F – Hi 71F - Showers

Wunderground
5k – 64F – Hi 80F
Half – 63F Fog – Hi 79F
Full – 63F – Hi 75F

Accuweather
5k – 61F – Hi 78F
Half – 60F – Hi 75F
Full – 55F – Hi 60F - Showers

Intellicast
5k – 60F – Hi 80F
Half – 58F – Hi 79F
Full – 58F – Hi 74F - Showers

The norms for the race weekend are a low of 49F and high of 70F. This produces an average temp for race day of 59F.

Me too! Definitely a cold weather runner. Needless to say, living in the Middle East has me annoying everyone with my whining about how hot it is.

But its a dry heat, right? You know, just like my convection oven

cewait said:
But its a dry heat, right? You know, just like my convection oven

LOL no, not always dry. The morning humidity kicks in starting in early July and stays until early Sept. 430am runs in July & August start at heat index of 110-115. Today's run was quite pleasant, though. 70 degrees & 70% humidity at 530.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter