Marathon Weekend 2017!

I'm the opposite on arrival time.. I am one of those people that wants to get there so I dont have to worry about it.. I will be on one of the first buses out of AKL (all 4 days doing dopey) I've just seen what showing up 'later' does.. All that would do would be add to my nerves.. I get there.. Talk to other people.. Once we get to the corrals, I'll find a nice comfy area along the fences and chill out.. Sure if it's raining may need to adjust, but I am a firm believer in "To be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late, and to be late is to be left" I mean so much so that just talking about being on time or late sends my breathing and heart rate up :D..

As far as others, has been mentioned before, but even though you are at Disney, remember your training, especially your diet... It's not that I wont have some different stuff, but it will be early in the day so it gets a chance to get thru me :D. And after the 5k I'll pretty much tour as usual, after the 10k, I will really cut back, after the 1/2 I will cool down, do some light walking, but will pretty much do pool time / relax that day. After the marathon, well I do what I can.. And that is also when the food vac kicks in.. A couple hours after the full, keep your hands away from food unless you want to take the chance of me biting you lol..

I wish I had known how much standing around waiting in the corrals was going to hurt my legs. My first race I was convinced I needed to be at the front of the corral so I got there super early and got into my corral as soon as it opened. I stood there for 2 hours and my legs were killing me before I even ran a step. Now I wait a little longer to get there and sit down on the side until they close the corral.
I actually stand at the very back of the corral. Lots more space to sit/stand/stretch/scratch myself, and I get an ever-so-slight feeling of superiority over the folks pressed up against the barrier in the corral behind me. Of course, last time around those folks included 2 sweet ladies my age holding balloons...

I actually stand at the very back of the corral. Lots more space to sit/stand/stretch/scratch myself, and I get an ever-so-slight feeling of superiority over the folks pressed up against the barrier in the corral behind me. Of course, last time around those folks included 2 sweet ladies my age holding balloons...

This was actually my tip. If you aren't worried about getting swept, consider starting at the very back of the corral. Our first two race weekends we got as close up to the front of the corral as possible. Our last weekend doing Goofy, we stayed at the very back of the corral. We could sit with our backs against the railing and had plenty of room. Once we got to the start of the race, we had so much space around us when we started and for the

What is one little-known tip you'd like to pass along to those participating for the first time? -or -What is something you wish you'd known before your first runDisney race weekend?
As someone who gets overwhelmed quickly by a lot of visual and audible stimulation, I wish I'd known just how. much. visual and audible stimuli there are in rD races. I found it all rather overwhelming the first race I did. The expo left me with a migraine: I learned that I need to get in and get out quickly. And that I don't really need to hear the nonstop pre-race banter, so plugging in my earbuds helps me tune that out.

I'll start it off with this: How much time did you spend in the parks the day before the race?
None! I rarely go to the parks before long distances races. I may go hit a ride or two, but I try to stay off my feet as much as possible.

I love starting from the back of corrals!

I wish I had known how much standing around waiting in the corrals was going to hurt my legs. My first race I was convinced I needed to be at the front of the corral so I got there super early and got into my corral as soon as it opened. I stood there for 2 hours and my legs were killing me before I even ran a step. Now I wait a little longer to get there and sit down on the side until they close the corral.

The day before the race I might do a couple hours in the park but try to be out by dinner time to get enough rest.

Sit down in the corral as much as possible before the race. I've brought empty pizza boxes from the food court to sit on. It's a good conversation starter!

As someone who gets overwhelmed quickly by a lot of visual and audible stimulation, I wish I'd known just how. much. visual and audible stimuli there are in rD races. I found it all rather overwhelming the first race I did. The expo left me with a migraine: I learned that I need to get in and get out quickly. And that I don't really need to hear the nonstop pre-race banter, so plugging in my earbuds helps me tune that out.

For real - this times 100! My very first RunDisney race was the Disneyland 5K last year. It was much bigger than any other race I'd done - even the RnR race I'd done earlier in the year for PoT. It was a little overwhelming, but I thought doing the 5K would help me "prepare" mentally for the Half two days later. BOY, that was an optimistic train of thought.

The half was overwhelming - and then the half and full at WDW during Dopey were even more so. Just SO many people, so many corrals, just SO MUCH.

For real - this times 100! My very first RunDisney race was the Disneyland 5K last year. It was much bigger than any other race I'd done - even the RnR race I'd done earlier in the year for PoT. It was a little overwhelming, but I thought doing the 5K would help me "prepare" mentally for the Half two days later. BOY, that was an optimistic train of thought.

The half was overwhelming - and then the half and full at WDW during Dopey were even more so. Just SO many people, so many corrals, just SO MUCH.
Right?! So different from even the biggest local races I run, where things tend to be rather low-key and quiet before the start. I've been thinking about how to describe it to an rD newbie... I think it's probably on the level of a rock concert.

Looking for a quick crash course on driving into the races on your own. I am a relative novice when it comes to the WDW area so, unfortunately, providing street names is a little like trying to communicate in a foreign language for me at this point. Assuming we can use GPS navigation to get where we need to go... 1. I'm assuming it is the primary Epcot parking lot?, 2. Is parking free?, and 3. Will someone be directing us where to park or is it pretty self-explanatory?

I realize it is a long way off and that these are pretty ridiculous questions, but I've had some others in our group inquire about these questions and couldn't really give an answer other than, "It seems like it should be pretty easy from everything I've heard." Thanks for any help.

1. Yes, you follow the signs for Epcot off World Drive and head into the lots. Plenty of buses, cars, and orange cones from Bob's to guide you.
2. Yes, parking is free
3. Plenty of volunteers out guiding you to open lanes and spaces.

1. Yes, you follow the signs for Epcot off World Drive and head into the lots. Plenty of buses, cars, and orange cones from Bob's to guide you.

Funny you should mention it, but that was one of the things that stuck in my mind for some reason. I don't know who this Bob guy is, but dayyyuummm he's got some cones!!!

2. Yes, parking is free

Thanks!

Looking for a quick crash course on driving into the races on your own. I am a relative novice when it comes to the WDW area so, unfortunately, providing street names is a little like trying to communicate in a foreign language for me at this point. Assuming we can use GPS navigation to get where we need to go... 1. I'm assuming it is the primary Epcot parking lot?, 2. Is parking free?, and 3. Will someone be directing us where to park or is it pretty self-explanatory?

I realize it is a long way off and that these are pretty ridiculous questions, but I've had some others in our group inquire about these questions and couldn't really give an answer other than, "It seems like it should be pretty easy from everything I've heard." Thanks for any help.
You already have direct answers, but I'll just chime in and say that it truly is very easy! I drive to all WDW races, regardless of where I stay. All you need do is follow signs to EP, then follow the line of other cars and the CMs showing you where to go. :thumbsup2

To make getting back out easier, I highly recommend the following steps upon arrival:
1. be sure to turn off lights (I always see plenty of cars left with lights on)
2. snap a pic or write a note showing which row you parked in: name and row number (ex. Discover 48)

2. Yes, parking is free
Easy peasy, but get there early. Also, family/friends/supporters can park for free, but they need to get there before the park opens or else they'll be charged (unless they're resort guests).

First-timers, chime in with something you'd like to know about the race weekend.

I have picked up SO many great tips here already. One question I have (that I don't think has been mentioned) is this: Is the sun in your eyes on the way back from the MK to Epcot during the 1/2? I have a really hard time running into the sun for some reason, even with a hat. I do much better with the sun to my back!

-If you are staying at POR, do not use the back bus depots on race days. The buses almost always fill up at the front depot and rarely even bother coming back to check if there are people waiting at the back depots. Maybe this has changed, but we were out back twice for 30+ minutes without seeing a bus and wondering whether we were going to miss a race.

Thanks for this! We are staying at POR!

To practice this, when I do my training I don't sit around and rest afterwards. I typically have a full day's worth of activities every day. Do your best to simulate the experience come race day.

With a toddler and a Kindergartener, there is no thing as 'taking it easy' around our house! Kids are staying home for the trip and I am hoping that the craziness our day to day life will help me have more post race energy!

I have picked up SO many great tips here already. One question I have (that I don't think has been mentioned) is this: Is the sun in your eyes on the way back from the MK to Epcot during the 1/2? I have a really hard time running into the sun for some reason, even with a hat. I do much better with the sun to my back!
Yes. I end up carrying sunglasses in my hand and then putting them on when the sun is up.

I cant' remember which direction it was, but if you're in a middle to back corral, yes - if sunny, it'll be in your face at some point.

-If you are staying at POR, do not use the back bus depots on race days. The buses almost always fill up at the front depot and rarely even bother coming back to check if there are people waiting at the back depots. Maybe this has changed, but we were out back twice for 30+ minutes without seeing a bus and wondering whether we were going to miss a race.

I haven't done POR for a race before, but I have done CBR and they had race CM's/volunteers at every stop! I am not sure about CSR though...I thought I saw people at the stops when we drove through them, but we went to the food court to get a bottled water or something and boarded at the main stop.

A couple of general bus thoughts -- For those staying at AKL - hooray for you! Their bussing is amazing. They always had busses lined up just waiting to pull up when the first one left. For those staying at BC - arrive early. Like really, really early. Last time I stayed there was W&D half of a half and had it not been delayed 2+hours I may have been late to line up because rundisney insists on having those busses stop at every Boardwalk/EP area resort. We were in line at least a half hour before the suggested cut off. But after stopping at BWI, Swan, Dolphin, YC and THEN BC, the busses fit like 4 people. The line stretched to the lobby until they finally sent us our own bus. Hopefully they have fixed this the last race or two.

In addition to all of the other great tips, bring a plastic grocery bag for after the race. You get so much stuff in addition to your medal (water, Powerade, snackbox, banana) that it's hard to carry it all! I take one in my skirt pocket.

Or, you can be like me, and you can sit on the ground shivering because you have your brother, aunt and cousin hold your bag for you. What brother, aunt and cousin forget to mention, is instead of going to the course to cheer you on, they sit in the Polynesian lobby and take naps. So when you cross the finish line, drop your powerade and banana 6x, before stumbling to find a rubber beach chair circa 1993 that has been in storage since what I can only imagine was the first rehab of the BC resort, you can sit there freezing in your tank top with no magicband to buy your celebratory I survived champagne because brother, aunt and cousin had no idea you'd finished and are still trying to find the Poly monorail. Ah, Marathon Weekend 2016 :)

Right?! So different from even the biggest local races I run, where things tend to be rather low-key and quiet before the start. I've been thinking about how to describe it to an rD newbie... I think it's probably on the level of a rock concert.

My first race was a disney race. I find most all other races too boring now! I told my runner friend how amazing the rundisney expos are and how fun - she was like yeah I know a lot of races have expos. It's not the same Kelly. It's not the same!

In a word, yes. Unless you are very fast. As soon as I hit the Poly-ish area of the course it hits me right in the eye.

Yes. I end up carrying sunglasses in my hand and then putting them on when the sun is up.

I've been struggling with how to deal with the sunglasses question myself. I typically run with them when it's not dark, but haven't figured out how to carry them until I need them. Carrying them in my hand won't work for me because I don't close them tight enough when running. I guess I'll have to do some experimenting on this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter