• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2017!

What is one little-known tip you'd like to pass along to those participating for the first time? -or -What is something you wish you'd known before your first runDisney race weekend?
I'll start it off with this: How much time did you spend in the parks the day before the race?

TIP - Don't eat at condiment bars or even buffets before races...specifically Pecos Bills and their guacamole/salsas, so basically avoid eating anything that sits out that could lead to a food illness. Trust me it leads to a very bad experience! Probably avoid eating at any rich or really adventurous places that you aren't used to as well.

Park Touring - We spend the day before in the parks but turn in early or at least get out of the parks around 6:30 or so to get off our feet. Probably don't do multiple laps around World Showcase touring the day before.

I'll start it off with this: How much time did you spend in the parks the day before the race?
I go to the parks every day. The day before the 5K I was in the parks all day until illuminations at Epcot. I don't know if I'll do that with dopey this year but going to the parks is all part of the marathon weekend experience.

ATTQOTD: My tip would be to keep in mind that there is a walk of about a mile from the bag check area to the starting corrals and lots of walking before the races. I averaged about 2 miles of walking before, and another mile of walking after, each race. If you have trained for the distances that you are running, this should not be a problem - but if you are already "borderline" trained, this could really cost you.

As for the parks - I don't limit my park time until the night before the half and/or full. Walking helps my legs (though it makes my feet tired).

Happy Sunday everyone! 19 weeks to go. I took the week off due to a bum foot, but I hope you're all feeling fit and fast.

This week's Sundays are for Disney question is a guest submission from @Ariel484:

What is one little-known tip you'd like to pass along to those participating for the first time? -or -What is something you wish you'd known before your first runDisney race weekend?

First-timers, chime in with something you'd like to know about the race weekend.

Time in the parks: We usually go to a park on Thursday after the 5K and have never had difficulties because of it. We aren't AP holders, so our ticketing and park situation is different than others; I'm sure if we were AP holders or had planned more park days we wouldn't have any issues. We have spent a lot of time in Disney Springs on other days and generally aren't holed up in our hotel room. I think you need to be active during the day after each race, particularly when you are part of a challenge, and going to the parks would be a perfectly acceptable way to achieve this goal.

Little-known tips: -Not sure how little-known it is, but 20,000+ people is a lot of people. Like, a lot. For a pretty decent amount of time before the race and in the first few miles, those people are going to be in very close quarters. Despite the best intentions of the race organizers and the magical locale some of those people are going to be having bad days or will be predisposed to disagreeable behavior. Try not to let a few bad eggs influence your experience.
-If you are staying at POR, do not use the back bus depots on race days. The buses almost always fill up at the front depot and rarely even bother coming back to check if there are people waiting at the back depots. Maybe this has changed, but we were out back twice for 30+ minutes without seeing a bus and wondering whether we were going to miss a race.
-In general, the lines don't get shorter in the 5K and 10K. If you want to stop for characters, you should just suck it up and get in line if you see a picture you would like to get. On the converse, the lines do get shorter during the Half and, in particular, the Full.
-I've heard of people doing basically every type of sleep plan. It's always going to be tough waking up at 2:30 or 3:00 AM but it is possible and, I think, really important to get some sleep. Have a plan.
-Disney is full of every rich food offering you could imagine. It is really tempting to want to eat them all. It can also be really detrimental to a 3.1, 6.2, 13.1 or 26.2-mile run. Once again, have a plan and I'd suggest saving the really indulgent stuff to celebrate after your race(s) are done.

I'm sure there are a lot of things I'm forgetting. I don't think I've reinvented the wheel with any of these suggestions, but hopefully there's something useful for someone

Time in the parks: We usually go to a park on Thursday after the 5K and have never had difficulties because of it. We aren't AP holders, so our ticketing and park situation is different than others; I'm sure if we were AP holders or had planned more park days we wouldn't have any issues. We have spent a lot of time in Disney Springs on other days and generally aren't holed up in our hotel room. I think you need to be active during the day after each race, particularly when you are part of a challenge, and going to the parks would be a perfectly acceptable way to achieve this goal.

Little-known tips: -Not sure how little-known it is, but 20,000+ people is a lot of people. Like, a lot. For a pretty decent amount of time before the race and in the first few miles, those people are going to be in very close quarters. Despite the best intentions of the race organizers and the magical locale some of those people are going to be having bad days or will be predisposed to disagreeable behavior. Try not to let a few bad eggs influence your experience.
-If you are staying at POR, do not use the back bus depots on race days. The buses almost always fill up at the front depot and rarely even bother coming back to check if there are people waiting at the back depots. Maybe this has changed, but we were out back twice for 30+ minutes without seeing a bus and wondering whether we were going to miss a race.
-In general, the lines don't get shorter in the 5K and 10K. If you want to stop for characters, you should just suck it up and get in line if you see a picture you would like to get. On the converse, the lines do get shorter during the Half and, in particular, the Full.
-I've heard of people doing basically every type of sleep plan. It's always going to be tough waking up at 2:30 or 3:00 AM but it is possible and, I think, really important to get some sleep. Have a plan.
-Disney is full of every rich food offering you could imagine. It is really tempting to want to eat them all. It can also be really detrimental to a 3.1, 6.2, 13.1 or 26.2-mile run. Once again, have a plan and I'd suggest saving the really indulgent stuff to celebrate after your race(s) are done.

I'm sure there are a lot of things I'm forgetting. I don't think I've reinvented the wheel with any of these suggestions, but hopefully there's something useful for someone
Good point about resorts with multiple bus stops. When I stayed at POR I went to the main bus stop as well.

My tip: Pack two garbage bags per every race you are running. One for your head/body. And the second step into with your feet and wrap them around. It helps keep your feet/shoes dry until the race starts.

My tip for someone doing their first RunDisney: This will likely be the largest running event you've participated in. Soak in the "big time" environment. But remember because it is a big time event, there are a lot of people out on the course. Don't fret if it gets too congested and do your best to enjoy the moment. And be courteous!

As for park time: This is still a family vacation for us. The deal between my wife and I as that my racing can not infringe on the family's trip. So I participate in 95% of all of the activities they do. To practice this, when I do my training I don't sit around and rest afterwards. I typically have a full day's worth of activities every day. Do your best to simulate the experience come race day.

Tips:
  1. If you can, drive to the start/finish.
  2. It is a long walk to the Marathon start, but unless you're in an early corral you don't need to schlep on out there at 5am.
  3. If you've got family and friends dropping you off at Epcot and then going to MK to chear you on, have them go early.

Has anyone done a Snow White costume? I'd love to see photos of it or of any costumes you'd like to share. I'm more likely to do 'inspired" costumes rather than actual costumes

My tip builds on the expect anything whether wise, and you will be standing around for a long time before the race.

As race day approaches check the weather. If there is a chance that it's going to be cold go to the thrift store and get some throw away clothes. A Bathrobe, Fleece jacket and sweat pants all work well. If you choose sweats cut the elastic out of the bottom and make a slit up from the ankle so you can easily get them off without taking your shoes off. On more than one Marathon weekend I've had to make a last minute trip to target in Orlando to get throw away stuff.

Make sure you have at least one pair of running shoes in your carry on, if you don't keep a complete set of running stuff in it. Yes, I've had my checked bag lost and yes it was stressful.

If you are from up north be start out slower than you think particularly for the marathon if it's going to be hot. (this does not apply to Cheap Runner Mike). If you've been training in cool northern weather (in nov and December the heat and humity in Florida can really shock your body).

If you are staying on Property, are taking the bus to the start for the Half in particular, and are in one of the earlier corrals (A-F) get to the bus stop in time to get on the first bus. We have had bus drivers take wrong turns. (The race morning bus drivers are MEARs drivers and they may not be familiar with routes) It wound up taking over an hour to get from POR to the bus drop-off. We basically made it into the corral just in time for the start but it was more stress than anyone needs before a half marathon.

In addition to all of the other great tips, bring a plastic grocery bag for after the race. You get so much stuff in addition to your medal (water, Powerade, snackbox, banana) that it's hard to carry it all! I take one in my skirt pocket.
That's a great tip,I've been doing that for a couple of years now after having had a couple of races where I could not hold everything that they were giving after the race,in addition to my phone that I hold throughout most of my races.I have a small spibelt that my phone fits in and a bigger running belt but after the race I usually need my phone out to contact and find family and those belts just hold other essentials like chews and bodyglide,everything else you get its your hands or a bag you bring.

My tip: Pack two garbage bags per every race you are running. One for your head/body. And the second step into with your feet and wrap them around. It helps keep your feet/shoes dry until the race starts.

I understand the appeal and usefulness of garbage bags, especially when it's raining, but I really wish people wouldn't use them. They are a huge safety/tripping hazard in the morning when it's still dark out because most people simply drop them on the ground as they approach the start. If you are going to use them, please be kind to your fellow runners and throw them over the barriers and out of the road so the people behind you won't trip and fall on them. Even better, use one of the clear plastic ponchos available for a buck or two at drug stores and discount stores everywhere. Clear plastic is much easier to see than the black garbage bags if it ends up on the ground in the middle of the course.

Friendly tip #2: the blue booties you get at hospitals and other places work great for keeping your shoes dry and your feet warm when it's wet.

I understand the appeal and usefulness of garbage bags, especially when it's raining, but I really wish people wouldn't use them. They are a huge safety/tripping hazard in the morning when it's still dark out because most people simply drop them on the ground as they approach the start. If you are going to use them, please be kind to your fellow runners and throw them over the barriers and out of the road so the people behind you won't trip and fall on them. Even better, use one of the clear plastic ponchos available for a buck or two at drug stores and discount stores everywhere. Clear plastic is much easier to see than the black garbage bags if it ends up on the ground in the middle of the course.

Friendly tip #2: the blue booties you get at hospitals and other places work great for keeping your shoes dry and your feet warm when it's wet.

I agree with this. My trash bags always end up in the garbage cans along the walking route to the starting line. All my materials (extra clothes, water bottles, blankets, trash bags) always end up in the appropriate collection bin whether it be trash or donation. Remember that 10,000-20,000 runners will be walking/running where you just were standing. Thanks for pointing this out.

Hi all,
My top tip, bring your normal pre run breakfast/ favourite coffee with you, don't rely on being able to find it at Disney. Nothing worse than having to alter your pre race routine at the last minute... Assuming you're as neurotic as I am

I AM as neurotic as you are and agree with your tip! :)

You're not neurotic, you'll following the best advice for any race: nothing new on race day

Hi all,
My top tip, bring your normal pre run breakfast/ favourite coffee with you, don't rely on being able to find it at Disney. Nothing worse than having to alter your pre race routine at the last minute... Assuming you're as neurotic as I am
Just to add - my biggest reason for doing this is that by the time race weekend rolls around, I have figured out what works for me during longer runs (i.e. - what I can eat so that I don't bonk and so that I don't need to spend half of the race in a bathroom). That is motivation enough to bring my own stuff! :eek:

I wish I had known how much standing around waiting in the corrals was going to hurt my legs. My first race I was convinced I needed to be at the front of the corral so I got there super early and got into my corral as soon as it opened. I stood there for 2 hours and my legs were killing me before I even ran a step. Now I wait a little longer to get there and sit down on the side until they close the corral.

The day before the race I might do a couple hours in the park but try to be out by dinner time to get enough rest.

When I did Goofy in 2015, we went to MK right after the half. I would guess we spent about 7 hours there. However, I did take it easy. Not a whole lot of walking around. Lots of breaks, drank lots of water and watched what I ate. I was back at the hotel and in bed at a decent hour and ready for the full bright and early the next morning. Weather was perfect as well, so that helped with not draining a lot of energy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter