• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend Weather

I've been training with Sports Drinks with electrolytes. I had planned on not wearing my fuel belt with hydration holsters in favor of my fuel belt with only a small pocket and number clips. Does Disney offer Sports Drinks? I thought I had read they did at certain stops but not all of them. If so, which ones are they? I usually do not intake anything (food or drink) until at least 45 minutes into my run. I may need to re-think that strategy slightly if needed.

They serve Powerade but it is pretty watered down. I will bring my sports beans and alternate water and powerade from them. I did that at the Princess and it worked for me.

Re: Water & Electrolytes.

Do they generally hand out cups of water or small bottles? I am planning to bring either Electrolyte tablets or powder with me to make my own hydration drink (which I have used during training), and was wondering what to prepare for.

Thanks!
They hand out cups.

I've been training with Sports Drinks with electrolytes. I had planned on not wearing my fuel belt with hydration holsters in favor of my fuel belt with only a small pocket and number clips. Does Disney offer Sports Drinks? I thought I had read they did at certain stops but not all of them. If so, which ones are they? I usually do not intake anything (food or drink) until at least 45 minutes into my run. I may need to re-think that strategy slightly if needed.

Re: Water & Electrolytes.

Do they generally hand out cups of water or small bottles? I am planning to bring either Electrolyte tablets or powder with me to make my own hydration drink (which I have used during training), and was wondering what to prepare for.

Thanks!

Both good questions

All aid stations will have water and PowerAde (Green Flavor). The typical set up is 5-10 tables of water on both sides of the road followed by a simialr number of sport drink tables.

Note the sport drink is mixed about half strength for the race. Also, note that the bottled PowerAde formulation is not quite the same at the powdered version used by races. The reason for half strength is mainly to assure the powder mixes well in the cool to cold water.

All drinks are served in cups. Cups are usually filled about half way - so plan on 2-5 oz of fluid from each cup.

Dragitoff, since you are planning on running the entire distance, practice taking water from a cup on race day. I would set up a few half filled cups. Take one and whle running down the street, pinch the cup topso you have a small opening nearest you. Optionally, you can fold the top side over or just keep it pinched. I then kind of drink from the side of my mouth by tilting. Practice a few times, esle you will get wet only on the outside.

http://blog.timesunion.com/running/files/2010/07/cup_pinch.jpg - here is a photo of what I am saying when I say pinch the cup. I close off the section in my hand and drink from the opening away from my hand.

...After 2010 I will never be unprepared again.
The latest from the services this morning.
Remember, this is the dry season and without a change in temperature from a front, the chances of anything other than sprinkles is remote. I am not seeing where Accuweather is getting the energy source for the rain on Friday and Friday evening.

This will be one of the hotter marathons in Disney history at these forecasts. Prepare NOW. Start by thinking about your hydration actions taken earlier in the fall. Mid week next week, start hydrating and making sure that you are topping off the tank by sipping all day. Think of your hydration strategy and how warm mile 11-13 or 15-26 will be when the sun is out and beating on the pavement in front of you.

Now is not the time to not think of surviving a cool morning, and I would still have in my ‘take on trip’ stack a set of cool weather clothes.

NWS
7-Day forecast

Weather
5k – 60F – Hi 76F
Half – 56F – No forecast
Full – No Forecast

Wunderground
5k – 61F Fog – Hi 75F
Half – 61F Fog – Hi 73F
Full – 61F – No Forecast

Accuweather
5k – 59F – Hi 80F – Rain >50%
Half – 57F – Hi 77F
Full – 58F – Hi 77F

The norms for the race weekend are a low of 49F and high of 70F. This produces an average temp for race day of 59F.
A little warmer than I would like but not like the African Safari temps in '07 where I was victimized with no water during the "death march" portion of the event towards the end mileage. After that, I have NEVER gone without my one water bottle attached to my belt.

Also, with 2010 being so cold, I will still have my layers packed and may even bring them to throw down just cuz I've been saving them all year for the event!
:yay:

Small Dixie like cups usually half filled. I usually always bring one water bottle on my belt. However it is usually not necessary to bring your own to events.

Okay, thank you, Tiger Lily! I think I will plan on relying on the Disney drinks, rather than carrying my own.

They serve Powerade but it is pretty watered down. I will bring my sports beans and alternate water and powerade from them. I did that at the Princess and it worked for me.

They hand out cups.

Thanks, rocio!
Both good questions

All aid stations will have water and PowerAde (Green Flavor). The typical set up is 5-10 tables of water on both sides of the road followed by a simialr number of sport drink tables.

Note the sport drink is mixed about half strength for the race. Also, note that the bottled PowerAde formulation is not quite the same at the powdered version used by races. The reason for half strength is mainly to assure the powder mixes well in the cool to cold water.

All drinks are served in cups. Cups are usually filled about half way - so plan on 2-5 oz of fluid from each cup.

Thanks, Coach! I will plan on that amount for my hydration mixes.

A little warmer than I would like but not like the African Safari temps in '07 where I was victimized with no water during the "death march" portion of the event towards the end mileage. After that, I have NEVER gone without my one water bottle attached to my belt.

Also, with 2010 being so cold, I will still have my layers packed and may even bring them to throw down just cuz I've been saving them all year for the event!
:yay:

I like your Mayor McCheese Sash in the photos... Mine is on the frame I had made for the 2010 weekend

Both good questions

Dragitoff, since you are planning on running the entire distance, practice taking water from a cup on race day. I would set up a few half filled cups. Take one and whle running down the street, pinch the cup topso you have a small opening nearest you. Optionally, you can fold the top side over or just keep it pinched. I then kind of drink from the side of my mouth by tilting. Practice a few times, esle you will get wet only on the outside.

http://blog.timesunion.com/running/files/2010/07/cup_pinch.jpg - here is a photo of what I am saying when I say pinch the cup. I close off the section in my hand and drink from the opening away from my hand.

Tips like these are why you're the best coach in the biz! I fuel with Clif Shot Bloks so I'm getting electrolytes through those as well. I'm also accustomed to running in the south's high humidity so it may not bother me as much as others. I will; however, have to rethink my attire. My kids made me a running shirt to wear in the marathon and unfortunately, it's color and size make it not so attractive on my 215lb frame without an under-shirt (compression shirt with sleeves is what I usually wear in colder temps). Looks like I'll be wearing a singlet and my removeable sleeves. Might just let them decorate the singlet for me.

My biggest concern is between mile 9 and 12. Looks like almost 2.5 miles between water stops. I programmed my garmin so I could practice my hydration based on the water stop locations. Seems like this is to long for me between water stops and I over drink at mile 12 and get bad GI issues. Thinking about running with a small bottle to fill at mile 9 to get me through to 12.

My biggest concern is between mile 9 and 12. Looks like almost 2.5 miles between water stops. I programmed my garmin so I could practice my hydration based on the water stop locations. Seems like this is to long for me between water stops and I over drink at mile 12 and get bad GI issues. Thinking about running with a small bottle to fill at mile 9 to get me through to 12.

Hmm, thanks for pointing that out...I hadn't noticed that. From what I remember that portion of the route had lots of trees = shade...but still...

Anyhoo, my strategy is to try to remember to alternate water/Powerade at each stop and that got me through last year. :)

Hmm, thanks for pointing that out...I hadn't noticed that. From what I remember that portion of the route had lots of trees = shade...but still...

Anyhoo, my strategy is to try to remember to alternate water/Powerade at each stop and that got me through last year. :)

You also have to consider the time of morning you will be hitting those specific spots. I printed the map and got a breakdown of each corral starting time to estimate when I'd hit each spot. I did this more for my family to give them an estimate of when I'd be passing through spectator viewing areas, but it is also good at determining when you'd hit the toughest (and hottest) spots on the course. I hadn't thought of doing it for the aid stations until this weekend when I decided to pass on wearing my fuel belt with drink holsters.

I will definitely be doing that though. I usually don't start fueling/drinking anything until at least 45 minutes into my run. Then, I drink a little something every 20-30 minutes or so and re-fuel every 45 minutes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you may be looking at just the aid stations, not the water stations. They are marked with a W

I always carry a water bottle with me. I remember '07 and was so glad I had my bottle. The other problem I saw was some stations had the gallon bottles of water, but ran out of cups. I was able to get some poured into my water bottle so I had a refill.

Actually, it's just a hair over 2 miles... 2.2 ish. Not much different than the delta between the TTC and Backstage MK.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/156764913/ ( the staions are approximate and based on historic locations as best I can fix them and where located near old locations)

You also have to consider the time of morning you will be hitting those specific spots. I printed the map and got a breakdown of each corral starting time to estimate when I'd hit each spot. I did this more for my family to give them an estimate of when I'd be passing through spectator viewing areas, but it is also good at determining when you'd hit the toughest (and hottest) spots on the course. I hadn't thought of doing it for the aid stations until this weekend when I decided to pass on wearing my fuel belt with drink holsters.

I will definitely be doing that though. I usually don't start fueling/drinking anything until at least 45 minutes into my run. Then, I drink a little something every 20-30 minutes or so and re-fuel every 45 minutes.

I have a spreadsheet that may help, if needed. PM your email

On the map provided from Run Disney. Looks like a W around 9.4 and the next just before 12. puts me 25 to 30 min between water or between 7:30 and 8:00 am. Don't know how sunny or hot it will be during these miles.

Not saying that 30mins is to long between stops. Just in training on my long runs with these water stops. Mile 12 was the only time I felt really thirsty and thus over drank which caused me GI problems every time. Guess I am just better off with small drinks more often than drinking lots spread out.

Sounds like it probably won't be needed, but here's what my local running store told me to do to dry out wet running shoes. It works pretty well.

Remove the insoles.
Stuff newspaper into the shoes for 1 hour.
Take that newspaper out and replace it with new newspaper. Leave it in for 2-3 hours.
Take that newspaper out and replace it with new newspaper. Leave it in overnight.

I know the resorts don't deliver newspapers anyone, but I think you can get them at the front desk...? :confused3

My runs lately have either been on the treadmill or in 20-degree weather with wind and snow...so hopefully I'm prepared for anything at this point. :rotfl2: :faint:

Blatant product plug here, but I owned two pair for about five years, then bought four more pair for all my various shoes (cycling/running/spinning/etc). These things work. http://stuffitts.com/ Really helpful for when you have to pack up the shoes the next morning to fly out and need them to be dry by then.

Both good questions

Late post is late, but one of my runner coworkers mentioned what he does for halfs. He takes a Mcdonalds straw and cuts it in half, them puts one in each pocket/side of his visor and uses that to drink while running (same grab cup/pinch method, followed by straw). After he's done, back in his visor/pocket.

His reason for the half straw is the cups are smaller so it's fine, and inevitably, you will lose one so it's nice to have the backup.

Just another method if you're used to grabbing a water bottle/camelback bottle versus cup.

Late post is late, but one of my runner coworkers mentioned what he does for halfs. He takes a Mcdonalds straw and cuts it in half, them puts one in each pocket/side of his visor and uses that to drink while running (same grab cup/pinch method, followed by straw). After he's done, back in his visor/pocket.

His reason for the half straw is the cups are smaller so it's fine, and inevitably, you will lose one so it's nice to have the backup.

Just another method if you're used to grabbing a water bottle/camelback bottle versus cup.

The infamous "Getah" straw from RunnersWorld forum. It does work, but I have left it behind because I'm just as likely to lose them out of my pocket and just pinching the cup works good enough--but it does take practice. Nothing wrong with the straw though. It does work very well if you don't drop them at mile 2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter