Marathon Weekend Weather

Looks like I'll be wearing a singlet and shorts for this race. I have some arm warmers that are pretty warm that I can easily knot and fix to my fuel belt. I run in calf compression sleeves if I'm wearing shorts so that will help keep my legs warmer pre-race. I guess those temps though and humidity should have me thankful I live in South Georgia where I'm more accustomed to the high heat and humidity than others. Still sucks. I'd rather it be much cooler.

You got to remember that most of the time a rain event in January is more of a nuisance than a rain. Think drizzle with a few puddles. That doesn’t mean that a significant rain will not occur, but less likely.

You got to remember that most of the time a rain event in January is more of a nuisance than a rain. Think drizzle with a few puddles. That doesn’t mean that a significant rain will not occur, but less likely.

Okay that does help. But damp with cold stinks too. But it doesn't look to be cold so I guess I'll be good. Nothing worse than running in wet shoes after stepping in a puddle you didn't see. Have more to pay attention to now.

Oooooh, I just found this thread. A whole thread over which I can continue to obsess about the weather! My productivity at work has dropped precipitously as the race nears...

I agree I'm hoping the rain holds off. I can handle some heat as I'm not looking to move fast, just finish. I did 90% of my training indoors on a track at 70-72 degrees, which doesn't account for humidity but means I might get to actually wear the clothes I trained in (shorts) on race day!

I have a LOT of trouble with standing around in the cold waiting for a race to start, I just can't stay warm even in layers. But it looks like we won't be dealing with that this year.

It seems I believe I can somehow CHANGE that weather forecast by checking it over and over and over again. I'm hoping not to be in the rain.

The latest from the services this morning.

As I fill in the blanks this morning, I see a Pacific front coming through Houston on Wednesday/Thursday. On the Gulf coast these are usually rain/shower generators with little to no chill. That explains the on again, off again rain over the weekend with little, if any cooling. The models are struggling with this front and how far into the peninsula the effect will travel.

NWS
5k – 63F – Hi 80F
Half – No Forecast
Full – No Forecast

Weather
5k – 59F – Hi 79F
Half – 60F – Hi 78F
Full – 59F – Hi 76F

Wunderground
5k – 55F – Hi 79F
Half – 66F – Hi 80F
Full – 66F – Hi 72F

Accuweather
5k – 65F – Hi 82F
Half – 63F – Hi 78F
Full – 59F – Hi 81F

Intellicast
5k – 60F – Hi 82F
Half – 61F – Hi 80F
Full – 60F – Hi 79F

The norms for the race weekend are a low of 49F and high of 70F. This produces an average temp for race day of 59F.

There is an old rule of thumb that says if temps are above 65F you should look to modify pace. There is a secondary rule that says if the combination of Temperature + Humidity > 130, you should consider adjusting pace. With the latter rule, one could be looking to pull back on pace at the start in many of the forecasts below… A race start of 55 with a 90% humidity yields a 145 so one should think it over. In a half, I probably would not adjust but for the full I would think about pulling back just a bit; depending on the forecast for the end.

In a warped sort of way, all sorts of things--including the weather-- are conspiring to get me to approach Goofy with a different mind set than my usual races. They want me to go slow, take it easy, have fun, stop and smell the roses (which,technically you could do with 1-2 detours).

Now all I have to do is just listen, put my ego aside (as they say in yoga) and "release the outcome" (as I once learned in a corporate training class--and it WAS a useful concept)

Maura

I agree... The great thing is that this seems solid enough so I will not have a checked bag weight issue from all the extra clothing...

So I am about to head out for a run but seriously Mother Nature, do you have to show me low 40's and RAIN. If I knew this would be a trial for something next weekend I would be 1000% more jazzed. I really need to have a good outside run .

I'm heading in doors to more closely mimic the FL conditions. And least it looks like I don't have to ask them to turn on the sprinklers anymore ;)

rocio said:
I'm heading in doors to more closely mimic the FL conditions. And least it looks like I don't have to ask them to turn on the sprinklers anymore ;)

Even my outdoor runs are too cool and I live in FL!! Crazy. Heading out for a heart-pounding 5K to shake up the legs before real rest time.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

OK it’s official. This year will be hotter than normal. It looks to have one of the 4 warmest start temps since 1998. Worse, it looks to be one of the three highest highs for a marathon weekend. The start temp has only been warmer than 57F three times and the high for marathon race days have only topped 78F twice since 98. For the record, the warmest start was the 07 marathon with a start temperature of 67F while the warmest finish was 2007 with a high of 84F. The second hottest marathon weekend was 2005.

I have a confession. I have stayed in OKW for the marathon twice in the last few years…. 2005 and 2007. Please, no stones.:rolleyes1

I did look at weather forecasts north of orlando to see where seasonal weather was located. I had to go to north Georgia to find temperatures nearing normal.

NWS
5k – 62F – Hi 80F
Half – 60F – Hi 79F
Full – No Forecast

Weather
5k – 63F – Hi 78F
Half – 61F – Hi 79F
Full – 58F – Hi 77F

Wunderground
5k – 64F – Hi 77F
Half – 63F – Hi 81F
Full – 63F – Hi 80F

Accuweather
5k – 62F – Hi 76F
Half – 60F – Hi 78F
Full – 62F – Hi 79F

Intellicast
5k – 64F – Hi 80F
Half – 62F – Hi 81F
Full – 60F – Hi 80F

The norms for the race weekend are a low of 49F and high of 70F. This produces an average temp for race day of 59F.

There is an old rule of thumb that says if temps are above 65F you should look to modify pace. There is a secondary rule that says if the combination of Temperature + Humidity > 130, you should consider adjusting pace. With the latter rule, one could be looking to pull back on pace at the start in many of the forecasts below… A race start of 55 with 90% humidity yields a 145 so one should think it over. In a half, I probably would not adjust but for the full I would think about pulling back just a bit; depending on the forecast for the end.

I have a confession. I have stayed in OKW for the marathon twice in the last few years…. 2005 and 2007. Please, no stones.:rolleyes1.

I think it's time we all chip in and put Coach up in a different hotel...far, far, far away from OKW! ;)

Seriously though hot and now "plenty of sun" has me stressed about the balloon ladies.

OK it’s official. This year will be hotter than normal.

Ok, Charles, if you're going to give us the bad news for the weekend, the least you could do is add the fourth day and let us know what we'll be dealing with during DATW on Monday. hint, hint :)

Ok, Charles, if you're going to give us the bad news for the weekend, the least you could do is add the fourth day and let us know what we'll be dealing with during DATW on Monday. hint, hint :)

I predict PERFECT rehydration weather. That would include hot, cold, foggy, sunny, and even diluted.

I think it's time we all chip in and put Coach up in a different hotel...far, far, far away from OKW! ;)

Seriously though hot and now "plenty of sun" has me stressed about the balloon ladies.

I am in the same boat...please let the balloon ladies be FAR BEHIND everyone...and the weather accomodating.

My tolerance for heat has lessened...I have to remember to buy a headband.

So I was skimming your latest forecast and my eyes went to "98"!:scared1: Oh well, looks like a light packing trip. The toss clothes I got at the last school garage sale have still not gotten used. First for NY marathon, andnow Goofy.

And guess I'll finally be wearing my WISH singlet again. I got it for Minnie in 2008 and haven't worn it since.

Maura

Just got back from a quick trip to the grocery store. It's 42F and the sun is coming up. I am wearing a long sleeved running shirt and cargo shorts. I see people looking at me like I am a little crazy. Then I see a couple other folks in the produce section dressed like me and know it's everyone else in long pants, sweatshirts and coats who are a little crazy.

:rolleyes1

Maybe it's been winter here too long, but I don't mind the way the weather looks. I'd rather be extra sweaty, then have frozen toes and be running on snow covered sidewalks...:rolleyes1 the real Dilemma is what I'll wear after the race. I usually wear compression socks and jeans, but that surely won't won't happen if it is 80 out. I hope I'm not the only one walking around the parks in compression socks with shorts on.

stitchfan18 said:
Maybe it's been winter here too long, but I don't mind the way the weather looks. I'd rather be extra sweaty, then have frozen toes and be running on snow covered sidewalks...:rolleyes1 the real Dilemma is what I'll wear after the race. I usually wear compression socks and jeans, but that surely won't won't happen if it is 80 out. I hope I'm not the only one walking around the parks in compression socks with shorts on.

This is me exactly, and I will be wearing compression socks or calf sleeves with shorts and no shame.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter